Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

If steroids are legal what's the point of referees? That's your argument?

I know it sounds bananas but I think the refs are a ped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
lol

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

Like in glorious Canadar tren is schedule 4. Get up on it

Weeds legal in my state of WA, RUS

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Bisping destroyed BJJ brownbelt Charles Chainsaw McCarthy

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

big money big clit posted:

Romero is going to hit Bisping very very hard because he hits everyone very very hard, and Bisping gets hit hard by everyone. And that will probably lead to Bisping getting KOed.

Last time I thought this was that Aldo would KO Conor

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Stipe would kill jon jones

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mr. Nice! posted:

I won't be surprised with Maia outgrappling anyone ever especially after hearing Frank Mir praise him so much. For those that haven't heard, Frank Mir's response when asked about rolling with Maia was "oh yeah he totally raped me. He could have had his way with me and there was nothing I could do about it."

Is maia also his wifes name

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
masvidal made himself look legit by beating up two old guys and another out of class LW in cerrone but hes really not a stud ww IMO

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

I get wha you're saying but arguably beating Larkin and Maia makes you a stud at ww. Masvidal will be remembered for all the great fighters he arguably beat.

maia and larkin are beneficiaries of people leaving and getting old/mentally breaking

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

His destruction of magny was impressive

JaySB posted:

I dunno if you can call Donald Cerrone an out of class LW after he bodied 4 tough people at WW....

Im probably going too hard in the other direction. but Um yeah I think cerrone, magny, masvidal and maia are all beneficiaries of a lot of guys flaming out at once

story, ellenberger, condit, kampmann, hendricks, etc. was a superior group of dudes in their primes, imo. These guys picked them off as they aged out from being beaten up n stuff. I think that class of WWs we saw with the guys i meantioned plus pyle, peirce, brown, and so on. THats the best MMA has been so far, IMO.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

all those dudes except Hendricks and pierce were good not great. Hendricks was great/elite, pierce was flat bad. Maia is great, Cerrone is great and will retire with some fun records, masvidal has potential he hasn't realized

utter disagree

cerrone was a great lw. agree hendricks was great. if maia was great it wouldn't have been until now that he broke through

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 16, 2017

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

Masvidal's entire career is all "that kid has potential if only he stopped being stupid"

He's 32.

i bought it for a long time . f dog talked me out of it

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

Well, Maia is dogshit to watch but beat a pile of fools on your list. Cerrone will never be champ, masvidal will never be champ, but like.... why isn't your list the actual good fighters from that era like Jake shields and rory

maias solid, he just didnt stand at the top til people like hendricks and condit mental failed, and others got old/left cuz ufc didnt pay up

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

I love Condit so very much, but the man who could not stay upright probably wouldn't have ever beaten Maia in a three rounder.

fair but he was in the division the whole time. the rock paper scissors style makes fights game overall favored condit, though. thats why he fought for the title and maia didnt. maia was part of the insanity of that time. hes bisping like in sticking around so long at the almost top level until it pays off

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
he made mw better because his initial streak put the division on notice

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
maia and jason macdonald submitted 7 (incl jmac himself) different mws from 06 to 09. ed herman got choked by both.2 were contenders (leben + sonnen) and hermen, lambert, and jay mac were all likely guys to make the next step. then around 2010 munoz, simpson, and maybe 2-3 other guys came and stepped the wrestling up above nate marquardt levels.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Condit got his title shot against Lawler after notching one straight win and going 2-3 in his last five.

he had a close and great fight with the champ hendricks and the weird L to Woodley. hed already transcended to the top at that point. After you put GSP in legit danger and a good fight for the first time in years, you graduate a little bit.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Unfunny Poster posted:

It was a single kick that caused his knee to blow out. I wouldn't say that's an rear end kicking and just a random injury that happened a la Silva breaking his leg in the rematch with Weidman. It's a loss sure, but it's still a random unintended injury that stops the fight mid tempo when neither guy is expecting it to happen.

Edit - Check that, it wasn't a kick. It was after Woodley landed on Condit's need during a scramble and when Condit got back up a light kick caused it to buckle further.

Watch it here if you have Fight Pass

https://www.ufc.tv/video/tyron-woodley-vs-carlos-condit-ufc-171

Its totally normal and not weird, thats why it happens almost never

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Stipe Miocic just got his leg hosed up by two kicks. Larkin kicked Magney once and he was hopping around on one leg. There are tons of other examples of people getting injured by leg kicks. Alejandro Perez hosed up Scott Jorgensen with a few low leg kicks.

Totally agree leg kicks are an effective attack

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

what are you getting at with that ..?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Fighters almost never get injured from leg kicks if you ignore all the times that fighters get injured from leg kicks. Most of the times it happens though it just extends the beating like the Jorgensen fight and the heavyweight fight on the undercard of 211. It happens all the time is what I'm getting at.

Hey. Maybe I didn't make this clear. I don't agree about Woodley v Condit. Its not normal for a guy to get his leg tweaked on a takedown then it breaks when it gets kicked. I don't agree that that is the same as typical leg kicks accumulating or happening in the first round and surfacing later. I don't agree that it is equivalent. I hope this clears up why I think leg kicks are great.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Belgian Waffle posted:

I think he thinks he got you with some contradictory statements but that's only true at face value and it all falls apart when you realize that things don't need to directly end a fight to be considered effective in the octagon.

you were right lol

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

attackmole posted:

Honestly I mostly just thought JDS' defense for the fight was poo poo. I dunno if it's a product of being old/beat up but it felt to me like he kept his hands too low without the head movement to survive while doing that. He was landing alright but Stipe was tagging him with everything and he never adjusted.

I just checked and JDS hasn't knocked someone out with his hands since 2012 :( . I'm sure he still hits like a motherfucker but it seems to me like he's lost some fast twitch speed.

stipe made him look flat footed last time too

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

I.N.R.I posted:

id rather see bisping fight yoel. or gsp fight yoel

i dont want to see yoel cuz hes a cheat

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bubba Smith posted:

what about as a stand up comic? He's got a funny voice and he's got jokes

rogan should tell him he lacks talent and give him a job on joe rogan podcast network

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I bet it'll feel better when Dana comes around saying you're getting a bit more for your next fight buddy and knocks a 0 on the end.

He did defend the belt.
It might have been against someone who is old enough to be his granddad but it was a defence

bispings old too

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

david carmichael posted:

They would be very viable, except against the cage where you would need to complete them quickly. It would also make back mount an almost guaranteed finish

the last part got proved by shooto

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Im surprised cyborg is in the ufc. shes never had a real fight . But I guess CM punk got a chance. whatever

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Novum posted:

In retrospect though I will go back and say that Cyborg could have beaten Rousey

i really doubt it

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Cyborg is and always was a freakshow fighter, even less actually competitive than butterbean, cuz Superheavyweight existed for awhile here and there. No org has ever had legit competition for cyborg. Shes bad and its bad that I have to read about her in the ufc thread

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
agree w/dwg about cyborg being bad, also agree with kevens point about big nog being the best. my scorecard is a split decision

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
trying to ignore the side conversation about if its okay to punch someone for calling you ugly

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
in their prime they werent in the same class

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
i meant weight class!!!

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Sorry all, I won't be posting for the foreseeable future. I generated a sonic boom by trying to search for Courtney Casey on Wikipedia and destroyed my.computer.

miss u

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dan Didio posted:

The Hominick fight convinced Joe that Aldo had no gastank.

ive seen fine arguments that he slowed his pace down after that....

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
aldo v hominick, aldo v mendes 2, aldo v frankie, yeah thats some good poo poo

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
aldo v cub swanson also

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Foul Fowl posted:

i think probably aldo will shut holloway down for a 50-45 or 49-46 but there'll be a lot of cool moments along the way

no way , max has cardio to pressure him and is extremely tough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
i agree with everyone aldos great and he shut frankie down but max is a little more of a stand up threat than frankie. frankies good dont get me wrong but max has some reach and power

• Locked thread