Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Miz Kriss posted:

Stupid question , but I'm doing a custom paint job for my mom for her birthday. Do you know what font the Cubs use for their jerseys (mainly the pinstripe ones)?

Just off the top of my head, looks like Century Gothic Bold with some additional tweaking done to the height and the kerning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

God his swing is so bizarre.

It looks like he's generating all his power from his hips, which is just the strangest goddamn thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cis autodrag posted:

A couple times in this series I've noticed that the pirates pitchers are wearing hoodies or jackets whole running the bases. I would have assumed it was illegal to wear anything more than your uniform. Is that allowed?

They changed the rule back in 2008 or 2009 to allow pitchers to wear jackets on the bases. They're the only players who are allowed to do so.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Your Taint posted:

Brett Anderson to DL with aggravated suckage.

Why the hell don't they just DFA him? Does Maddon have a weird Coghlan-esque love of the guy?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

humpthewind posted:

I'm pretty sure this is because Brett Anderson only pitches in the first inning.

Nah, Arrieta's first-inning ERA is like 7 right now and Lackey's been getting lit up, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pancakes posted:

I honestly can't think of another team that handles internal problems and the media worse than the Mets.

Well, there were the Lucchino Red Sox, who, the minute they decided they didn't like you anymore, would plant stories with Dan Shaughnessy that you're a cocaine-snorting, child-molesting communist who eats fried chicken...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Julio Cruz posted:

I know everyone loves to push the "lolMets" button but I'm not sure what else they were meant to have done in this situation. Dealing with whatever happened behind closed doors is far better than spreading it all across the media.

It obviously isn't completely behind closed doors if Lo Duca, who's a horse racing analyst nowadays, knows what happened.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

https://twitter.com/WayneRandazzo/status/861258822937182208

I wonder if Harvey went out clubbing after curfew, or showed up still drunk / terribly hungover or something.

Edit: V V V drat it, you posted as I was editing. :mad:

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 7, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, between this and the Lo Duca tweet, sounds like he showed up for work still hammered and Collins just sent him straight home. (It also explains why the suspension was effective yesterday.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

"Possible communication issue" = "I was too drunk to wake up and tell them I'd be late."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

Is this season peak "lol Mets"?

Nah, deGrom still needs to get reported as having a "minor contusion" and then have it come out a few days later that he was mauled while hunting wolves in the Catskills.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

remember when the cubs were good at baseball

It wasn't just Coors yesterday, Arrieta clearly has something wrong with him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cis autodrag posted:

Mark Attanasio strikes me as the kind of guy who really values loyalty and service and really struggles to cut people loose. Think about the interviews he gives in the middle of sub-500 seasons where he's still so sure if things break right we can make the playoffs. I think replacing Doug as GM is genuinely the hardest thing he's ever had to do and he just couldn't bring himself to totally fire someone who's been loyal to the org and brought us to the playoffs multiple times. I imagine it's mostly an honorary position.

Doesn't Melvin also have a reputation of being one of the genuinely nicest dudes in baseball?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Something called an Eddie Butler is starting for the Cubs tonight ... ?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Abel Wingnut posted:

what the christ ian happ up

Aren't Bryant, Russell, Heyward and Jay all hurting? They need some short-term utility help.

R.D. Mangles posted:

impressive outing for new cubs superstar Eddie Butler

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Der Meister posted:

I look forward to seeing him in a dodger uniform

Dodgers aren't going to be able to keep signing the checks for their mega-deals within a few years unless SportsNet LA gets carriage beyond Charter.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vernacular posted:

N: Rich Hill and Brandon McCarthy will be coming off the DL to start next week. Kenta was already placed on the DL with a "hamstring injury".

V: When's the last time a team has been so blatant about manufacturing regular phantom DL stints to rotate through a 7 man rotation?

Feel like the Mets did this maybe three years ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Are the Cubs just going to keep playing Schwarber everyday?

I know everyone's all OUR BEEFY LAD and whatever, but he clearly cannot handle the physical toll of playing the field every day.

Kirios posted:

Schwarber starting to sniff a little bit of an overhyped mediocre player.

I don't think he's mediocre -- he's been an on-base machine everywhere he's gone. But he projects, and has always projected, as a DH, because his body has gotten worse every year going back to when he was first drafted. I saw him in Kane County, and he looks like he's put on 30 pounds, at least, since then, and not in the right places.

Really, he's a guy the Red Sox should have gone after to fill the "fat guy who hits dingers" void left by Ortiz.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

He has to be one of the worst everyday players so far this season. Just not sure you can play him everyday. He is killing them,

Oh, I agree completely. Once Heyward and Jay are back and healthy, just run with an outfield of them and Almora and use Schwarber as a pinch hitter in late innings. But he needs to be riding the bench for a while, because his offense is brutal and his defense is somehow worse (he's easily several steps slower in left than he was a month ago).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kirios posted:

Edit: It really says something when he's a better catcher than left fielder, and he was an awful catcher.

Oh, absolutely. There's no way they try the Kyle Schwarber: Left Fielder experiment if they thought he had the slightest chance of being even a significantly below average catcher.

And, yeah, Maddon needs to stop being cute with his "I'm so smart by having a slow fat guy hit leadoff" experiment.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

how dare you post a reasonable defense of the guy who just finished his 106th major league game? he is a washed up bum who should be traded for pennies immediately.

He's not washed up and I think you know no one's saying that, but his defense is actively hurting the team and there's a strong possibility that 7+ innings of left field every day are affecting the batting of a guy who packs on more weight every single year. He's been unlucky for sure, and he's still drawing walks, but there's a bit of a square hole / increasingly round peg thing going on, here.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

He'll always have swiping a Cy Young from Kershaw and Greinke, which is awesome.

Yeah, I'll always treasure that and the no-hitters. But as much as it was said that Bosio fixed him by letting him throw his sinker more, I'm always skeptical of a pitcher who suddenly figures it all out right before he turns 30. And given the way he was exhausted at the end of 2015 (which, admittedly, was mostly due to Maddon riding him so hard that Dusty Baker was probably saying, "God drat,") and then how his arm began falling off in July last year, I'm infinitely glad the Cubs aren't on the hook for the 7 / 200 deal he was looking for (and that the sides were reportedly close-ish on).

And the crazy thing is, this offseason's class is so weak that Arrieta still might be the best free-agent pitcher available this winter.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

beejay posted:

I just never expected they'd play Schwarber every day this season and that was before seeing the way it actually played out.

They were making noise even before spring training that they expected him to catch every fifth game or so, but everyone could tell that was just them blowing smoke, especially once spring training started and his plate defense was even worse than before. And now they clearly want him to stick in left, because when he can hit, he can rake, and like hell if they're telling Rizzo to move, but, for God's sake, put the boy on an Ensure diet or something.

He should have been benched after jogging to that grounder to left that turned into a double today. (Granted, Baez almost saved it, but, still.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Give him at least another 500 PAs before declaring him a bust.

Saying he's got some very obvious deficiencies =/= calling him a bust.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I don't know exactly what happened but he's been bad since the start of last June. 4.42 ERA since June 2016.

He was very badly overworked in 2015 (because Maddon didn't trust Lester) and I don't think he ever recovered. He started off last season absolutely dealing but he hasn't been able to adjust his approach whatsoever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I honestly can't remember whether any of the early 90s Jays got caught doping.

None of the early '90s Jays would have been popped because MLB didn't begin drug testing until 2003.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

It is 2017 and we're getting a lackey vs arroyo game

Darkest Timeline.

Edit: Although Len Kasper always seems to have fun calling Arroyo games, for whatever reason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Baseball players have literally always cheated to get an edge, but somehow steroids are different I guess

"Greenies and spitballs and not letting The Blacks play are honorable forms of cheating unlike steroids"

It's basically the most moronic game of No True Scotsman ever played.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Baseball Simulator 1.000 damnit

So underappreciated

Hell yes, running around the bases with Boyd so fast even Rickey Henderson would be like, "drat, son."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Bud Selig is human garbage.

Selig is easily in the upper tier of commissioners, possibly top two. (Not that it's a terribly high bar to meet, given most of the clowns who held that office.) But really, outside of the failed contraction scheme, the shell game to kill the Expos, the All-Star Game / home field advantage thing and the A-Rod witch hunt, he did a lot of good for the game.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 17, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Did a lot of good for the game as in allow people to roid up for 15 years and then act like he had no idea, black ball Bonds from the league, and go on a steroid witch hunt? Bud Selig is a garbage human.

Steroids were an issue long before Selig was named even interim commissioner and loving everyone, with the exception of, like, Frank Thomas, turned a blind eye to it -- and drug testing had to be collectively bargained, it's not like he could have unilaterally done something. But he managed to get the union to agree to drug testing for the first time ever (edit: and this was with Donald Fehr leading the union, so it wasn't the toothless MLBPA that we have today), presided over more than two decades of uninterrupted labor peace (something that the NFL, NBA and NHL can't say), oversaw unprecedented revenue growth and international popularity and introduced a lot of new and cool things, like the three divisions, the wild cards, the WBC and interleague play. He definitely hosed up (as I mentioned, the contraction scheme, the Expos / Loria / Henry thing, A-Rod, ASG determining home field, letting the Wilpons keep the Mets despite being even more insolvent than McCourt was with the Dodgers) but you'd have to be blind to not think his tenure was a net positive for the sport.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 17, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Honestly the Dodgers completely and flagrantly abusing the 10-Day DL while smiling coyly over at Manfred is pretty great. If you can do it why not?

Isn't the Dodgers ownership group believed to be part of Manfred's inner circle, along with DeWitt, the Braves, the Wilpons, Angelos and the Rickettses?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

He sucked for us after we got him from NYY and I suspect that he is nearly done.

He's got arthritic knees, I'm amazed he's played as long as he has.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, over the past three days I just did a re-read of The Lords of the Realm (which is a must-read for anyone with a passing interest in the history of MLB labor-management relations), but I had forgotten that it just does a cold stop about a month after the 1994 strike began. Are there any books that cover the resolution of that strike, the strike that was averted at the 11th hour in 2002, the transition of power from Fehr to Weiner, etc.?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

Other baseball books that always come up in these discussions include:

Baseball Between the Numbers
Moneyball
(both a little outdated but worth reading if you haven't yet)

Ball Four
A Well-Paid Slave
The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O’Neil’s America

Book that never comes up but always should: Palmer & Weaver - Together We Were Eleven-Foot-Nine.

Edit: Still one of the funniest passages I've ever read in a book:

quote:

His language goes from colorful to off-color to only words that rhyme with duck.

And you don't have to be at Earl's table to hear him. In fact, you don't have to be in Minneapolis to hear him. Blue hair is turning bluer. Salesmen are blushing. Women gasp. Men gasp. Then nobody gasps because everyone is silent.

Earl rocks back in his chair, just about to come forward and pound the table for emphasis and a refill. Nature phones in. Earl's gotta relieve himself. Right now. A little too loud, about the volume of a good p.a. system, he bellows, "Where's the toilet?"

A guy at the table next to him says, "The toilet's in your mouth."

Earl rocks forward. Hmm. He's pretty sure that's not the location he was looking for. He makes his way from the table, across the room, and over to the door with the large "M" and little plastic man on it.

While he's in there, he must be thinking, Maybe, just maybe, I was a touch louder than I should have been. Possibly, my language wasn't quite as delicate as it could have been. Perhaps, I was a vile pig.

Now, Earl really never meant to hurt anyone. Okay, maybe the players and the coaches and the umpires and most of major league baseball, but no real people. So, he feels bad. He better make amends.

He comes back into the dining room. On his way, he stops at the offended table. Not all of them. That would have taken all night. But at the one where the guy suggested that Earl's mouth only needed a handle in order to flush.

Earl looks at the people at the table with every ounce of sincerity he can muster. His voice is low and discreet. His manner is dignified. He leans over intimately and says, "I'm sorry. You lose a tough one and you can't get a table in the dining room and you have a few drinks and pretty soon the 'cock suckers' and 'mother fuckers' just come out."

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 21, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pancakes posted:

As always, I will take this opportunity to remind everyone that Curt Flood and Marvin Miller should have their own wing of the Hall of Fame. Preferably with an exhibit where people can just mercilessly make fun of Blackmun's writing.

Miller notoriously hated the Hall of Fame and repeatedly said he'd boycott his own induction.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Paul Zuvella posted:

CC is Superman

Jesus, he looks like he's dropped like eighty pounds.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I had to laugh during the Cubs game yesterday when they were talking about running into Scott Boras while in Los Angeles and how he went on this huge rant about how Jake Arrieta is still an elite pitcher.

Um, Scott, I know your job is to get the most value for your client, and you're very good at this, but his arm's been dead for the better part of a year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cis autodrag posted:

K-rod has had declining velocity for seasons now and he had gotten by adjusting his approach to be more deceptive. Now his velocity has declined to the point where it's robbing his pitches if movement and he just can't fool people. He should retire.

Jesus, I had forgotten he's been in the majors for sixteen years. And yeah, I just took a glance at his peripherals since 2011, and holy poo poo, they range from "hey, that's still pretty good" to :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Der Meister posted:

He's just upset his gamble to not sign a deal after 2015 has horribly backfired

Arrieta was still saying in spring training this year that he fully expects to sign a seven-year deal, and I remember last year he was telling one reporter that "aces get seven years" and specifically pointing to Strasburg, and after the first two months of the season, all I can say is :lol:

• Locked thread