Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Grittybeard posted:

Checking out the ballot. Players listed with no stats so far this year:

1B - Luis Valbuena
SS - Matt Duffy
3B - Adrian Beltre
OF - JD Martinez, Colby Rasmus, Jorge Soler, Andre Ethier

Ahh, Luis Valbuena, starting 1B for the Angels. Who could've forgotten all those memorable plays he's made.

You can basically add Ian Desmond to the list, he has 1 game played this year (and it wasn't at 1st base).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Best games I went to were a Haren v Verlander 1-0 game where Haren got the shutout. Got to see a walkoff HBP by Hank Conger. Saw the Angels come back when down like 7 runs to King Felix. Went to the game before Weaver's no hitter.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Weird to be reminded that once upon a time, Danny Haren was a pretty good pitcher. Not an ace, maybe, but pretty dang good.

Dan Haren was the loving man for a long time :colbert:

I remember when the Angels didn't make the playoffs with a rotation consisting of Jered Weaver, Dan Haren, Ervin Santana, CJ Wilson, and Zack Greinke.

loving feels bad man.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Texas relief pitchers combined to go 4IP today, giving up 4 hits and 9 walks. The Astros managed to only score 2 runs in those innings, both on sac flies. Thats some impressively bad baseball.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

seiferguy posted:

Gonna doublepost, cause James Paxton just went on the DL with a left forearm strain. That's 3 out of the 5 original starting pitchers on this team on the DL now. Also, left forearm strain sounds too ominous...

Just 3 starting pitchers on the DL? Thats it?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Our ace is Ricky Nolasco and our closer is Bud Norris.

The Angels best starting pitcher this year has an ERA+ of 92 and the Angels only have 1 hitter on their team with an OPS+ above 100. How is this team 15-15?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

MrMojok posted:

the "Millville Meteor" nick originated here?!?!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/8392192/los-angeles-angels-centerfielder-mike-trout-phenom-last-espn-magazine

ESPN posted:

IN THE FORUMS pages of SomethingAwful.com, a 24-year-old who calls himself Weed Mouse is getting tired of the Trout hype. So on June 27, he decides to change the conversation. "I made a remark that this season is only his floor if he is Mickey Mantle," says Mouse, a recent college graduate in St. Louis. It's too early to say, he argues, but still Mouse dubs Trout the Millville Meteor, a play on the Commerce Comet, Mantle's hometown-inspired nickname. "I am a bit of a fan of the old-timey baseball nicknames: Splendid Splinter, Georgia Peach, the Freshest Man on Earth, etc.," he says. "They are certainly better than lazy garbage like A-Rod and Han-Ram. Getting to troll massive amounts of people is just a bonus."

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Spoeank posted:

Spending more money than god to have Clayton Kershaw make 30 starts and 30 others make 132 starts.

Quite a strategy

Well it worked, and Kershaw only made 21 starts last year.

They also have like 10 outfielders because those fuckers don't stay healthy either.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Paul Zuvella posted:

Homeless people who yell things are fun unless it's the homeless lady in boston who walks while staring into a mirror and either:

a) Screams a horrible, ear shattering scream

b) Yells racial slurs at people

Or Homeless people that lay spike traps and get in fights with people trying to use the bike paths. Insane how bad the stretch along Angels Stadium has gotten in the last 6 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yRZbbJ9kyg&t=160s

How many AAAA, AAA, AA and Cash Considerations players do the Mets need to injure before we get Tebow in the majors? Are we on pace for a September callup?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Angels broadcast has a "happy mother's day" sign superimposed onto the batters eye like they put the line of scrimmage or first down marker in football.

I'm surprised teams or channels haven't tried doing that with advertisements yet, thered be an uproar but I'm surprised they haven't tried it.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Pancakes posted:

Peter Bourjos in 2010.

E: Allan Lewis has 44 career SB and 1 walk ever.

Man I thought Bourjos was going to be amazing after his 2011 season. Then some new kid had to come up and steal his job in CF.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Isn't the difference between the worst lineup and the best lineup construction like 1 or 2 wins? None of the years in question would have made any difference if the Yankees had 2 more wins on the year.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Has there been any talk/analysis into while teams are throwing fastballs way less than in years past? As average fastball velocity is at an all time high, the % of fastballs thrown is at an all time low.

The Yankees have the fastest average fastball velocity in MLB and throw it the least often.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

TheFlyingLlama posted:

if a pitcher is so inaccurate that he can't stop from hitting dudes maybe he shouldn't be in the majors?

Just wait till you see how bad the guys in the minors are!

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/865346493603090432

Angels starting pitching has been pretty dire the last 2 years so if he is even as good as he was the last 2 years for the Astros he'll have a place on the team.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 19, 2017

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Mike Trout is pretty fuckin' good y'all. Now hitting .350/.466/.757 and leads MLB in OBP and SLG. He's got 3.2 WAR and the Angels hitters as a whole have 2.9 WAR.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Patrick Spens posted:

You mean the rest of the hitters have 2.9 WAR right?

Right?

:smithicide:

In other news, the Angels sent down CJ Cron (hitting .232/.281/.305/.586) to AAA and recalled Nolan Fontana from AAA. Luis Valbuena (hitting .176/.311/.294/.606) and Jefry Marte (hitting .185/.264/.346/.609) will probably platoon at 1B/3B with Fontana.

At least the Angels don't have one of the worst starting rotations in baseball.

No longer on the Angels, back to Salt Lake.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 22, 2017

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

This would not have been a balk had the ball rolled all the way to the foul line. :balk101:

Balks.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

tinstaach posted:

Unfortunately, only with nobody on base:

Lol balks are the best. They've thought of everything.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is the best player to never win a World Series?

Mike Trout

Barry Bonds

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Mike Trout has a wRC of 217, the rest of the Angels combine for a wRC of 81. That difference of 136 is 5th all time, behind 02, 04, 01 Bonds and 57 Williams.

Good poo poo Arte.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Paul Zuvella posted:

Holy poo poo Mike Trout is as charismatic as a wet napkin

I love my baseballing robot.

The rest of the Angels are so much worse than Trout it is insane. Everyone is underperforming their career-worst seasons by large margins. Their 4 best starting pitchers are lost to season ending injuries and their 4 best relief pitchers are also on the disabled list with no time tables for their return. They're paying Hamilton $30M dollars this year and he hasn't been on the team in 3 years and is out of baseball. They're still 25-24 on the season.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

bawfuls posted:

Just imagine if the Angels had competent ownerhsip

I spend long nights staying up thinking about this.

I also wake up in a cold sweat after dreaming about Vernon Wells trying to track down a Mike Napoli home run.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Who's everybody's bad team token for the ASG? With the Braves, Freddie's hurt, Julio kinda sucks. Ender? Don't laugh -- Tyler Flowers?

I dunno for my team.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Trout left the game with a thumb sprain sliding into second on a steal.

Please don't be torn and out for 8 weeks :smith:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Arte will give him 5/100 and set the Angels back another 6+ years.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I guess I'll have a few extra hours a day to do whatever I want, for basically the rest of the summer.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Santheb posted:

This would be magical.

"Here you go guys. We don't care much for him either."

It'd never happen, but it'd be a good way to get a free base runner and also get the pitcher ejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Will Mike Trout still be an All Star even if he obviously can't play? Not a single other Angel deserves to be considered.

Simmons as a backup shortstop?
Blake loving Parker as a reliever? They don't even have a token closer they can throw in as an all star.

• Locked thread