Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The All Star Game voting is always stupid but for some reason the Dodgers' nomination for LF is... Andre Ethier. Ethier has yet to appear in a game for the Dodgers this year, and has not even resumed baseball activities. He will be lucky to come off the DL before the ASG. Someone must really hate Andrew Toles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I wonder how much better Corey Seager has to be than Addison Russell to overcome the Cubs WS tidal wave of fandom and win the NL SS starting spot.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

I like the part in Fastball where a physicist explains why it's impossible for a fastball to actually rise and the perception comes from a disconnect between the balls actual speed and what the brain expects it to be, then it cuts back to Bryce Harper who goes "nah man it rises, I dun see it. Maybe those eggheads should step in a batter's box."
Legitimately the best part of the movie. Or maybe it's the part where Walter Johnson throws like 94 in his church clothes with no warm up.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He's certainly not wrong about pitchers getting light suspensions for throwing 100mph at dudes. If he or any other hitter went after a pitcher with the bat in this day and age it sure seems like it would provoke a much longer suspension.

Then again, Marichal was only suspended 8 games for bashing Roseboro over the head with a bat, but that was 1965.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 3, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Coolest things I've seen in person are the Holliday dickshot, Kershaw's opening day home run (which happened in the 8th of a scoreless tie), and Mike Piazza hitting two home runs in the final game of 1993 to keep the Giants out of the postseason. I saw Carlos Quentin break Zack Greinke's collar bone too but that wasn't very cool.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

I have literally 0 recollection of Pedro Martinez ever being on the Phillies :confused:
I'll never forget it, because he started an NLCS game I attended against the Dodgers that year. He threw 7 shut out innings and it was very depressing to think about what could have been. :smith:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Worst baseball game for me was game 3 of the NLDS in 2008. I was living in Los Angeles at the time and our seats were in the front row of the upper deck. That was a looooong walk to the concourse from the front row through swarms of fans screaming "SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP" directly into my face. :smith:
I was at that game too! :hfive:

My worst was probably Game 5 of the 2015 NLDS, watching their futility against the Mets was made all the more heartbreaking knowing it was likely to be Greinke's last game as a Dodger. I have not been to a postseason game as an away fan but I imagine that's a good deal more difficult.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 3, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cody Bellinger hit a bases clearing triple last night and is now hitting .345/.406/.655 (175 wRC+) in 32 PA. His roster spot is in jeopardy once Joc returns this Friday. Meanwhile Adrian Gonzalez is hitting .267/.340/.322 (84 wRC+) in 101 PA this year while "dealing with" some kind of forearm/elbow issue and some back thing. They really need to DL him and let the kid play 1B for a couple weeks, but Adrian has never been on the DL and there is some kind of stubborn veteran pride about it now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

cenotaph posted:

Haha, glad to remind you. I also saw a man piss in a sink, although that might have been the ALCS game I went to.
That reminds me, last year I saw a grown man pull his pants and underwear down to his ankles to stand at a urinal and piss at Petco. It was relatively early in the game and he didn't look particularly drunk.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/859915163268300800

V: put him on the godamn DL already!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/RealKentMurphy/status/859923651176673284

V: The kids are alright. I bet she's got the best bat flips in the league too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Looks like sanity has prevailed. Hopefully Adrian can return healthier and more productive than he's been the past year.

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/860618049874874369

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: I saw Cody Bellinger hit two dingers tonight. Second one was a godamn lazer

https://streamable.com/tewt0

V: Adrian don't read this

Hay Cody how you doin' ? :swoon:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

N: MLB has given the Dodgers a "serious warning" for tampering with Otani.

V: gently caress the Dodgers, take away their right to sign all international players the year Otani gets posted. Then give their pool money to the Giants.
No amount of international pool money will prevent dirt bike accidents though :confused:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

So can any Giants goons explain to me why bay area sports pundits hate Brandon Belt so much? My coworker two desks down has been blasting local sports radio all day for some reason and listening to these guys you'd think the Giants would be 32-0 if Belt would just get off his lazy rear end and start producing.

I've also learned that Hunter Pence is apparently worth a package of top prospects :lol:
Belt seems to be exactly the kind of player AT&T mutes. And a 1B who's never hit 20 HR or 100 RBI in a year is also exactly the kind of player that typical local sports talk radio will lambaste.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

It's true and it saddens me greatly that they're going to sell everything that isn't nailed down in about a month.
what players you give a poo poo about will they sell though?

Pence, Posey, Crawford are all on good deals and have full no-trade clauses. Belt has a partial one. Bum is massively underpaid. They could trade Cueto but he's got an opt out this winter so it won't even be for much as he's just a rental.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I could be wrong but I think that's was Drant Frisbee said in a column the other day explaining why the Giants won't sell much

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So that play last night in the 7th when Toles couldn't get to a ball in the corner and Julio Urias lost the no-no bid? Yeah turns out it also cost Toles his ACL.

Silver lining is at least Bellinger has a place to play if/when Adrian Gonzalez comes back.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/862449708656017408

V: This seems incredibly stupid. It's May, why are you rushing a guy back so he can play hurt some more and never properly heal?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/862791920984047617

V: The Dodgers are straight up streaming pitchers now like a fantasy team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It was pretty clearly a calculated roster building strategy, I wouldn't say there was any luck in that part of it at all. The luck is that right now more than 5 of them are healthy.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Spending more money than god to have Clayton Kershaw make 30 starts and 30 others make 132 starts.

Quite a strategy
Worked last year, is working so far this year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Metapod posted:

Can someone tell me why these soft rear end players constantly need rest and get hurt all the time despite never receiving contact. Like why can't they just tell their body's not today like every other great athlete
because they hate America and also you

Spoeank posted:

Well it works for the Dodgers for like 170 games a year at least.
Hold onto that salt tight, gonna be a long season in last place.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 12, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Seems like a better strategy than dirt biking honestly

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hey, at least Puig's dumb off-field decisions haven't cost him months and months of playing time and threatened to permanently reduce his effectiveness as a baseball player.

if we work together, I think we can collectively reach Cubsposting

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

This seems like a fine line to be walking

(Not trying to start a Puig fight cuz I'd like to see him do well again, but...)
When Puig shatters his wrist on a motorcycle and can never hit for power again, I'll eat my post. Until then, he's less dumb than MadBum.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

seiferguy posted:

This just seems sad, and kicking a dog while down. Except maybe the Dbacks who were legit assholes for awhile.
Dbacks are easy to hate for several reasons as you noted. Rockies are easy to hate because Coors is an unholy place where baseball players go to die. Every time the Dodgers go to Colorado I live in fear that several Dodgers will be injured there. But yeah, the Padres are generally unobjectionable. Their ownership is tone-deaf and stupid but in a mostly harmless way. I do dislike their aggressive military worship so that's something?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He's already worth millions of dollars I don't think it matters what he is being paid. He also got a signing bonus of 100k. Probably four times what those 20 year olds are making in one year.
lol more like 8 times

Popete posted:

Did I just get confused with Poque? If only...
to be fair, you're both Cubs posters with very similar names and Baez avatars, I still only barely know the difference

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

That's because the Yankees understand how to make money

Bonds was a doping cheater (and continued to be one after they started actually enforcing it, idiot) and should never get in
Welcome to SAS, hopefully you stick around for the beating you're about to receive!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Giants have won four in a row and I Still Believe.
don't get too excited, the Giants can't play garbage teams like the Reds and Dodgers every day

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

Bonds doesn't deserve the Hall. Its a shame but there it is
Counterpoint: he does, and more importantly the hall deserves him

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

The 90s should be stricken from the Hall, and if possible, all of written history
the 90's happened and we were all complicit, in fact we encouraged it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

He couldn't even break 3,000 hits in spite of cheating and playing for 3 years longer than Jeter
think that has anything to do with his record 2558 walks? Nah, probably not.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hey guys let's put this guy who definitely doped and perjured himselfobstructed justice in federal court several times about it into our permanent record of good baseball men so that kids will know the way to get ahead is to cheat the system and be an rear end in a top hat
Hey guys, we hosed up bad by allowing a labor stoppage and people are real mad! Lets encourage players to take steroids a decade by:

1) having absolutely no testing policy whatsoever
2) promoting the gently caress out of the guys who are obviously using and hitting lots of dingers
3) turning a blind eye to it all from top to bottom, from the commissioner to owners to managers to trainers and even fans

But then let's get super self-righteous about it all of a sudden (when Congress gets involved for some reason?) and pillory the guys we used to bring the sport back from the dead!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I honestly can't remember whether any of the early 90s Jays got caught doping. Since the new regime only Colabello and two minor leaguers in the Jays org
The point is a fuckton of players were using something during that era because there was no testing and pro atheletes at the highest levels of their sport are insanely competitive and will do anything to gain an advantage. It is virtually guaranteed that at least a few players you loved from that era were taking PEDs of some sort.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I am a Dodgers fan who spent ages 8 to 22 booing Barry Bonds like he was the second coming of Hitler, and even I think he should have been in on the first ballot.

But Pete Rose should be on the outside looking in for a century at least.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 16, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

What a weird hangup. I mean I get not liking Pete Rose but he very clearly has the most hits, it's really not debatable. It's the same as not counting minor league hits.
It's more about Pete Rose having to check his ego than anything else.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I genuinely think what Pete Rose did is much more dangerous to the long term health of MLB than what Bonds et all did. Furthermore, Rose accepted a lifetime ban from the game and placement on the permanent ineligibility list in exchange for MLB dropping it's active investigation into his transgressions.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

This doesn't even do it justice. It was the bottom of the ninth and walking him made it a one run game

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/67794252/v134341083/arisf-dbacks-walk-bonds-with-the-bases-loaded
Even more ridiculous, it worked! They got the next guy out to end the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Walrus posted:

I've already said that if bonds was never actually caught by the league then he should be fine, but I'll add that the comparisons being made between sterioids and things like amphetamines, spitballs and pine resin are pretty ridiculous.
Steroids help you build muscle mass more quickly, and help with recovery. This is only sort of helpful for baseball. Steroids didn't give Barry Bonds the greatest batting eye of all time.

Amphetamines help improve concentration and reactions. This may be even more helpful for baseball.

Baseball is not a game that hinges on raw athleticism. It is a game of finesse, agility, and focus. You can not just dismiss amphetamines as obviously less helpful to baseball performance than steroids. To determine this would require a kind of rigorous scientific testing that we will never get.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 17, 2017

• Locked thread