Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Grittybeard posted:

I wonder if this is an actual baseball rule? Like you can't make baked goods if you're employed with a team for a member of another team just in case.

There's probably a rule (whether it's official or not) about not taking gifts from opposing team staff, I assume it would be something along those lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Adonis Garcia onto the DL with tendonitis, Jace Peterson will play 3B most days and Braves will call up switch-hitting Johan Camargo to play against lefties since Rio Ruiz can't hit them worth a goddamn.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Because the Jays don't even have a literal garbage pail to stick behind the plate while Martin is injured. He's pretty good defensively and he hasn't had a huge number of PAs so even one hit will bump that up but he is sucking with the bat

Punting Salty is looking like one of Gibby's dumber moves imo

He's been resigned to a minor league deal already, Maile is a better backup when Martin is healthy because Salty is a brutal defender (and wasn't hitting at all either), and Gibbons might have a little influence on those types of decisions but he's certainly not the only one who decides whether or not to release a player. Or is this you just "trying to stir poo poo up" again

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

patonthebach posted:

Should Willie Mays be in the hall?

I've already said that if bonds was never actually caught by the league then he should be fine, but I'll add that the comparisons being made between sterioids and things like amphetamines, spitballs and pine resin are pretty ridiculous.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Walrus posted:

I've already said that if bonds was never actually caught by the league then he should be fine, but I'll add that the comparisons being made between sterioids and things like amphetamines, spitballs and pine resin are pretty ridiculous.

Spitballs and pine tar maybe, but there's a pretty direct 1:1 between amphetamines and roids.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Glad to see JD Martinez is off the DL and already on an absolute tear. Hopefully the Tigers can trade him for some magic beans at the trade deadline. You know, instead of standing pat and sinking into mediocrity while waiting out the rest of Miggy's contract.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I loving love this team and can't wait to see what inevitable disaster befalls us to keep us from winning our first world series ever!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

ComposerGuy posted:

I loving love this team and can't wait to see what inevitable disaster befalls us to keep us from winning our first world series ever!

Idk who you're a fan of but the answer is always the Marlins

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Walrus posted:

Steroids help you build muscle mass more quickly, and help with recovery. This is only sort of helpful for baseball. Steroids didn't give Barry Bonds the greatest batting eye of all time.

Amphetamines help improve concentration and reactions. This may be even more helpful for baseball.

Baseball is not a game that hinges on raw athleticism. It is a game of finesse, agility, and focus. You can not just dismiss amphetamines as obviously less helpful to baseball performance than steroids. To determine this would require a kind of rigorous scientific testing that we will never get.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 17, 2017

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

New Concept Hole posted:

Idk who you're a fan of but the answer is always the Marlins

Houston.

And I'm now reminded that even the loving Marlins have won the world series.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

N: Schwarber mashed a 462-foot dinger tonight.

V: I don't care if he's only hitting .187 and is a disaster in the field. I love our beefy boy. :allears:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

He's been resigned to a minor league deal already, Maile is a better backup when Martin is healthy because Salty is a brutal defender (and wasn't hitting at all either), and Gibbons might have a little influence on those types of decisions but he's certainly not the only one who decides whether or not to release a player. Or is this you just "trying to stir poo poo up" again

No I know salty is a poo poo defender and wasn't aware he'd been picked up already but man that anchor in the order is awful and I feel like at this specific moment you'd probably want someone who can hit more than someone who is a good defender.

Apparently Navarro is sitting at home with 'bated breath. He's not awesome either but even a .200 hitting mediocre catcher would be better than the one-hit wonder

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector_666 posted:

From the New Yorker:

I like him pitching with a SNES stuck in his hair.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

love to watch that big beef moon man wallop taters all over the dang park

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

I like him pitching with a SNES stuck in his hair.

My favorite is the cow who doesn't think Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is a real thing.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

ComposerGuy posted:

Houston.

And I'm now reminded that even the loving Marlins have won the world series.

Actually, they've won two despite having never won a division title.

I know, I'm not helping.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Infidel Castro posted:

Actually, they've won two despite having never won a division title.

I know, I'm not helping.

The Astros didn't win their division the year they went :(

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The Walrus posted:

You have really weird arguments about when cheating is ok and when its not. Are you in pre-law or something?

Also, amphetamines do more for an athletes day to day performance and off day training (especially in a game with a 162 game season) than we can prove steroids do. They are amazing for injury recovery though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No I know salty is a poo poo defender and wasn't aware he'd been picked up already but man that anchor in the order is awful and I feel like at this specific moment you'd probably want someone who can hit more than someone who is a good defender.

Apparently Navarro is sitting at home with 'bated breath. He's not awesome either but even a .200 hitting mediocre catcher would be better than the one-hit wonder

And yet you're all aboard the Ryan Goins over Tulo train? Lol

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

And yet you're all aboard the Ryan Goins over Tulo train? Lol

No, I was on the Goins over Travis train, but I might have to get off if Travis continues to fix his poo poo over the next couple days

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
nevermind

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 17, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

patonthebach posted:

You have really weird arguments about when cheating is ok and when its not. Are you in pre-law or something?

Also, amphetamines do more for an athletes day to day performance and off day training (especially in a game with a 162 game season) than we can prove steroids do. They are amazing for injury recovery though.

my point of view would be that amphetamines don't give you any innate natural ability, whereas steroids enable you to better physically express your natural ability.

I used to be prescribed a lot of amphetamines and I never noticed any difference when playing a sport - adrenaline has the same effect anyway. I didn't really consider off days and training though I guess. I'll admit to being a layman on this.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

The Walrus posted:

my point of view would be that amphetamines don't give you any innate natural ability, whereas steroids enable you to better physically express your natural ability.

I used to be prescribed a lot of amphetamines and I never noticed any difference when playing a sport - adrenaline has the same effect anyway. I didn't really consider off days and training though I guess. I'll admit to being a layman on this.

My aunt took steroids after getting a transplant, she immediately started jacking 450 feet homers. It was insane.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My cat needed some ear medicine that had steroids in it. I came home and he had the greatest batting eye of all time

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Hahaha what does this even mean.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Gonna petition MLB to ban watercolours.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Walrus posted:

HGH and steroids do nothing to actually help a player in the game. They help build strength and endurance but it's not like you can shoot up before a game and they make you better. Amphetamines increase your ability to focus and your energy level so you don't get fatigued. They're very different but amphetamines have a more immediate impact. That's why you see so many players loading up on energy drinks before games.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't really have any strong feelings either way on the steroid era or bonds in particular but it is really weird how so much of SASMLB seems to think that steroids do not enhance performance in baseball.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Walrus posted:

This is dumb and you should feel dumb

The Walrus posted:

I, the casual athlete, never noticed any difference when I took amphetamines, therefor greenies had no positive effect for professional athletes who played every day

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jummy posted:

My aunt took steroids after getting a transplant, she immediately started jacking 450 feet homers. It was insane.

thats literally the opposite of what I said but noice one liner

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Hahaha what does this even mean.

it's not complicated. the best eye in the world is useless if you can't get the barrel around .01 of a second sooner. amphetamines might increase focus but they don't give you any additional ability that you could not physically muster under normal game conditions (adrenaline pumping etc)

anyways I'm the only one actually discussing anything everyone else is just calling me an idiot so that's the last I'll say on the matter.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bewbies posted:

I don't really have any strong feelings either way on the steroid era or bonds in particular but it is really weird how so much of SASMLB seems to think that steroids do not enhance performance in baseball.

The problem a lot of us have is that it's not necessarily a direct correlation. It could help but there are tons of guys who have been popped for PEDs, sometimes multiple times, who never made it to the majors or were Nefi Perez. Other than the jokes that PEDs should be encouraged (because dingers rule) or that they make you the ultimate team player (because you take all the risk to your reputation and health), I don't know that anyone has ever legitimately argued they shouldn't be banned and there shouldn't be penalties. It just feels like a holier than thou argument when people want to bring out the pitchforks or keep people out of the Hall of Fame or dismiss their accomplishments because they did something wrong.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

bewbies posted:

My issue is that it's just impossible to quantify how they may help so there's no point in speculating.

The Walrus posted:

thats literally the opposite of what I said but noice one liner

You understand literally about as well as you understand how steroids work, noice.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Baseball players have literally always cheated to get an edge, but somehow steroids are different I guess

"Greenies and spitballs and not letting The Blacks play are honorable forms of cheating unlike steroids"

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jummy posted:

My issue is that it's just impossible to quantify how they may help so there's no point in speculating.

You understand literally about as well as you understand how steroids work, noice.

I said steroids do not give you natural ability. you sarcastically stated my position as being that steriods could give your aunt the ability to hit dingers. those are opposite statements.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

Baseball players have literally always cheated to get an edge, but somehow steroids are different I guess

"Greenies and spitballs and not letting The Blacks play are honorable forms of cheating unlike steroids"

Yeah, I get that steroids alter a player in a fundamental way but I also think you can get a pretty big edge by hiding some stick 'em in the right place or stealing signs or breaking your division rival's shortstop's leg on a hard slide.

Just for example.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Intruder posted:

so all cheating should be allowed then

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

One of the most memorable moments in the history of the sport involved stealing signs, better vacate the Giants victory

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Walrus posted:

so all cheating should be allowed then

Yes that's what I said. When did Murray Chass get an account here anyway?

The whole discussion started with the notion that Barry Bonds doesn't deserve to be in the HOF because maybe he wouldn't have been that good without steroids because all the guys who took steroids somehow became hall of fame level producers I guess? Bonds presumably cheated but was without a doubt a HOF level player regardless, just like all the HOF level players of the past who cheated were almost certainly HOF level players without cheating but no one seems to mind them being in compared to Bonds

Nevermind that the league practically invited players to take steroids to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

One of the most memorable moments in the history of the sport involved stealing signs, better vacate the Giants victory

I think Will Clark actually said, sometime in the past several years, that he was going to swing at the next pitch and he just got it right. I believe Maddux also said the story that's commonly written isn't actually how it happened.

• Locked thread