Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

I got to go to Stephen Strasburg's debut with my dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Poque and I went to Willson Contreras' debut with my dad. It was on Father's Day and he homered on the first pitch he saw. :unsmith:

That's awesome. Baseball dad memories are the best. I've become completely useless at work now and am just going back and watching old videos of Strasmas. I remember looking forward to it for weeks and trying not to get my hopes up. He was probably not gonna do that well, and that was okay, he was still really good don't go too crazy, blah blah blah. And then he set the team record for strikeouts in his major league debut. It was like a playoff game (not that I knew what that was like at the time) and walking out of the stadium that night it felt like the team had finally turned a corner (and it had! although not just thanks to Strasburg).

Then his elbow blew up a few weeks later and I could barely bring myself to watch baseball for the next year.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

He was always under team control for 2018, we just know the rate now.

The Nats beat writers seem to agree that the huge price tag also represents a show of good faith from the team w/r/t signing him long term after that. I think he'll go to the team with the biggest offer like every other Boras client (except Stras!) but this at least means there won't be any bad blood.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Der Meister posted:

I look forward to seeing him in a dodger uniform

As long as he stays out of the division / doesn't go to the Yankees.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Ungratek posted:

Nats bullpen is a loving disaster

You know you've hit rock bottom when Matt Albers is your best reliever.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

shadok posted:

I'm delighted to see him making baseball fun again but what was up with him last year? Was he playing through some injury that he didn't bother to tell anyone about?

He'll never admit it but that's what most people suspect at this point. Either that or Joe Maddon managed to break his AND Ryan Zimmerman's brains simultaneously by intentionally walking Harper to get to Zim something like 6 times in a row in one game.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

bewbies posted:

Derek Jeter was a really good baseball player for a long time, I'll see myself out.

mods ?!?

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

tadashi posted:

I think someone read between the lines in an interview he gave over the off-season and it sounded like he was trying to cover-up the fact that there was a shoulder issue. I don't remember the exact interview, though.

The other side to his season last year was that his exit velocity in 2015 seemed to predict a drop-off for 2016. Maybe not so extreme but it wasn't very good.

I think its fair to say that he was due for some regression, but regression alone can't account for the drop off we saw last year and there's other reasons to suspect that an injury was to blame. Namely that he continued hitting the poo poo out the ball in April before crashing hard and abruptly in May and has since resumed hitting the poo poo out of the ball.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Spoeank posted:

If Ken Griffey or Greg Maddux didn't get it nobody does until Mike Trout, if he keeps this up, when he's up for HOF candidacy

Hot take: Mike Trout is already a HoF player.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Pujols? Although god drat he is hot trash right now.

The Angels in general are so bad that they have a team WAR of 2.9 even though Trout alone has been worth 2.5.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Who cares whether or not its unanimous or first ballot or whatever. There will always be people with bad opinions who make stupid votes; there's tons of people casting ballots. Inevitably one or two of them will either forget because they're 90 years old, or be stupid or make up some other justification like the player isn't as good as their favorite when they were a kid and he wasn't unanimous so this guy can't be either! It doesn't make that person any less in the hall of fame.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Popete posted:

Something that's been bugging me lately is how an error is never a positive for the hitter. There have been loads of fast running hitters who force errors due to their speed or guys who drill the ball (good contact) but it still results in an error and in both cases this negatively impacts their slash.

Is there a stat that tries to incorporate errors as a positive? I honestly think their should be two grades to an error, something like a forced error which would give credit to the hitter and an incidental error that's just your typical wild throw to first on a slow ground ball and hurts the batter.

I've had the same thought watching Trea Turner run out ground balls while the shortstop, cognizant of his speed, panics and boots the ball horribly. I'd definitely agree that its a skill and it'd be cool to quantify for players who can "force" errors like that with great speed, I just don't know if it happens often enough to make a meaningful difference.

It wouldn't be hard to modify any of the normal triple slash stats to include reached on errors by just adding them into the numerator. I would wager that REO totals probably fluctuate wildly from year to year and their inclusion makes a negligible impact on the stats of anyone but absolute fastest and slowest players in the league.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Why are all the people with bad opinions Blue Jays fans?

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

The Walrus posted:

Either PEDs are allowed or their use excludes you from the HOF, I'm not sure there's a middle ground.

They were allowed. For a really long time too. Including the vast majority of Barry Bonds' career.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Yeah but he had less than 3000 hits, lmao

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

This pitch doesn't seem possible
https://twitter.com/ThePitcherList/status/867435325357993985

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Be nice to Bryce

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Explosionface posted:

I like Bryce

My man

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

NiceGuy posted:

Again, never said that stupid-rear end-thing that you guys keep claiming I said. But don't worry, I too regard any articles that I disagree with to be fake news.

Like for real, what is the point you're trying to make with that? That because he's a lovely writer he must have made up like 10 or 12 quotes whole cloth? What the loving shocker, most players don't want to publicly come out against the literal face of the MLB.

edit: I apologize for the snark, I really do. I'm having a bad day. Can we all just drop this?

I think we're talking past each other a little bit here. It's certainly true that Harper has a reputation around various fanbases for being an arrogant jerk but I think what people are trying to argue is that that reputation is largely unearned and if you really try to interrogate the reasons why people who hate Harper do so they tend to be really flimsy / downright silly (too much eye black, lmao).

People have always thought this about him, even when he first got called up (see Cole Hamels plunking him for literally no reason) and didn't have any track record to point to beyond some lovely footage of him maybe blowing a kiss at a minor league pitcher one time. It's hard for me to really identify where the larger narrative around Harper crystalized as "talented jackass" but in my extremely biased opinion its mostly made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Spoeank posted:

lol the Giants know a plunker is coming and know they can't justifiably take out Buster

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/869684101321605121

I hope not. I'll be extremely disappointed if this stupid beef continues beyond Strickland. I hope everyone plays a friendly baseball game without incident and the Nats win by 10.

• Locked thread