Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poque posted:

The last Brewers series vs the Braves was great, because Ryan Braun got injured and Freddie Freeman dropped a bomb on Miller Park.

freddie freman seems like a huge baby but also braun is a huge baby for throwing his shinguard at the umpire. miller park owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Joey Freshwater posted:

How is Freddie a huge baby?

because he's hit like >300 with multiple dingers over the last two seasons at miller park but merely being extremely good is not enough for him and he must whine and moan about the lighting in a ballpark preventing him from becoming hank aaron or something. bitching about the lighting in milwaukee puts him in the same group as tony la russa.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Walrus posted:

lmao holy gently caress estrada in the starting lineup tonight an an al east matchup

Estrada became an ace the moment he left the pitching black hole of Milwaukee. Their staff just seems to ruin pitchers.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah it's a VIP area, which is also why they have a restaurant back there (which you can see in the video of the dong on the other tweet).

its weird because nowadays i can afford the vip poo poo, and yet id rather buy tickets somewhere really close to the infield. i can get my own drat food, i just want to see 90% of the action up close.

i assume areas like that are for companies to do events for staff who may or may not care that much about baseball and for like birthday parties and stuff.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
last year i was at a dodgers@brewers game and Puig finished the game with a .666 ops for the season thus far. that's about the most interesting thing i've seen in person.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
If I want to just see quick highlights of yesterday's games when I get into the office, what's the best place? I looked at the Must C section on MLB but there are only two clips from yesterday. I just want to see a rundown of the notable stuff from the day before since I only have time to watch Brewers games in full.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Rain delays are the worst. New stadiums shouldn't be allowed unless they have roofs.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Eric Thames has really come to earth the last week. Sample sizes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
A couple times in this series I've noticed that the pirates pitchers are wearing hoodies or jackets whole running the bases. I would have assumed it was illegal to wear anything more than your uniform. Is that allowed?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

Jackets are allowed, it's common for pitchers to wear one on the basepath when it's cooler. Because pitchers are fragile and will shatter if they get chilly.

cool. love how pitchers take the phrase "stay warm" literally and wrap their arms in towels and poo poo instead of, you know, moving it around to keep blood flowing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Grittybeard posted:

More like when someone will ride a stationary bike on the sideline than magic tape, it does serve a purpose. Well, I don't know the science, maybe this is bullshit and does nothing but the idea is to keep their arm as warm as possible since getting warm and cooling off supposedly isn't good for you.

Sometimes you'll see a pitcher not bother to put the jacket on all the way, just on their throwing arm.

That's just it, "keeping warm" is just an idiom describing the sensation of heat one perceives when there is increased blood flow in an area. Keeping your arm physically hot is not doing anything to actually keep the joint lubricated and blood flowing. They'd be better served doing some dynamic stretching with a 2lb dumbbell. But baseball players are super routine-oriented so even if every sports trainer in the world knows this good luck convincing a pitcher to change his ways.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

10 minutes late to practice

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ice Fist posted:

I actually have this thread bookmarked for now. I'm spending too much of my expendable income this year on baseball not to at least follow some threads. I'll be in NY to watch God fight the Yankees in early July. If the Yankees sweep the Brewers then it will be definitive proof that the Yankees are literally the devil.

I was in Boston a couple years back for the series where the Brewers swept the Sox in their home opener. It was hilarious watching locals make excuses about the 40 degree whether being "too cold" and leaving in the 6th inning. Hopefully you will feel the same joy I did.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i remember when the brewers went on a crazy like 50-10 tear to start the season and then turned to poo poo. this year they're just hovering around .500 and i honestly feel way better about that. it feels like genuine development and not a flash in the pan.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

Same. General consensus from what I've seen talking to people outside of here (small sample, yadda yadda): the expectation is to do better than last year, with the high end being a 500 season by the end. Playoffs would be nice, but if we don't make it it's fine.

At least the front office has been completely upfront about it being a rebuild. I greatly appreciate that rather than be stupidly optimistic in hopes of getting more ticket sales.

Yeah, a month like this under Doug Melvin would have had him selling everything out for a couple pieces to try a playoff run. It's way better to just see them putting out Arcia and Broxton every day and letting them figure things out. Broxton especially has really turned around in the last couple weeks, and Arcia does crazy defensive work on the regular.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

While I agree with you on the Melvin part (he tried to re-build quickly to win for too long after 2011), I find it odd that he is still with the organization as senior advisor. Whatever that means though.

Mark Attanasio strikes me as the kind of guy who really values loyalty and service and really struggles to cut people loose. Think about the interviews he gives in the middle of sub-500 seasons where he's still so sure if things break right we can make the playoffs. I think replacing Doug as GM is genuinely the hardest thing he's ever had to do and he just couldn't bring himself to totally fire someone who's been loyal to the org and brought us to the playoffs multiple times. I imagine it's mostly an honorary position.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

Stealing off a lefty is straight up gambling because they are allowed to balk with impunity.

I hate lefties.

This happened to Villar last night. Pitcher straight up had his knee all the way into his chest in his pitching motion before he just flung to 1st and picked him off. You can't just be up there balking like that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

He does. This is a good and bad thing. Good because well, look at Jed York and other teams that go through a GM or coach a year. Bad because sometimes, you should cut loose a guy who isn't cutting it anymore a bit sooner. Though I'd personally have someone give people a legit chance instead of one and done. If you're trying to rebuild, constantly shaking up coaches and the front office does no favors.

I mostly agree, but Attanasio's fervent desire to win all the time but on a budget left the team in a really bad position. I think hiring a new GM was a good move on the mere fact that he's not as tight with the new guy and the new guy will have his decisions affected by Mark less, regardless of how good of an actual GM that new guy is.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

N: Family went to the game last night (Crew won again). Bro caught a foul.

V: :unsmith:

Feels good man.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Grittybeard posted:

I watched Jordan Rides the Bus the other day, the 30 for 30 on his baseball....uh, career. Supposedly the guy who wrote the article for Sports Illustrated making fun of the whole thing went back at the all star break and wanted to write a followup of how much he'd changed in a few months, and everyone who was on the team with him talked about how they could imagine him putting it together. It's Jordan so he easily might have just paid everyone off to talk good about him.

I mean he slashed .202/.289/.266 for the year (although the White Sox threw him directly into AA which seems dumb), so if he improved significantly by the all star break he must have started off like 1-50 or something.

But anyway the one thing everyone agreed on is that Jordan worked his rear end off trying to make things work. I wonder how much of this Tebow is doing, you'd think we'd be getting dumb articles about how he's taking extra batting practice every day and stuff.

I mean, if I were in Tebow's position I'd certainly work my rear end off. He got into the NFL, a ticket to riches for a good QB, but there's a salary cap and he washed out. He has money, but probably not as much as he thought he'd have hoarded and he's staring at the prospect of probably not being able to totally retire. Even getting to the point of being "that guy who shows up in the outfield of whatever team is gonna suck this year and has a hole in LF" is going to make a difference to his bank account. Baseball is rife with guys who aren't good enough for you to even remember their name, but for you to see them on a visiting team and go "oh yeah, that guy. he was chilling at 2b for us when we sucked 5 years back". I think that might be attainable for him, and if can do that for 5-6 seasons that's a decent amount of money to retire on.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ok fine tebow will always be bad. i just think the best and most ironic thing would be for him to make the majors but only just and simply bounce from team to team being unnotable, no-one even remembering that he'd played for them a season or two later. like a jeff bianchi or something. monkey's paw that poo poo and give him what he wants (a major league job) without any of the notability he wants to go with it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
When the hell did the Brewers acquire handsome Eric sogard?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Craptacular! posted:

While talking about whether homophobia is normalized in locker rooms, etc, remember that's just on the coasts. Go further toward the middle and it gets even weirder.

Until he was given enough money to play in San Francisco that he couldn't say no, Jeremy Affeldt used to hide in his hotel visiting the city on road trips because he was afraid he would be singled out and corrupted by random acts of gay that could be happening on the street.

You don't have to look in traditional shithead hideouts to find homophobia in the midwest. My wife and I have been called the f-word and the d-word and had random men on the street offer to "gently caress the gay out of us" in supposedly liberal cities like Madison. It's everywhere, going into a macho safespace just intensifies it.

BasicFunk posted:

I don't think he should have been suspended. If you don't have a history of doing lovely things, pay a fine, do some charity work, and do a PSA for your first offense. Do it again and you're fined AND out for two games. Third offense, you get the fine, suspension, and the opposing catcher gets to sock you in the gut before your first plate appearance.

I think the point is that throwing around slurs is such basic "be a decent person" thing that there really is no excuse for leniency. Like someone else said earlier, if you had your worst day at work ever and shouted a word like that on your way to the break room you'd be on the fast track to fired-for-cause city. It's already an intense amount of privilege that a baseball player can do that in a stadium of 40k people broadcast into millions of homes and essentially get a 3 day vacation as punishment. A suspension doesn't even come close to being "harsh".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

See this is the beauty of it though, we get to see Stroman homer but don't have to sit through him striking out looking the other 95% of the time!

bad pitcher at bats are a worthy price to pay for pitcher dingers. the average quality of DHs has been declining anyway since managers just use it as a spot to stash oldsters who still have some power or guys who are hurt but can still hit. I suck at using BBRef and the like but DH BA over the last couple seasons has been around .240-.250. That's fuckin' dire for someone whose only job is to hit baseballs and literally do nothing else. at least with pitchers they are good at something else and then when something funny happens in their at bats it's really satisfying.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Citizen Tayne posted:

I don't really pay attention to the AL. It isn't real baseball.

this is your first good baseball post ever. im so proud of you.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

8-2 in our last 10 while missing some combination of Braun, Thames, and Shaw :eyepop:

Depth and handsomeness will take you far in base ball.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Seriously, I am gay but Eric sogard is really hot to me for some reason. He seems like he wouldn't tune out when I talk about my dreams.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

A second good post has hit the thread.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Walrus posted:

Yep I can totally see where you're coming from, and don't really want to make an argument out of it. But if I were an employer and someone that I thought was a respectful, good kid let slip a slur like that, it would be an opportunity to educate them about why it is unacceptable and its effects on others. What good is firing him going to do?

Were you a manager gay employees would feel unsafe at your company. That's bad.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just watched Kyle Hendricks walk in the tie breaking run for Milwaukee in the cubs bar in ohare. Feels good.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Ahem I think you will actually find it was the rain that walked a batter from a 1-2 count.

Lol, of course. My mistake.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Explosionface posted:

You need to get your eyes checked.

Maybe. The TV was pretty crappy. Who was pitching? Game is delayed now anyway.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I feel like for some managers Making Moves has become an end unto itself which is how you get situations like this.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Miz Kriss posted:

David Ross came in 2nd place on Dancing with the Stars for those wanting to know.

I've been watching and it's absolutely ridiculous. He's a terrible dancer but the dumb way they integrate fan votes and judges scores means he basically knocked off a bunch of more talented mostly women. At least one of the two correct choices remaining actually won.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

Isn't part of the point of DWTS that fan popularity can buoy a celeb who can't really dance so good? I've never watched it but it seems if it was just about technical dance ability that show would be boring as hell.

Yeah probably, but it made me really cranky to see like 3 capable women get bumped in a row in favor of him. Especially when Simone Biles got bumped instead of him. Probably just my tendency to see racism in fan votes, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. None of that's David's fault (and he's why I initially tuned into the show) but I will probably never watch again.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Paul Zuvella posted:

Holy poo poo Mike Trout is as charismatic as a wet napkin

mike trout remembers eating superpretzel brand soft pretzels as a kid. mike trout endorses this product.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

N: Chase Anderson: 7+, 1H, 0R, 3BB, 11Ks, no hits in the first 7.

V: That is exactly the game the Crew needed today.

I shut it off after he threw 8 consecutive balls to start the game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hand Row posted:

The Brewers would also like to thank the Tigers for Pina and Hernan Perez.

Hernan Perez is a treasure.

K-rod has had declining velocity for seasons now and he had gotten by adjusting his approach to be more deceptive. Now his velocity has declined to the point where it's robbing his pitches if movement and he just can't fool people. He should retire.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Timby posted:

Arrieta was still saying in spring training this year that he fully expects to sign a seven-year deal, and I remember last year he was telling one reporter that "aces get seven years" and specifically pointing to Strasburg, and after the first two months of the season, all I can say is :lol:

Jake seems like he is very dumb outside of the narrow domain of throwing baseballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
so if I buy MLB.tv, can I start a game that was already in progress from the beginning and skip around in it and stuff?

• Locked thread