Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As someone who loves puns, yup, yours was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Though Miller Park really paid off this weekend. Holy poo poo that was some bad weather.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

will_colorado posted:

https://twitter.com/FanRagMLB/status/859257107039756289

what the gently caress is wrong with you, Boston

http://deadspin.com/cc-sabathia-says-every-black-player-expects-racist-taun-1794851777

CC chimed in, said yup, that happens.

Also, from the comments:

quote:

Setting my alarm for 530AM to get the full 4.5 hours of Kirk and Callahan on WEEI with the HOTTEST TAKES. It’s going to be great. You’ll get Sully from Carver with his “I have a black friend” take. You’ll get Ben from Manchester who once sat in the out field in Fenway in the 1980s and NEVER HEARD A RACIST COMMENT, so THEY NEVER HAPPEN. You’ll get Jimmy from Dorchestah: “Listen, Kirk. My people wah slaves too ya know. We wah forced to come to Americah and wahk hahdah than any othah immigrants. My pa’s pa had ta wait last befah he could drink from the bubblah when he was scrubbin’ bahahcahls offah ships laid up in Fall Rivah.” Then Curt Schilling will call in and the full stupid will kick in.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Waaaaaaaay late to balk chat (thanks school and other poo poo), but there was a balk call on a Brewer pitcher earlier this year that... you know, actually was a balk and not some "oh he twitched the wrong way". He started throwing to first, decided not to mid throw, realized "OH gently caress" and threw it, but by that point he was already called for it.

It was crazy to see such a blatant one that wasn't controversial at all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poque posted:

I'm gonna need video of the wrigley crowd chanting "gently caress JOE WEST" as asap as possible

your avatar :eyepop:

Also, somewhat agreed, gently caress Joe West, unless he's loving the Cubs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So what exactly changed for the Cubs? I don't really follow other team's offseason movements.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How dare anyone show a personality.

Or try to have fun.

Or gods forbid, date someone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Julio Cruz posted:

Hmm yes staying out drinking so late that you're unable to turn up to your job sure is "showing a personality" and "having fun".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely blaming Harvey - since this has been rumored to have happened a few times now it's quite possible that he has a problem and this may well be the push he needs to get help for it - but to paint the Mets as suspending him just because they're killjoys is ridiculous.

It was a more general statement than anything, but yeah, this is a bit of a different situation given he was scheduled to pitch the next game (and other things).

Also general statement: I'm just bitter with the whole unwritten rules of baseball bullshit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm like, a borderline Harvey apologist at this point, but you are making a disingenuous argument here.

I defended him in the Meet The Teams thread, I've defended him in this thread, and I've defended him on Twitter, but if he seriously went out and got so drunk that he somehow got hungover despite being a professional athlete in the best shape of his life & knowing that water exists, how can I defend that? Hopefully all the reports are wrong and it really was just a migraine, but like...come on.

I wasn't trying to be disingenuous, apologies for coming off as such.

It's a giant pile of poo poo on both sides here. I think we can all agree on that.

Tony Phillips posted:

The baseball reference facebook page points out the best things.

Joe West - a big baby even 33 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIykgVoGVXc

Also, this is me when I'm able to correctly guess their player of the day.

Why can't every umpire be Jim Joyce? :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spoeank posted:

It's true and it saddens me greatly that they're going to sell everything that isn't nailed down in about a month.

Does that include Even Year Bullshit?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cis autodrag posted:

i remember when the brewers went on a crazy like 50-10 tear to start the season and then turned to poo poo. this year they're just hovering around .500 and i honestly feel way better about that. it feels like genuine development and not a flash in the pan.

Same. General consensus from what I've seen talking to people outside of here (small sample, yadda yadda): the expectation is to do better than last year, with the high end being a 500 season by the end. Playoffs would be nice, but if we don't make it it's fine.

At least the front office has been completely upfront about it being a rebuild. I greatly appreciate that rather than be stupidly optimistic in hopes of getting more ticket sales.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

So she drove in to other car's backbackbackbackbackback gone. :smith:

The guy she hit died too.

Do they know why she hit him? Like did he brake suddenly because of something on the road and she couldn't stop in time or?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, knock it off. There's no need to get heated.

The above post is fine though, made while this one was

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Stealing off a lefty is straight up gambling because they are allowed to balk with impunity.

I hate lefties.

As a lefty, I hate you too (I throw righty though, go figure).

cis autodrag posted:

Mark Attanasio strikes me as the kind of guy who really values loyalty and service and really struggles to cut people loose. Think about the interviews he gives in the middle of sub-500 seasons where he's still so sure if things break right we can make the playoffs. I think replacing Doug as GM is genuinely the hardest thing he's ever had to do and he just couldn't bring himself to totally fire someone who's been loyal to the org and brought us to the playoffs multiple times. I imagine it's mostly an honorary position.

He does. This is a good and bad thing. Good because well, look at Jed York and other teams that go through a GM or coach a year. Bad because sometimes, you should cut loose a guy who isn't cutting it anymore a bit sooner. Though I'd personally have someone give people a legit chance instead of one and done. If you're trying to rebuild, constantly shaking up coaches and the front office does no favors.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cis autodrag posted:

I mostly agree, but Attanasio's fervent desire to win all the time but on a budget left the team in a really bad position. I think hiring a new GM was a good move on the mere fact that he's not as tight with the new guy and the new guy will have his decisions affected by Mark less, regardless of how good of an actual GM that new guy is.

He seems to be on the right track so far, but only time will ultimately tell.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

N: Family went to the game last night (Crew won again). Bro caught a foul.

V: :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The problem with Tebow is if you cut him because he's trash, him and his fanbase will claim because he's too religious.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Armitage posted:

the mets should make changes after today but sadly they are always content to stand pat until it's too late.

Thanks for the sweep :kheldragar:

But yeah, Mets' have problems, but I think they're deeper than the onfield talent.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tom Gorman posted:

the yankees are good and cool this year and I figured this to be the popular SAS consensus. if you like baseball, this is the most 'fun' team the NYY have fielded since I can basically remember.

Hot take:

no.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bewbies posted:

Derek Jeter was a really good baseball player for a long time, I'll see myself out.

real talk: Jeter was an inverse Tony Romo, sort of. Above average most of the time, came up big when it mattered a lot. He's a hall of famer for sure, but the whole circle-jerk over him is bad. If he had that sort of career anywhere BUT NY, Chicago or Boston (maybe LA), ESPN may request the rights to that specific game, but by no means would they do the hours long circle jerk about him.

Who would have thought trying to shove something in someone's faces as "THE BEST EVAR" would backfire! (*cough* cubs fans *cough*)

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 15, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Actually, question. Did ESPN do this sort of poo poo when Griffey's number was retired? He's probably the only person with any sort of clout that Jeter had in the public eye.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have a hot take for ya: cubs suck.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Senf posted:

But really, who the gently caress puts ketchup on their hot dog sandwich?

Bud Selig.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Guess what.

Barry Bonds never tested positive, unlike members of The core 4 that helped Jeter win a bunch of titles...

Speaking of steroids, Braun is on the DL.

I hope we can unload him this year for some decent pitching prospects, but I doubt it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Throw the pumpkins in the lake.

I find shooting pumpkins out of a cannon to be cooler.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poque posted:

If this isn't Hall of Fame material then just disband it already

:chloe:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Those storms that moved through today methinks. Milwaukee is about to get hit but the Crew are out West right now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

R.D. Mangles posted:

Looking forward to the plucky underdog Cubs trying to steal one from the Mighty, First Place Brewer

Hahahah there's no way we're in-

*looks*

:shepface:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Look at all these AL fans experiencing the joy of a pitcher dong. It's cute.

Pitcher dongs are the best.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Does the manager count?

Namely his old batting stance?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Goodpancakes posted:

Pretend I photoshopped judge's Jersey onto the monster from Goonies for ugliest player on the Yankees

HEY YOU GUUUUUUUUUUUUYS *blasts homer*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Holy poo poo, a balk that is, you know, not some weird rear end corner case.

And yeah, that's the reaction to expect.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IcePhoenix posted:

The best part is it's not even the first silly balk the Twins have scored a run off of this year

https://streamable.com/gqe6a

So wait, you're telling me there were at least three balk calls this year where it wasn't the ump going "he twitched the wrong way" but something blatantly obvious?

I mean, you could argue letter vs spirit here for those two (given the rule is to prevent unfair play by the pitcher), but given the game is called by the letter of the rule, drat.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Another person who should be in the hall of fame but isn't: Tommy John.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Holy gently caress that's nasty :stare:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Point. Either way, one of those two need to be in because of contributions to the sport as a whole.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

Miller notoriously hated the Hall of Fame and repeatedly said he'd boycott his own induction.

What reasons did he have exactly?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grittybeard posted:

I get that it's pretty rare to have 4 K's in an inning, but it seems kind of crazy that no one has had 5 since baseball has been played for 120+ years.

What I'm saying is we need to develop more knuckleballers.

Knuckleballers are loving awesome. I can understand why people don't do it (harder of a pitch to master), but when one is on their game, it's amazing to watch people be baffled by a 60 mph pitch.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

N: Chase Anderson: 7+, 1H, 0R, 3BB, 11Ks, no hits in the first 7.

V: That is exactly the game the Crew needed today.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Walk-off celebrations are the best :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

shadok posted:

Holy poo poo. I just noticed this today: the reason Dioner Navarro hasn't been around anywhere this year is because his wife, who was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm last season, had a massive stroke in December that nearly killed her. As it was she was in a coma for three months and has only recently returned home. Poor guy. He says he's not ready to retire, though, so hopefully he'll be back in MLB at some point.

https://jaysjournal.com/2017/05/22/blue-jays-dioner-navarro-takes-time-off-after-almost-losing-his-wife/

:smith: Hopefully she recovers fully.

• Locked thread