Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

will_colorado posted:

https://twitter.com/FanRagMLB/status/859257107039756289

what the gently caress is wrong with you, Boston

I'd like to say I'm shocked but y'know, it's Boston so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

I will be cooking a grilli cheese for dinner, tonight. I'm thinking if I cook it during the 6th inning break it'll be ready just in time for me to slam it down on the floor when he blows the save, tonight.

It wasn't a save so I hope you didn't need to break out the swiffer.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The weirdest game I ever went to was a Red Sox Jays game, where I was about 5 rows up from home plate. Daniel Bard was starting for the Red Sox and he had no idea where the ball was going. He hit 3 batters and walked 4 or 5 more and I was shocked he didn't kill someone 30 feet in front of me.

He was sent down the next day and I don't think he ever started again.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Not to say he's a drunk, but if you've ever dealt with one in a professional capacity, at some point you get sick of whatever excuses they give and tell them to stay the gently caress home and get their poo poo together.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTxCK9jh-n0/?hl=en

Theo is actually cool and not a goober like the dudes running my favorite team's front office.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

beejay posted:

I'm still fine because world series win last season, but god drat this Cubs season is a gross pile.

Cubs fans gonna cubs fan.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

A healthy Jays team could maybe turn things around since the schedule through the end of June is pillow soft.

A team anchored by Kevin Pillar and Justin Smoak?

hahahah

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not siding with the Mets but for some reason I get the feeling this isn't the first time this has happened with Harvey.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Mariners' DL consists of Felix, Paxton, Smyly, Iwakuma, Haniger and Cishek. Yet they're still playing .500 ball. Looking forward to lots of dingers from both sides in Toronto!

Ezequiel Carrera and Kevin Pillar are gonna crush you!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He always was.

Edit: And Donaldson might beat that for next season.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

canadianclassic posted:

Yeah that was rough for the Mariners. I was starting to think they might get exciting especially when everyone gets healthy but getting swept by a really lovely version of the Jays is disheartening.

I was pulling for the M's in that series since the Jays already seemed like a lost cause and the Mariners were at 500 but there they go making GBS threads it up again :shrug: Neither team is gonna end up contending at this rate.

The Jays are 3 back in the wild card and have a super easy schedule through the end of June. They could be .500 by the weekend.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

N: Jays swept Seattle and. Have now won their last 5.

V: Jays have been on a hot streak, but I still think they're hosed and won't make playoffs this year. Glad Sanchez is apparently done being hurt for the time being. I have mixed feelings about the other guys on the DL aside from Happ because the guys playing right now have something going and I'd hate to yoink someone like Goins when he's having a career year. I could do without Pearce but I'm not 100% convinced that Carrera could last the whole season playing full length games. He tanked bad when they tried giving him extra playing time.

I too would rather Ryan Goins and Darwin Barney play instead of Josh Donaldson and Troy Tulowitzki.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Tulo has sucked, so yes I'd rather have Gogo in the field right now

I never said Barney did I, of course donaldson's more valuable

Tulo at his worst is better than any version of Goins ever.

Next caller.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Except you only mentioned being mixed in what injured players should even play? Maybe you want Russell to sit in favor of Luke Maile!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

shadok posted:

Won't Goins be staying at 2B anyways?

Devon Travis has a .725 ops in May.

Goins is slashing .724 over the same period.

Barney is .750

So maybe?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Jays are most certainly playing for something this year. They have 28 games over the next month and a half with Atlanta, Oakland, Milwaukee, Texas, Cincinnati and the White Sox.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Billy Hamilton is the most frustrating player in the history of baseball because if he had literally one offensive skill other than running fast he would be amazing.

I wonder how many players in modern baseball history have stolen more bases than they have drawn walks. It's probably a short list.

Without looking Juan Pierre has to be on that list.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I mean, when's the last time you have ever seen 11 straight years of absolute dominance that wasn't Barry Bonds. Pujols first 11 years were absolutely insane. Trout is doing it right now but still needs to do it for 6 more years. Seriously, Pujols placed top 5 MVP 10 of the 11 years. Winning it 3 times and placing second 4 times.

Depending on your definition of complete dominance, Miguel Cabrera.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Wasn't there some thing where La Russa didn't like Rolen for some incredibly dumb reason? What was up with that?

La Russa thought his shoulder problems were bullshit and that Rolen wasn't tough.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Cito was cooler that Tony La Russa and loved to talk poo poo about him which is why Cito is the best.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I mentioned Cito because he wasn't afraid to call bullshit on the racist things that happen in baseball which pretty much kept him from getting a job outside Toronto yet noted alcoholic rear end in a top hat garbage person Tony La Russa keeps getting hired because reasons.

And because he liked talking poo poo about La Russa and calling attention to that double standard.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Pretty sure Edgar was the first full time DH, yeah.

shadok posted:

Or Hal McRae.

Ya its him and Yaz.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wait 'til you see his hot takes on Ryan Goins!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Derek Jeter did steroids too just like everyone else in the core 4.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

He couldn't even break 3,000 hits in spite of cheating and playing for 3 years longer than Jeter

He's also a terrible human being

Derek Jeter played on teams loaded to the gills with steroids and won titles because of that. And he got a whole bunch of extra PAs because his steroid using teammates scored more runs and kept the lineup moving.

How's that for a hot take!

Also he probably used steroids and left a gift basket for his dealer.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Your favorite player from the 80s or 90s probably did all kinds of illegal poo poo to play baseball better.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Anyone who gets mad about an athlete using PEDs is incredibly naive about how many athletes from high school through to the masters games are doping.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

This ridiculous statement can be used to turn a blind eye to every lovely thing in sports including domestic abuse, petty crimes, and worse. Its a dumb argument and you shouldn't abandon an ideal to defend millionaire retired sports personalities.

Yes my argument is the dumb one says the guy who compares injecting testosterone into ones butt with terrorizing a loved one...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I honestly can't remember whether any of the early 90s Jays got caught doping. Since the new regime only Colabello and two minor leaguers in the Jays org

Guess what.

Barry Bonds never tested positive, unlike members of The core 4 that helped Jeter win a bunch of titles...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I wanted the Jays to trade for Ryan Braun in the offseason but instead they signed Steve Pearce and every pitching prospect has turned into a pumpkin.

I miss AA

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Okay but now that the pitching prospects are pumpkinized the Jays will have a lot of very cost-effective pumpkins. This is how you build a winner.

Throw the pumpkins in the lake.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Worked for Collabello, so you're probably right.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

loving truth. Before 1998 (which is when he started according to Game of Shadows) he had 7400 PAs with a 162 OPS+, 3 MVPs and 91.5 WAR.

Ya but how many hits did he have?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Either PEDs are allowed or their use excludes you from the HOF, I'm not sure there's a middle ground.

OR you punish ped use when players play and not have it matter for the HOF because everyone in baseball ever loving cheats at something.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No I know salty is a poo poo defender and wasn't aware he'd been picked up already but man that anchor in the order is awful and I feel like at this specific moment you'd probably want someone who can hit more than someone who is a good defender.

Apparently Navarro is sitting at home with 'bated breath. He's not awesome either but even a .200 hitting mediocre catcher would be better than the one-hit wonder

And yet you're all aboard the Ryan Goins over Tulo train? Lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Walrus posted:

my point of view would be that amphetamines don't give you any innate natural ability, whereas steroids enable you to better physically express your natural ability.

Hahaha what does this even mean.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Hey folks, I'm going to Toronto next month and I'm looking at tickets, I see there's a $100 seat at field level down the far right-field line. Is that a good deal for that kind of seat? I've never sat at field-level before but I want to do it at some point. There's also $35 outfield seats in like the second row which seem very good.

The Jays are not good, and so everyone that bought tickets with the intent of selling half of them at a big profit is selling them for whatever they can get on stubhub day of. You can get great seats day of for like 30 bucks canadian, you just can't purchase anything on stubhub 2 hours or less before game time. I've sat 20 rows up from home for 20 big ones this year which used to be the norm for midweek games.

As for those specific seats, the further towards the foul pole you get, the more your body is going to hate you since the seats are not pointed towards home plate since the stadium used to be dual use, so you constantly have to sit at an angle or your head turned which can feel not good after a few hours. Outfield seats are fine provided they are near the front. If you sit near the back of those sections you can't see fly balls properly.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Suspend and trade Kevin Pillar.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya there's a reason that we need to have right to play and similar organizations just to allow people to play sports and there's a reason there aren't openly gay athletes in most major male sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pillar's apology was a joke.

• Locked thread