Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Reminder for the new thread that Pancakes, Inspector_666, and myself will be meeting up in Wicker Park, Chicago, this Saturday (May 6) for lunch. If you're interested in joining us, shoot me a PM.

Bonus points if you can also come up with a good joke that begins with "a Cubs fan, a Cardinals fan, and a Yankees fan walk into a bar". :v:

Nobody walks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

William T. Hornaday posted:

Having the same issue.

Think it's now behind the paywall. I pay for .tv tho so get atbat for free

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

William T. Hornaday posted:

I've got a MLB.tv Premium subscription, so I should have access to it. It just looks like a loading screen that never actually loads when I try to see box scores or play-by-play.

That's a bug then, idk

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Miz Kriss posted:

Stupid question , but I'm doing a custom paint job for my mom for her birthday. Do you know what font the Cubs use for their jerseys (mainly the pinstripe ones)?

http://www.ffonts.net/MLB-Cubs.font.download

Julio Cruz posted:

I'll see that and raise you a left fielder, a catcher, and both halves of a first base platoon.

e: Wright's been injured for so long I forgot he was even on the team.

I'll raise you 3 starters and an All-Star third baseman.

canadianclassic posted:

Every goon's favorite pitcher will be getting his first MLB start!

http://www.tsn.ca/biagini-to-start-for-jays-on-sunday-1.744019

Don't know what the bullpen's going to do but I'm stoked for Biagini

Funny they would choose to do this after he got worked in his last relief appearance

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

We are not replete with pitchers.

Oh I know but I'd almost rather a platoon game than throwing him in front of the bus

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

If he's as bad as you expect you'll get both.

He's not bad, he just had a rough outing

We'll see I guess

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

I think they said he's throwing with a pitch limit of 60 so I'll assume he goes ~4 and then maybe Tepera goes ~2 and then cobble together the rest with the rest of their ten man bullpen

Ah that makes more sense

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

I feel like maybe more people need to love Joe Biagini like I do so please enjoy:

https://twitter.com/Wilnerness590/status/860604750840160256

https://twitter.com/Beezersun/status/861318031573647361

PS: He had his first career start today and went 4.0IP, 2H, 1R (but 0ER), 4K. 52 pitches, 37 Ks

:swoon:

Joey Bagels is my favourite man of Italian descent

canadianclassic posted:

Glad it went well for him. He's probably my favorite Blue Jay right now

Pillar is having a breakout season and he was already pretty high on my list. Loup is also having a career season so far.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

The Jays' DL consists of Sanchez, Happ, Tulo, Donaldson, and Martin (with Morales day to day) yet they just won a series against Cleveland. It's gonna be a fun series with the Mariners for sure.

Yeah I'm kinda hoping they are through the worst of it. Will be interesting to see how they do if they can get some of their good players back. I still think they aren't going to make the playoffs but at least they've won the last couple series.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

N: Jays swept Seattle and. Have now won their last 5.

V: Jays have been on a hot streak, but I still think they're hosed and won't make playoffs this year. Glad Sanchez is apparently done being hurt for the time being. I have mixed feelings about the other guys on the DL aside from Happ because the guys playing right now have something going and I'd hate to yoink someone like Goins when he's having a career year. I could do without Pearce but I'm not 100% convinced that Carrera could last the whole season playing full length games. He tanked bad when they tried giving him extra playing time.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I too would rather Ryan Goins and Darwin Barney play instead of Josh Donaldson and Troy Tulowitzki.

Tulo has sucked, so yes I'd rather have Gogo in the field right now

I never said Barney did I, of course donaldson's more valuable

Inspector_666 posted:

This is more true than all of the ridiculously contrarian "Actually Jeter was...very bad!" shitposting that has seized the entire online baseball community.

Yeah man that guy who has over 3,000 career hits sure did suck :agesilaus:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Gobias Ind. posted:

Ryan Goins is slashing 230/292/368 and Troy Tulowitzki is a really loving good defender. This is a ludicrous take.

Honestly I wasn't thinking it would be Tulo sitting out, Travis would be the more obvious bench when Tulo comes back. You can't tell me with a straight face that Travis deserves to be playing right now

E: I know I went along with it in my previous post - my first post however I was more thinking of Travis somehow staying in while Goins or Barney got benched.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Except you only mentioned being mixed in what injured players should even play? Maybe you want Russell to sit in favor of Luke Maile!

I mentioned him potentially getting sat with Tulo and Donaldson coming back, I forgot to mention who I thought should be sat instead

Obviously there's no way to prove that but that's what I was thinking :shrug:

I wasn't fully awake and probably wasn't very clear in my thinking

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Gobias Ind. posted:

I would still start Devon Travis over Ryan Goins every day. This team is not playing for anything this year. Ryan Goins is what he is - an all glove utility infielder. Devon Travis could/should be more than that. Let him either work his poo poo out, or prove that he is not very good.

Travis has had some good moments but he has underperformed his potential at pretty much every turn

As bad as Maile has been with the bat I'm surprised the Jays didn't nav Navarro on a cheap deal to fill the massive hole in the order

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 15, 2017

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Gobias Ind. posted:

I guess "nothing to play for" is unfair. I don't envision them truly contending for a playoff spot, but the opportunity is somehow there.

Doesn't change my opinion re: Travis vs. Goins though (and that's not directed towards you, as I suspect you'd agree)

As opposed to Ryan Goins who has been mediocre-bad his whole career? At least Devon Travis HAS potential.

I thought Goins has pretty good defensive stats?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

That's exactly my point. Other teams would have cut/benched/at the very least moved down the order a SS that age with that little production, but the Yankees didn't because they wanted him to get 3000 hits to boost his HoF credentials.

That's because the Yankees understand how to make money

Rad Valtar posted:

How about nobody gets in until Bonds does because it's a loving travesty.

Bonds was a doping cheater (and continued to be one after they started actually enforcing it, idiot) and should never get in

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

He couldn't even break 3,000 hits in spite of cheating and playing for 3 years longer than Jeter

He's also a terrible human being

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Hey guys let's put this guy who definitely doped and perjured himselfobstructed justice in federal court several times about it into our permanent record of good baseball men so that kids will know the way to get ahead is to cheat the system and be an rear end in a top hat

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Your favorite player from the 80s or 90s probably did all kinds of illegal poo poo to play baseball better.

I honestly can't remember whether any of the early 90s Jays got caught doping. Since the new regime only Colabello and two minor leaguers in the Jays org

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Anyone who gets mad about an athlete using PEDs is incredibly naive about how many athletes from high school through to the masters games are doping.

No, what I said was he was a known user who was found guilty of lying to court. What I definitely didn't say was that he was unique in baseball, but everything he ever did has a very public asterisk next to it and he is a lovely hof candidate because of it. That plus his unlikeable personality make him hard to recommend.

I'm well aware of the culture of "supplements" in pro and competitive amateur sports. I was reffing at a junior hockey showcase tourney this past weekend and the lobby of the rink was full of people peddling ground bull testicles or whatever garbage they thought the kids would choke down to be a step faster than the next guy, at a table next to "how to apply for NCAA scholarships" and "Johnny Skatefast Real Good Hockey School For Kids From Rich Families"

Being aware of it and accepting it are different things and if that means dropping hot takes about Barry Bonds then so be it

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Guess what.

Barry Bonds never tested positive, unlike members of The core 4 that helped Jeter win a bunch of titles...

I'm not advocating for Jeter, I was just pointing out that he had more hits than Bonds. BB admitted to using the stuff, so testing positive is kind of irrelevant.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Okay but now that the pitching prospects are pumpkinized the Jays will have a lot of very cost-effective pumpkins. This is how you build a winner.

:homebrew:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMfT2cZGHg

Roids don't matter if you have a .600 OBP without the bat!

You get a .600 OBP without the bat because pitchers are afraid of your 'roid-enhanced arms

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Ambassador of Funk posted:

I know you're mostly just trying to stir poo poo

At least somebody noticed

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Luke Maile is hitting .030 for the season.

How is that even possible?

Because the Jays don't even have a literal garbage pail to stick behind the plate while Martin is injured. He's pretty good defensively and he hasn't had a huge number of PAs so even one hit will bump that up but he is sucking with the bat

Punting Salty is looking like one of Gibby's dumber moves imo

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I wonder if this is an actual baseball rule? Like you can't make baked goods if you're employed with a team for a member of another team just in case.

Obviously that's how the drugs got in Colabello's system, he got a tainted cannoli from the Yankees kitchen staff

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

He's been resigned to a minor league deal already, Maile is a better backup when Martin is healthy because Salty is a brutal defender (and wasn't hitting at all either), and Gibbons might have a little influence on those types of decisions but he's certainly not the only one who decides whether or not to release a player. Or is this you just "trying to stir poo poo up" again

No I know salty is a poo poo defender and wasn't aware he'd been picked up already but man that anchor in the order is awful and I feel like at this specific moment you'd probably want someone who can hit more than someone who is a good defender.

Apparently Navarro is sitting at home with 'bated breath. He's not awesome either but even a .200 hitting mediocre catcher would be better than the one-hit wonder

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

And yet you're all aboard the Ryan Goins over Tulo train? Lol

No, I was on the Goins over Travis train, but I might have to get off if Travis continues to fix his poo poo over the next couple days

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

MLB N/V May: Straw Man Thunderdome

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Hey folks, I'm going to Toronto next month and I'm looking at tickets, I see there's a $100 seat at field level down the far right-field line. Is that a good deal for that kind of seat? I've never sat at field-level before but I want to do it at some point. There's also $35 outfield seats in like the second row which seem very good.

I really like the baseline seats at the Skydome Rogers Centre. The right field side is on the south-east so you will be in direct sunlight for an afternoon game. If you like that, great, if not, try for third baseline which gets some shade later in the afternoon. Also third baseline is the Jays dugout, first base is the filthy visitors which maybe is good if you like to heckle.

The second row outfield seats are pretty decent too but you won't have as good a view of the pitching or of plays on the bases. there are also better food choices near the infield seats.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

My son idolizes Pillar :smith:. We weren't watching tonight so he hasn't seen it directly and probably won't hear about it but kinda disappointing.

Der Meister posted:

Subtle carpal fractures are quite often occult on X-ray. You're still probably correct.

Occluded?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't know how old your son is but if Jorge Posada (my favorite player growing up) said some hosed up poo poo and I found out that my mom knew but didn't tell me and let me go on thinking the world of him, I'd feel a little betrayed.

Yeah, that's part of the dilemma

Pillar before now has generally been seen as a pretty good guy too, he does lots for kids charities in Toronto. :sigh:

bewbies posted:

I've wondered this since I was like 7 and a big kid hit me with a pitch but I've never actually asked it: why don't baseballers wear hockey style pads on their lead arm and hand?

edit - other than Barry's performance enhancing armor of course

Several do now

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

The Walrus posted:

kp is now 100% good in my books again and I couldn't be happier about it. it was such an ugly stupid thing to have happen but he has handled it as well as he possibly could have.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/mlb/why-did-it-happen-toronto-blue-jays-kevin-pillar-reflects-on-homophobic-slur-he-yelled-at-opponent

I think he has reacted about as well as someone could and I get the sense from the way some of the stuff was worded that the suspension might have been something he offered up and not just imposed by the league or team. I think I can talk to my son about it as a good teaching moment about how good people sometimes do bad / stupid things in the heat of the moment and what defines you is how you deal with it afterwards. I mean hopefully you don't say the stupid thing in the first place but if it leaks out then you own it and do what you can to make it better.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Also LOL at Bautista playing 3B today, or any day really

E: $20 million utility fielder

:laffo:

:negative:

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 23, 2017

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

"Shits not working I gotta do something" is a natural reaction of managers of all kinds of businesses, not just baseball. Sometimes you have to accept that you have your best pieces in their best spots and just accept you have lovely pieces.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Hey I know let's put Old Man Baseball in a position where he needs to be able to jump, dive and repeatedly make throws in order to do his job

Although, while I would never wish injury on someone, if he gets hurt then they can get him out of the roster and put in someone who is on the uptrend of their career rather than the downward spiral

Maybe Gibby's smarter than we're giving him credit for :v:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Chexoid posted:

Bautista is hitting 288/402/603 in May. You really have to stop making these kinds of posts.

Great! see previous note about being on career down-slope. A good may still leaves him with middling to bad season stats. Which is closer to his remaining potential?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

We're not likely to be contending this year so it would be good to get some of our young guys some exposure. Now that he's recovered his trade value a bit, trade him to someone who's in the running for some picks and drive on.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The Gwinnett Braves are looking for a new mascot in 2018.

Because I have no originality, I've submitted Teamy McTeamfaces.

Gwinnett Winners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

patonthebach posted:

I was pretty impressed with his public apology, it does seem to be pretty genuine and one of the better ones I've heard from an athlete. Hopefully he gets a chance to do some good for a gay charity or maybe join up in the pride parade or something this year.

Pretty sure I saw he agreed to do some spokesmanship for the charity his pay went to

N: Jays win, wheeeee

V: I am liking Joey Bagels as a starter if he can get his endurance up a bit more. Only reason he didn't get the W is he got into his highest pitch count of the season and ran out of steam, he otherwise threw a pretty good start

• Locked thread