Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros make the playoffs last year if they have this Keuchel instead of last year's version

I'm so glad he's unbroken :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They were in the World Series literally two years ago

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

When you stare into the void...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Judge and Toe are rebels, will not abide by your "No Borrowing Uniforms" signs.

Wannabe Altuve/Gomez picture :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't really care for the prospect of teams being able to fine fans, regardless of what it's for

And it really does become a free speech issue if the city or state issues the fine

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Here's Marwin Gonzalez's grand slam, which is apparently a homerun 2% of the time based on EV

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mike Fiers is allowing 4.26 HR/9

:stare:

Meanwhile Josh Hader is sporting these locks

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got to see baseball's least likely occurrence live: the Mike Fiers nono

I was unable to get out of work after being offered a free ticket to game 4 of the 2015 ALDS, kinda glad to have missed out on that one

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I remember a while back there was a White Sox fan goon who couldn't use his tickets to a game at the Cell because he was stuck at work, so he offered them up in the N/V thread. A Cubs fan goon took the ticket and it ended up being Buehrle's perfect game.

This is pretty much how I got to watch the Fiers nono from Imasalmon's seat :grin:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol if you think you're getting anything for Napoli

They also absolutely have to hold onto Lucroy for at least long enough to let him try to pull out of this slump

Gomez has reverted to his Astros form right down to striking out to end the game swinging at absolutely everything and then not bothering to run to first after the dropped third strike with the tying run on third base

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

He also had the bat scandal the year prior.

One of the funniest stories in baseball history

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

When asked why he used Sorrento's bat instead of grabbing one of Albert's that hadn't been corked, Grimsley said that all of Albert's bats were corked

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So Marwin Gonzalez is hitting .246/.352/.672 which is ridiculous (and that ISO is unsustainable)

But it turns out his BABIP is .179 :stare:

e: Yes, I realize he only has 73 PA

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah it's pretty crazy to have more than 3 baserunners per inning and only manage two runs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

In the latest "gently caress off, Curt Schilling" news

quote:

I don’t believe the story, given the world we live in. I don’t believe it, for this reason: Everybody is starving and hungry to sit in front of a camera and talk and be social justice warriors. And if a fan yelled loud enough in center field for Adam Jones to hear the N-word, I guarantee you we would’ve heard and seen fans around on CNN on MSNBC, they would’ve found multiple fans to talk about what a racist piece of junk Boston is.

quote:

“I spent most of my adult life in baseball parks. I heard the N-word out of my black teammates’ mouths about 100 million times,” Schilling continued. “For somebody to talk loud enough for Adam Jones to hear the N-word in center field, other people would have heard it.

“If somebody did say it, we’re going to see it and hear about it, and I would apologize to Adam Jones for doubting him, but until then, I think this is bulls—t. I think this is somebody creating a situation.”

https://twitter.com/gehrig38/status/860181762818936864

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"He's probably lying but even if he isn't who cares?"

-Curt Schilling

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

You are blocked from following @gehrig38 and viewing @gehrig38's Tweets. Learn more

My biggie is Trump lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Good Dog posted:

our closer is Bud Norris.

Wait, really? :stare:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So this is what a near heart attack looks like

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This picture off Deadspin is everything

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

remember when the cubs were good at baseball

The Cardinals back on top...

:negative:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tomorrow begins Astros vs Yankees, aka the two best teams in baseball

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I wish people didn't no-sell my Astros Lounge :smith:

Hey I did my best :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

This is your only post in the thread and I have no idea what you're talking about.

He made an "Astros, bitch" thread which has literally no chance of getting off the ground because it's May and also they're not the Cubs

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wish list for Tribe should they still be doing well at Deadline:

1. Get rid of Trevor Bauer.
2. Find proper CF.
3. Find C who can hit.
4. Find another adequate starting pitcher.

Astros wish list: Mike Fiers DFA'd, a lefty to come out of the pen

Tony Sipp was a high 4s-low 5s FIP guy, then had two years up sub 3 FIP, signed an extension, then had it jump right into the sixes. This season it has improved to 4.38

He's currently the only lefty in the Astros pen

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 11, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Astros #1 in baseball in mid May, I wonder if this has ever happened before

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I could watch Marisnick gunning down Jacoby all day

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1378611983/must-c-conclusion-marisnicks-strong-throw-ends-game/

Also: gently caress look at that slider hang

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dexo posted:

Lmao gently caress the sun times.

This owns, the team's social media dude just coming out and roasting them is great

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

iospace please update the title: I may need a ticket for a Cubs game

If anyone can work a pun into that please do

something something Indiana Jones says "No ticket"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

I mean, if I were in Tebow's position I'd certainly work my rear end off. He got into the NFL, a ticket to riches for a good QB, but there's a salary cap and he washed out. He has money, but probably not as much as he thought he'd have hoarded and he's staring at the prospect of probably not being able to totally retire. Even getting to the point of being "that guy who shows up in the outfield of whatever team is gonna suck this year and has a hole in LF" is going to make a difference to his bank account. Baseball is rife with guys who aren't good enough for you to even remember their name, but for you to see them on a visiting team and go "oh yeah, that guy. he was chilling at 2b for us when we sucked 5 years back". I think that might be attainable for him, and if can do that for 5-6 seasons that's a decent amount of money to retire on.

Tebow made almost $10 million, if he can't retire on that I have no sympathy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So the skinny on Headley's ejection: After he fouled the bunt (it hit his hand), McCann said something to him then he said "I never said anything to you" in response and he was tossed because the ump thought he was talking to him

What

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Yankees have six losses at home this season

Three of them just came from the Astros :getin:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

iospace posted:

Actually, question. Did ESPN do this sort of poo poo when Griffey's number was retired? He's probably the only person with any sort of clout that Jeter had in the public eye.

1) Not a Yankee and 2) Didn't spend his whole career on one team and 3) Wasn't instrumental in a number of championships

I still can't believe that Jeter toss that got Giambi

Despite his injuries, Griffey did retire with a higher WAR than Jeter though :getin:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Your favorite player from the 80s or 90s probably did all kinds of illegal poo poo to play baseball better.

Unless you're a Mets fan in which case it was just a shitload of coke

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm still skeptical about this conclusion. For one thing, pitches Bonds sees at 0-2 are not going to have the same ball-strike ratio as pitches he sees at 3-0.

You may be overthinking this internet comedian's scenario of Barry Bonds playing baseball without a bat

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Edmonds was probably closer to an average fielder than anything, he just made a lot of highlight reel plays because he positioned himself like an idiot.

But still, even an average fielding CF with a bat like that not being in the hall is sad.

On the other hand

edmonds.swf

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Walrus posted:

how do you know how good of a player he would have been if he didn't cheat? you can have a pretty good idea, but you can never be sure.

Either PEDs are allowed or their use excludes you from the HOF, I'm not sure there's a middle ground.

Because you take the player's results in the context of the environment he played in. Unless you want to start booting guys based on factor like pre-integration, the height of the mound, spitballs, etc

Also I can't believe we're having the "This HOFer wouldn't have been good without PEDs" discussion in 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Infidel Castro posted:

Actually, they've won two despite having never won a division title.

I know, I'm not helping.

The Astros didn't win their division the year they went :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Walrus posted:

I've already said that if bonds was never actually caught by the league then he should be fine, but I'll add that the comparisons being made between sterioids and things like amphetamines, spitballs and pine resin are pretty ridiculous.

This is dumb and you should feel dumb

The Walrus posted:

my point of view would be that amphetamines don't give you any innate natural ability, whereas steroids enable you to better physically express your natural ability.

I used to be prescribed a lot of amphetamines and I never noticed any difference when playing a sport - adrenaline has the same effect anyway. I didn't really consider off days and training though I guess. I'll admit to being a layman on this.

I, the casual athlete, never noticed any difference when I took amphetamines, therefor greenies had no positive effect for professional athletes who played every day

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Baseball players have literally always cheated to get an edge, but somehow steroids are different I guess

"Greenies and spitballs and not letting The Blacks play are honorable forms of cheating unlike steroids"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

One of the most memorable moments in the history of the sport involved stealing signs, better vacate the Giants victory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Walrus posted:

so all cheating should be allowed then

Yes that's what I said. When did Murray Chass get an account here anyway?

The whole discussion started with the notion that Barry Bonds doesn't deserve to be in the HOF because maybe he wouldn't have been that good without steroids because all the guys who took steroids somehow became hall of fame level producers I guess? Bonds presumably cheated but was without a doubt a HOF level player regardless, just like all the HOF level players of the past who cheated were almost certainly HOF level players without cheating but no one seems to mind them being in compared to Bonds

Nevermind that the league practically invited players to take steroids to begin with

• Locked thread