Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

YeahTubaMike posted:

Hunter Strickland is an enormous bitch.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Plunking a dude because you loving suck at pitching is the ultimate bitchmade move :lol:

e: The deceptive helmet toss may have been my favorite thing ever.

:same:

lol he threw at Harper for hitting homeruns off him two loving years ago or whatever it was

Craptacular! posted:

I enjoy watching Harper getting clocked regardless, because he tries so hard to be Mr. Testosterone. There's a grand ol' list of People Who Are Projecting A Little Too Much, and he's right under the current leader of the free(?) world.

No reason to throw at him, though.

(Edit: Okay after seeing the SF footage I have to believe Strickland is the bigger bitch because it took three guys struggling to pull him out of the crowd long after only one person pulled Bryce away.)

I bet you were on Papelbon's side after the choking incident

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So uh this popped up in the TFF chat thread

https://twitter.com/barry/status/869572620102094849

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Harper is really really good at baseball and isn't fake humble about it, so what

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh my god he's only 24 still, I keep forgetting just how young he is

Can't wait to see the hot takes when he signs his $500m contract

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Sometimes he's praised for saying something like "let guys flip bats", but it's a moment when a broken clock is right twice a day because really is just continuing his effort to be the world's biggest alpha male. Sure you can argue he's super competitive, but it's also kind of arrogant, and very jackassy. Guys who try to project that hard about their alpha status always rub me the wrong way; whether they're athletes or businessmen or artists or whatever.

And I posit the following: who cares?

It's fun to watch Harper destroy baseballs and it's funny that you're making GBS threads on him for acting alpha male when he just got thrown at for doing his job over two years ago to prove some point (that if Strickland isn't good enough to get him out then he'll be a big whiny baby about it I guess)

Lots of guys get emotional. Papi destroyed a bullpen phone. Bo broke a bat over his knee

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"Why do people not like Harper" could probably be summed up as "He's amazing and doesn't play for my team"

Kind of like how I don't like that rear end in a top hat Trout :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bewbies posted:

I have a very narrow view of what is acceptable for a professional athlete to do or not do and god help if you put on an excessive amount of eye black

You don't wanna be a Greg Hardy or something. Checks out

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Brett Lawrie threw a helmet :classiclol:

Julian Tavarez broke his hand

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

NiceGuy posted:

I'm not going to post all the 'Bryce had it coming' tweets from across the MLB after Papelbon choked him out but hoo boy were there alot of them, so saying it's just analysts and writers is bullshit

lol

Timby posted:

Andre Dawson got ejected from a game against the ... Reds, I think (I was there, all of seven years old at the time), and because he got so pissed at the umpire he hurled like seventeen or eighteen bats onto the field before hitting the showers. :v:

Oh, hey, it was Cowboy Joe who tossed him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzmSdOIy-lg

I love everything about this

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

NiceGuy posted:

Hmm yes quite the refutation, but have you considered :fuckoff:

Red Sox fan defends Papelbon for choking Harper, his evidence is a bunch of tweets

again, lol

e: And in a conversation in which Papelbon and Harper are discussed, Harper is somehow the known shithead. That makes it all the more hilarious

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'll politely decline, thanks

If you can't handle someone laughing at your opinion that some people on twitter don't like Bryce or that some players believe in this dumb code of honor means he's a shithead then that's your business

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Explosionface posted:

I like Bryce

I'd like him even better in blue and orange :getin:

(not the Mets)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

NiceGuy posted:

My business is discussing baseball in the baseball thread and if you think 'lol' is a worthwhile post then that's your business, mr. former mod. Nevermind the fact that you completely misrepresented what I saying in some dumb attempt to score points or something. You don't have to gently caress off but you are kind of a douche.

Your post was literally "There were a lot of tweets saying he had it coming so there must be something to him being a shithead"

Nevermind that you can find tweets defending literally anything (I'd bet there are more tweets saying Hitler did nothing wrong that are entirely sincere than there are tweets defending Papelbon) and nevermind that there are tons of players who think it's legitimately correct to assault someone for "not playing the game the right way"

Also lol at the "mr former mod" thing if that lol isn't too offensive for you

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm glad good baseball man Buster Posey is beating back against the tide of Cubs Mediocrity.

I'm legit curious if any Astros are going to be a starter on the AL one tomorrow. Correa got off to such a slow start, Altuve took a step back, Springer isn't playing all that well, but having a good record is usually a nice little boost

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Just noticed Jason Heyward is a starter as of this moment

And Stanton sitting at 8th :pwn:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

Bryce Harper is awesome and fun, Hunter Strickland is a dumbass, and idiots on social media, etc, need to stop posting stupid poo poo like this about Buster cause it makes me mad:

https://twitter.com/BarstoolNate/status/869328301764079616

Barstool Sports though

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

Lmao at how insecure you must be to watch a professional athlete show too much emotion and think "Ergh that guy's acting too Alpha Male for me, I wish he'd tone it down".

There are literally always criticisms that people can and will make depending on whether or not they like the player. He's too alpha male. He's too passive. He needs to act like a professional. Ugh, he wants to be paid his worth for playing a GAME?! Look how easily he's separated from the scrum, what a wuss. Ah, what a thug trying to fight. etc etc

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Santheb posted:

I dont think they'll go after Posey. He didn't want anything to do with it. I really hope that both teams come to the realization that this was 100% Hunter Strickland being a gigantic baby and leave it at that.

The Giants should offer Strickland up as a sacrifice by putting him in to pinch hit

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If Posey gets hit there will be a large contingent of fans and players who look on and nod approvingly. They'll probably even demand his teammates turn their backs on him afterward because of how he stayed out of the brawl

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Nats get the benefit of playing in a garbage division (just like my favorite team!) and the Giants get the benefit of being just about eliminated from playoff contention by June so who cares

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Harper should have gotten no more than half of what Strickland did but it's not terrible I guess

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

shirts and skins posted:

In December. Sounds like it went about how you'd expect. https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/01/12/bryce-harper-lined-his-tuxedo-jacket-with-photos-of-his-bride-on-their-wedding-day/

N: If the Mariners win tomorrow they will be .500 for the month of May.

V: How is that even possible?

Yup Bryce sure is a bad guy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I love it when nobodies shine for a night and beat future HOFers. I remember once Steve Woodard absolutely dominated the Blue Jays during Clemens' career revival, in Woodard's ML debut, no less. 8IP, 1H, 1BB, 0 R, 12K. I watched that game with my dad (a Jays fan), and we both thought we were seeing the beginning of a very good or even great career.

And it's not like Clemens pitched poorly. 8IP, 1ER, 4H, 10K. Most days, that'd be good enough to win, easily. So even though Woodard's career didn't go great, he can tell his kids he beat a guy who won 354 games, 7 Cy Youngs and an MVP. He probably won't mention the accusations that Clemens was on the gas (although to some people, that'd make it more impressive, not less).

In 2006 Andy Pettitte pitched a complete game 1 run 4 hit 1 walk loss against the Cubs against Ryan O'Malley who was called up the day before and started two games total in his career in the midst of a run that came up just short for a wild card

The most frustrating game I've ever seen

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why bother with the trash talk when SI has already foreseen this year's champs?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I love the "it's always been this way" excuse for why something shouldn't be punished

Also just noticed the change to IcePhoenix's av :stare: :laugh:

e: and lol if you think the Giants are going to miss Strickland for six games anywhere near as much as the Nats will miss Harper for four

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

He asked why everyone wanted the pitcher to be suspended longer and I used a workplace metaphor that spiraled out of control because even though I stated "you can't involve police" he still fell back on "well no becuz it's illegal!" and "it's always been this way! :downs:"

vvv It's been that way since like a week after the injury :haw: vvv

With the steak edit? How did I miss that?

RCarr posted:

I didn't realize he was a starting pitcher (probably because he's not), so I wasn't sure why everyone was calling for a punishment that is above and beyond what is generally handed out for this type of incident. Also, once it was stated that the intentional HBP was not provoked, and was just out of pride/spite, I pretty much agreed instantly.

Like, if you feel that the system is wrong, I get it, but that doesn't mean I should agree that this one pitcher should suddenly have the book thrown at him for every single injustice by a pitcher in MLB history.

He's not a starting pitcher, he's a relief pitcher, but even then he's not going to pitch every game. And six games is having the book thrown at you for every injustice by a pitcher in history now?

He threw a 98 mph fastball at the best player in the NL for having the audacity to hit two homeruns off him three years ago, boo loving hoo he's suspended six games

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RCarr posted:

Having a teammate thrown at, or injured on a reckless play, showboating, talking poo poo, being an rear end in a top hat, etc. Haven't we all watched the same sport all our life?

Intruder posted:

He threw a 98 mph fastball at the best player in the NL for having the audacity to hit two homeruns off him three years ago, boo loving hoo he's suspended six games

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'd say a 6 game suspension for intentionally throwing at someone and 20 games for throwing at someone with intent to injure. Honestly, I feel like that second one needs to be longer, but I just don't see it getting longer. I think that's honestly enough to make people not intentionally try to hit a batter.

You'd have to get to the point where you're issuing suspensions at all for intentional beanings rather than issuing a warning to both dugouts. Strickland would have gotten no punishment if not for the fight

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RCarr posted:

I can't even follow your thought process now. 6 games is the suspension he got. You are asking for a longer one. The longer suspension would be throwing the book at him, not the suspension which is the norm.

I'd love for you to find the post where I asked for a longer suspension or said they should throw the book at him. Hell, I'm glad and suprised he got suspended at all

And "this is how it's always been" is still a lovely excuse for allowing beanballs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RCarr posted:

The answer is obvious. Harper is the one who escalated a common occurrence, into a fistfight, though. I'm not enough of a regular of baseball threads to know if this is something you guys bring up every time someone is thrown at, or if you're taking exception because it's Bryce Harper.

If you're going to argue "common occurrence" for beanballs then you can't hold charging the mound to a different standard as it too happens fairly (if less) frequently

bewbies posted:

I think his point was that it is really, really hard to determine which is which. Hockey and football both go through this on a weekly basis where the incident gets the Zapruder treatment and fans/sports shouting shows/league officials all try and divine what was in the assailant's head moments before the incident. Believe it or not fans of the respective teams believe either that "it was clearly accidental" or "he was clearly headhunting" depending on team affiliation, then the league hands down a punishment somewhere in the middle.

And then you get a large number of people who say "That's football, stop pussifying the game"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RCarr posted:

I guess I lumped you in to the other people who were in the discussion, so you're right. As to the "it's how it's always been" excuse, yea, but it's on MLB to address that, and until they do there's no use in complaining.

Which they appear to be trying, in their halfassed way, to do with this incident! They recognize that Strickland was a giant shitbag and it resulted in Harper escalating it, but the whole thing would never have happened without the beanball to begin with so both men got suspensions.

And even among general baseball culture and acceptable beanballs to send a message, most players I've seen have said you toss it at mid 80s into the batter's hip, not scorch a 98 mpher (granted they were reacting to balls thrown at the head)

quote:

A beanball is a pitch intentionally thrown at a batter's head, though. This was not a beanball. I'm honestly all for harsh and severe punishment for throwing at someone's head. That is just amazingly reckless/dangerous/malicious.

Now you're just getting into semantics

Intruder fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 31, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RCarr posted:

I don't disagree the suspension could be a few more games, but I don't see it as some unbelievable malicious act. That's all. He wasn't trying to injure the guy.

Changing the culture has to start somewhere. That's why you don't have 80's style fights in the NBA anymore, they forced a culture change

IcePhoenix posted:

The funny thing is that if he had just plunked him in the hip with a low/mid 80s fastball instead of rearing back and throwing it as hard as he can this whole situation would be different.

Though it would still be idiotic that he held onto a three year grudge against a guy for doing his job

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Look at Strickland making the newbie mistake of closing his eyes while throwing a punch

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bartolo's mission was the play until Turner Field bit the dust, then dance on its grave by being poo poo for the team that occupied it

Mission accomplished

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

If he doesn't reach 700 I will be disappointed. ~should~ only need about 20 a year here on out. Also, Pujols is back, he's mashing in his last 40 PA's :D

He could possibly end his career with 700 2B's, 700 HR's, 2000 RBI, and 3000 Hits if the Angels give him the playing time he needs and he doesn't get hurt again.

He's 37, hitting 100 more HR isn't exactly a gimme

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

Lol that the Astros aren't going to get a single starter via voting despite being the best team in baseball.

No one really deserves it though tbh

Correa's slow start hurt him a lot

I guess Altuve you can argue

e: *checks stats* ok Altuve definitely deserves it over Castro

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I would have said maybe Devenski before his recent implosion, but you pretty much have to be a closer to make it as a reliever

How's the view from 4 games back, Dodgers? :grin:

e: Oh and I wonder if Marwin will get any love when they fill out the bench

.304/.397/.624 :cmon:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 31, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Everyone would pick Mike "3 HR/9" Fiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003