Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lots of WS teams have had 9 game losing streaks early in the year right

Also I asked this in the previous thread that was closed for no reason pls answer:

So seeing all of these exit velocity charts based on baseballs hit by very large very strong young men....

...How in the hell did Mickey Mantle/Babe Ruth hit ~600 foot HRs? Or is that apocryphal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Royals all star ballot jacking from a couple years ago is about to get dwarfed by Cubz Fanz

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

I like the part in Fastball where a physicist explains why it's impossible for a fastball to actually rise and the perception comes from a disconnect between the balls actual speed and what the brain expects it to be, then it cuts back to Bryce Harper who goes "nah man it rises, I dun see it. Maybe those eggheads should step in a batter's box."

Was it Hank Aaron who was like "you tell me bob gibson's fastball didn't rise you pussy academic" although he was more eloquent than that

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Just do what European soccer and does and play some games in an empty stadium

yeah

this poo poo is bad but it's absolutely puny compared to some of the stuff that goes on in a handful of soccer stadiums. Italy is supposedly the worst and it is absolutely Medieval

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
On August 26, 1991, the Royals played the White Sox. I had won some sort of stupid writing contest and so got to go into the Royals clubhouse to meet some of the players. I got to meet George Brett and Danny Tartabull which was badass and I clearly remember, but my favorite player on that team, for whatever reason, was Mark Gubicza. I do not remember this, but my dad was very fond of retelling it: I saw Gubicza off at his locker and decided to go say hello. In order to get there, I had to walk by Bret Saberhagen's locker. Apparently Saberhagen stood up and said something like "hey buddy!" or something else totally awesome and friendly. I completely ignored him in order to try and talk to Gubicza (WHICH I DID AND HE WAS SUPER COOL AND I GOT A PICTURE WITH HIM).

Saberhagen pitched a no hitter that night and I like to think he was motivated in part by an elementary school kid snubbing him in his own goddamn clubhouse.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 4, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's actually a pretty great photographer: http://rj51photos.com/

Also his logo is a dead bird, which is unequivocally the coolest thing in the world

This is pretty fantastic...he's...really good. Also the "about me" thing is great:

quote:

While attending USC in Los Angeles for three years ’83-’85 on a baseball scholarship,I majored in photojournalism.At that time,I got hands-on experience in the art and craft of photography,shooting for the “Daily Trojan”,our college newspaper,and a small rock n’ roll magazine in Los Angeles. While baseball became my occupation for over two decades, photography remained my great passion.

Beginning with my first summer vacation in 26 years in 2010,I shot motorsports,concerts,people & places. I’ve been privileged to take seven USO tours to visit our men and women who serve our Country. Iraq, Kuwait, Okinawa, Cuba, South Korea, Italy, Afghanistan, Africa and Germany (God Bless Our Troops!). I’ve also been a contributing photographer for major media outlets with many photos featured in Stars And Strips Magazine, Rolling Stone Magazine, Spin Magazine, Metal Hammer Magazine, Score Baseball Card Company, AOL Online. Also have been on the road with several friends working to capture moments on stage to have them used in Tour Programs, Posters, T-shirts, Books, CD booklets and band Web-Sites.

As much as I enjoyed the thrill of pitching a perfect game and winning a World Series, I get similar satisfaction from using my photography skills to try and capture that defining moment in time.

The ride has been great,but is far from done. I look forward to seeing places I’ve never visited and shooting things I’ve never seen. Always shooting with my Good-Eye closed.

yeah yeah yeah baseball but on the other hand PHOTOGRAPHY

turns out his hall of fame career was just a distraction

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
ESPN runs a fat-guy-is-OBP-wizard-as-leadoff-hitter front page article the day after the Royals trot out Alcides Escobar as leadoff "hitter". Am unsure if this is ironic.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

hahaha I had no idea this was a thing, this is wonderful

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Derek Jeter was a really good baseball player for a long time, I'll see myself out.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also with all this Jeter business going reminded me that we should all demand an explanation why Allen Alan Trammell isn't in the HoF.

edit see I didn't even get his goddamn name right

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

and nondescript Mike Trout is set to surpass his career WAR by his age 28 season :v:

this is not intended to be a criticism of Jeter, just an eyepopping number from Trout

This is also a good criticism of MLB and how they're wasting marketing resources on a great but not all-time great guy who retired last year instead of focusing on promoting an all-time great who is not yet even in his prime years.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Imagine how much better those Yankees would have been with Major League Leadoff Hitter Alcides Escobar at SS.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

And the Yankees organization in general, yes. My point is that Jeter's HoF case is based on his counting numbers, and the Yankees helped boost those numbers by not benching/cutting him when he was not a very good player any more, and that a non-Yankee Jeter has a much tougher argument for HoF consideration.

Goddamn dude he'd have been an easy hall of famer if he'd played in San Diego and retired in 2010

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Scott Rolen is one of those guys that was introduced as "future hall of famer" for like the last 5 years of his career but then when it comes time to vote for him a bunch of senile old dudes won't remember who exactly he was, exactly.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, and Willie Mays all admitted to cheating over the course of their careers through gratuitous use of amphetamines. Should they be removed from the hall?

I'm not actually participating in BondsHallDopeChat v13855 but this did make me curious: were amphetamines etc banned at that time?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there any modern baseball nerd analysis discussing just how good Ozzie Smith was defensively? I remember him always being described as "best defensive player ever" etc by announcers when I was a kid but I have no idea if that analysis would survive modern analytics in much the same way Dorak Jeater did not.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pancakes posted:

Just quickly, career defensive WAR:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_def_career.shtml

Ozzie was really drat good at defense.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He leads all MLB players in career defensive WAR with 43.4, he also had 47.8 Off. WAR so he was pretty drat great at his job

I know about his dWAR and etc....I was under the impression though that dWAR for past players was kinda iffy and thus curious if any further analysis had been done.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't really have any strong feelings either way on the steroid era or bonds in particular but it is really weird how so much of SASMLB seems to think that steroids do not enhance performance in baseball.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jummy posted:

My issue is that it's just impossible to quantify how they may help so there's no point in speculating.

I'm sure we all agree with this but I suspect, without having done any analysis of my own, that you can show at least a very strong correlation if not causation between power numbers and age during the roid era. Has anyone ever done a good analysis on this? Specifically maybe, something like comparing SLG, or better yet ISO, to age during the roid era? I would bet pretty strongly that ISO-by-age rose pretty sharply.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jummy posted:

I would also assume that is correct, but I don't know if you could just point to it being the steroid era. My assumption would also be that those numbers are still pretty consistent at this point even with the tighter testing and better methods of figuring out who's doing what. Mostly because of medical advances, better training/recovery techniques, and just knowing what it takes to build and maintain a body used for professional sports.

It actually doesn't appear that the older power hitter trend has kept up: from 1945 to present, the average age of the top 30 guys in ISO was 27. During the height of the steroid era, the average age was almost 30. It has since returned to 27 (I looked at the last 3 full seasons).

Part of that has to do with the great crop of young power hitters in the league right now but aside from David Ortiz/Nelson Cruz/Jose Bautista the "old guy with ISO north of .250" thing has pretty much disappeared.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

patonthebach posted:

I think the problem is the public perception is that steroids alone turn a joe regular minor league player into Mark McGuire, and its simply not true. He might hit an extra 5 or 10 home runs that season thanks to the roids, maybe even 20. But roids alone didnt turn him into a home run beast.

I think I'd characterize it as it let a generation of giant sluggers stay healthy like no previous generation had, so these giant strong guys who are normally pretty injury prone and who tend to flame out in their mid 30s got 5 or 6 extra prime years. In Bonds/McGwires cases they also developed a lot as hitters as they got older, but without the PEDs helping to keep them healthy their bodies might not have kept up with the killer eye. I realize this is a fairly subtle distinction and I would get chased off the stage on any Sports Shouting show.

In any case every time this conversation comes up I think about how much pressure there would've been on everyone in the game to dope...I get pissy when a guy buys a new hockey stick and his shot looks good, or when I lose a sports video game to someone who had a better team than me. I can't imagine what it would've been like to know that liberal PED usage might be the difference between AAA and a regular major league spot, or a 1 year contract vs 4 years, or league minimum salary vs millions. That's probably the thing about the PED witch hunt that bothers me the most - most of us in that spot would've done the same thing.

bawfuls posted:

I don't know if anyone cares (you don't) but bewbies and I made an avatar bet this spring and the progress so far is.... not what you'd expect!

The bet is Danny Duffy vs Julio Urias FIP this year. Royals posters made fun of bewbies for agreeing to this b/c Duffy's ERA has consistently outperformed his FIP and Urias is a high strikeout guy who we should expect to do well by FIP. So how's that going thus far?

Danny Duffy - 3.38 ERA - 3.34 FIP
Julio Urias - 3.43 ERA - 4.31 FIP (and a 4.71 K/9 lol)

Baseball!

I totally forgot about this but yeah Danny Duffy is continuing his Hall of Fame trajectory to no one's surprise.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 17, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've wondered this since I was like 7 and a big kid hit me with a pitch but I've never actually asked it: why don't baseballers wear hockey style pads on their lead arm and hand?

edit - other than Barry's performance enhancing armor of course

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I googled the arm pad thing and came across this gem

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/news/barry-bonds-hr-record-tainted-by-elbow-armor/

"This is unfortunate, because by my estimate, Bonds? front arm ?armor? may have contributed no fewer than 75 to 100 home runs to his already steroid-questionable total.
Bonds tied Henry Aaron?s home run record of 755 on Saturday night and will go for the new standard this week back at home in San Francisco. "

"2) The apparatus locks at the elbow when the lead arm is fully elongated because of a small flap at the top of the bottom section that fits into a groove in the bottom of the top section. The locked arm forms a rigid front arm fulcrum that allows extraordinary, maximally efficient explosion of the levers of Bonds’ wrists. Bonds hands are quicker than those of average hitters because of his mechanical “assistant.”"

"4) Bonds has performed less well in Home Run Derbies than one might expect because he has no excuse to wear a “protector” facing a batting practice pitcher. As he tires, his front arm elbow tends to lift and he swings under the ball, producing towering pop flies or topspin liners that stay in the park. When the apparatus is worn, its weight keeps his elbow down and he drives the ball with backspin."

welp question answered

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the locker rooms etc that Pillar grew up in you heard gay slurs constantly. That sort of thing takes a long, long time to work itself out of your vernacular, especially when you're emotional about something. That doesn't make it ok, but it also doesn't mean that Pillar is MLB's Fred Phelps.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

Is anyone calling him MLB's Fred Phelps though? I like Pillar, but he hosed up badly here and needs to be held accountable.

People are wanting him kicked of the team it seems though I'm not sure how exactly that aligns with my chosen analogy.

Point being, I seriously doubt Pillar even associates whatever gay slur he used with actual gay people, much as I didn't for most of my life. It was just...something you said casually, or when you were pissed, or drunk, or in locker rooms or barracks or wherever else young men congregate. That certainly doesn't make it ok, and he and everyone else in MLB and pro sports and society in general should be clearly shown why this isn't ok, but I feel like some over the top punishment intended to make an example of him is not only unwarranted but also probably works against LGBT equality long term.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

That does not seem like he gets it at all.

I'm genuinely curious what it is you think was inadequate/inappropriate or whatever in that statement.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Because he's making excuses about how it's heat of the moment and not who he is. He doesn't acknowledge why it's offensive or even what he said. He's not owning it and explicitly says that it should be moved on from as though he's already learned his lesson.

He says 1) he's going to apologize to Motte, 2) notes that it reflects very poorly on him and his team, and 3) says he only said it because he was upset/fired up/whatever, which is almost certainly true...he doesn't at any point say it excuses the behavior, just that that's why it happened. I certainly think that's adequate for an impromptu post-game interview statement. I'm also willing to bet that he'll present a more thorough prepared statement later.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
If baseball didn't have unwritten rules then no one would go off because of inane poo poo and have massive drama ensue and then I would be less entertained.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Today I learned only one person has ever hit 50 doubles and 50 homers in a season and that person was Albert Belle.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

This is like when you're farting around in practice and spinning the ball as hard as you possibly can and everything is either winding up in the dirt or over the catcher's head and then all of a sudden you throw THAT ONE GREAT PITCH and are like where the hell did that come from

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I liked this article about Walking Mike Trout.

It reminded me of some thing I think I saw on here where if you had Ruth/Bonds/Williams/whoever in a lineup of replacement players if it'd make sense to walk them every time.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
why in the hell are some of you even acting like batter pitcher drama that results in fistfighting isn't one of the best things in baseball?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Why am I supposed to dislike Bryce Harper again?

because he's better looking and more talented than me

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a very narrow view of what is acceptable for a professional athlete to do or not do and god help if you put on an excessive amount of eye black

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm glad good baseball man Buster Posey is beating back against the tide of Cubs Mediocrity.

Cubs fans should be embarrassed to even compare this effort to Royals ASG ballot stuffing

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Are these girls like 14 or am I just getting goddamn old?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

As someone who doesn't know the backstory of the brawl, why does everyone think the pitcher should have a lengthier suspension than Harper? He threw at him, which happens all the time. He didn't throw for the head or anything. Then Harper goes on the attack. What am I missing?

Harper hammered Strickland pretty bad many years ago, and apparently Strickland...was unable to let this go, because he's an imbecile. So, he deliberately throws as hard as he can at Harper and fortunately doesn't hit a head or face or hand or forearm. Harper, being excessively Alpha, got mad, and rightly so. This is exactly the kind of thing that charging the mound is meant for and if anything Harper should have gotten a bonus payment or new Camaro from the league or something.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Comparisons between pro sports and your average workaday office are almost always bad (see: Pillar, Kevin).

Broadly speaking I'm a fan of the internal enforcement mechanisms in sports. 1) they're entertaining, and 2) they actually do serve a purpose both in competition, and as a safety valve. My only real complaint about this Strickland thing is that he didn't get his rear end kicked more thoroughly.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

If I whipped a baseball at you when you were walking down the street at 98 MPH and nailed you in the hip would you just be "well it's always been this way so I'l let him go" or would you call the cops on me.

Being hit by a pitch is very clearly an assumed risk when playing baseball, it is not when walking down the sidewalk. This is like in hockey threads when people want players prosecuted for nasty hits - it doesn't work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Getting hit by a car when walking down the street is an assumed risk as well but that doesn't make it not a crime if someone does it intentionally.

That is a completely different legal principle. Unless a pitcher does something like deliberately throwing a ball at a guys face, and you can prove they did so, getting hit by a pitch is and will always be an assumed risk in a baseball game and trying to argue it should be prosecuted is idiotic.

• Locked thread