Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NiceGuy posted:

I was under the impression that Latroy was a Solid Dude™ so that's disappointing.

I'm pretty sure I've only heard good things, too.

Actually on The Fantasy And The Bust the other day they were telling a story about him in the booth saying somebody was "the worst teammate I ever had", and the other guys assumed he was joking and tried to laugh it off, but Latroy was like "No, I'm dead serious, he's the worst." which is actually hilarious.

Also my usual way of de-escalating baseball arguments is to just ask the other person "Hey, at least we can both agree that Boston sucks, right?" which I don't think will work here :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Likewise, I am pleased that Corey Seager is just barely holding off Addison "74 wRC+" Russell

MIF vote totals are completely insane, but at least the right people are still at #1 (I guess you could argue the corners, but the Cubs are definitely in the mix there.)

The Cub OF leaders are completely insane and indefensible though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NiceGuy posted:

Is there anything stopping someone from just wearing straight-up face paint? Maybe when he's on the Yankees he can rock the Crow/Sting look. Now that I could really get behind.

"Ok fine I'll shave. Unrelated: do you guys have a face paint policy?"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Anthony Rizzo currently has a 119 wRC+ on the year so yeah I'd say he shouldn't be "in the mix"

Freeman, Zimmerman, Goldshmidt and Votto should all be leagues ahead of him but ASG voting is impressively dumb so here we are.

I would imagine Freeman's injury is really torpedoing his vote totals right now. Will he even be playing in time for the ASG?

It is completely ridiculous that Thames is there and Votto isn't, though. Why the hell do Reds fans not appreciate him?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

Rizzo is literally 10th in the NL in wRC+... Jesus Christ, I didn't realize it was that bad

Freeman
Zimmerman
Goldschmidt
Thames
Votto
Bour
Reynolds
Belt
Carpenter
Rizzo

I actually didn't realize he was doing nearly that badly either, drat.

It's me, I am the problem.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

imo the Nats should plunk Shark for tackling his own teammate.

Wouldn't it be more fitting if the Giants somehow plunked him?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Goodpancakes posted:

Cubs won't make the post season but the twins will lol

At which point the Yankees will grind them into a fine paste, as it always has been and always will be, especially in the post-season.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RCarr posted:

That's not a fair comparison, because one is illegal, and the other happens hundreds of times during the course of a season. I figured there was something that had set Strickland off, but if it was just the fact that Strickland's pride was hurt by not pitching well years ago, yea that's a bitch move. Understood.

We're again back to the main point which is that pitchers shouldn't allowed to intentionally hit batters and just walk away from it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RCarr posted:

I totally agree, but it's something that has been accepted for over 100 years, so it's not going to be easy to change the culture.

Longer pitcher suspensions are a good start!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Are you seriously advocating that criminal charges be pressed when a HBP is deemed intentional?

What the hell is the point of this metaphor?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RCarr posted:

Also, once it was stated that the intentional HBP was not provoked, and was just out of pride/spite, I pretty much agreed instantly.

Like, if you feel that the system is wrong, I get it, but that doesn't mean I should agree that this one pitcher should suddenly have the book thrown at him for every single injustice by a pitcher in MLB history.

What is the type of thing that would provoke an HBP?

Also somebody is going to have to be the first person who gets a proper punishment for doing it. "I didn't know I couldn't do that" is a really lovely defense when you uh, do know you aren't supposed to do that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RCarr posted:

Having a teammate thrown at, or injured on a reckless play, showboating, talking poo poo, being an rear end in a top hat, etc. Haven't we all watched the same sport all our life?

None of these are valid reasons! That's the point!

Grittybeard posted:

To be fair if they're ever going to do it they should probably announce it in the offseason and make it a point of emphasis to get the word out to everyone. Give the Tony La Russa's of the world time to digest the idea that it's not actually a good thing to do.

Yeah, that's fine, but I'm also not gonna shed any tears if they make an impromptu decision about it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Joey Freshwater posted:

Dickey and Bartolo are probably toast, huh?

Bartolo can never be bad, even if he's bad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The AL is better than the NL, and also their ASG voting, too.

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/869945089648455680

Go Judge, go! :toot:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

It's a lot more reasonable than the NL, though Castro definitely shouldn't be starting over Altuve.

I don't see him holding onto that lead, I'm actually kind of shocked he's in the top 3, to be honest.

I mean, he's playing amazingly and deserves to be there, but I figured it would be Altuve/Cano/Pedroia.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

Same as it's always been unless you're a team from Chicago, LA, or New York.

Francisco Lindor is leading SS by over 300k votes.

Which is still ridiculous, but that's not exactly a coastal city team.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Do the Jays still have playoff hopes?

They've been on a tear lately, but they're still in 5th place and 6.5 back in the East.

I'm not willing to count them out until at least midsummer though, because the AL East looks like it's might be a knife fight again.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

Everyone should make sure to vote for Sano so there's no reason for MLB to avoid the Sano/Judge/Stanton HRD showdown

I voted Sano even though I was tempted to write-in Torreyes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

New Concept Hole posted:

There should be a vote for who pitches the HRD

Also the results count against their stats for the season.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cis autodrag posted:

so if I buy MLB.tv, can I start a game that was already in progress from the beginning and skip around in it and stuff?

The first part, yes. The second part, technically yes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zigmidge posted:

Technically? Is there some other secret limitation about mlb.tv my privileged canadian rear end isn't aware of?

"Technically" because the DVR features sometimes just don't seem to work.

bawfuls posted:

~Happier Days~

Now he only deals in the other types of dong shots. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-k0bveAJkE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ColdBlooded posted:

He's currently hitting .166/.297/.437 and while it's probably pretty unlikely he hits 40 HRs, he's seemed to have picked up where he left off from his play in the 2nd half of last season.

He has a 100 wRC+ as of tonight. So if you wanted to know how many homers you have to hit to still be useful with a .166 avg, there you go.

• Locked thread