Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

freddie freman seems like a huge baby but also braun is a huge baby for throwing his shinguard at the umpire. miller park owns.

How is Freddie a huge baby?

Poque posted:

The last Brewers series vs the Braves was great, because Ryan Braun got injured and Freddie Freeman dropped a bomb on Miller Park.

Also don't forget Matt Kemp's 3 dinger day - I was at that game on Saturday and it was awesome. Drove up from Chicago just to see the Braves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

"I mean, I've had maybe one or two good series here out of six," he said. "But I can hardly see the ball. I think it was a ball in the first (inning), double play, and I almost missed it because I couldn't see the ball until it got on me. It's just dark. … And they shot off those fireworks (before the Brewers' first inning) and the fog just got trapped in there, it was hard to see. I even asked all their guys, I said I don't know how you guys play in here. I would not be good here.

“I'm just glad it's three games and out. I don't see the ball well, at all. I don't understand that (lighting problem). Arizona's (lighting in retractable dome) is great. I feel like Little League fields are lit better than this. Obviously they have no problem (Freeman laughed) because their guys are hitting. I guess you get used to it. Our lights at SunTrust (Park) are awesome. Turner Field was a little dark."

hoo boy yeah look at all that whining and bitching

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dansby got all 5 of my votes today because I feel bad that I put him in the position to not hit well.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nah the cool part was the hissy fit he threw

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Reminder for the new thread that Pancakes, Inspector_666, and myself will be meeting up in Wicker Park, Chicago, this Saturday (May 6) for lunch. If you're interested in joining us, shoot me a PM.

Bonus points if you can also come up with a good joke that begins with "a Cubs fan, a Cardinals fan, and a Yankees fan walk into a bar". :v:

drat I would have come if I wasn't going to be out of town (again). Y'all need to check out Tapster, went there last week and its pretty sweet.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They should be fined imo

There's no way the stadium or team would realistically be able to enforce it except to ban them from the stadium until it's paid - then you have people bitching about free speech without actually understanding what it is.

I instead submit that they should have their pictures taken and posters be hung with their pictures and "I'm a stupid dumb racist" printed on them.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

I've never seen a balk live that I can remember. Odd/cool/bad things I've seen live: Catcher's interference, Yadier Molina triple, Beltran's 1,000th career XBH, Estrada taking a no-no into the 8th, go-ahead pinch hit RBI double by Wainwright in extras, Wainwright blowing out his Achilles.

I've seen a couple balks but the game I'll always remember was Randy Johnson's perfect game in Atlanta. It was a Sunday night game and it was beautiful outside. Randy is down there pitching a perfect game and it got to the 7th-8th inning and you could see people heading for the exits. I was so loving mad - it was Randy Johnson for one, two it was only a 2-0 game at that point and three it was a perfect loving game!

The people that stayed did give him a standing ovation though, which was cool

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Intentional Talk just asked Freddie Freeman if he'd rather go back to his old teeth (he recently got veneers) or play at Miller Park full time.

He picked his old teeth

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We've also played less than 20% of the season so maybe not time to freak out just yet.

(says the Braves fan)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress Kent Hrbek

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All this Jeter talk and WAR made me wonder what Chipper's was, since he also spent his entire career with one team (and I'm a dirty homer). Turns out Chipper is 6th all time among third basemen and the only three guys in the top ten NOT in the HOF are Chipper, Adrian Beltre and Scott Rolen, who weren't/aren't eligible for the HOF yet. Chipper and Rolen are eligible this year.

Chipper is first ballot and anyone who says differently should shove themselves in a locker.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think unanimous voting will happen a lot more now that the votes will be public. When Griffey was inducted there were three voters that didn't vote for him, but no one ever admitted who it was.

e: that's not to say that Chipper will be unanimous, just a general statement. I think he gets the 75% easy though.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I don't know anything about Motte so I googled to see if he was actually gay or not and he's apparently married to a nice lady that helps him with cancer charities for kids.

In a surprise to no one, I did find some other boards talking about this and a lot of people brushing it off as locker room talk and not seeing what the big deal was. "Those guys teammates probably call each other fags all the time, it doesn't mean anything. You probably only cross the line if you use the n-word"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

To my knowledge there are no active openly gay players at the Major League level. I was going to talk about David Denson being the only active openly gay player in an organization, but he retired during spring training. :shrug:

I am absolutely sure that there are gay dudes that play baseball, just like there are ones that play NFL. They just know what would happen if they were to come out and it's probably not worth it for them and it's sad as hell. Look what happened with Michael Sam in the NFL - there was SO much attention thrown his way. Granted, he turned out to be not very good but everyone was so focused on him being gay that it had to mess with him a little bit.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Michael Sam was a fringe NFL prospect at best and all the attention he got from coming out is probably the reason he got drafted at all so I think it worked out pretty well for him.

Yeah I'm sure all the negative attention he got was just washed away by the money he made, you're right.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So apparently Facebook will now livestream one MLB games every Friday with no blackout rules starting today:

http://ble.ac/2pXWMib

Rockies Reds is today's game

Phone postin' or I'd copy the article.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

Super duper Yankees fan Barstool Sports guy got into the game with a media pass to do some food review article or something. Ran down Tampa fans on twitter like a dingus. TB's account trolls the poo poo out of him afterwards.

I still don't get it. He made the trailer comment about twitter fans so they offered him passes to come back in?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. I don't use the twitter

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is the most handsome player on your team?

Oh that's easy :allears:

Runner up being Matt Kemp

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Other baseball books that always come up in these discussions include:

Baseball Between the Numbers
Moneyball
(both a little outdated but worth reading if you haven't yet)

Ball Four
A Well-Paid Slave
The Soul of Baseball: A Road Trip Through Buck O’Neil’s America

Recently read Ankiel's book The Phenomenon and it was really good. Pretty heartbreaking in parts but a really good read.

I'd be all for a new baseball/sports book thread.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Waffles Inc. posted:

I doubt he ever plays a meaningful game again. Huge huge bummer

Also a bummer that we owe him several million still

Just a reminder that July 1st is Bobby Bonilla day!

e: to bring this full circle, because of the Bonilla deferment, the Mets were able to get Mike Hampton for one year before he went to the Rockies. The Mets got the 38th pick in that draft who they used to draft....

David Wright! :v:

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 21, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

:allears:

I'm happy he's pulling it together

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Berzerker posted:

Instead of this "who is the handsomest" business, it would be fun to see a photo of the ugliest person from each team.

I'll start: Roberto Osuna.

Matt Wisler

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone remember that site that had weekly or maybe daily updates of goings on in baseball but they were set to what were basically chat rooms or text chains?

I remember them being hilarious

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

God drat

Thanks

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't see this being talked about but the Atlanta bullpen has gone 54 consecutive batters without a hit.

That's the equivalent of 18 innings. It also sets a franchise record.

Complete turnaround from what they were doing at the beginning of the year and a large reason why they're 7-3 over the last 10 games.

yes i know the starting rotation is terrible shut up

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 23, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BasicFunk posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Ian Krol hasn't pitched much during that span...

Yeah he's pitched maybe 4-5 innings in that span. His ERA has dropped from 7.9 to 6.8 since then. Progress!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Harvey was adequate overall, but Conforto was the star if the show and if you haven't written him into your All-Star ballot, then we can't be friends.

Someone on the Effectively Wild forum suggested the Gwinnett Buttons, and I kind of love it.

edit: oh my god how many times am I going to snipe this loving thread

Gwinnett Buttons was Chip Carays idea. He threw it out there when they announced it on TV.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Oh, I didn't know. I'd vote for that, or Gwinnett Barves.

I like Buttons but I still don't know why they wouldn't just keep it as Braves.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

MLB wants the minor league affiliates to change their names if they're sharing one with the big league club, I would imagine it's especially acute if they're also geographically nearby. The Staten Island Yankees tried to change their name last year but the winning pick was Pizza Rats and I guess they got cold feet.

Haha Pizza Rats would have been awesome.

Best minor league affiliate is Montgomery Biscuits. It's my favorite hat

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Who's everybody's bad team token for the ASG? With the Braves, Freddie's hurt, Julio kinda sucks. Ender? Don't laugh -- Tyler Flowers?

Matt Kemp? If not him probably Ender.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hate Bryce Harper because he plays for a team my team plays a lot and he's good against my team. Everything he does is amplified tenfold and makes me think he's a bigger rear end in a top hat than he really is.

If he were on my team I'd love the poo poo out of him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dickey and Bartolo are probably toast, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah sure like we needed his help

• Locked thread