Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Tony Phillips posted:

Happy Dock Ellis tries to hit all the Reds day!

Reminder: "No No: A Dockumentary" is on Netflix. If you've never seen it, you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCH4fAHtKBo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't want a single Blue Jay at the ASG this year. Goddamn team is fragile enough. Also last year Michael Saunders came back... broken.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Poque posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

my next goal is to go to a game where the Cubs don't allow a first inning run but that could take years

Blue Jays will be in town August 18-20.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

what happens if a player is ejected after he hits a home run, but before he reaches home?

Rule 9.01(d)

quote:

Each umpire has authority to disqualify any player, coach, manager or substitute for objecting to decisions or for unsportsmanlike conduct or language, and to eject such disqualified person from the playing field. If an umpire disqualifies a player while a play is in progress, the disqualification shall not take effect until no further action is possible in that play.

The run scores. The ejection takes effect as soon as his foot hits home plate.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Tebow made almost $10 million, if he can't retire on that I have no sympathy

He can probably make near that amount annually doing speaking engagements in the Bible Belt and slapping his name on ghost-written books about his life struggle as a white Christian millionaire. He is not doing baseball for the money, at least not directly.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

canadianclassic posted:

Yeah that was rough for the Mariners. I was starting to think they might get exciting especially when everyone gets healthy but getting swept by a really lovely version of the Jays is disheartening.

I was pulling for the M's in that series since the Jays already seemed like a lost cause and the Mariners were at 500 but there they go making GBS threads it up again :shrug: Neither team is gonna end up contending at this rate.

If Cano had been able to play that would have been a completely different series.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

tadashi posted:

Also, ICYMI, Brycer Harper is breaking baseball. We're half way through May and this is his slash line: .384/.500/.752 good for a .512 wOBA.

I'm delighted to see him making baseball fun again but what was up with him last year? Was he playing through some injury that he didn't bother to tell anyone about?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Won't Goins be staying at 2B anyways?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I love DarBar as much as any SASer but yeah, he's going back to the bench where he belongs.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gobias Ind. posted:

This team is not playing for anything this year..

The Jays aren't completely out of contention if Donaldson comes back healthy and doesn't get sold off.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

Pretty sure Edgar was the first full time DH, yeah.

Or Hal McRae.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Errors are a dumb stat in general because they're 100% subjective.

Not just subjective, they're a moral judgement of the player by the scorer. They should have been dumped decades ago except that Baseball Tradition is the most powerful force in the universe, plus sports fans love nothing more than passing moral judgement on athletes (ex. the last three pages of this thread).

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Some of you might be thinking, but where will Ryan Goins play, My hope is Buffalo.

Why? He's an above-average utility infielder, he's more than earned a place on the bench with Barney.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Abel Wingnut posted:

what's the timeline for that injury?

If it needs surgery, three months minimum.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

will_colorado posted:

its the same thing that happened to Trevor Story last year at the end of July and he missed the entire rest of the year and couldn't really swing a bat until November.

"6-8 weeks" is crazy over-optimistic for a torn thumb ligament that requires surgery. Mets staff crazy.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. I just noticed this today: the reason Dioner Navarro hasn't been around anywhere this year is because his wife, who was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm last season, had a massive stroke in December that nearly killed her. As it was she was in a coma for three months and has only recently returned home. Poor guy. He says he's not ready to retire, though, so hopefully he'll be back in MLB at some point.

https://jaysjournal.com/2017/05/22/blue-jays-dioner-navarro-takes-time-off-after-almost-losing-his-wife/

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

As someone who doesn't know the backstory of the brawl, why does everyone think the pitcher should have a lengthier suspension than Harper? He threw at him, which happens all the time. He didn't throw for the head or anything. Then Harper goes on the attack. What am I missing?

Starting pitchers usually only play every five games. If a starting pitcher gets a 4-game suspension he doesn't actually miss any game time.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

The AL is better than the NL, and also their ASG voting, too.

I'm not voting for the ASG this year and I hope no Blue Jays go. I'd much rather they get a break than risk being injured or getting the ASG yips and coming back broken like Michael Saunders last year.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Do the Jays still have playoff hopes?

They're not mathematically eliminated!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't really miss that Cubshine and Lollipops video.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wait, how did I miss this?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Blue Jays are the first AL team to reach 1,000,000 home attendance in 2017. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

That's, uh, surprising. You would have expected the Cubs

Cubs have a higher average attendance than the Jays, they're just one home game behind.

Dodgers, Cardinals and Giants already well over a million each.

• Locked thread