Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/859245651296632832

V: I'm still mad at him, but only because I love and miss him :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Intruder posted:

When you stare into the void...

We have a nice shiny new 2017 GIF thread that you can post that to, just so you know :)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
No problem! I'm getting better at this shameless self-promotion thing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Drunk Canuck posted:

I agree with Manny Machado, please disband the Red Sox.

If the Red Sox are disbanded, where will all my hatred go? I mean, sure I can hate Atlanta and the Nats, but it's so much more satisfying to hate the Sox.

R.D. Mangles posted:

sale would have never thrown at machado if the red sox had a mature, veteran clubhouse presence like drake laroche

This will never not be hilarious.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

alpha_destroy posted:

my wife shut her eyes, slouches down and says "I just want to see someone get hit by the ball"

drat, your wife is ice cold.

I was at a game that was going fine and as soon as I got up to go to the bathroom, Travis d'Arnaud got injured.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
My worst baseball memory had little to do with the actual game. I was the only kid in 6th grade who signed their permission slip and coughed up the $1 for Kids Day at Shea Stadium, so I had to go to the game -- my first baseball game ever -- alone with my grumpy disinterested teacher. We sat there in silence for seven loooong innings before I asked if we could go, and the Mets ended up losing to the Cubs 8-4.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I was lollin' as I thought it was a troll post, because unlike bawfuls I have blocked out all memory of the late-00s Phillies.

I was on a mediocre date when the Phillies won the World Series. Everyone in the bar spilled out onto the street for drunken merriment, and I lost the guy in the ruckus.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

will_colorado posted:

probably :nws:

twitter.com/orangeNblueblog/status/860700406468530176

Between this and that "they call me daddy...they'll be punished later" interview, I have some...concerns, about the Mets clubhouse.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/860932257133080577

V: I'm going to actually die.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I hope he was just out partying and this isn't indicative of a more serious problem.

Julio Cruz posted:

If it is an alcohol problem I can't really blame him for keeping it hidden. The Post has always had its knives out for him, they'd love a chance to put "the Dark Knight Boozes" (or something equally unimaginative) across the back page.

I have always loved Matt Harvey and I've always defended him, and it irks the poo poo out of me how the media treats him.

Comptroll The Forums posted:

"Tragedy today as former Mets pitcher Jacob DeGrom was eaten by wolves. He was delicious."

There's no meat on his bones, I bet he'd be pretty unsatisfying to a pack of hungry wolves.

The Berzerker posted:

I feel like maybe more people need to love Joe Biagini like I do so please enjoy:

https://twitter.com/Wilnerness590/status/860604750840160256

https://twitter.com/Beezersun/status/861318031573647361

PS: He had his first career start today and went 4.0IP, 2H, 1R (but 0ER), 4K. 52 pitches, 37 Ks

:swoon:

I love Joe Biagini as much as an NL East homer possibly can. :unsmith:

Anyway, it turns out Kike Hernandez is a better twerker than Anthony Rizzo. Alert the villagers.

twitter.com/GustanDeportes/status/861082770650669056 (mildly :nws: )

edit: do tweets not embed if you quote them or something?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Reading through the Meet The Teams thread a month into the season is sobering, to say the least. :smithicide:

edit: While writing this post, I found out that Brandon Nimmo, Mets designated smiler, is now :siren: DOUBLE INJURED :siren:

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/861688654477094916

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 8, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I steadfastly refuse to hate Matt Harvey, but I will say that at 28 god damned years old, the man really should be better at managing hangover symptoms, if in fact that's what actually happened.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Goodpancakes posted:

Vindicated for putting him on my hated baseball player list at the start of last season

I was mad about it too

me posted:

What's to hate? The media in particular seems to hate Matt Harvey's nonexistent bad attitude. When he performs well and owns it, he's seen as arrogant. When he performs poorly and gets down on himself for it, he's seen as useless/overemotional/whatever else. Matt Harvey did nothing wrong and does not deserve to be on this list. :colbert:

:sigh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

iospace posted:

How dare anyone show a personality.

Or try to have fun.

Or gods forbid, date someone.

I'm like, a borderline Harvey apologist at this point, but you are making a disingenuous argument here.

I defended him in the Meet The Teams thread, I've defended him in this thread, and I've defended him on Twitter, but if he seriously went out and got so drunk that he somehow got hungover despite being a professional athlete in the best shape of his life & knowing that water exists, how can I defend that? Hopefully all the reports are wrong and it really was just a migraine, but like...come on.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Goodpancakes posted:

The stuff I struggle with here: 1) Mets staff is completely loving incompetent at handling this. 2) Harvey isn't an everyday player, how loving hard is it to not drink the day before your start. You have like 4 other days to hit it why are you loving that part up.

He drank the day BEFORE the day before his first start. He was not scheduled to play on the day that he missed.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

exploded mummy posted:

Maybe they wanted to see if he went boating the night before

TOO SOON :mad:

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/862028066620624896

I had to turn it off like 30 seconds in because I was starting to get Sal Governale vibes.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Explosionface posted:

He sounds like a robot where someone forgot to program one of the variables. "I'm sorry for [MY ACTIONS] and I'm responsible for [MY ACTIONS]..."

Yeah, it reminded me of one of Sal's first draft apologies where he says "Unfortunately, I didn't represent myself properly on how I wanted to explain myself." By all accounts the apology he gave to the rest of the team was sincere, heartfelt, and articulate, which is all that really matters anyway.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Abel Wingnut posted:

chris berman's wife killed in a car crash per nyp

Terrible news.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

mentholmoose posted:

The Phillies apparently forgot how to pitch recently, so I wouldn't get too excited about beating them.

On the other hand Aaron Altherr is a beautiful, wonderful man.

Goofiest smile in the NL :allears:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Marlins are hot garbage and half of our infield is on the DL. Wake me up when Loria sells.

Marcell Ozuna and Christian Yelich are raking like their lives depend on it, and José Ureña stole Adam Conley's powers and got him banished to the shadow realm. If anything, the Marlins are only lukewarm garbage.

Seriously though, what is taking this Jeb-Jeets deal so long to come through?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Michael Conforto and Jerry Blevins need to get together and find out who is poisoning/kneecapping their teammates.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

FlamingLiberal posted:

MLB team sales take awhile.

Fair enough, I'm new to caring about deals and purchases and things like that.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

seiferguy posted:

Are there a bunch of broken players on the Marlins? Seems like teams starting with M are cursed this year.

Miguel Rojas, JT Riddle, and Adeiny Hechavarria are on the DL. Also Wei-Yin Chen has "tired arm", whatever that is, and I think he is also on the DL.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

This is already much, much, much, much, much, much nicer than his #Re2spect retirement tour.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/NYDNSports/status/863916565091188736

V: "May"????!??!?!?!?! :psyboom:

They have run poor Asdrúbal Cabrera right into the loving ground, and now he's broken. What an utterly expected turn of events. I hate (myself for loving) the Mets.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Julio Cruz posted:

He had 3 pinch-hit appearances in 5 days since initially injuring his thumb last weekend, that's hardly running him into the ground. Having said that, whoever cleared him to start yesterday and today has some explaining to do.

I was under the impression that he had some lingering not-quite-injuries going on and was playing in fair, but not great condition for the whole time. Maybe I was mistaken.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

the popes toes posted:

Gosh I hope I'm not intruding on roidchat but yesterday ALTUVE HIT THE loving DINGER MACHINE.

The internets is fine and all but I wish there was some kind of universe where I woke up in the morning to retrieve the morning paper newspaper, opened it up, and that was the headlines.

I like the Marlins but I hate that thing and I was glad when Altuve hit it.

This is amazing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Rand alPaul posted:

I like him pitching with a SNES stuck in his hair.

Julio Cruz posted:

My favorite is the cow who doesn't think Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is a real thing.

They're all gold, but I really want to see a TV show about a dog who drives a bus and plays for the Mets.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Marlins are dead

They're just painful to watch now. Tom Koehler and Adam Conley have been sent to the DL, Junichi Tazawa is on the DL, Wei-Yin Chen has elbow ghosts or something, and José Ureña is their ace somehow. It's at the point now where I'm actually looking forward to seeing Jeff Locke for reasons other than his handsomeness. Jeff loving Locke. Please kill me.

When I started liking two teams at the same time, I was wholly unprepared for them to both stress me out at the same time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Kalenn Istarion posted:

My son idolizes Pillar :smith:. We weren't watching tonight so he hasn't seen it directly and probably won't hear about it but kinda disappointing.

I don't know how old your son is but if Jorge Posada (my favorite player growing up) said some hosed up poo poo and I found out that my mom knew but didn't tell me and let me go on thinking the world of him, I'd feel a little betrayed.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't know anything about Motte so I googled to see if he was actually gay or not and he's apparently married to a nice lady that helps him with cancer charities for kids.

To my knowledge there are no active openly gay players at the Major League level. I was going to talk about David Denson being the only active openly gay player in an organization, but he retired during spring training. :shrug:

quote:

In a surprise to no one, I did find some other boards talking about this and a lot of people brushing it off as locker room talk and not seeing what the big deal was. "Those guys teammates probably call each other fags all the time, it doesn't mean anything. You probably only cross the line if you use the n-word"

This is sad and hosed up.

edit:

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah, that's part of the dilemma

Where is the dilemma? Tell him. Make it a teachable moment or something.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Joey Freshwater posted:

I am absolutely sure that there are gay dudes that play baseball, just like there are ones that play NFL. They just know what would happen if they were to come out and it's probably not worth it for them and it's sad as hell. Look what happened with Michael Sam in the NFL - there was SO much attention thrown his way. Granted, he turned out to be not very good but everyone was so focused on him being gay that it had to mess with him a little bit.

Something similar happened with that one basketball player. I don't remember his name (maybe Jason something?), I don't follow basketball.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Ice Fist posted:

Apparently bat flips make the game 'tough to watch'

lol

I want to see Joey Bats do a majorette-style bat twirl, skip around the bases, and then curtsy at home plate.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Ice Fist posted:

Honestly I think Bautista's batlfip was dumb because the Jays were losing, but a batflip is basically the football spike of baseball. It's so mundane it's not even worth mentioning.

That only makes me love it more, to be honest.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
If you don't flip your bat within 5 seconds of hitting a dinger, it should count as a strike.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

cis autodrag posted:

Seriously, I am gay but Eric sogard is really hot to me for some reason. He seems like he wouldn't tune out when I talk about my dreams.

Eric Sogard is like a hot version of Tyler Clippard (who I'm already pretty fond of tbh) , and he got yelled at by Matt Garza on Twitter which means he's probably a decent human being.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Beautiful. :allears:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is the most handsome player on your team?

Robert Gsellman, and it's not even close.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Julio Cruz posted:

Yeah I think he's done. It's possible he could still DH for a team since his current issue appears to be throwing, but honestly I think he'd retire before asking for a trade.

Don't let Mets Twitter hear you say any of that. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Matt Wisler isn't ugly, he just has terminal murderface. He's still kind of cute from the right angles. :unsmith:

Julio Cruz posted:

Jerry Blevins: good at pitching, not good at looking human

he's also 6'6" and 190 which makes him look even less human in person

No way, Jerry Blevins is crazy redneck-hot, and that curveball is sexy as hell. I'd have to give it to Addison Reed, who is also very adept at pitching but looks like a serial killer.

• Locked thread