Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spoeank posted:

just play baseball on spreadsheets already its what the fans want

OOTP is pretty great yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

Eh, 4.5 ERA is clearly not ideal for a reliever, but it could be a sign of bad luck. He could end up being pretty g...

oh...

That's his WHIP.

:stare:

he's pitched for 2/3 of an inning and allowed three runners (all of whom scored, which is why his ERA is what it is)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

will_colorado posted:

you and your lovely weather, Minneapolis.

:confused:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

will_colorado posted:

the Twins/Rockies game was postponed tonight. a doubleheader tomorrow with the games starting at 11AM and the other at 6PM. it's the second DH for the Rockies in 9 days.

If you can't appreciate a good storm then I don't know what to say :colbert:

Plus now we get baseball on a basketball off night so it's win-win

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jung-Ho Kang lost his DUI sentence appeal in Korea so he may not be back in the US for some time.

Good, gently caress drunk drivers

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

I've wondered this since I was like 7 and a big kid hit me with a pitch but I've never actually asked it: why don't baseballers wear hockey style pads on their lead arm and hand?

edit - other than Barry's performance enhancing armor of course

It costs between 2-10 thousand dollars each and they tend to only last for one game (though sometimes they break down during the game).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Joey Freshwater posted:

I am absolutely sure that there are gay dudes that play baseball, just like there are ones that play NFL. They just know what would happen if they were to come out and it's probably not worth it for them and it's sad as hell. Look what happened with Michael Sam in the NFL - there was SO much attention thrown his way. Granted, he turned out to be not very good but everyone was so focused on him being gay that it had to mess with him a little bit.

Michael Sam was a fringe NFL prospect at best and all the attention he got from coming out is probably the reason he got drafted at all so I think it worked out pretty well for him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah I'm sure all the negative attention he got was just washed away by the money he made, you're right.

He got a lot of positive attention too. Also he probably didn't make much money since he didn't even make the final roster.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

I can't begin to understand why people care so much about batflips. Batflip on everything I say. Foul balls. Singles. Popups. BuntsNever bunt always swing for the fences

I'd actually be ok with bunting if people batflipped after them, especially when it's a good one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He looked like he straight up apologized at home plate my dude.

You could see the moment he realized that he hosed up when he rounds first base, too

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1399191383/toratl-bautista-launches-homer-causes-altercation

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

That is a better apology but he should still be suspended.

If he had a history maybe but isn't this a "first offense" thing? I've never really heard anything bad about Pillar.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/02/28/as-fans-claim-conspiracy-as-sogard-narrowly-misses-face-of-mlb-title/

For some reason I remember there being a suspicious influx of votes from Korea at the last second but the story doesn't mention that at all so :shrug:

You remember right. No shock that mlb covers it up though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1403400183/colmin-berrios-strikes-out-11-over-7-23-innings/?game_pk=490696

:allears:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kennys Vargas was very mean to a baseball (and the Royals) tonight

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1406670983/kcmin-vargas-launches-a-gametying-tworun-homer/

(the Twins won in the tenth :toot:)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

That's a funny way to say Max Kepler.

Paracaidas posted:

e:^ :hfive:

:colbert: Max Kepler

It's easily Dozier unless you hang out at Subway a lot I guess

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abel Wingnut posted:

anyone going to the brooklyn cyclones' star wars night?

I'm going to the Twins' Star Wars Night does that count?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nobody is safe

https://twitter.com/ParkerHageman/status/866398349909479425

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/866834985419931648

Full clip

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 23, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

iospace posted:

Holy poo poo, a balk that is, you know, not some weird rear end corner case.

And yeah, that's the reaction to expect.

The best part is it's not even the first silly balk the Twins have scored a run off of this year

https://streamable.com/gqe6a

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

iospace posted:

So wait, you're telling me there were at least three balk calls this year where it wasn't the ump going "he twitched the wrong way" but something blatantly obvious?

I mean, you could argue letter vs spirit here for those two (given the rule is to prevent unfair play by the pitcher), but given the game is called by the letter of the rule, drat.

Look man, you can't be out there doin' a balk like that.

Please do not do a balk.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Fix It posted:

Gwinnett To-Win-It

This is what it should be

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/ThePitcherList/status/867436005183418369

:vince:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YeahTubaMike posted:

I absolutely refuse to vote for Atlanta, so JT Realmuto might be my bad team token (even though I voted for Yelich and Ozuna un other ballots).

Pretty sure he's talking about the fact that every team has to have an All-Star and is asking who it's gonna be from the bad teams.

Grittybeard posted:

I wonder what the most ridiculous all star ever is? Mark Redman was an all star for the Royals in a year he finished with a 5.71 ERA, although I don't know how he was doing at the break.

not much better

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Don't throw back dingers.

https://streamable.com/up4gs

Or if you do, don't be an idiot.

Wrigley Field excepted

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also: Dozier after he hit the go ahead dinger in the 8th

https://fat.gfycat.com/PlaintiveBabyishHogget.webm

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Everyone should watch this

https://streamable.com/e9jrm

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

shirts and skins posted:

All right M's, enough joshing around. Where'd you hide the real pitchers?

The DL I think.

Also not enough people are reacting to my link of Sano nearly giving our pitching coach a heart attack

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

Contract the Twins.

Contract your posting

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zigmidge posted:

This was from tonight's Jays broadcast.

23 hits!

https://fat.gfycat.com/KindheartedGrayHeifer.webm

if it wasn't for the uniform I would have thought it was the 8th inning in the Twins/Astros game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Traxis posted:

The worst thing in baseball is God Bless America during the 7th inning stretchHawk Harrelson.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Salvor_Hardin posted:

To be a proper analogy, the batter's response to getting HBP would be to let go of the bat during a swing in his next at bat and try to hit the pitcher. Actually, that would kind of own.

Actually to truly be a proper analogy it would be for the batter to do that in an at bat after the opposing pitcher strikes him out and fistpumps or does the long slow walk around the mound.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YeahTubaMike posted:

I am personally offended at the lack of Michael Conforto on this list. :mad:

edit: and also the lack of Christian Yelich

Conforto isn't on the ballot

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RCarr posted:

As someone who doesn't know the backstory of the brawl, why does everyone think the pitcher should have a lengthier suspension than Harper? He threw at him, which happens all the time. He didn't throw for the head or anything. Then Harper goes on the attack. What am I missing?

If a co-worker punched you as hard as they can in the gut because you were better at your job than they were and you defended yourself would you think it was ok for them to get off with a lesser or equal punishment than you?

Also in this scenario you can't call the cops on them, so no falling back on that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RCarr posted:

That's not a fair comparison, because one is illegal, and the other happens hundreds of times during the course of a season. I figured there was something that had set Strickland off, but if it was just the fact that Strickland's pride was hurt by not pitching well years ago, yea that's a bitch move. Understood.

It's entirely a fair comparison, it's just not considered because "it's always been that way." Which is the point, as Inspector_666 pointed out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RCarr posted:

No, one is literally illegal while the other is not.

I understand and agree with your opinion, but that doesn't change a fact. It's the same reason why hitting a quarterback late gets you a flag and not jail time.

If I whipped a baseball at you when you were walking down the street at 98 MPH and nailed you in the hip would you just be "well it's always been this way so I'l let him go" or would you call the cops on me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Being hit by a pitch is very clearly an assumed risk when playing baseball, it is not when walking down the sidewalk. This is like in hockey threads when people want players prosecuted for nasty hits - it doesn't work that way.

Getting hit by a car when walking down the street is an assumed risk as well but that doesn't make it not a crime if someone does it intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

The only reservation I would have about lengthy suspensions (say ~20 games for a starter) for intentional beanings is that in every sport people are notoriously awful at actually figuring out what's intentional. They tend to both play favorites and screw over people if the NHL is anything to go by.

There are cases where it's blatantly intentional (like this one) where I think you can and should throw the book at them. Otherwise I wouldn't bust out the big suspensions.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Are you seriously advocating that criminal charges be pressed when a HBP is deemed intentional?

What the hell is the point of this metaphor?

He asked why everyone wanted the pitcher to be suspended longer and I used a workplace metaphor that spiraled out of control because even though I stated "you can't involve police" he still fell back on "well no becuz it's illegal!" and "it's always been this way! :downs:"

vvv It's been that way since like a week after the injury :haw: vvv

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

That is a completely different legal principle. Unless a pitcher does something like deliberately throwing a ball at a guys face, and you can prove they did so, getting hit by a pitch is and will always be an assumed risk in a baseball game and trying to argue it should be prosecuted is idiotic.

I wasn't arguing it should be prosecuted, like I said, the whole thing spiraled out of control.

RCarr posted:

I didn't realize he was a starting pitcher (probably because he's not), so I wasn't sure why everyone was calling for a punishment that is above and beyond what is generally handed out for this type of incident. Also, once it was stated that the intentional HBP was not provoked, and was just out of pride/spite, I pretty much agreed instantly.

Like, if you feel that the system is wrong, I get it, but that doesn't mean I should agree that this one pitcher should suddenly have the book thrown at him for every single injustice by a pitcher in MLB history.

I think if you want to get rid of the intentional bean balls (which you should) then you have to start hard. Someone suggested ten games and I think that would have been good.

When baseball started steroid testing they started with a 50 game suspension (which has increased) and a three strikes and you're out policy on failed tests because they wanted to kill it dead. I'm not saying you should ban repeat offenders of beanings, but for blatantly intentional ones they should be doing more, imo.

Intruder posted:

With the steak edit? How did I miss that?

It's pretty subtle and I never really called it out aside from a couple posts in the FARThouse

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RCarr posted:

As to the "it's how it's always been" excuse, yea, but it's on MLB to address that, and until they do there's no use in complaining.

If nobody complains, though, MLB is less likely to see the need to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

And even among general baseball culture and acceptable beanballs to send a message, most players I've seen have said you toss it at mid 80s into the batter's hip, not scorch a 98 mpher (granted they were reacting to balls thrown at the head)

The funny thing is that if he had just plunked him in the hip with a low/mid 80s fastball instead of rearing back and throwing it as hard as he can this whole situation would be different.

• Locked thread