Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Deegan posted:

GWM and BWM?

My grandfather was GWM. He was a mathmatics major, principal of school and a farmer. He took care of his equipment, saved, and was very frugal. He was well regarded and was an adviser on a few company boards.

He lived during the great depression. Survived WW2 by training airmen to build and use radios. He wasn't very fond of risk and focused mainly on buying land that could be leased and farmed. He was often approached by business owners looking for loans and angel money. These were not shady deals mind you, but entrepreneurs and business owners looking for a small business loans to pool with the money they had saved during and after the war.

In the late 1950's he was approached by a relative and another man. I don't know the exact number but my grandmother believed they were looking for around $10,000 to help their small company stay afloat. He thought it was too risky and said no. GWM?

The company they were trying to keep going was Medtronic. Hindsight is 20/20 but is still hurts.

Blizzard only exists because of this sort of deal. Crazy how much can change because of one loan or deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Everyone here is letting the "trees over the money" people off way too loving easy.

If horse people are going to get annihilated, then tree people deserve worse.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Paul ReiserFS posted:

My tuition is $69420

Trevor Bauer account spotted

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

The fun of being a professional sports bettor is that you can't live in the United States so start looking up places in the Caribbean.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Isn’t this changing? New Jersey for one is going all in on sports gambling, I think it’s now state by state for approval.

Not saying many people can be a professional gambler. Just the legality.

In that case it probably depends on with whom you’re betting and if they’re able to operate in the US. Just guessing here, but unless those sites are both going to be competitive with sites like Pinnacle in terms of vig and will actually let winners play, then the bettor still would still need to live abroad.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 3, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

What if, like, people didn't buy the thing?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/dont-buy-stuff/n12020

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

The Chase Sapphire Reserve is basically the yuppie (what do you call 28 - 40 yuppies now?) card of choice and it's probably incredibly difficult to break into that market, so good on Chase. They figured out that everyone in that demo either travels or dreams of it and perfectly positioned their card as the "traveler" card. Yeah some people gamed it and they probably could've avoided that, but they also had everyone talking about their credit card for a few months which is a tremendous achievement.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

SpelledBackwards posted:

Hold on, I've just got to tweak the graphics on level 3.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Budgie posted:

Saw some tree law, this is the good stuff: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9rfvln/update_flneighborstenants_cutting_down_my/

Definitely worth reading the prior thread linked in the post.

What the gently caress is going through the renters’ heads? And boy, is that marriage going to be rough once the lawsuit is over and one idiot father starts blaming the other idiot father for this entire mess.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I guess I’m trying to make sense of the actions of basically the Dumbest Americans but I can’t imagine the thought process that leads to someone to cut down some trees of all things.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Buying property outside of a recession is BWM.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Fun fact— lots of strip club ATMs charge a percentage based rake.

I’ve known enough people who got ripped off like this at a wide variety of clubs. So, don’t bring your plastic. Or any way to pay beyond cash.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

If he’s $160K at Amazon he should just go work for a less demanding company for like, $140K. Less demanding being basically any other company (other than Asian companies where they work people to death so often that there’s a term for that phenomenon in their society).

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 20, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Yeah. One of the challenges I’ve found in left thinking is that the people are correct in that the system is rigged, but even in a more equal society they would still be below average achievers because they still wouldn’t have desirable skills or ability to produce. But still, the system is so hosed that they’re right. Being buffoons doesn’t make them wrong here.

I am six episodes into the MLM podcast and holy poo poo, the one that ends with the successful 31 seller being told how to target poor people when they get their checks was 😫. Also lol at her saying the rich people don’t buy. Yeah, products considered desirable among lower class people that have high end markups probably aren’t super appealing to rich people. Dub.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Non Serviam posted:

While it's an interesting topic, the hosts come off as being remarkably stupid, not to mention that the music they use as background is completely inappropriate for the tone they're going for.
As for content... They don't really say anything that couldn't be explained in much shorter time, with way less ads.

Agreed that they’re pretty dumb and lack any insightful commentary. I do like listening to the people involved in the MLMs though. That part is horrifying but I’m all-in.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

On a friend’s advice I tried Trunk Club and it was OK. I have a hard time finding non-custom clothes that fit well (size 14 feet, 36 inseam, long arms relative to shoulder width), so having the “stylist” dig through brands I’d never heard of for things that actually worked geometrically was worth the price premium. I didn’t buy very much stuff from them, but being able to buy the occasional thing without a shopping ordeal was nice.

Wait. What? They account for your body type? 6’2” with long torso/arms right here can’t buy a sweater that fits to save his life.

Oh no. I’m about to be BWM.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Dick Nipples posted:

Agreed.

I think it’s how they sell it though - at least based on some fliers I see come to the house: “Mix up your dinner plan! Try something exotic!”

Which to be fair, that marketing is attractive to me. We cook a lot but I’m def no pro at a lot of cuisine.

That said - LOL if you think you’re getting out ahead of the “poor schmucks” going to the grocery store because you saved time and “time is money”.

Do the food delivery services hit a middle ground then (E.g. Amazon Fresh)? I’ve never priced them and have no idea how expensive they are.

I did Amazon Fresh a few years ago when it was only in a few cities. It was very expensive up front for joining, and you never got the benefit of getting marked down protein like $1.99/lb chicken or ground turkey. That was what I missed the most when I tried it. The value seemed very poor to me but I live in the suburbs and own a car.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Since Amway will never be taken down, just be happy that DeVos committed some pretty bad BWM— insultingly lowball your truly once in a generation NBA superstar in young Shaq and criticize his play while you’re at it. Eventually they offered more than the Lakers but it didn’t matter.

DeVos will die without an NBA championship after so many opportunities failed to deliver and that matters to him. That’s at least a little satisfying.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 25, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Sock The Great posted:

Richard DeVos died a little more than two months the ago.

Wow. How did I miss this? There should’ve been a party or something.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I’ve spent a few million on influencers over the years and the thing I’ve learned is that there are very few that are worth anything and the ones that are, are very hard working and over deliver on promises and are very reliable. You’d be surprised who plays a goofy buffoon on camera but is a (well appreciated) stone cold savvy business person when the camera is off.

Most are just loving morons who try to deliver half assed videos or posts which involves me spending a lot of time yelling at the agency and citing contractual obligations, and the agency then pretends to yell at the influencer while trying to “manage my expectations”. I’m getting heated just writing this post lol

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm assuming that few million is just part of a much larger advertising budget? Is there any way to determine how much influence these people even have?

Correct. It has to be a part of an overall strategy.

Yes, there are ways to audit that stuff to weed out the fake followers. To use YouTube as an example, you can also eyeball stuff in terms of subscribers vs views vs views on "sponsored" content. There are some browser plug-ins that will do some decent work with that too. You can also ask for the influencer to share their YouTube dashboard to determine audiences. Agencies are always trying to bullshit the brands with bad counting numbers and such. Like, so many have tried to sell me "minimum subscriber base of X" instead of basic cost-per-view minimums. It's irritating and part of that is the difficulty of quantifying awareness marketing, and part of that is just how loose the industry is.

If you do it right and with enough money, you can see some genuine effects-- not like targeted-ad-on-Facebook level of attribution, but good enough. But holy poo poo, it's super easy to BWM-style incinerate giant piles of money doing it. I remember there was one story about a game that had enough money for one PewDiePie video (during his prime), spent the money which was probably in the low six-figure range, and then wondered why they weren't instant successes. That could not have been worse with money.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 2, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I have no idea why people just straight up don’t murder other people more often when they’ve been financially swindled like that.

(Also, I don’t really trust the emotional account of a marriage from a crypto fan but 🤷‍♂️)

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Suspicious Lump posted:

Has this been posted?
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/a5a18z/it_has_been_a_pleasure_to_yolo_with_you_gentlemen/

Wowzer. The audacity to ask employers for a job (a second one mind you) after losing such a large amount.

That's the best possible graph.

Early - Yeah, I'm up huge! To infinity and beyond!
MId - Ok, I lost some but I'm getting it back! When I get back to my early peak, I'm going to sell.
Late - Ok, I lost some again but I'm getting it back! When I get to last peaks, I'll sell.
End - I have no money.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I mentioned essential oils to a friend of mine as a joke. She’s a surgeon who sees people in the worst shape, and she told me at least twice a month she has someone come in with a bad infection relatively close to losing a foot or half a leg who rubbed essential oils on their wound and thought it would get better because the internet said so.

These people, knowing they’re in bad shape and seeking a doctor’s assistance, then get mad when she tells them to take real medicine and stop using the essential oils. A guy who injected some into his Achilles today and might lose a leg because she told him mixing his saliva with lavender is not actual medicine, so he left.

I used to think of these people as harmless morons losing all their money to scams, but wow. They and the scam artists peddling this poo poo are really putting people at severe risk.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I like that $40k to his father guy didn’t first think “get my money anywhere else, then figure out what to do.” Better let that cash sit in that shared account while you decide if you like the Ally or Amex website.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I don’t understand. Bitcoin isn’t anonymous. He can’t say— this was my wallet. Here is the bitcoin I had. Here the bitcoin I transferred. Market rates were approximately this at the time of the sales. And here’s definitely where I paid taxes on these earnings. It’s one massive ledger, dude.

Also, this guy is such a terrible thief or accomplice that they deserve everything bad happening to them. Jesus loving Christ. Cops are so lucky low level criminals are so dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

A few years back I found my 1993-2004 Magic collection was worth a lot of money somehow. Apparently the game doubled in popularity about a decade ago and then doubled again a few years later and all that stuff is so short printed compared to the audience that there were Tempest uncommons going for ~$50 a while back that were maybe $1 - $2 when I played. And all those Friday Night Magic prize foils too. Just simple supply vs demand there.

I did miss out on investing in low graded truly classic comics. A few friends did and even a 3.0 first appearance of Galactus has appreciated like crazy over the last decade. All that mid-level collectible stuff, though? That poo poo bottomed out in 2007 and I’m not sure it ever recovered. And as everyone said, 1990s stuff lol

The short of the story is— nerds got money now. Way too much money.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 1, 2019