Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What bad neighbors

Probably on an MUP or something. Not really a neigh-bors issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

brugroffil posted:

It's possible they weren't really offered another reasonably affordable option

They are making 100k, and probably do have other options given their income level, but even if they don't it has been at least 16 months since the kid was born, and they had at least 9 months before the baby to plan for the expense. They could have easily put 5k into an HSA over that time. These people aren't poor, they are just irresponsible.

therobit fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 28, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

BWM: the tax policy thread.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Bitcoins furries and cammers

I though A/T already had a name.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

using student loans to pay for that stuff.

Someone braver than me should should hunt up fur suits paid for with student loans on reddit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Splicer posted:

I tried and found this on livejournal instead

purchasing a fursuit with a credit card?

i know that probably sounds like an idiot question and forgive my ignorance (hey i went to american public schools) but wouldn't a $1000+ fursuit be a good candidate for building a good credit score?

my mom is 43 and has never owned a credit card, so she has no credit score, which made is extremely difficult for us to find a place to live when my dad gave us the boot. naturally i don't want to end up in the same boat. i just turned 20, and i assume that's around the age that most people get bank accounts and credit cards? and i think i heard somewhere that you can't really build credit unless you buy expensive things. and i already own a car, so i can't use that to build credit.

just a thought i guess. i really know absolutely nothing about this kinda stuff.

LOL close enough. This poor kid hasn't got a chance.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Is 3% mortgage reasonable in CA?

Edit: I thought CA was California.

therobit fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 29, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Bitcoin probably lmao

I guess cocaine and strippers is a little optimistic these days. What is the world coming to when a young man in his prime blows 9 grand on the blockchain instead of drugs and debauchery?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm assuming that few million is just part of a much larger advertising budget? Is there any way to determine how much influence these people even have?

Anyway, moving away from "influencers" who all refer to themselves as influencers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a1irzq/inherited_house_cant_pay_mortgage_might_lose/
Inherited house, can't pay mortgage, might lose house before it can sell. Need advice please.

This one isn't too bad. I bolded the plumbing part because I can't understand someone saying that. I guess everyone wants plastic now, except those can have even worse problems than copper. Copper is like one of the best pipes you can have for plumbing in your house, the place probably just had lovely plumbers install it and now she has leaks at joints.

BWM for grandma to go interest only.

They don't foreclose after 2 missed payments.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

And probe yourself.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Nocheez posted:

Every diamond is a conflict diamond once you're married.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Holy poo poo. lmao at hiring literally the first random hobo you run into to completely renovate your crackhouse

That's my favorite part of this story every time it is posted. "Oh look a crackhead on a bicycle! He seems like he'd be better for the job than the actual contractors I talked to!"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Liar loans were just fine when they were only for borrowers with grade A credit. The problem came in when we gave them to people with grade D credit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

LOL no way this passes regulatory scrutiny. Holy poo poo. I eagerly await Fauxton's scathing commentary.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

OneTruePecos posted:

IOW, liar loans were fine when they were for people who didn't need a liar loan. SISA/NINA are fraud-by-design and Mozilo should be under the jail.

Some people have income streams that fall outside of what traditional underwriting models account for and therefore documenting the income, while possible, can be a real pain in the rear end for both the borrower and the underwriter

People who have seasoned credit and a high credit scores nearly always make their payments, regardless of how the rest of the loan looks on paper when it comes to DTI. Especially if the collateral is their primary residence.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

OneTruePecos posted:

Yeah, I know. This is always the company line justifying liar loans. FICO and LTV gets you like... 90% of the way there in a mortgage risk model based solely on borrower attributes. What it doesn't tell you is how risky that borrower is in a different borrowing climate, like if, say, interest rates change, or unemployment spikes. Then you need accurate information on income and assets, not just some poo poo the broker told them to write down to pass underwriting.

Just skipping that part of checking creditworthiness because it would be hard for the borrower to demonstrate it is silly. It would be like having a class of loans that didn't check credit, because some people don't have much credit history, and then pricing them the same as the 700-719 tranche, and then acting surprised that everyone with a sub-700 credit score took out one of your under-priced loans and then even more surprised when a lot of them defaulted, leaving the schmucks that bought your loans holding the bag.

Countrywide and their ilk knew what they were doing when they expanded this stuff from a tiny little niche to the core of the industry.

Many types of credit don't require income docs. Which is OK on A credit but not on D credit.

Also borrowers with A credit and verified income with low DTI will also default under certain circumstances. If I walk out there and get creamed by a bus and become a quad, my payments won't get made anymore. Short of that, they probably will. The risk models don't assume 0% default rate, and expecting 0% defaults in any market is foolhardy. Credit and LTV will get you a lot farther than 90%. If stated income loans had remained a product only offered on A credit ir would have bein fine.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thus first one is either BWM or just really sad depending on the numbers. Some people just aren't making enough to save.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

My drycleaner always provided plastic stays for free when I still worked in an environment that called for them. Although for everyday wear I grew to like oxford shirts anyway.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Should I marry my car, which I have legally redefined to be my horse, to save on import fees?

If you marry it, then it gets legally redefined again to be your spouse, but then it has to go through the immigration process. This could take years and thousands of dollars in plane tickets and attorney's fees. I would stick with your car being a horse because then it's just a quarantine for a couple of weeks and a visit to the vette.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Mameluke posted:

People who say "my attorney isn't helping me" are, without exception, functionally illiterate morons too wrapped up in their unmerited, Teflon-clad sense of self-worth to acknowledge that the Crown won't just "drop the charges" because they "didn't do it" (they did)

Pretty much like the wife of the embezzler in season 1 of "Better Call Saul."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Lol @ the people moralizing at this guy in the comments for considering default. Will someone please think of the banks!!!!

As a banker who used to do the underwriting, I wish we could dispense with the moralizing around ruthless defaults. Businesses do it all the goddamn time. I won't lend you money if you have done it in the past, but that is a business decision the same as your decision to default was. Buy the ticket, take the ride. Some percentage of borrowers will default, and we know that going in. If too many people are doing it, then we need to update our risk models.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Lol the Green Bay Packers sticker decorated cat statue is possibly the worst object that has ever existed

A green bay packers fan that likes cat statues might be the worst type of sports fan that has ever existed.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Murderball posted:

I'm a Patriots and Red Sox fan

So, you're a Masshole, in other words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think about buying an older car from the 70's and then realize I'd like a fuel injector, an emissions system worth a drat, decent gas mileage, and to live through a 35mph crash.

My old Volkswagen had the most pointless seat belts and a javelin for a steering column.

Older cars look really cool, carbs have character, emissions won't affect you personally, and living through a 35 mph crash is totally overrated. Pay up your life insurance and it becomes GWM for your beneficiary!