Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Krispy Wafer posted:

Whether or not the lender keeps their own loans makes a difference. No one cared before the Great Recession because a lot mortgages were bundled with AAA ratings and sold off almost immediately. If you’re banking on decades of income from the borrower then you make safer loans. If all you care about are fees then you make big lovely deals that you offload as fast as possible.

I've got some bad news about the rate of securitized mortgages today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Concerned about the house we bought and our overspending. First time finance poster.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a0vzny/concerned_about_the_house_we_bought_and_our/

$7120/mo, $85k/yr take home, so barely $100k gross.
$7383/mo in expenses
One of them not working.
$2300/mo mortgage, only put 5% down, so they bought a $500k house. On $100k/yr.

Reddit, why didn't this work they way I thought it would?

If they're not already doing it, they could save a shitload by using an FSA to pay for child care.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

I've got some bad news about the rate of securitized mortgages today

As long as the subprime ones aren’t getting AAA ratings then that’s okay. By giving them premium ratings they increased the pool of institutions or funds that could buy them and encourage ever more risky lending.

There are always going to be lovely lenders and bad borrowers. But when their lovely duplexes in Vegas are securitized into financial instruments with better ratings than US Treasury debt, it’s a real big problem.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
OP Came back to tell us what the utilities are. I noticed 3 I wouldn't usually lump into utilities. Phone is probably cell, so that isn't that crazy.

quote:

Thanks for responding for me :) The student loans aren’t terrible. We also paid off my husbands loans in full already before we moved.

The birth I’ve been paying more towards than the minimum so we will have that paid off in less than a year. Thank you to my job for having a high deductible consumer plan which ended up costing me $5000 for her birth (it was billed at $30k)

The car we financed at a shorter rate, 3 years? So we’re getting that paid off quicker as well.

As far as utilities, I did bucket many items.

Utilities has the following: Electric & Gas - $215. Old house. It’s our first time running through the seasons in it so we’re looking into ways to fix some of the insulation problems. My step dad is going to help when he comes up at Christmas.

Water- about $48

Trash etc - $33

Phone bill is $195 but being cut down to $140 in January

Hulu streaming is $83, which my husband and I are going to try to cut down

Internet is $50

Home security is $59

Looks like $31 is gone from that somewhere, which I’m fine with :)

How the gently caress is is Hulu costing them $83 a month?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

OP Came back to tell us what the utilities are. I noticed 3 I wouldn't usually lump into utilities. Phone is probably cell, so that isn't that crazy.

No, really, how??? I keep getting emails from them saying I can get a sweet deal of six whole dollars a month.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

Turns out they also offer Cable TV https://www.hulu.com/live-tv with HBO and similar addons.

edit: Jesus christ I love that the cable companies just can't help themselves:

quote:

No Commercials
Get First Month Free
then $11.99/month
SELECT
A few shows play with a commercial before and after the video.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

The more services get offered, the less I understand the need for a zillion channels on TV. In a world where you can easily kill 3 hours watching jack poo poo on youtube, let alone the hundreds of shows already available on Netflix and Hulu, WHY?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Watching Game of Thrones legitimately is BWM

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

quote:

I have 4 credit cards that I regularly use and it's confusing at times to keep up with all the balances.

Is there a service that is able to aggregate all of my current balances into one site?

That'll be what gets runaway CC use under control, yep.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Doccykins posted:

You buried the lede
america.txt: a $100 a month "Paying back child birth" line item

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Hoodwinker posted:

US Gov't: we are running on a huge deficit. here is my budget. help, my people are dying!
budget -
food: $100
medicine: $200
shelter: $300
industrial military complex: $874,400,000,000

"spend less on industrial military complex"

US Gov't: no

Defense is ~20% of the federal budget if you include veterans benefits (which is food and healthcare). When people quote huge percentages it's usually because the budget is arbitrarily divided between mandatory (not actually mandatory) and discretionary spending and they quote the defense budget as a percentage of the discretionary part. Social security, unemployment, Medicare and Medicaid make up the bulk of federal spending.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Defense is ~20% of the federal budget if you include veterans benefits (which is food and healthcare). When people quote huge percentages it's usually because the budget is arbitrarily divided between mandatory (not actually mandatory) and discretionary spending and they quote the defense budget as a percentage of the discretionary part. Social security, unemployment, Medicare and Medicaid make up the bulk of federal spending.

And depending on how you look at it, not spending is still spending. For example tax incentives aren't an outlay, but reduced income from them is basically equivalent.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Has this been posted? Gender reveal gone wrong:

quote:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/11/27/sawmill-fire-explosion-caught-camera-during-gender-reveal-party/2123246002/
U.S. border Patrol agent sparked $8M Arizona wildfire with gunshot at gender-reveal party

In the midst of the dispersing shrapnel, dust and fire, blue smoke can be seen soaring into the air, which usually indicates the expected baby is a boy.

Nearly 600 firefighters and related crews worked the fire, which forced over 100 people to evacuate their homes and caused $8 million worth of damage, previous reports show.
What a loving idiot.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Suspicious Lump posted:

What a loving idiot.

Isn't he paying 220k? GWM

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Suspicious Lump posted:

What a loving idiot.

quote:

As part of a plea agreement, Dickey agreed to a sentence of five years’ probation and to pay restitution totaling more than $8.1 million. He agreed to make an initial $100,000 payment and monthly payments thereafter, officials said.

There goes the college fund.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

moana posted:

america.txt: a $100 a month "Paying back child birth" line item

They had a $5k deductible, i.e., they chose a HDHP and didn't fund their HSA sufficiently or have enough in savings to make that a good choice. For what drat well out to be a not-a-huge-surprise event (having a child) for anyone with sufficient education to land a 6 figure job, buy a house that is too big, and take care of a manbaby husband.

I get the america.txt, but working within the system we have, they still hosed it up fantastically for someone who should be in a position to know better.

And she does. But her method of "managing" her life appears to be just doing whatever the gently caress she wants and sticking her head in the sand whenever information or ideas that don't support this impulsive behavior present themselves.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BMan posted:

Watching Game of Thrones legitimately is BWM
Someone's gotta pay for it or the spin-offs won't be made.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

They had a $5k deductible, i.e., they chose a HDHP and didn't fund their HSA sufficiently or have enough in savings to make that a good choice. For what drat well out to be a not-a-huge-surprise event (having a child) for anyone with sufficient education to land a 6 figure job, buy a house that is too big, and take care of a manbaby husband.

I get the america.txt, but working within the system we have, they still hosed it up fantastically for someone who should be in a position to know better.

And she does. But her method of "managing" her life appears to be just doing whatever the gently caress she wants and sticking her head in the sand whenever information or ideas that don't support this impulsive behavior present themselves.

It's possible they weren't really offered another reasonably affordable option

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

brugroffil posted:

This is the situation at my work. At least my company pays the premium!

It ended up working out when I had my kid, after the birth I applied for financial aid at the hospital which ended up giving us a 75% discount on the $5k max out of pocket we owed.

BWM Content: The new department coordinator was telling us about how she has a timeshare at Disney. Was also complaining about the rate on her HELOC going up suddenly!

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 28, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

brugroffil posted:

They are making 100k, and probably do have other options given their income level, but even if they don't it has been at least 16 months since the kid was born, and they had at least 9 months before the baby to plan for the expense. They could have easily put 5k into an HSA over that time. These people aren't poor, they are just irresponsible.

therobit fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 28, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This chick reminds me of a female version of :zaurg:

:rip:

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The explicit DoD budget is roughly 20% but that doesn't factor in all of the other military spending that gets hidden within other departments (eg dept of energy for the nuclear arsenal, NASA with military sat stuff, DHS spending, State dept stuff) and also excludes debt related expenses for the military. In 2014 for instance the DoD budget was $614b or 16.8% of the budget but once you include all of the known expenses elsewhere (plenty is hidden completely for national security reasons but probably is small enough here to ignore) the total is closer to $1.3T or 35.6% of the budget (total budget both mandatory and discretionary).

So the dril joke is still inaccurate here but we spend as much on the military as we do social security. The military as its current bloated beast is at best providing broken windows stimulus (so basically nil) and at worst is a drain on the overall economy (a military is of course necessary, especially to ensure US dominance, but we could do that with substantially reduced spending) whereas social security is self-funded (to the point that a huge portion of our national debt is in the form of borrowing from SS) and provides real economic stimulus of roughly 2x (in 2014 SS provided roughly $1.6T economic stimulus at a cost of $850B) and addressed real problems in our society.

So while the joke wasn't entirely accurate it does still touch on a truth which is that allocating resources towards waste is a real problem long term and the military is egregiously wasteful and has a very real opportunity cost as we forego allocations that are actually productive. Which touches on the discussion about the debt and deficit. The debt is not itself a bad thing and the total amount of debt the US has is manageable. Similarly a big deficit can easily be dealt with and the deficit in of itself is basically a non issue. The core issue comes down to if we are allocating resources towards things that matter (infrastructure, schools, hospitals, feeding people, etc) and will set the country up for future success. The military budget might not make up 99.99% of the total budget but the fact that it has comparable spending to social security or medicare is shameful.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

wilderthanmild posted:

I must have just been lucky with my LO. I remember she said "So we can lend you up to xxx if you really want, but it would be a bad idea to spend anywhere near that." It might have been that I was already coming in with a budget to spend so it wasn't worth trying to push my numbers up. She did also say that a lot of people seemed offended at the idea they shouldn't spend near the max though.

Yeah. Ours basically said "we can approve you up to XXXK, but your payments would be $2100 a month." That was my partners entire monhly take home at that time. We weren't too comfortable with that.

They also had us bring in a few places we found on Zillow and through our agent that we were possibly interested in and broke down what it would cost, including insurance and property tax, as well as HOA.

It REALLY helped us set our sights where they needed to be, and kept us away from putting in an offer on an admittedly very nice townhouse where the mortgage was manageable...until you factored in the huge HOA fee. 1 very GWM hour of our lives.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Raldikuk posted:

The explicit DoD budget is roughly 20% but that doesn't factor in all of the other military spending that gets hidden within other departments (eg dept of energy for the nuclear arsenal, NASA with military sat stuff, DHS spending, State dept stuff) and also excludes debt related expenses for the military. In 2014 for instance the DoD budget was $614b or 16.8% of the budget but once you include all of the known expenses elsewhere (plenty is hidden completely for national security reasons but probably is small enough here to ignore) the total is closer to $1.3T or 35.6% of the budget (total budget both mandatory and discretionary).

So the dril joke is still inaccurate here but we spend as much on the military as we do social security. The military as its current bloated beast is at best providing broken windows stimulus (so basically nil) and at worst is a drain on the overall economy (a military is of course necessary, especially to ensure US dominance, but we could do that with substantially reduced spending) whereas social security is self-funded (to the point that a huge portion of our national debt is in the form of borrowing from SS) and provides real economic stimulus of roughly 2x (in 2014 SS provided roughly $1.6T economic stimulus at a cost of $850B) and addressed real problems in our society.

So while the joke wasn't entirely accurate it does still touch on a truth which is that allocating resources towards waste is a real problem long term and the military is egregiously wasteful and has a very real opportunity cost as we forego allocations that are actually productive. Which touches on the discussion about the debt and deficit. The debt is not itself a bad thing and the total amount of debt the US has is manageable. Similarly a big deficit can easily be dealt with and the deficit in of itself is basically a non issue. The core issue comes down to if we are allocating resources towards things that matter (infrastructure, schools, hospitals, feeding people, etc) and will set the country up for future success. The military budget might not make up 99.99% of the total budget but the fact that it has comparable spending to social security or medicare is shameful.

What the hell is going on, someone made a good effort post in the BWM thread???

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

We didn't even ask for the maximum approval amount. Wanted a letter saying $120k, the mortgage officer said "sure but you could definitely get way more," we said "nah we want to keep it at or below what we pay for rent" and ended up with a mortgage payment $130 lower than rent with cheaper utilities in the neighborhood we wanted to live in.

We pay extra every month and zillow keeps saying it's going up in value for some ridiculous reason.

Now I work for the bank that holds the mortgage and I found out employees get $1k off closing costs on mortgages or refis so maybe in hahahahaha rates are probably never going back down I'm stuck with 3.75% for three decades

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 28, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"The joke wasn't entirely accurate" is probably the highest praise I've ever gotten.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s complex. You see 21 trillion and that’s a lot, but like’s been said we owe a lot of it to ourselves and a lot that we owe to others is just there as a hedge or place to park money. It’s the world’s safest investment and people will take a small loss in uncertain times just to avoid a large loss. There was a quick minute when it looked like the Euro might be preferable to the Dollar and then Greece happened and now everyone’s loving on the Dollar again.

As for how much to tax. A lot and across all income brackets. We will probably need a new payroll and a higher consumption tax. Ironically the system now is more progressive than it’s been in awhile, although that will change when the lower income tax cuts sunset. We will need to tax rich people at least at 1990’s levels, but you can’t dig yourself out of this sized entitlement hole increasing taxes only on the wealthy.

We need New Deal style taxes. Get the money moving by taxing the ways that the rich hide their income from being considered income, and remove corporate exemptions so we have less enormous corporations paying effectively negative tax rates.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
BWM: the tax policy thread.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BWM: shying away from taxing accumulation of capital to the point where your economy collapses because anyone who can afford to spend money won't

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Raldikuk posted:

Citation please, I have a real hard time figuring out how you get to double the official DOD budget by adding in some fraction of the DOE, NASA, State when all of those together are dwarfed by the DOD

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

I'm stuck with 3.75% for three decades
If it’s any consolation that is still insanely low in historic terms.

And it won’t be three decades if you keep overpaying.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Raldikuk posted:

2014 was the year that ISIS got big and we had a massive air campaign plus deployed thousands of ground troops so it was probably an outlier. Schools and hospitals are mostly done at the state or local level so you won't see them in the federal budget except for some grants. Ditto for a bunch of other welfare spending and infrastructure.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The solution to America's financial problems lie in proscription.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/a102q2/finally_got_the_call_from_my_dad_i_had_been/

quote:

r/Bitcoin•Posted byu/euthyfhro
redditor for 3 months
10 hours ago
Finally got the call from my dad I had been dreading.

Backstory: I bought bitcoin back in early 2016. Not a lot, I didn’t have a lot of money, but it became a lot over the course of the next year and a half. Along the way, I would periodically tell my dad about how my bitcoin was doing. He had a vague notion of what it was, but didn’t know anyone else who had some and got really curious. In October of last year I visited my dad (we live in different states) and he had me show him how to buy bitcoin. I explained the risks: that bitcoin was a new technology and there was a good chance it would crash and a small chance that he would lose all of his investment . He said he knew and had been doing some of his own research, and so I set him up on an exchange and he bought some bitcoin. Well we all know what happened a few months later in January and what the story has been since. I have been worried that he was angry at me for talking about, and helping him buy something that had crashed so spectacularly. Well yesterday I finally got a call from him. Surprisingly he wasn’t mad at all. He was calling to tell me that bitcoin had dropped below 4,000 and that he had just bought some more. He wanted to make sure I didn’t miss my chance. Got to hand it to him, he’s got guts.

EDIT: Some of you have expressed worry that my dad is being foolish with his money. It is true that there is a very real risk that bitcoin will completely collapse and my dad will lose a significant percentage of his investment, potentially all of it. To clarify, my dad has invested a non trivial amount of money in bitcoin, but he is retired, and extremely well diversified. Bitcoin makes up a very small percentage of his total portfolio, so there is really no need to worry. He could lose it all and still be more than fine. He hasn’t invested more than he can afford to lose.]

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Turns out the dad had in fact gambled away the entirety of his retirement savings and remortgaged his house to keep it rolling.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I've notice an uptick in self-post reports lately. I know some people can't stand them, and others think that we shouldn't shut down discussion automatically just because they start with an I, my, or we, but just keep the general forums rule in mind:

quote:

Before you post: Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level?"

If it's relevant and contributes to a discussion, go for it, but self-indulgent posts or humble bragging about your interest rate or the deal you got does not seem to be popular here.

e: It's time for BFC to be BFC again. I'll have it changed back to Business, Finance, and Careers, or something else if anyone wants to suggest something

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 28, 2018

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I think it's cathartic to talk about the BWM things we've done ourselves. It's just that no one wants to hear humblebrags or about how GWM they are itt.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Bitcoin Forex and Candles

If we haven't done that one already

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

Bitcoin Forex and Candles

If we haven't done that one already

we did do that one

broodmares fords and caterers, since this is kinda the bwm thread forum nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bob dobbs is dead posted:

we did do that one

broodmares fords and caterers, since this is kinda the bwm thread forum nowadays

Borrowing For Canines