Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

So with all these stories about lottery winners being harassed, why aren’t people constantly beating down Warren Buffet’s door? Or are people doing that and we just don’t hear about it?

I would hope I could handle a huge influx of money like that, but I’d probably just donate most of it, keep enough to get by on, and just lie to everyone that I gave it all away.

Private security to keep the poors away. The begging still happens but it's from guys in suits at fundraising events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

legendof posted:

Also he uses the phrase "high paying waitress jobs" which just sort of leaves me with all kinds of questions.

That being said, the girlfriend doesn't have any significant debt despite getting a master's degree so honestly that could be way worse.

If you’re hot and work at high end restaurants you can make tons of money. Equivalent of 6 figures easy if you under report your tips.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

It is possible to criticize a woman without being a misogynist. Or maybe it isn't, what do I know.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did they mention what their income is like? Dude accumulated $100k in 5 years which isn't very impressive in a raging bull market.

Even in the current market you'd have to save 5 figures a year to end up with that much. Far from chump change.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Why don’t rich people just pay their taxes? They can obviously afford it

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

mainlander vs. taiwanese/hk/singaporean

wat.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Poor kid.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Home schooling sounds alright and could be done well. But try and talk to someone who home schools and within 5 minutes you will hear one or more of these words: vaccine, Jesus, or 'those types'.

I'm sure there are perfectly reasonable and well adjusted people who home school. I just haven't met them.

You need to talk to some Asian ones. Though the reasonable and well adjusted part is debatable.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

Wanting to be InstaFamous can be pretty bad with money. In this case a publicist sank $10,000 into debt trying to live an Instagram lifestyle, and right now has about 18,000 followers to show for it.

This is easily possible if you’re pretty enough and own a computer with a webcam.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Switchback posted:

This breakfast just cost my in-laws $45 + $8 service fee and coffee isn’t even included.

This is what can happen when your hotel primarily caters to business travelers who expense everything.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Open a twitch channel and it becomes a job.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, English or Art degrees.

DAE STEM?!?!?

Let’s be real, people with those degrees aren’t doing manual labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Well if it makes you guys feel any better basically every pension fund is insolvent.