Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Another Trump and BWM thread topic collision.

https://twitter.com/ivankatrump/status/715648874346520576?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Krispy Kareem posted:

Um...

Doesn't the FTC say you need to explicitly mark any tweets you're paid to make? I mean, a Trump could have tweeted about a product out of the kindness of their heart, buuuuuut...

Ivanka Trump is one of the few people I could imagine legitimately using and enjoying a $699 juicer that requires WiFi and a $40 a week DRM-locked juice bag subscription service.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BW(Parents')Money:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/valedictorian-university-maryland-drops-out-school-two-managadze

I was going to bold a bunch of passages in the letter he wrote, but just read it.

It's long, but holy poo poo this kid has a terminal combination of dumb and smug.

(My favorite part is when he asks his parents to not be mad at him for dropping out after they paid all of his tuition because he needs a place to live while he looks for investors for his startup.)

Make sure to click his Youtube link to a video of him rapping about entrepreneurship.

quote:

The 2017 Valedictorian of University of Maryland drops out of school two weeks before graduation

Dear University of Maryland,

I was your Valedictorian until about a month ago and almost gave the Main Commencement Speech at graduation, but instead of giving the speech, I decided to follow my dreams, fail all my classes this semester, and drop out of school two weeks before graduation without getting a degree. If you would like to know why your Valedictorian dropped out of school, you're welcome to read my email to my parents below:

Dear Mom and Dad,

I finally found my destiny this semester in college.

I have finally understood how leadership, happiness, and fearlessness actually work.

Leadership is very simple.

All you need to have is a lot of confidence and a lot of empathy both at the same time.

You need confidence to know what you want to do and do it.

You need empathy to understand other people’s perspectives, emotions, wants, and desires so you can lead them and help them achieve their goals.

You make yourself happy and you make everybody around you happy.

You can’t have confidence without emotional intelligence or emotional intelligence without confidence.

You need both.

I have learned that there are only two real emotions in life: love and anger.

Life is not as complicated as people make it out to be as long as you’re not lazy.

Life is actually very simple.

We are always mentally at either peace or war.

You show love to your friends in peace and anger to your enemies in war.

That’s it.

Peace or War.

People are also easily divided in two categories: real friends or enemies.

This is what a real friend is: he supports you in every way possible, makes you feel better no matter what you’re going through, never judges you, never makes fun of you in a bad way, and always has your best interest in mind.

Every “friend” that does not fit this description is a fake friend.

You need to get rid of fake friends immediately. They’re only slowing you down.

Either try to convert them to your real friends or just completely ignore them forever.

I have finally also understood what passion really means.

Every human being on this planet only really has one passion - the passion of life.

If we are mentally at peace, we are passionate about life by doing what we love.

If we are mentally at war, we are passionate about life by fighting for it and protecting it.

Very simple.

You’re always happy, though.

Happiness is a choice.

You’re happy in peace.

You’re happy in war.

You’re always happy.

If you stop being lazy, stop listening to haters, and take control of your mind and all its thoughts and emotions, you can literally choose to be happy all the time.

From right now, till the second you die, you can always be happy if you want to.

Happiness is a choice.

I’m always happy, no matter what happens.

You think you need a reason to be happy?

I’m happy because I’m alive. Period.

There are no other emotions in life other than love and anger.

Fear?

What is fear?

Fear doesn’t make any sense to me.

Fear is not an emotion.

You can’t feel fear.

Fear is all in your head.

If it’s in your head that means you can completely block it out.

This semester I was able to block out every single fear I had in my head about absolutely everything.

I’m literally, by definition, fearless, and you can be too if you want to.

What are you afraid of?

Are you afraid of other human beings?

What?

Why?

What does that even mean?

Why would you fear someone of your own species?

If someone is a threat to your happiness in any way, then they are an enemy.

Aggressively defend yourself from your enemies, but also show mercy.

Just because somebody is your enemy, does not mean you necessarily have to hurt them.

You should do your absolute best to solve all your problems without unnecessarily hurting others.

Other human beings should not be your enemies.

Life is a collaboration, not a competition.

These are your real enemies: cancer, hunger, homelessness, all other diseases, the fact that we're running out of resources and haven't colonized other planets yet, the fact that we haven’t discovered life somewhere else in the universe, etc.

Are you afraid of failure?

What?

Why?

There is no such thing in life as failure.

Every “failure” and “mistake” is just a lesson.

Lessons on lessons on lessons.

Blessings on blessings on blessings.

Learn from your mistakes as soon as they happen, bounce back immediately, and move on with your life, faster and smarter than before.

Are you afraid of death?

What?

Why?

I could die right this second. I would die absolutely happy if I died right now.

And so on and on with all your other fears.

Fear is literally not a thing.

Fear is not a thing in peace.

Fear is not a thing in war.

Fear is never a thing.

Period.

I have learned that the number one most important part of getting rid of all fear is being completely honest to absolutely everybody (starting with yourself) about absolutely everything absolutely all the time.

Do you realize that when you lie, you literally create fear in your head that the other person might find out the truth?

You create fear?

In your own head?

On purpose?

Is that a joke?

Why would anybody do that?

If you want to be completely fearless, you have to be completely honest.

Very simple.

Boredom?

What is boredom?

Boredom is not an emotion either.

Boredom is literally the absence of life, the absence of passion.

Why would you ever be bored?

Do you enjoy being bored? That doesn’t make sense.

Being bored literally wastes your life away.

Every second of your life that you are bored, you are throwing those seconds away.

Please don’t ever be bored ever.

Boredom is not a thing.

There’s only two kinds of things in life: things you can do something about, and things you can’t do anything about.

The past is something you can’t do anything about because it’s already past.

Regret?

What’s regret?

You’re feeling bad about the past?

Why?

There’s absolutely nothing you can do about the past.

The only thing you can do is make peace with it and learn from it.

Regret is not a thing.

The future is something you can do something about.

It’s all in your hands.

Your story has not been written yet.

You are the only one who can write it.

Worry?

What’s worry?

You’re having a negative thought about the future?

Why?

If you want something, do something about it.

Make it happen.

Make your dreams actually come true.

Worry is not a thing.

The present is your greatest present.

Always live in the moment.

You only have one life.

Life’s beautiful.

You can do anything you want.

I cannot see heaven being much better than this.

Stay focused.

Don’t multitask.

Focus on one thing at a time.

Completely immerse yourself in what you are doing without any distracting thoughts.

That means, yes, when you are working, your phone should probably be on airplane mode.

All you have to do is make sure that you are absolutely happy in the present, no matter what you are doing.

If you are always happy in the present, then you will be happy in the past, present, and future. Think about it…

What’s the point of having any negative thoughts about the present, past, or future?

What’s the point of having any negative thoughts in your head at all?

You can’t be happy if you have any negative thoughts in your head.

That means when you judge others, you are literally creating negative thoughts in your head on purpose and purposefully making yourself unhappy.

Are you kidding me?

Why are you making yourself unhappy?

Why are you judging others?

Judgement means misunderstanding.

You don’t understand why other people are doing what they are doing.

They clearly have a good reason for doing what they’re doing, or they would not be doing it.

Stop judging.

Try to understand people instead of judging them.

Judging is not a thing.

Here’s one of the most important things in life: commitment.

How did Cortes overtake the Aztec empire with only 600 men against hundreds of thousands of enemies?

After landing on the beaches of Mexico, instead of charging right into battle, he camped out on the beach, gave motivational speeches to his army for multiple days, and then burned every single one of his boats.

There is no way back.

There is no safety net.

There is no backup plan.

There is no escape plan.

You only have two choices: you can either die, or you can ensure victory.

That’s it.

You’re one billion percent committed to your goal.

No thought of escape or failure whatsoever.

We all know how that story ended.

This semester I have finally understood that my true passion and dream is to become a self made entrepreneur.

A CEO.

That means I want to start my own company.

From scratch.

Without a degree.

Without getting a job anywhere.

And become a self made entrepreneur.

Why am I getting a degree if my dream is to not have a degree?

I don’t want a degree.

I don’t want any job that requires a degree, ever.

To me, a degree and any job that requires a degree, is an escape plan from my dreams.

I don’t need escape plans from my dreams.

I don’t need a back up plan in my life.

I don’t need a safety net.

I don’t ever want to work with anybody who thinks having a degree is more important than being fearless.

Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t waste any money, I fully completed my computer science major and technology entrepreneurship minor.

I got a computer science education and became a Valedictorian.

I only dropped out of school two weeks before graduation.

All I didn’t get was a piece of paper.

I believe in people.

I believe in honesty.

I believe in fearlessness.

I don’t believe in concepts the society made up if they don’t make sense to me.

Why are most people unable to become successful entrepreneurs?

Because they don’t persevere.

After a few ideas and start ups fail, they give up on their dream and get a job with their degree.

Guess what?

By not getting a degree, I completely eliminated the option of giving up on my start ups and getting a job from my entire life.

I will literarily never ever even have the option to give up, literally ever.

I will make my dreams come true or I will literally die trying.

That’s how passion works.

I will never work a day in my life, while also working every single day of my life, on my life.

Is it insanely difficult to become an entrepreneur from scratch?

Not if you want it badly enough.

Doing anything worth doing is difficult, but just because something is difficult does not mean it’s not worth doing.

I’m gonna make it work, one way or another, without a degree.

I don’t care how hard it gets or what kind of hell I have to go through for how many years to get there.

I’ll make it work.

Watch me.

By the way, I’m telling you everything post-factum.

You can’t change my mind about this.

I already purposefully failed all my exams this semester so there would be no way I could get my degree.

I already purposefully failed all my classes.

I already officially dropped out of the university.

You’re probably not very happy about my decision.

You’re probably very mad at me at this point.

Just remember that no matter how mad you’ll be at me, I’ll still always love you very much.

Please don't disown me yet though.

I really need a place to stay before my start ups get funded.

I don't even have money for food right now.

I’m literally almost always broke.

I literally get the “Your account is below $15” email from Bank of America on a weekly basis.

I currently have in my possession 1 US Dollar, 10 Canadian Dollars, and about 20 bucks in my bank account.

That’s all the money I have in the world.

That’s like two and a half Chipotle burritos and then I might actually die of hunger.

Last week I was trying to buy two sandwiches from Bagel Place and the cashier handed me back my debit card and said I could only buy one sandwich because my “gift card” ran out of money…

I don’t even have any money to buy any of this society’s dreams right now.

That’s why I’m building my own.

This is what my heart told me to do.

This is me ignoring the society’s ridiculous rules about life and truly following my heart’s most intimate desires.

27 million people have watched Steve Job’s 2005 Stanford Commencement Address but how many people do you know who actually took his advice literally and followed their heart?

Well, now you know at least one.

Am I absolutely crazy? Probably. It’s the crazy ones that change the world though, remember?

Dear Mom, I would not be anything near the person I am today without you. I would be completely lost in this world if you had not educated me. I can't even really express how much I love you. Thank you for always standing by my side and supporting me no matter what.

Dear Stepdad, I don’t know what I would have done if you had not come into my life and saved me. You have been my greatest inspiration my entire life. You grew up in one of the worst time periods ever in Soviet Union Georgia, a time when most of the country did not have money or food or electricity most of the time. But regardless of your circumstances, because of your unending hunger for more and more knowledge, relentless work ethic, and unbreakable dedication and determination for a better life, you made it from impoverished Georgia to a PhD in Germany and then an amazing job in Silicon Valley. I am proud to call you my father.

Also tell my little sister I love her.

I don't know if her reading skills are good enough yet to completely understand this message.

(That's a joke. She's around 13 and probably smarter than me.)

Love,

Your son.

That’s all.

I just wanted you to read the email I wrote to my parents.

By the way, education needs to be free for everybody immediately.

Anybody can become a computer scientist for almost free online without paying tens of thousands of bucks in an “education.”

I almost never went to any class ever after freshman year.

I literally became the Valedictorian by learning everything by myself at home and then only showing up to the exams.

Nobody needs to pay tens of thousands of bucks to sit in class either bored or asleep for 4 years.

Remember how boredom is the opposite of passion?

Every single second that you are bored in class is a second of your life wasted.

To be completely honest with you, literally none of my professors were able to inspire me in any way.

Even the director of my Hinman CEOs Entrepreneurship Program insulted me and told me that I wasn’t good enough to become an entrepreneur because my 3.94 GPA “could be higher.” Is that a joke?

I’m sorry University of Maryland, your campus is absolutely beautiful and I created amazing memories there, but I give you zero credit for my education.

The only people that deserve any credit for my success so far are my parents, my sister, my puppy, David Potter, Abb Kapoor, Camren Sonneveldt, Jonathan Galitzer, Michael Victor Blake, Andrew Creighton, Don Koller, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, Sean Parker, Sergey Brin, Larry Page, Jimmy Wales, Larry Sanger, Ben Horowitz, Marc Andreessen, Obama, Ellen DeGeneres, Jeff Cavaliere, G-Eazy, Drake, Big Sean, Kendrick, Logic, Eminem, Lil Wayne, 2 Chainz, Snoop Dogg, Meek Mill, Rick Ross, Busta Rhymes, K.A.A.N, iamtherealak, Kanye, and StackOverflow.

I was able to complete all my computer science major and technology entrepreneurship minor requirements in three years of college and became the Valedictorian, but because I did not waste any time going to classes, I also had time to work out every single day, pledge a fraternity, play sports, go out three times a week, and do a lot of other things…

Time is your most valuable, most precious, nonrenewable resource.

Please don’t waste any of it doing things you don’t enjoy.

I look at life as a really cool 4D 5-sense video game.

Completely open-world.

You can do whatever you want.

You create your own missions.

When you're facing a lot of monsters, challenges, difficulties, and enemies, that means you're going in the right direction.

When you make mistakes and are set back a little, you learn how to defeat those monsters better next time.

You never give up on your goals and you always play the game till the end.

You're always happy, even when you have to do really challenging missions and face really hard bosses that take many tries to kill.

You even have virtual trophies and achievements. That’s like your bucket list of really special memories and adventures: having sex in crazy interesting places, secretly blacking out in airports in Mexico over spring break, hotboxing cars, houses, hotels, sailboats, igloos, ice cream trucks, Etc.

I’m sorry but I have to cut this message a lot shorter than I want to.

I’m already extremely late to happy hour.

If you need any additional inspiring, I wrote a rap about entrepreneurship during my freshman year that you can listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3tWQnc92I

Have fun at graduation.

Gio Managadze.

Ex-Valedictorian of University of Maryland.

The College Dropout.

Self Made Entrepreneur.

What’s that? Facts.

These things happen when it’s dark out.

I Decided.

More life.

drat.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What the gently caress did I just read

What happens when Silicon Valley worship, multiple personality disorders, and cocaine are thrown in a blender together.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Krispy Kareem posted:

That family I mentioned before's oldest daughter let some random guy use her Uber account, which resulted in $150 in charges that overdrew her parents' account. The kid was 15 years old and that's the first time she realized her parents had no money. Like a real-life melodramatic over the top "you mean we're poor!?!!" moment.

On one side it sucks knowing about your family's bad finances because that causes all kinds of stress and worry for kids. On the other, it at least let's you know that your 'normal' isn't 'normal' and is probably not behavior to aspire to.

Maybe this is me being an old man yelling at clouds, but why would you let your 15-year old have an Uber account, let alone one linked to your bank account, and where is a 15-year old taking Uber for $150?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

By getting in the ground floor of the exciting business opportunity, her 15-year old sister will be able to retire at 19.

This could be you! Inbox me for details!

quote:

My Mom [46F] wants to sign me [25F] for her MLM company, threw a fit

My mom and I have always had a rocky relationship, since forever. She is also diagnosed bipolar, this is probably relevant.

So my Mom is no stranger to Multi Level Marketing Schemes (MLM). She asked me do to her a "favor" and test out some beauty products and take before / afters. Sure. Why not. So when I get to her house to pick it up, she starts trying to sell me on the company. I have absolutely NO desire to join in; I don't believe in MLM's, I think they are scammy and unethical. I told her this. She goes on to argue me on the subject, saying that all companies are MLM's (wat) and look how much money I could make, and hey! it's [only] 700$ to sign up!! Ha. No, seriously, not interested.

So she gets mad at me for saying no, starts going on about how she's giving me 250$ worth of product. Then she says that it's my birthday present (which is 5 months away). WHAT? I am doing YOU a favor. I'd rather have $250 for my birthday present, thanks!

Anyways. All is fine and I go home, talk to my boyfriend about it and he says I should just give her back the product and wash my hands of the whole situation. I thought this was a good idea, so I texted her saying I was no longer interested in using the product, and it upset me that she used a favor and somehow turned it into MY birthday present (which is besides the point but still irks me), and she loses her mind and stops texting back. OK WHATEVER. I leave it alone.

Today, I wake up to a notification and she tagged me and my best friend in a status about this product, which I promptly deleted from my page, unfriended her (immature, whatever) and blocked her. Texted my bff, apologize and tell her she can just delete it too. The thing that bothers me the MOST is that in that post, she says that she signed up my 15 YEAR OLD SISTER underneath her?! What the hell? How is this even legal..? OK you're an adult, waste your money and harass your facebook friends to sign up for some stupid company. I don't care, you're a grown-rear end woman, but I am so angry at my mom for signing my little sister up. So I texted my mom and got mad at her telling her it was sleazy and she basically laughed it off.

What do I do? My mom has generally been a point of contention for me and though I don't live with her, our relationship is generally pretty poo poo. She always jokes about my looks (negatively), and constantly compares us (weight, hair, etc). Part of me wants to rid my life of this negative energy but ...she's my mom. The other part of me feels extremely guilty for wanting to cut her out, because well, she raised me.

UPDATE: I messaged my little sister, with links explaining why pyramid schemes are bull, why this specific company is bull. My mom replied through my sister's phone and told me not to talk her out of it just because I can't see the value. Erggghhhhhh

tl;dr: Mom tried to sign me up for a MLM, did sign up my little sister [15F], what do I do?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Inherited IRA guy is painfully dumb and is getting taken advantage of because he is a man-baby.

He is turning 27, is starting his first job (24 hours a week), and is signing the money over to him mom because:

- She will take away his credit card and he doesn't want to apply for one in his name.
- She will let him move with her to the house she bought and charge him $600 a month for rent.

He could get his own apartment and pay $600 in rent, but that would require finding one and getting a lease. That could be hard because he just started his job.

He could also move in with a friend, but then he would have to figure out a way to get to work after his mom took the car away.

It's much easier to just keep doing what he's doing because if he loses his job, then he can fallback to doing what he has been doing for the past 5 years.

He's literally giving up 60k, that his father specifically left for him, for the privilege of being able to pay rent to his abusive mom because he is completely helpless.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Inept posted:

Yeah it's almost like abuse fucks with people or something

Agreed on that, but he says that she was not like this until he moved his girlfriend in (7 months ago) and it escalated once the money came into his possession (a month ago).

He was still a helpless man-baby before.

Like, even if you hadn't worked for the last 5-years you should at least have your own debit card at 27.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

curufinor posted:

I thought "on a freemium app" meant, "creating the app"

no, this guy spent $125k on the inapp purchases on clash of kings

Is he at least the king now?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My boss (makes approximately 104k per year) is currently complaining to her personal assistant (makes about 32k per year) that she is having a fight with her ex-husband (who she lives with to "stay together for the kid") about money.

She bought her daughter American Girl Doll pajamas - these are pajamas for her doll - for $240 and her ex-husband won't pay for half of the cost and wants to get her something different from him.

She is also fighting with him about cosigning for a personal loan for 20k to pay for the following for her daughter:

- 1 hour of private tumbling instruction a week
- Membership fee for a traveling tumbling/cheerleading team
- Uniforms and time with a professional choreographer (these are apparently required as part of the team)
- Travel expenses for the tumbling team
- Multiple pairs (for backups) of some kind of special cheerleading/tumbling shoe that apparently costs several hundred dollars.

Her daughter is 4-years old.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

She's now complaining that she is very upset that the tumbling team, choreographer, and personal tumbling instructor all require cash or check and won't take a credit card.

She wants her ex-husband to cosign the loan because she can't get a personal loan (even with 104k a year in income) because she has too much current debt.

Told her personal assistant (32k per year) that you can't have kids and live on her (104k) salary.

*HER DAUGHTER IS 4*

Who is going to a traveling tumbling/cheerleading competition (the team goes to meets once a month all over the country and travel expenses are part of the dues upfront) to watch 4-year olds other than the parents of those 4-year olds and wealthy pedophiles?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I eat out for lunch at work every day and for dinner a couple nights a week and almost never spend more than $9 a day on food.

$5 for a giant chicken gyro from a Turkish food cart is usually my most expensive meal.

A crossfit membership (one of the more expensive gym memberships) with at least 1 class per week is $170 a month.

The gym and food costs for that family are crazy and they are "trying" to be cheap and not actively splurging (by their standards). I don't know how that is even possible.

I could see it if he was of the "we have bad habits and like to splurge" mindset, but he says they literally can't figure out how to find a cheaper gym or lower food costs - even with a stay at home parent!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

LLCoolJD posted:

There's a huge difference between not taxing someone for something and giving free things away to people.

There literally isn't. A tax credit is just spending through the tax code.

How much money does a person end up with in each scenario?

A) I gave you a $100 shovel for free.
B) I gave you a $100 instant rebate for buying a $100 shovel.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My friend and her boyfriend (of less than 2 years) decided to buy a house together.

They put an offer in and got a house for $382,000. There was about 6 weeks between this and the actual closing on the house. During this period, they broke up because the boyfriend's ex had recently become single and she was the girl of his dreams. The ex indicated that she was sad that they hadn't worked out and wished they could have given it another shot. My friend's boyfriend dumped her to pursue his true love.

They would have lost about 11k if they decided to walk away from the house.

Instead, they are buying the house and moving in together after breaking up.

Neither of them can afford to pay their half of the mortgage and rent on their own and neither of them want to sell because "it's an up-and-coming neighborhood" and they'd be losing a lot of money.

They are going to "figure out the rules as we go along" and so far the only rule is that the new girlfriend (former ex) isn't allowed to move in. But I am expecting that to happen soon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The BWL aspect of this whole situation is that I'm pretty sure she still wants to get back together with him and that the house will help.

She basically thinks that he got scared of commitment from buying the house and that as long as he doesn't sleep with his ex (and she finds out about it) that he never really cheated or left.

Everyone told her not to go through with it, but when she did she kept waffling between "He just got cold feet! He'll be back!" and "I need to go through with it because I'll own half a house in an up-and-coming neighborhood and I can be financially independent! I'm doing this to stick it to him!"

For the record, the girl her boyfriend left her for was his girlfriend in high-school (10+ years ago) and cheated on him twice. Once on a band trip to Florida and another within two months of him going to college. They originally broke up when he was 20 and he is now 31.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

In another terrible personal BWM edition:

My youngest brother (26) went to art school and dropped out after a single semester in 2010. He wanted to become an "automotive photographer." He managed to accumulate 35k in student loans for this one semester.

Instead of paying back the roughly half of the student loan he wasn't using anymore after dropping out, he prepaid his rent for the rest of the year and bought a 2.5k Macbook because "you need one for art projects."

- He eventually sold the Macbook to help pay for a down-payment on a lease for a Crossfire.

- He got a job as a power-washer to pay off his student loans and dropped a metal hose nozzle onto his car from 30-stories up and had to turn in the car and pay damages on it.

- He has no car, so he decided that his new career was to be a "Vine Celebrity" and he bought a new 2k Macbook "for making vines."

- Vine shuts down about 3 months later.

- He sells the second Macbook to his friend for his non-running 1993 Tercel.

- He has not fixed it and decided to pay to have it fixed.

- It is going to cost about 4k and he doesn't want to pay that, so he decided to make money online again.

- He leased - yes, leased - a third Macbook to become a Youtube star. Apparently, Apple/Best Buy will lease you a Macbook.

- He just has his friends take him to car shows, he films them on his phone, and adds commentary like, "Wow, this is sweet. This is one of the nicest cars I have ever seen. The Bugatti is very expensive." Then uploads to Youtube.

- Why does he need a 3k Macbook for this? I do not know.

- He has been living with my parents, rent-free, for the last 7 years (after the aborted Art School attempt) and they want to retire and move to North Carolina soon. Without him.

- They recently demanded to know how much money he was actually making from his Youtube channel and apparently he has not even turned on the monetization option on Youtube because "I need to grow my fanbase and people skip videos with ads."

- He recently posted a meltdown on Facebook and tagged all the family in it. The post included such phrases as "When my dad told me that I needed to get a real job, he basically told me that he doesn’t feel what I’m doing is worthwhile and that I’m knowingly wasting my time every day." and "If I were to let their words get to me, I would be in a job that I hate right now and I would be miserable. But worst of all, I would be letting down my Youtube subscribers."

- He also mentioned that "Only failures and those who failed to dream have 9 to 5 jobs." and "My parents had to get 9 to 5 jobs, but each generation is supposed to do better than the last. I don't want to end up like them."

Needless to say, this has caused quite a bit of family drama. But all his friends on Facebook has gotten into the comments to post memes and actually argue with members of my family that they have a duty to support artists.

His Youtube channel had it's first year anniversary last month and he still has made $0.00 from it and plans to make that his sole income source.

Solice Kirsk posted:

How does someone jump through this sort of mental hoop?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost#Loss_aversion_and_the_sunk_cost_fallacy

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 5, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Last I checked he has about 1,000 subscribers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Krispy Kareem posted:

I feel like we're in for a M. Night Shyamalan twist where Leon Trotsky has multiple split personalities and all these stories are actually him. He just happens to have one really successful personality to bankroll all the bad ones.

It's more believable than him actually knowing all these people.

Growing up poor + social media = many BWM stories.

Working with many people who are either raised their entire life in poverty, only have a high-school degree, or both + the first point = An endless supply of BWM stories.

My family is a weird mismatch of potential and I don't make nearly enough money to bankroll their failures.

My one brother is a heroin addict, the other is an idiot (or as he calls it a ~*DREAMER*~), and I got two Masters degrees and was a lobbyist in DC until I quit to take a low-paying, but extremely cushy job in a low COL area. 21 days of vacation, a pension, and time to shitpost on SA for an hour or two a day is worth more than the salary and "prestige" of working 7 to 7.

I have another friend who went to Harvard and dropped out because he started dating a former Jehova's Witness who got him into cocaine. It is almost impossible to get kicked out of Harvard and he just came back next year and finished. He has been living in New York for 4 years working on "the next big novel" and hasn't finished it yet. He was on The Lampoon and got a job offer from B.J. Novak before he went crazy.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 5, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ate all the Oreos posted:

Also I really wanna slap him as hard as I can for the line "Only failures and those who failed to dream have 9 to 5 jobs."

gently caress you so much I know people who would murder for a stable 9 to 5 job

Thanksgiving/Christmas have been loving painful for the last 5 or 6 years because all the aunts and uncles I never see any other time of the year only ever ask us:

1) If you're dating anyone
2) When are you getting married?
3) How is your job/job search?

And it always results in a meltdown with my brother trying to explain how people are "literal millionaires" on Vine (now Youtube/Twitch) and he doesn't need their luck because he ISN'T TRYING to get a 9 to 5.

To tie this into the oldman/snapchat derail, I didn't really know what Vine was until my brother was crying about it getting shut down and ruining his life.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Holy poo poo, he's leaving literally TENS OF DOLLARS per month on the table, he needs to turn on monetization STAT!

(I bet 90% of those are follow for follow too.)

Doesn't Youtube pay you based on how many people watch ads and what type of ads they watch? What is the advantage to "follow for follow" subscribers?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 5, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

One of the comments scolding her says, "I have no idea what my wife makes, but I would be happy to find out she made 300k!"

I find that weirder than her insistence that it is "fair" for them to go "50/50" on a new car for her.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

WTF, no. Cohabitating people in a relationship are supposed to be on the same team about money. This kind of dishonesty is toxic. And people who are r/frugal type crazies categorize a lot of "needs" as "wants." Have you seriously never had anyone in your life who just refused to ever spend money on anything, ever? It's a pretty effective way of communicating that they think the people in their lives are worthless. Always have conversations about money, reach agreements about what kind of spending patterns you want to have, categorize shared necessities money and personal discretionary money, be adults about things. But marking literally every single expenditure on happiness or social bonding as "frivolous" is a good way of telling people you don't care about anything but money.

That is such a weird sexist assumption. He wouldn't even shell out for grocery money dude.

That doesn't mean he's automatically right? Money-hoarders can not "want" to pay for things like replacement batteries for the smoke detector or repairs for the car they use to get to work. Nothing she mentioned sounded at all abnormal, it's not like she was whining on Reddit that he refused to pay for her MLM startup kit (got tired of horse jokes).

The thing about frugality obsessives is they invariably discover they don't feel a need to pay for anything they can get someone else to pay for.

She didn't say "for her," she said "a new one." Replacing two unreliable old cars with one reliable new one can be very GWM.

Jesus christ guys, was this thread crossposted on redpill or something? A woman disagreeing with a man isn't automatically in the wrong.

She explicitly says in the comments that they have always split the bills 50/50 (including the grocery bill) and that she was upset that he didn't want to go 50/50 on a house or car and didn't go on vacations.

He didn't want to replace his car and she wanted to go 50/50 on a replacement for hers that they would use together.

I was just commenting on the weirdness of the commenter scolding her about relationship finances and then saying "I don't even know what my wife makes!" because that is weirder to me than her wanting to spend more money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

But if two people in a relationship make unequal amounts of money, 50/50 isn't a fair split. It should go by percentages, so the lower-income person isn't giving up nearly all their earnings to keep up. Lying to her like this took money out of her pocket, money it might have been a hardship to spend. Doing it 50/50 can also cause resentment on the higher-earner's side, because they feel held back by always having to make things fit the lower-earner's budget.

Again relationships are supposed to be a team, not a transaction. I hope they break up, because he treated her like poo poo. She's not a bad or greedy person for being upset.

A percentage isn't a fair split if you are both getting the same utility from something and already agreed to separate finances.

I agree the dude is dumb for not being upfront and they are both bad for never having an actual conversation about finances, but you can't just say "50/50 isn't fair. It should go by percentages."

She says in the comments that she makes good money and can afford to pay for all of her own vacations (and that she goes on several vacations a year) but that she is upset that he didn't want to go on vacations with her family because he "couldn't afford" to do so.

Also, if she is pushing to buy a house together before they are even married, then it is probably good that they never broached that subject.

She should be mad about him not being upfront about the reasons for not wanting to go on vacation (but honestly, is it fair to expect him to be excited to vacation with her mom and spend money to do so?) but saying "we should have had a house and gone 50/50 on a new car" is the biggest problem is wrong.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 6, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I can and I did, because life isn't beep-boop numbers on a spreadsheet, it's life. They aren't getting the same "utility" from their earnings if one person is devoting nearly all of it to necessities that are a rounding error to the other person.

They explicitly say that this is not the case in the comments.

She says the biggest problem is the lack of a house, vacation with parents, and new car.

She should be mad at him for lying about not wanting to vacation with her parents (maybe) but she says that the missed financial opportunities are the biggest problem.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, who cares if he's cheap, dude's a liar. There's the problem.

She also says in the comments that "he never actually lied" about his income and that the only time he said he "couldn't afford it" was the vacation with his mom. They just both refused to talk about finances at all and she is mad because they could have talked about buying a house, but she assumed that it wasn't something worth breaching.

She is upset at his cheapness/frugality and not the actual lying. That is the bad part.

She was explicitly okay with the arrangement until she found his bill.

The dude is lovely, but she is mad about the wrong things.

They aren't married, they agreed to split finances, and they have been dating and he has had this business for less than two years.

Yeah, "fair" was determined based on a lie. If I say "let's split the rent 50/50" that's "fair" until you find out the rent is much lower than I told you it was.

They agreed to split it 50/50 before he got laid off from his main job.

Dude is still lovely, but he has had this level of income for about a year and she is mad about the financial aspect of the mom vacation rather than the root issue.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 6, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

He already had the business at that point. And she's mad about the lying, he uses his finances as an excuse to get out of things like the vacation, that's bad. Why are you so invested in defending this dude?

And again, if they're sharing bills their finances aren't split.

Agreeing to have separate finances and split the bills 50/50 are not incompatible. It is extremely common.

Also, I agree that it is lovely. But "I can't afford to vacation with your mom" is a pretty easy excuse to use instead of "I hate your mom" and she doesn't care about that part.

They both suck. Any couple that is too scared to discuss finances for two years and then gets mad about undisclosed finances are not mature enough to be together.

I would never buy a house 50/50 or pay for half of my girlfriend's car if we agreed to have separate finances and weren't married. She says that the lie is not the major issue, it is the missed financial opportunities. That is wrong and dumb.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I might be using standard goon hyperbole, but I say the same thing about guys buying cars they can't afford. Which in my experience is a lot more common because cars are such a huge status symbol for men in their 20s.

Salt is a fair point. I live where we don't use salt, so cars last a long time.

Maybe don't call me sexist because the person that I'm ridiculing the same as I ridicule everyone else in this thread is a woman. If I was her, unless I completely misread and that was gross rather than net after business expenses, that relationship would be over.

I've lived in the Northeast and plenty of places that are salted for 4-5 months a year and the idea that someone would think that driving a 2008 model car is a punishment, even in the most inhospitable climate for cars, is still crazy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

:rolleyes: Never want anything different than your partner and then you'll never disagree. Bing bong so simple.

Oh hey look, yet another revision that makes the woman the villain.

I don't even care about the "snooping" but how plausible is the scenario of:

- I was cleaning your office
- I moved an envelope from the IRS and accidentally opened it
- I accidentally realized it was your tax return
- I accidentally unfolded your tax return
- I accidentally scanned it and looked for your schedule C to determine your pass-through income from your business

Pretty much every Reddit post tries to preempt the "snooping" accusation by stumbling across it in a wildly improbable accidental scenario.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Barry posted:

Remember when we started this new thread, all young and full of life, with the expectation that it would be a BWM only posting utopia? Moderation would be judicious, people wouldn't be dumbasses, life would be good. I miss those days.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6ftcgb/36_on_my_own_finally_not_sure_how_to_fix_my_own/

OP bought a car that was 100%+ of their annual income.

:shepspends:

Her post history also indicates that:

- She paid for nutritional advice and was convinced that she was only eating 900-1,000 calories a day, but she was gaining weight (she was 5 foot 4 and 250 pounds, but even the skinniest person is not going to gain weight on 900 calories. Also, it is not a good idea to only eat 900 calories.)
- She was asking reddit for career advice on how to break into the anime/manga writing industry as a 35-year old woman with no experience, but a lot of exposure to the product.
- Doesn't want to move back with her mom, because she is an atheist and her mom is religious.
- 70k in student loan debt, with no degree, for a private art school for video game graphic design
- Uses Uber Eats for food because going to the grocery store gives her too much anxiety.
- Doesn't like the idea of using medication or therapy for mental illness.
- Says she "needs" cable and a landline + cellphone.

I think she needs to get her mental health issues sorted and stop trying to argue atheism with her mom first and then worry about the rest. It would be bad if she was 25, but 36 is really late to deal with all this stuff.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shorted the S&P 500 and the rest of his individual stocks are all in gold/silver/mining.

His dad is probably subscribed to Infowars and the Ron Paul Newsletter.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CmdrRiker posted:

Wow, you actually went really deep into their post history.

I'm pretty numb to the idea of buying a car that is way out of a reasonable budget proportional to a person's net income. At this point it's even weirder when someone doesn't do that.

I'm numb to stupid car spending as well, but getting a car that is 120+% of your gross income (when you already have a paid off car) is still pretty impressively bad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not really anything good enough to post, but there have been 3 posts on /r/personalfinance in the last week that had people asking for advice about their 30-year fixed rate mortgage with interest rates between 4.8% and 5.3%.

How is it even possible to get an interest rate that bad? And why would you lock yourself in to a 5.3% mortgage?!?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Barry posted:

Are these for refis or new mortgages? Late 2000's, early 2010's, that would have been a reasonable rate depending on when you got it.

If it's for a new mortgage, they're getting boned.

New. First time home-buyers.

I know they are getting boned, but it is baffling that anyone would end up with a 5.3% mortgage. Even just a cursory google will tell you that it is out of the norm. Let alone 3 different people getting it and none of them bothered to ask if that was okay until AFTER they got their mortgage.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dick Nipples posted:

Are they standard loans or jumbo?

I've got a jumbo loan that's right at 4% but I'm re-financing later this year to get that poo poo down into the low 3s (unless the fed goes hog wild).

Standard.

2 of the 3 were for between 175k and 210k.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A 401(k) contribution is a choice and should be included in a budget/not deducted from your gross income.

Nobody is going to say, "I need help with my budget. My takehome pay is only 20k a year! (after taxes, health insurance, and 18k in 401(k) contributions)" is a realistic assessment of your budget and "takehome pay" situations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So Father's Day is coming up, and we need to get gifts for several men in our lives. I suggested to my wife that we dispense with the "try to guess what they want" bullshit and give cash, because receiving cash they have license to get a thing they wanted but we couldn't select. Everyone in our family thinks they're really good at selecting and giving gifts, and they're not - they're terrible and we accumulate crap like nobody's business.

She says it's insensitive, that people would be offended, etc. etc. etc.

Good with money or bad with money?

quote:

Economist Sean Snaith believes deeply, along with many in his trade, that gift-giving represents an inefficient reallocation of resources.

Liquid assets, they generally argue, are the most efficient gifts.

Economists have acted on that theory elsewhere on the calendar. Chad Moutray, chief economist for the National Association of Manufacturers, once bought his wife shares of the Dow Diamonds exchange-traded fund for Valentine’s Day.

There is little romance about the fund, which mimics the Dow Jones Industrial Average. But it was an efficient gift, he says — highly liquid; low expense ratio — and his wife liked the Diamonds.

“She appreciated the joke,” he says of his late wife, “and benefited from the rising stock value.”

But he experienced what economists call an unanticipated externality: “My female work colleagues were less impressed. They thought that I should have given the real thing.”

Joel Waldfogel, then at Yale University, calculated yuletide waste by asking 86 students to estimate the cost of presents they received. Average answer: $438.

He asked how much they would have been willing to pay for the same gifts. Average answer: $313.
Recipients valued gifts at 71.5 cents on the US dollar, a significant economic inefficiency.

Gifts, Mr. Waldfogel wrote, “leave the recipient worse off than if she had made her own consumption choice with an equal amount of cash.”

“We find no evidence of significant welfare gains in any gift category,” the paper concluded, calling gifts a “considerable market failure.”

“The efficiency loss of Christmas presents,” they concluded, “is highest for gifts from grandparents.”

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This might cross into GWM territory, but my boss is having an American Girl Doll theme for her Daughter's 5th birthday party and requesting pre-paid Mastercard and Visa giftcards only as gifts. Her daughter wants to go to the American Girl store and pick up a Doll and some clothes as her presents.

The Doll + 3 Outfits that she wants are about $650.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cowofwar posted:

I hope someone robs the party.

Not money-related, but she put the links to the dolls and clothes her daughter wants on the invitation. So, all the guests know exactly how much she needs and that they will be responsible for crushing her daughter's dreams if their gifts don't exceed that threshold.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cowofwar posted:

Is she poor or nouveau riche because she lacks a tremendous amount of class

She makes 104k per year and has a J.D.

To be fair, she wasn't like, "You will be crushing her dreams!" and was instead "These are the ones Addison wants. Here's the links, don't they look cute! We're going to The American Doll Store afterwards to get them for her. Just MC or Visa Giftcards as gifts for her to use, thanks!"

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 9, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Elephanthead posted:

Better be a kickin rad party.

She took off today and a half-day yesterday because she needs 72-hours to prepare it.

Hopefully, it will be.

(Fun Fact: The party is being catered by a local restaurant who will only be serving food from The Official American Girl Doll Cookbook.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ate all the Oreos posted:

Man every post seems to reveal a new layer in this onion of upper-middle class bland white girl toy purchases, anything else you can think of?

Nothing else exciting that is related to American Girls.

Her daughter is putting on a tumbling show for all the guests and the moms are having a "wine contest" where everyone brings the best bottle of wine they can and then picks a winner.