Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Virtue posted:

Why did you decide to inject race and gender into the discussion?

Because it basically doesn't happen to white men. It's so unheard of that the only advice I ever hear is to refuse to share your previous salary and to always negotiate for more money. "Hey, the worst that could happen is they don't change their offer." Yes, for us, that is probably the worst that would happen. For others...

(The story that kicked this off is apparently about a job at a public agency, which is a less common situation, but even there, their first response was conciliatory: "oh, you must have misunderstood, we can't give you an offer that high, so just accept something lower.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Droo posted:

This whole conversation started with a 28 year old guy trying to negotiate and losing the job an hour later. OP didn't specify the race, but it's a 28 year old guy telling a potential employer that his mom told him to ask for more money.

That's true. You'll find I said more true things about the incident a little further in my post.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I assume they don't hire too many women at Nice Young Men Incorporated.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I know a guy that subscribes to one of those pre-made meal services. He pays something like $10/meal for a fancy TV dinner. You could literally go out to eat at a local deli or chinese place for every single meal and it would cost less than that.

That depends on your area, sadly.

But even assuming equal price and nutritional content, meal delivery services and meal replacement shakes and bars all have the same problem: you're better off cooking. You're better off having the experience of cooking, just for psychological reasons, especially as a family. Too many families don't have the time to do it (also there are some treats which are best made at small-business-scale and then sold, like pastries or paella), but at root, cooking is something to optimize in to your life, not out.

It's a luxury, but so is taking a relaxing walk outside: everyone deserves to be able to make it part of their life

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Sundae posted:

Is there a name for these sorts of places? "Supermarkets with ugly food :haw:" doesn't seem like a good search string, and I'd love to find one in the bay area where I live a BWM life.

Well-supplied Feed and Tack stores sell ugly potatoes and carrots in bulk.

Ironically, they're expecting you to feed them to horses.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

Careful out there, gambling fans:

I love this card game; if only there were a way to play it which didn't cost $100 a hand.

How many therapy sessions would that money have paid for?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

The Koch brothers have enough money that they could spend their entire lives partying with the best champagne and personal chefs and finest hookers in a different exotic location every day, including the goddamn space station, and still leave an inheritance large enough for their entire family line to do the same thing for at least 10 generations to come.

They instead spend their time and money on making more money and convincing poor people to vote in ways that get them more money at the expense of basically everything else.

#liveyourpassion #minimalism #experiencesnotpossessions

e: a repugnant snipe! I'm looking for content.

e2: I love the laconic despair of this one:

My mom has 250k sitting in a CD getting .06%. Help.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 12, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

evobatman posted:

A doctor will write you a note that any animal of any species you want is your emotional support service animal for $250 after a short phone consultation. I don't remember the specifics, but it's come up on the forums before.

Almost correct: emotional support/comfort/anxiety animals do not qualify as service animals under the ADA, which means that technically, they can be forbidden from any business, just like pets. A doctor's letter isn't enough. If you can't tell them what tasks the animal is trained to do for you, you don't have a leg to stand on.

In practice, of course, people either aren't aware of this, or rationally choose not to make a stink, so a letter like that can go a long way. And it will always work on planes: for some reason, DoT/FAA rules say that emotional support animals with a letter from a licensed mental health professional are allowed on flights, period. So if you already have a pet and travel, I guess that could be GWM: just take Fido with you on your lap instead of buying a carrier and paying the luggage fees, or for boarding at a kennel.

I've actually seen someone with dog allergies be told that they'd have to take the next flight, and presumably hope that no one tries the same bullshit then too.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 17, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

It's Australia, son: they aren't making any more of it! (Thank god.)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Anyone who's blowing this much money homebrewing beer is going to be picky enough to want to do it decently, not like a keurig

Funny, I remember thinking the exact same thing about coffee and Keurigs. Here's hoping this time we're right.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dr. Chaco posted:

Yeah, my office has a Keurig and it's nice because on any given day, 0-3 people will want coffee, and they'll all want a different type.

In that kind of situation I would personally recommend spending the keurig money on an aeropress, a scale, a good grinder, and stocks of a couple of different roasts.

However! I was once in that exact setup, being exposed to the aeropress for the first time, and it turns out it's actually possible to be confused and afraid of the thing. Meanwhile, a monkey could probably independently discover how to insert pods and push buttons. And not even an ape, like a capuchin or tamarin or something.

What I'm saying is, some of us are dumber than monkeys so your office may already have the optimal setup.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Sic Semper Goon posted:

"I'm going to be paid millions either way and set for life, so it's none of my concern if the company tanks."

Yes, but this only applies if you're actually in the Executive Class, not just cargo-culting their sociopathy*.

*: hyperbole not diagnosis

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

theHUNGERian posted:

Assuming this person stays on the (self)exploitation career-track, what is the next step?

A call center.

In a prison.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

So not only are dogs cheaper to maintain, they will save your life after your horse fails to kill you.

I wouldn't call a dog an investment, but they're clearly the superior hedge.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

You'd have a bunch of old people that vote and bought their house 30 years ago marching in the streets if you tried to repeal it now, not to mention the news stories of people on social security now being unable to afford their property taxes. Not saying they shouldn't but there is no way this is happening.

Join us in the California politics thread to learn how your objections can be satisfied. :)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Putting the truck before the boat: not as good of an idea as you might think.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

canyoneer posted:

How are they going to avoid scurvy on long sea voyages?

I went to a very small liberal arts college on the east coast, and we had at least one case of scurvy diagnosed while I was there.

I've always assumed it happens all the time at universities, but just doesn't get reported.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

College cafeterias enable idiot children to eat like idiot children. This is not a new phenomenon.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

He wasted a tens of millions in exuberant idiocy. Do you need a crayon drawing?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

There's safety in redundancy; get a weekend horse and a daily rider.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Droo posted:

I would describe someone who makes 30k and tries to find marked down meat at Aldi as frugal, while someone who does the same thing and makes $300k as having a problem.

I don't know if I'd agree with that, but we may never know for sure, since anyone who makes vast more than their partner but accepts splitting costs evenly will be dead by my hand before a full psychiatric evaluation can be made.

E: iirc there were stories in the last thread about people consistently scamming their friends out of group checks and the like. Those people are bad, and this guy is at least as bad.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 6, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Amish-ish.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

If you're worried about your friends and family having too much crap, you could just do things for them or take them places instead.

Even if you give them an :spergin:economically inefficient:spergin: gift, don't forget to factor in the difference in marginal utility; all else being equal, if you have or make more money than them, any wealth transfer is positive-sum.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

At that point why not just have a kickstarter campaign that culminates in a party? Perhaps only people who pledge at the $25+ level get an invite.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

IIRC Blue Story was also an accountant.

"Please help my baby is dying."

Spend less on Star Wars toys.

"No."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What do you suppose this thread's response would be if someone posted "I consigned for a loan and I want to stop paying it"?

Impossible to guess without specifying the genderconsumption habits of both parties.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ixian posted:

Jesus.

I don't care how high your salary is, 130k+ for a single day is loving ridiculous. Christ, that kind of money would buy an incredible two-three week honeymoon all over the world and even *that* would be BWM.

It sure would; 130k would last for multiple years of luxurious world travel.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

potatoducks posted:

That's way over the top.

Business/first class tickets are ridiculously expensive. We're not even talking about private planes here.

A night at a fancy resort with an ocean view is at least $1-2k.

I don't know what your definition of luxurious is but I can't imagine that it involves flying in economy.

The average American wedding costs around $25k. When you take that into account, a wedding of $150k sounds almost reasonable for people who I bet make way more than 6x the average American.

Some of you guys have seriously limited imaginations.

I can easily imagine people spending that much, since we are discussing an actual time when they did. :confused:

eta: I don't get when people in this of all threads seem to take the position that spending a huge amount of money on stupid poo poo isn't being bad with it if you have a lot.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 13, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Golden State spent $200K on Champagne after winning the NBA championship last night. Pretty much all of it was sprayed in the air and went down the drain. I know they are a pro basketball team but still pretty BWM.

Forgive me thread, for I have sinned: when I read this post, I immediately began trying to rationalize the expense. :ca:

Photex posted:

what the hell is Ethereum? is it some new funny money?

I didn't see anyone answer you.

Yes, it is, with the added bonus of executable transactions. Instead of just saying "I offer .01 ethereum to any mining node which verifies this transaction: transfer 2 ethereum from my wallet A to target wallet B" you can write entire programs which automatically pay miners to run them, and of course which get hacked.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

At least we'll see big returns ITT.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

captkirk posted:

Moosebuger

Such a nice man. I'ma gonna give him the double-stitch anyway. Maybe she cost more, but she last forever! That'sa real good-with-money!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Bad With Spine if you sleep in one overnight, in my experience.

I'm told there's a trick to it. Supposedly you can do it indefinitely with no pain if, instead of resting on the "line" of the hammock, you kinda twist sideways a bit so your back is resting straight and flat across it. Like, make a thin X with your body and the hammock.

Then buy one with an integrated mosquito net and rain fly for $300 and live in it. :twisted:

(Offer valid only below the frost-line)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Virtue posted:

Humble brag posts are old and boring

And before someone jumps down my throat about the salary/mortgage ratio, if his dad is sitting on 250k liquid he can probably do whatever he wants and be fine. If anything it's more of a dad wants the property for investment reasons but will let junior pretend to buy it and be his own man.

They'll be fine, but my objection would not be the ratio, but my belief that the bay area is in one of the biggest real estate bubbles in our lifetimes and he's afraid of being "priced out" of it.

Quick, buy high!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I know people who regularly go on backhaul cruises to get work done, especially writing. That's when the cruise ships are just getting moved between ports. Backhauls aren't advertised as cruises: there are no stops, way fewer activities, and frequently the crew are all trainees. But the companies sell tickets to defray their costs. If you're interested in puttering across the ocean for a week or two with all your meals for $60 a day...well, it seems better-with-money than some resorts.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Nothing tastes as good as wealthy feels. :v:

But seriously, fitness is a luxury, just not a useless one.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Zo posted:

nobody brought up being fit, you know. there's a gigantic valley of "not fat" in between "fat" and "fit", which any fat person can get to by eating exactly what they currently eat except less of it, meaning no amount of mental gymnastics could turn that into a "luxury" in terms of money.

I brought it up. It seemed on-topic.

But since you'd rather just discuss being not fat: healthily reducing food intake enough to lose significant weight and keep it off is work. It's only worth almost everyone's energy. Even leaving out medical conditions, you need a degree of slack in your life to do it. (although of course, most people with the energy to post on discussion forums probably have the spoons to spare to get ripped)

"Luxury" isn't a pejorative for worthless things, class signifiers, or a perception of inflated prices, it just means something which isn't a necessity. Many luxuries are so cheap that we don't even notice their cost, and we wouldn't consider going without them...but there remain people in very lovely circumstances who are actually obliged to prioritize other things over their long-term metabolic health.

MMM (yes, I know) once remarked in a blog post that he really liked going to restaurants, because it's an insanely luxurious experience: people waiting on you hand and foot, bringing you as many courses as you ask of freshly-made dishes from around the world! He thought there was value in maintaining that perspective - in consciously de-normalizing the commonplace luxuries in our lives - and currently I agree. Right now I'm especially enjoying the luxury of hot water, having had to wait a few months for a heater to get replaced.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

This gives me the feeling they're trying to repackage Dave Ramsey advice for a different audience and this is exactly when they got to the church tithing stuff.

Oh, so literal self-worship. Excellent. Awesome.

My inner Sunday school teacher is crying.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

It depends on what you mean by "need" I suppose.

Hmm. Yeah, Maslow didn't call it the Hierarchy of Luxuries for a reason: if you're totally set at level X and below, you can still suffer from lack of level X+1.

Enfys posted:

Describing the long term consumption of too many calories as some kind of necessity rather than a luxury in itself is a bit backwards.

Not needing to worry about getting enough food is a luxury, the conscious control of how much food you get is another one.

But sure, I could be backwards. I shared my rationale so people could have more information to write off my opinion. :v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Motronic posted:

You can find them pretty easily by searching for the correct term. They are called "repositioning cruises."

I can believe that. :shobon:

The only site I know off the top of my head is https://cruisesheet.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

A derail bird picture that good invites follow-up questions which would themselves constitute a derail.