Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ornamented Death posted:

From the way you carry on that literally everything in the world is a conspiracy to keep minorities down, you should have had any number of non-profits lining up to foot your legal fees and/or a whole bunch of civic-minded lawyers ready to take the case on pro-bono (or on contingency).

Alternatively, you don't have the courage of your convictions to pursue these injustices and see that the guilty are punished, even when such injustices 100% directly affect you.

Or as a crazy third option, asking where someone lives is not, in and of itself, illegal and you knew, deep down, there was no case.

"Everything's okay as long as you don't get in trouble for it" - A Guy Super Mad Someone Dislikes Racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ranbo das posted:

The guy in question is from Puerto Rico and only moved to the continental US for college. He's definitely a minority. And if it's illegal for low skill positions, it would be illegal for high skill positions too :v:

I am having trouble finding words small enough to make this clear, so focus really really hard on sounding them out, okay?

It is always illegal. It is not always punished.

Improper hiring practices get punished when someone discriminated against has the means to not only hire a lawyer, but to weather the blacklisting they'll get from their industry for speaking up.

A company filtering minorities out at the resume stage rarely gets caught, because there's no proof without an investigation. A company saying/doing blatantly illegal things when hiring low-income workers rarely gets caught, because there's no proof without an investigation. A company saying/doing blatantly illegal things when hiring high-income workers sometimes gets caught, when the worker is in a position to risk pursuing it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

potatoducks posted:

Welcome to the thread!

Long time lurker?

Daily search for Tiny Brontosaurus posts?

General search for "racism", "sexism", etc?

I am always curious as to how people find this place when things start to go down the shitter.

She's a mod you loving moron.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ornamented Death posted:

Nah, I know it's bad. I don't even disagree with TB most of the time. However, when it's pointed out where she's wrong (it's not illegal to ask somewhere where they live as part of the interview process), she flips out and doubles down on everything. If she was so certain that the guy asking her that question was doing so to discriminate against her, she could have at least sought advice from any number of non-profits that exist to serve as watchdogs for such discrimination. Instead she threw up her hands and said "welp I'm too poor to fight this!"

Now, may very well have sough such advice and been told the case wasn't strong enough. That's a thing that could have happened! If so, she should have said so, and I'd have been like "wow, my bad for making bullshit assumptions, that sucks." Instead, she called me a moron and insinuated I'm a rapist.

It is illegal. It is. Multiple people have cited multiple sources showing you it's illegal. And you saying discrimination must be okay if the victim can't fight back is breathtakingly evil. You are human garbage. I know all you'll do is just continue your tantrum that some disagreeable facts snuck through your hood's eyeholes, but your attitude is psychotically inhumane and minorities are going to continue to get uppity and insist that crimes against them are wrong no matter how much you throw fits about it.

If you don't like being called a moron try not being so ignorant you veer into literal evil.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ranbo das posted:

Except if you read the other post I quoted, turns out there's a perfectly legal way to ask someone where they live and their rent/own status, which is what I was interested in.

Read the rest of the loving thread you loving idiot rear end in a top hat.

Droo posted:

This might be a crazy theory, but maybe there are reasons outside of your race and gender that come across in a job interview that make people reluctant to hire you.

Said literally every ignorant piece of poo poo to literally every protected-class job-seeker who spoke up about discrimination. Magical how nothing bad ever ever happens, nothing's unfair, people only get what's coming to them, the world is Just.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Barry posted:

Why can't we have nice things? Why can't you jackasses go to D&D or wherever the gently caress?

Oh I'm sorry I thought if I ever failed, even once, to stand up against discrimination that makes discrimination 100% okay? Goon logic says anything that happens to you that you don't fight back about is fine, right?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It seems that supermarkets could market a Blue Apron-like product that you pick up in stores for a fraction of the price.

Mine does! Everything's shrink-wrapped and looks like it's made of plastic, which is off-putting enough that I haven't tried it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

Are CSAs BWM? Looking for a pre-emptive judgment.

Not if you really like vegetables, aren't picky about what you get, and have a lot of mouths to feed. Otherwise you'll slowly be buried in kale.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Residency Evil posted:

I don't think Blue Apron is inherently BWM. You're paying for the luxury of not having to think too hard about what to cook, good ingredients, a wide variety of food, and not having to spend time at the computer finding recipes, making shopping lists, and spending too much time at the supermarket.

Yeah it's not my thing but when weighing the expense you should think of it as an alternative to takeout, not an alternative to cooking from scratch. It seems like most people try it once or twice to build up enthusiasm for cooking and then go off on their own anyway. As cooking classes it's pretty cheap. Probably not a sustainable business model without loyal customers though.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

monster on a stick posted:

You don't like blueberries? Monster.

I always got kale. Lots of lots of kale. This is before the kale craze where people make kale smoothies, kale chips, kale toast, etc.

I have a strong theory that CSAs are what started the kale craze. People fighting their way out of kale avalanches armed with nothing but a blender.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Alright here's a food/money question - how the gently caress do those $1/day food budget rice and bean people eat any FRUIT? My coworker is super smug about how he and his wife spend less than $150 a month on food and I have no clue how you would ever consume anything fruit-like on that budget.

They mostly don't, the rice n' beans people (who are usually prescribing that for others, not doing it themselves) don't bother to think about what's needed for a healthy diet. If you're actually rice & beans poor you just hope things get better before you get sick from malnutrition.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ethnic markets can be good for produce deals too. Frustratingly, farmer's markets aren't, at least inside a city. I go every week and every week I'm surprised anew that the produce costs 4x what it does in the store across the street.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TheAsterite posted:

Have you tried not supporting cheap/slave labor for once?

There's depressingly no reason to think the food at my farmer's market isn't picked by slave labor. Maybe yours is better.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ixian posted:

MLM kind of transcends BWM to its own level of stupidity.

Is there any feasible way to ban MLMs?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I wonder why MLMs are able to persist with the "you have to buy $5000 worth of inventory to start your business" bullshit in the age of extremely cheap next day fulfillment from Amazon et al

You gotta spend money to make money :downs:

MLMs are pretty much metastasized puritan work ethic. You're guaranteed to get rich if you work hard enough. All those people who failed were just quitters.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
On that note it's "balk" and not "bawk." One of the many lessons baseball has taught me. :pseudo:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Puns are BWL :colbert:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ate all the Oreos posted:

To be fair I mentioned the turkey story and my stupid turkey puns to my wife and she just said "turkeys don't bawk that makes no drat sense :colbert:"

Yeah! Marrying well is GWL :3:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
In a shocking twist, an MLM is run by assholes: LuLaRoe losing consultants

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

No Butt Stuff posted:

Wanna drop this in the local mom's facebook group like a grenade.

Do it

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey, make fun all you want, but at least he's solved this problem:

quote:

How to stop feeling bad from winning in poker (self.poker)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Krispy Kareem posted:

The kid she gave the Uber info to rode around with it for like a week or two. Hence the $150.

What a little rear end in a top hat

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cockmaster posted:

Well, what does he expect them to do when they already have three kids? I'm pretty sure most cultures frown upon giving kids up for adoption just so you can retire in your '40s.

As for horses, that's actually the big criticism many people have with his blog. Speaking out against wanton consumerism is good. Implicitly defining "wanton consumerism" to include any hobby more expensive than yours (even if one can easily afford it) is bad.

Yeah and he has some advantages that aren't universal, like living in a location/climate that allows him to live car-free relatively easily. His advice would be "just move," which is both not cheap and structurally impossible once you hit tragedy-of-the-commons adoption rates. And then of course there's the ablebodiedness to be able to bike everywhere, and the good luck to have a healthy family that doesn't need expensive medical care. And he makes like 400k a year, so doing well financially is actually not that much of a feat.

Frugality can become an obsession like anything else and it has the unfortunate side effect of turning people into assholes. I've had a lot of fun nights out ruined by friends circling the block waiting for a free spot to open up instead of just paying a few bucks for parking and getting on with enjoying life. Money is a tool for obtaining security and pleasure, and after a certain point saving becomes hoarding.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Suspicious Lump posted:

preeetty sure that's satire.

I don't think anybody says "the good people of" unironically anymore. Pretty sure Scudworth's on the trolley

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

paragon1 posted:

They need a union real bad.

They do, but even ignoring the general anti-union sentiment in this country, it's particularly hard to unionize workers who have short careers. We really need a nationwide marketing initiative for the "gently caress You, Pay Me" movement.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LLCoolJD posted:

Bob Barker's Beauties on The Price Is Right have had more luck protecting their interests than NFL cheerleaders, but I suspect that many of them (the NFL cheerleaders) still do alright. Former Virginia Governor McDonnell is married to a former Redskins cheerleader. On topic: they were prosecuted in federal court for being BWM/ethics!

Yeah pro cheerleading sort of functions as a weird finishing school for professional Babes. A lot of them go on to do spokesmodel stuff, kind of like beauty queens. A lot of overlap between those two groups probably.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

That the most profitable sports league in the world can't find a small but respectable salary to pay its cheerleaders is just another symptom of the general societal disease that is the NFL. There is basically nobody the NFL owners will not actively gently caress over for money: players, local governments, and cheerleaders

BWM: Not shelling out for the only known recording of the first instance of your marquee sporting event

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/03/sports/football/super-bowl-i-recording-broadcast-nfl-troy-haupt.html

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

It's actually exquisitely GWM because the recording is not honestly worth very much in terms of commercial broadcast income (i.e. the absolute only thing the NFL gives a gently caress about) and their threats to enforce their copyrights effectively prevent a third party collectors market from existing. They don't want to be extorted for film of their event and they don't want the owner to profit off its sale, either.

Well it's BWHistory then :colbert:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Weatherman posted:

lol

won't someone think of the poor multi-billion dollar corporation non-profit?

:eng101:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hyrax Attack! posted:

This article isn't humorous but does offer an interesting look at the hopelessness of generational disability and the accompanying poor education leading to bad-with-money.

Real life Dril is scary:

"Generations, disabled. A family on the fringes prays for the “right diagnoses” http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/lo...m=.04583a500fba

Christ this is bleak. Disability effectively functions as mincome for a wide swath of the country, and I don't begrudge them that at all, but what a hellish life. I don't even really see a "candles" in their budget, since even cable TV doesn't seem like an extravagance when you've got nothing else to enjoy in life.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm confused how $600/month for electricity breaks down (as someone who's only ever paid electricity bills for apartments with 0-2 roommates) but I'm guessing that has a lot of stuff rolled in with it.

I'm with you though, I wouldn't blame someone for taking literally any escape possible from that. Stuff like the one twin eating ramen noodles microwaved with a bunch of hot sauce for every meal and that not even being a concern when he isn't having violent stomach pain absolutely destroys me.

The article says that's with some late payments, and the fees for that get steep. If it's trash, water, & power all combined like is common some places it could easily be over a hundred a month even if they don't have AC.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LLCoolJD posted:

No comment needed?

Was a horse driving?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

:haw:

Looks more like a lakehorse though. Pondhorse?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LLCoolJD posted:

There's a huge difference between not taxing someone for something and giving free things away to people.

To put it in the parlance of this thread, it is the difference between giving someone a free horse and refraining from taxing a horse owned by someone who paid for it in full with their own bad-with-money fund.

That's a difference we created culturally though, specifically so you would feel that one group of people deserves their free government money and the other group doesn't.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I see what you are saying but in my mind it is just journalism to point out that among the many things occurring in the lives of these people are four divorces at age 55, prescription opiates filled before utility bills are paid, and $300 cell phone bills.

I think the bills are mostly high because they're late. Not ideal, but not the same BWM as having a plan that's actually that expensive every month. The divorces and the opiates are just sad, and one of those things that seems easy to avoid in theory but in practice probably isn't.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

sparkmaster posted:

Simple BWM: New coworkers (seasonal employees just came on) complaining about not being able to buy groceries until their first paycheck comes in. Then, not 10 minutes later, making reservations at a local dive to have dinner. I fear that all the money they make this summer will vanish into terrible food and expensive alcohol.

That is the joy of being a seasonal employee.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Krispy Kareem posted:

If you're unmarried with kids, you are over four times as likely to be poor.

Can't blame her. She was just trying to avoid becoming a statistic. Four separate times.

They're religious too so she might have a stronger feeling that a serious relationship should be a marriage

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Krispy Kareem posted:

Spouses abandoning one another was higher in the Great Depression, which certainly made the kids worse off. The Great Depression was an outlier in that you could do everything right and still be really poor.

There have been studies that break down not being poor to 3 or 4 factors. Finish high school, don't do drugs, and wait until marriage for kids (or stay married if you have kids). You manage all three of those and your likelihood of poverty is exponentially less. I don't know if this lady finished high school, but she failed on at least two out of three.

And before this becomes a debate about personal responsibility versus institutional poverty - government programs that encourage kids not to drop out, get pregnant, and do dope are also more effective in reducing poverty.

Come on, if you want to call doing drugs a "choice," I disagree with you, but whatever. But you have no idea who left who. That's just lovely. A father can leave whenever he wants and trust that society will just scold the mother for being single.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zo posted:

i think I'm finally getting old enough to lose my grasp on new technology because i have no idea what that person is buying in that post and how time/area factors into Snapchat filters

Remember how in the 90s the really swank suburban weddings would get custom disposable cameras made that would print like, "Dan and Jenny's Wedding!" all over the photos? Like that, but for Snapchat. It's geotagged so it's not available for just anyone to clain they were at your party, just people inside the 20k-square-foot exclusivity zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, SA is really demographically weird. I don't have much use for Snapchat but I know what it is. I know what lots of things I don't use are.