Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah it's cutie pie but pew like pew pew gun.

:barf:

Holy poo poo, so that's why it is pronounced like that.

On a related note about BWM and PewDiePie-- being publicly anti Semitic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This makes me sad. They're 30. A normal middle-class lifestyle with a home and the occasional vacation isn't supposed to be unattainable, certainly not such a ludicrous thing that we're scolding someone for even thinking of it.

There's also a thing that's pretty common with people who make very little money and don't have any hope of ever making more - you're never going to be rich so why not enjoy life once in a while? It's so, so easy to judge, but honestly what are poor people supposed to do? The money saved from never having a moment of happiness will never amount to enough to lift them out of poverty.

Not really talking about this couple so much as the general attitude about what's "BWM" for low-income people. Budgeting can make a middle-class life better, but it can't make poverty not poverty.

BWL Now I'm sad too.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

I don't understand the derail birds. Isn't unravelling all of the biased judgements we're making about other people's BWM choices part of the fun for this thread?

ohgodwhat posted:

Today I learned it's BWL to imply that a woman has any culpability for anything

How clever of you and exciting for me that you feel safe enough to post that piece of unhelpful passive aggressive tripe.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Her post history also indicates that:

- She paid for nutritional advice and was convinced that she was only eating 900-1,000 calories a day, but she was gaining weight (she was 5 foot 4 and 250 pounds, but even the skinniest person is not going to gain weight on 900 calories. Also, it is not a good idea to only eat 900 calories.)
- She was asking reddit for career advice on how to break into the anime/manga writing industry as a 35-year old woman with no experience, but a lot of exposure to the product.
- Doesn't want to move back with her mom, because she is an atheist and her mom is religious.
- 70k in student loan debt, with no degree, for a private art school for video game graphic design
- Uses Uber Eats for food because going to the grocery store gives her too much anxiety.
- Doesn't like the idea of using medication or therapy for mental illness.
- Says she "needs" cable and a landline + cellphone.

I think she needs to get her mental health issues sorted and stop trying to argue atheism with her mom first and then worry about the rest. It would be bad if she was 25, but 36 is really late to deal with all this stuff.

Wow, you actually went really deep into their post history.

I'm pretty numb to the idea of buying a car that is way out of a reasonable budget proportional to a person's net income. At this point it's even weirder when someone doesn't do that.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

BWM IRL: I just got back from a coffee shop where two men, one middle aged and one young, were openly colluding on some kind of sports gambling scheme involving bitcoin and IP blockers and making numerous ten dollar bets to hide something from the bookies. If anybody knows more about gambling I'd love to hear speculation about what the hell they were trying to pull.

Seems like they are trying to anonymously and artificially inflate the odds for a big payout.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

So serious question here. How many people would be interested in doing a sort of BWM themed "Advice" book where we all take a specific chapter (investing, day trading, mortgages, etc) and write just the worst ideas we have about them and try to get it published by a reputable publisher under a pen name?

Make sure you work in how to build up your TRUCK EQUITY.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

ego symphonic posted:

It's difficult to be hyperactive when you have a spinal injury.

The end justifies the means.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

BWM: Not capitalizing on a MLP movie years ago when it was at the height of its popularity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeQe_mZcyf8

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

19 o'clock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwD6SCAENx4

Hey, at least he's insufferable, too!

EDIT: Ha! I forgot he has a Tesla. Several layers of BWM.

I get that he is deducting a lot of capital expenses for his business which seems legal, but can someone explain how he thinks he can deduct his divorce fees and mortgage?

He stated in his video that he deducted his divorce because his divorce settlement involved sharing business assets with his ex-wife? WHAT?

And since he films in his house, he can deduct the whole mortgage? WHAT? I guess you can deduct some of your mortgage if you have a space dedicated to your work, but.. WHAT?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

MisterOblivious posted:

He didn't just say "TurboTax never explained it to me," he asked reddit if he could sue TurboTax.
https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/726g5m/turbo_tax_screwed_me_over_wa/

"I tried to claim my divorce as a business expense since she was trying to take my business from me, common sense. " "She was trying to take my business from me. That's a legitimate Business expense."
https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/726g5m/turbo_tax_screwed_me_over_wa/dng82rb/

https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6yox5p/irs_auditing_me_for_the_past_three_years/
https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/726g5m/turbo_tax_screwed_me_over_wa/

These links help me understand his language a little better, thank you.

He is so incredulous about his tax deductions. When does it stray from ignorance to criminal tax fraud/evasion?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dear lord, how is "my ____ wants me to take the loan out and have it in their name" so common in these posts? Have any of you been asked this by family? I seriously can't even imagine it.

Big fan of this bit, too:

When I was 16 my mother made me take an auto loan (which she cosigned) to purchase her friend's car (that her friend could no longer afford) to sell to my brother (he made the payments on the car loan every month).

I haven't spoken to my mother since moving out.

edit: Actually, I'm not sure if my step dad actually cosigned it. My mother has always had such awful credit so my adult brain thinks it is very strange that she would be cosigning a loan for me.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 28, 2018

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Suspicious Lump posted:

Anyone got experience "investing" with family? I'm 1 of 7 kids, 5 of us have grown up and are married/have full-time jobs.

My father has these insane ideas. One of the first was that everyone chips in to buy house for the eldest son (gently caress you) and then we'd somehow take turns all the way down. Sister #5 would need to wait >20 years by my extremely optimistic calculation. No mention of inflation or location or anything else. At one point he thought buying land/apartment/something in Turkey was a good idea.

Now he's come up with another idea: we all chip in to buy my brother and sister (both married with kids) a two-store house and divide it up into separate living areas (like apartments) and make them pay discounted rent. This isn't too bad of an idea, until you dig deeper. "Who's going to own the property" and "how much rent do they pay" and "what happens to the rent (and why discounted???)". Everything falls down into NoWay territory really fast. I usually respond with "I got no savings Pa".

But it got me thinking that with our numbers, we should be leveraging our collective earning power to invest. Except my family doesn't deal with interest/loans at all (crazy fuckers), which makes things considerably harder. Also anything related to interest is a haram.

Yeah, you're essentially starting down the path of starting some sort of small business with your family. Whether a family real estate business or family hedge fund, I'm not sure.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

If that's what it is like purchasing the car, then I don't want to know what it is like getting the car serviced.

Vox Nihili posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9cyc0p/loan_amount_of_3k_but_i_only_need_1500_what_do_i/?sort=top

Loan Amount of $3K but I Only Need $1500, What Do I Do With the Rest?

Hello all!

(Background - I am a 21 year old college student living on campus. My monthly loan payment is only $106/month with no penalty of early pay-off and a reasonable 15% interest rate thanks to my moms perfect credit score of 850 lol. I don't really need "you should have done this or that" or "Man you're getting screwed on this loan" type of stuff. All I ask is you please keep it relevant to the questions I am asking. Thanks!!)

After my laptop ended up being stolen I was forced to take out a loan to buy a new device for school. I have more or less decided upon an iPad Pro setup that will total around $1600 for everything I would need. My loan through wells fargo had a minimum loan amount of $3000 being the lowest you could borrow. With this setup I have in mind, it kind of leaves me with a lot of left over money. My question is, what should I do with the left over money? Should I use the excess to put right back into the loan and pay it off quicker? Or can I use the money towards hobby's and passions of mine that also need funding. My parents think I should just keep the money since it was already loaned to me and just use it on what I need, not necessarily splurge on hobbies. My S.O. is more leaning towards putting most/all of it back into the loan to pay it off early, and I want to use about 2/3 of it on my hobbies and put the rest back towards the loan. It's weird because I feel like what I want to do is super not adult like and irresponsible, but at the same time, they already gave me the money so what's the problem in using it all?

Thanks in advance! Any questions or clarifications needed, just let me know!

Whoa, we need to know what this guy's hobbies are. We can't expect anyone to give him sound advice until we're playing with the full deck of cards here.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 5, 2018

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Real comment from OP: "Hypothetical scenario -- I lose my job and am unable to pay the mortgage for a few months at least. What happens in this case?"

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

This guy admitted to $190k in debt and then says "We are buying property from my grandparents for our starter place." Dude, you're going to be in debt for over a quarter of your adult life. Perhaps longer.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

Dude is def insane, but I'd bet probably 80% of people in the US at least live in debt from 18 (or earlier) to the grave.

Vox Nihili posted:

I mean there's certainly a distinction to be drawn between someone technically "in debt" but managing it fine (pretty much everyone has a loan, mortgage, etc.) and someone struggling with crippling debt and making it worse.

My criticism was more about the psychological implications of being in major debt but still feeling entitled to move beyond a "starter home." I might be reading too much into what "starter home" means to them, but it definitely feels as though he thinks he will be able to afford a "better home" in the near future.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone at my office yesterday pulled a GWM by being BWM.

I was talking about what a bummer it was that they were not going to restore some matching to our defined contribution plan because only around 8% of people even contribute more than $0 per year.

The guy told me that he was sad as well, because he is one of the 8% that use it. He said that everyone who doesn't is going to be screwed when they try to retire if they don't contribute to their own defined contribution plan, but that the new Roth option was a scam.

He contributes as much as he can because social security and pensions are all going to go broke and disappear in the next 20 years. By contributing as much as he can, he reduces the "taxable income" box on the W2 and that means he pays less money into the pension plan and social security that will disappear soon.

I told him that our pension and social security are not funded through the income tax. He said that he knew that, but by reducing the "taxable income" part of the W2 you reduce the percentage that the government can take for social security and pensions.

"I'm going to shove as much money into pre tax retirement accounts to lower my income tax margin and contribute less to gov't retirement plans that will disappear in a few decades." Like.. that's good but why would you think about it like that?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Some of my older coworkers are very very lucky the company auto-enrolls everyone in a 401k plan that auto-increases their annual contributions by 1% of their pay each year (up to 20%). It’s a good plan with tiny fees and generous company contributions based on how much you are putting in.

You can opt out or not have it auto-increase, but most don’t do that. Based on the blank expressions of these coworkers when asked anything about their retirement plans, having it set up this way by default is likely saving hundreds of retirees from poverty.

So contributing to pre tax retirement accounts because it lowers taxable income is not odd because people are more likely to not think about contributing to their pre tax retirement accounts at all? I can't follow any of this to its logical conclusion.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

CornHolio posted:

Can that be harassment? Sleazy yes, but I thought for something to be harassment he had to be told to stop, and then continue anyway.

Granted there is likely a lot more here than he's telling.

Did you read the same thing that I just read? "I told her that with a body like hers, I'm surprised she doesn't have 10 because I sure would give her 10 and I laughed"

Let's go over this again. He is physically checking her out and making lewd comments about her body. Then he is saying that he is surprised that she doesn't have more sex with her husband and if he were her husband than he would have so much sex with her that it would cause her to always be pregnant and having babies.

That's going a little far. It is very surprising that more alarm bells are not ringing.

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's so much that's not being told in that story.

You don't get a whole company banned from a hotel for a couple of crude remarks.

If this is a genuine and factual recount of what happened, then it is completely reasonable that you would fire someone for described sexual harassment. Especially with how completely unaware of he is both during and after the events transpired.

Phanatic posted:

There's "harassment" as a crime under the law, which this almost certainly didn't rise to the level of, and there's "poo poo that can get you fired by a company that doesn't want to be associated with your creepy drunken antics."

This is 100% harassment. If it is this hard for everyone to understand harassment, then would not want to be at a cocktail party with anyone on this page.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 11, 2018

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

If any of this is true then we're getting a sanitized version from him, so yes you're probably right in how serious this was. This was the most sympathetic he could make himself sound and he sounds horrible.

I'm just amazed it got this far. There are multiple stages in this sequence where the issue could be deferred or defused. You have to roll snake eyes a bunch of times to reach this end result.

Uh, actually it is very possible that this is not a sanitized version. This could very well be a real person experiencing real events that left them crying on reddit about how unfair their life has become because they kept innocently complimenting a woman.

People really look past these situations of harassment with that much indifference. This is something that women frequently deal with. Men can really NOT understand exactly how cut and dry sexual harassment is and how serious the consequences are, as evidenced by this post.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Something Offal posted:

Haha it's not a real story. At this point I would be really surprised if it were real.

I don't understand the argument of this not even being a real story. Does that make the harassment OK? What are you trying to accomplish with this statement?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You don't have to come to the defense of the m'lady because she's not real and the thing didn't happen

The harassment is neither OK nor unacceptable because there was no harassment. Like how the poor peons in that Penny Arcade comic weren't actually raped to sleep by the Dick Wolves

By that logic, all of these stories are GWM and BWM because there is insufficient evidence that they actually occurred. I am now left with a hard time understanding what you could possibly find so entertaining about this thread.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Barry posted:

I find myself asking that very same question more and more these days.

I try to hold out for another gem like TRUCK EQUITY.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Moneyball posted:

I'm thinking of opening up a BFC Off-Topic/Derail thread, sort of in the same vein as whoever started the college tuition costs thread.

We have a newbie questions thread as well as a incremental improvements thread, but not something specifically off-topic that could help take that out of the BWM thread.

Thoughts?

I think it is reasonable to have organic reactions to socially controversial behaviors within the thread itself. And if that's too much to ask then my second argument is sexual harassment is essentially BWM because it is bad for employment and other potential revenue sources.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Inept posted:

Derails can be tedious, but nothing annoys me more than people who turn posts into stories about themselves and how good they are with money. I say that because wedding post

Forget affording the wedding, how are they able to make that relationship work? How does 4 credit cards and 22k in debt wed 0 credit cards and 0 debt? Those are two very different lifestyles.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

e: https://www.reddit.com/r/ChoosingBeggars/comments/9fhtsu/bridezilla_is_upset_her_friends_wouldnt_spend_3k/

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 13, 2018

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Bird in a Blender posted:

Sounds like a lot of people are going to be very happy when she unfriends 133 people and cuts them out of their lives.

Those friends even taught her a good life lesson. Adding cheaper options to your wedding registry is BWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I think there have been some fake bridezilla troll posts floating around recently

lol, I give up with this thread.