Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Devian666 posted:

She could have looked at it as working for 60 more days for $270k + full pay. Maybe $5k per day of work. Seems like a good reason to stay on for two months.

Well, it's $270k over 18 years starting whenever she turns 62. $15k a year, paid out around 30 years from now, is worth something like $30k in todays money. I didn't run that through a calculator, that's just my recollection. I have a pension that's worth about the same, and there was talk of a buyout, so I ran the calculator about a year ago.

Either way it's a poor decision, but it's not really hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

That poor kid (and he is a kid, don't forget) is mega-hosed for at least the next few years, because that insane screed is going to show up in any employer screening. That reads like one of my journal entries when I was on ambien.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Jan posted:

It's okay, he shouldn't be audited because he didn't lie, he just didn't know about the law:

owned

Ah the Dave Chapelle defense. I'm sorry officer, I didn't know I couldn't do that.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

KingSlime posted:

there's definitely different types of "intelligences" yeah but there are far too many people who push this narrative of lazy genius that makes me suspect our understanding of "intelligence" in the US is quite shoddier than it should be

our culture downplays consistent effort and willpower to a stupid degree in favor of this nebulous "ur so smart," and it isn't helping anyone

This is a serious pet peeve of mine. There's a romanticizing of "genius" and it's pushed by TV/movies, and it lets people off the hook on both sides of the supposed genius spectrum. Anyone that's good at something at an high level has dedicated serious amounts of time to get there.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

joebuddah posted:

This seems like the best place for my question.

There is a new bank of America commercial about sending money to friends. In this commercial people seem to have trouble figuring their part of the bill.

Do restaurants in large cities not do separate checks? The ad makes it seem like figuring out what your part of the bill is super hard. What am i missing?

So basically Venmo

Venmo is convenient, it's an easy way to split checks when you don't want to have five separate checks or whatever, it's good when there's a cash only place and you don't have cash. I love Venmo

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Children posted:

Most people straight up do not learn about money, how to budget, or what it takes to survive with any standard of living in old age, and aren't forced to learn until they're at best a couple years from retirement. Is it any wonder that we have half a generation of destitute olds, independent of the fact that a good chunk of them never had the means to save for a significant retirement anyway?

I think that younger generations are better at it than older generations regardless of means or wealth, because we have been forced to be bettter, and because the tools are better. My parents are doing fine, and they're a couple of years away from retirement and they're just now learning about retirement finances, and boy howdy are they loving lost. I'm trying my best to slip them nuggets of advice but I'm their son so they won't ever listen to me re: money. It's actually loving mindblowing that they can't answer simple questions such as: how much money do you need to live for a month/year? Retirement is all gut feels for them. The idea that you can at least make an attempt to quantify your expenses, and then from there, quantify how much money you should have saved, and how much you might expect that money to reasonably grow, is wizardry. It's more like, bow your head to god, sacrifice a raven, spread the entrails, hmmm, yes, we need $1.7M. Wait we want to "travel", consult the eye of the raven. Yes, yes, we need $2M. Where do you want to travel mom and dad? For how long? Oh we don't know.

It's also way easier to track this poo poo with no effort now, but it's a matter of understanding what's available to you. You can use Mint or Quicken and track all of your expenses and it's so easy. Back in their youth, if you wanted to track your expenses, you had to keep loving paper records like a maniac, scrawling expenses in ye expense bookke like a 17th century Italian merchant. These are also the same financially illiterate people that tried to convince me to buy a house at 25, right in the heart of the bubble, because "houses go up in value", and renting is "throwing away money". Investing the extra money I would have spent on a mortgage doesn't "make wealth" because stocks can go down, a lot. It's just lack of understanding.

Arbitrary age doesn't make generations, major events make generations. We're products of having the internet at our fingertips at all times and the financial crisis. I don't blame my parents for any of this because they're good people that come from a different era and they don't really understand the world today.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Plane chat reminds me of my childhood and a BWM conversation I just had with my parents.

They passively aggressively blame me and my sister for them not starting to save for retirement until later than they should have, probably somewhere around their late 30's.
After the mortgage and feeding two kids, we didn't have any money! Times were hard! My fathers hobbies during my childhood included: building a plane (that was never finished), fly fishing, and building computers. This was in the early 90's. I remember dad dropping hundreds of 90's dollars at any computer show we went too. We also had a new car every two years. You could probably count pool and deck building as a hobby too, given the number of different things constructed in the back yard over the years. I think it would have been cheaper to just actually light money on fire for fun.

And hey, building planes and computers and going on fly fishing trips is cool, but man, I roll my eyes so hard it hits my brain when they cry about how broke they were, as gainfully employed engineers, for a giant corporation, for 10+ years at the time.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Hoodwinker posted:

I think the assumption by most of the people on the planet is that finances are somehow a separate beast more complicated than simple arithmetic, partially because the financial industry has done such a good job of selling that story for a thousand years.

Yeah, it's that. Instead of thinking of finances as a bunch of numbers, which it is, it becomes some kind of modern version of a wizard with chicken entrails that can see the future.

Thank god my parents finally went to Vanguard, to pay a wizard to tell them a dumbed down version of what I've been telling them for the last five years. They fought me tooth and nail when I asked such hard hitting questions as, "how much money do you spend a month", and hit them with such galaxy brain concepts as "you can figure out how much money you need for retirement, if you know how much you spend in a year". But a financial wizard can give them sage advice like "the market will go up, but also down", and "you can retire in two years, you have enough", and they're sold. Oh well, at least they don't stress out about it anymore.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Space Gopher posted:

Understanding all the details and theory isn't easy, but it's possible to learn enough to start effectively saving for retirement in a few hours. You don't need to know about thermodynamics or mechanical engineering to drive a car, and you don't need to know about economics or even the mechanics of trading on the stock market to invest in a vanguard target retirement fund.

The biggest challenge is the amount of deliberate misinformation out there - including "this is so complicated you can't hope to understand it, so just give me all your money and I'll put it into a universal life policy for you."

If anything, it's probably more difficult to explain why a high interest loan is a terrible idea even when you can "afford the payments." That goes against most people's financial common sense. The mechanics of investing for retirement according to current best practices are just a step by step thing.

The crazy thing is that people will put all kinds of effort into *earning* money, but won't put any effort into making the most out of the fruits of their labor. I have friends going back to school for all sorts of things, ostensibly to earn more money, but they are completely lost with finances. I've know people who have put in 60+ hour weeks for years and/or moved all over the country, all to earn a few more dollars. What is the ultimate goal? Financial (and general life) security, basically. They could have put 1% of the same effort into understanding simple finances and made their lives extraordinarily simpler. It's the wildest poo poo. You can literally learn enough in one weekend of reading.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

brugroffil posted:

That's all true but when large majorities fail to save for retirement and there's a huge generation hurtling towards retirement with little or no money, maybe there's something wrong with the system?

I agree, and yet we still live in this dumb world with these dumb rules and this dumb system, so why make it any harder than it needs to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

That or the father and his special needs son are actually grifters who find tutors, befriend them, and then proceed to slowly scam them of all their money. The 'son' is actually a little person who smokes smelly cigars creating hilarity when the tutor unexpectedly stops by and he has to ditch his stogie in the goldfish bowl.

I wish very much for this to be true. I would watch that movie starring Billy Bob Thornton.