Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Do any of you guys remember the thread where a guy bought a Toyota FJ for some ungodly sum?

That was my favorite dealership story. Good times.

And didn't Wags Lending just go out of business? The only thing that would've made that business model more evil would be a provision explicitly offering no guarantee the dog wouldn't be put down at the end of the lease or upon default. Preferably in bold print and highlighted on each month's statement. Really motivate the borrower to pay.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tomie knows me posted:

You just need Chopped branding for this.

Yeah. He just described a cooking show. Now put all those ingredients into the ice cream machine.

My kid gets a monthly "loot" box, but it's makeup so there's an actual business model where the company gets product below cost as a form of advertising. And even that is probably not sustainable in the long run.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
From what I heard, Intel was cheating and had to pay AMD a fraction of the profits they made. AMD poured that money into R&D and finally made a competitive chip.

So now people are jerking it to desktop x64 processors which is kind of like getting the best seat on the Titanic since that market is shrinking (and sinking) and neither AMD nor Intel have a RISC offering. I can't be bothered to look at AMD's earnings report, but I'm pretty sure it's a rounding error on Apple's chip business.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

This is so odd. He's got six years of IOU's for work performed, 6 hours a day at $16/hour...so like $150k if we're not thinking about taxes (and we're not). So he apparently gets a house for all this, but he doesn't have the house yet and now it looks like they'll probably lose the house. His family's all like, "sorry" and he hasn't quiet figured out what that means yet.

I don't think the family's mental illness stops at his father's attraction to children.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

GWM is apparently having kids and then using them for identity theft, given how many absolutely refuse to actually do anything about it. And holy poo poo, signing over power of attorney to the very people who already abused your identity :stare:

As for forums BWM, you don't even need to provide a fraudulent gift card for the scam now.

I enjoyed the tax attorney suggesting he contact his BWM Senator to have a debt forgiven, even though according to his mother there was no profit and everything will be fine when they refile his taxes. Which of course ignores the fact it's still a fraudulent return since his identity was stolen.

If he had the gumption, he could probably sic the IRS on both his parents and the attorney.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My kid likes YouTube shows, specifically cute boys and there was a 'documentary' for something called MAGCON which is some kind of meet and greet people pay money to attend. But apparently the 'stars' don't actually make money. They even had one of the YouTubers leave because he wasn't making any money and then come back to the relief of everyone, but without any resolution on who was making all the money it's the producer

I'm not even sure what these YouTube shows are. The documentary had them driving their dream cars, getting into drama, and jumping on trampolines. Also, opening fan mail and gifts with their mothers. It was the weirdest thing.

I know they're practically kids and no kid thinks realistically about their future, but so many YouTube stars are going to be living out of their cars.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Back to those cute Disney stars, the amount of money they made is mind blowing and makes even top tier YouTube talent look pitiful. Miley Cyrus made around 300 million when you add in merchandising and endorsements and even the Suite Life twins earned something like 100 million. Pete and Pete from Nickelodeon probably made scale. :(

Do they at least take some of that money when you withdraw or are you on the hook for everything the following year? Because she's in for a lot of pain if she withdrew 20k and spent all 20k.

I cashed out my first 401k (yeah yeah, I know) - but I was young, the amount was relatively small, and I don't recall a bad tax hit the following year.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

Because then they'd get their furniture in a month or two instead of now.

It's my ottoman and I want it now!

That commercial works for everything.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, what's BWM is everything we're doing right this minute to fix traffic when commuting scenarios are likely to look completely different in 20 years. Between driverless cars and telecommuting, who knows how the gently caress our kids are going to get to work at their various Trump branded jobs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zo posted:

except some people asked him specifically about it

they should be guillotined instead for causing these awful posts

That's just a trap. Like, if I said, "So Zo, tell me about your wedding" and you start talking about how much you saved getting married at a courthouse followed by a fancy honeymoon in Venezuela that cost you only ten American dollars...boom, probation.

It's not our fault if Steampunk Hitler falls for it. He's just a victim of circumstance.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

I guess I could have provided context - Canada is in a speculative real estate bubble fueled by easy credit and chickenshit politicians who can't threaten their voter base's ~house values~. Toronto specifically is up something stupid like 30% y/y, so the 'buy now or never' mantra means people are getting into bidding wars over rat traps with no conditions. It's to the point where real estate is the largest contributor to GDP before even counting in related industries like construction and finance. A lot of discretionary spending comes from paper gain HELOCs.

This dude is experiencing buyer's regret after doing the rough equivalent of buying a pre-fab condo on an interest only NINJA loan in Miami circa Q3 2006, but in a recourse-mortgage area. Between taxes, interest, penalties, fees, etc the dude will likely be out maybe 100k between the emotional buy and emotional sell. If he's lucky a greater fool will come along to bail him out and mitigate his losses, if he's not then lol.

e. pricing it out because why not - lost costs would be 3% CMHC fee (25.5k), 5% realtor fee (42.5k), a few months interest as a mortgage breaking penalty (5-10k depending on lender if he can sell it before rates rise next month), land transfer fees (26k between provincial and municipal up front, though some will be rebatable as a first time buyer). Dude needs to sell now for +100k to break even, ignoring property taxes/insurance/maintenance.

To add some additional context, I read somewhere that housing for the US in 2006, when building was frantic and lenders were throwing money at anyone with a pulse, represented 6% of GDP. In a sane marketplace when everything is balanced it represents about 4%. And that hosed things up worldwide.

Canada wouldn't normally have worldwide economic repercussions, except there's a whole lot of Chinese money that's going to disappear along with locals' equity.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The implosion will be isolated unlike the subprime crisis, until we find out Citibank and Bank of America are balls deep in Vancouver area condos.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ate all the Oreos posted:

Meanwhile from what I understand New Zealand has a bunch of global investment now because it happened to come out of the financial crisis without being affected too much and if there's one thing banks love it's the proven fact that past performance definitely indicates future results, so when their bubble pops it could easily be amplified globally a ton.

Yeah, but it's New Zealand. So the impact will be like that water cup scene in Jurassic Park. Except it'll stop after the first thump.

And then the rest of the world will go on while Mad Max 4 is taking place in the Shire.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I had someone pull a really awkward BWM power move during the hiring process yesterday.

- This guy got the job
- We made him the official offer with the same salary posted on the job posting
- This is a government job, so legally we can't pay him much more than we offered (we could have paid him a little bit more, but they always leave room for cost of living raises so that they don't need to deny people raises or reclassify them)
- He knew the salary going in. (it was about $35,000 a year; the cap for his title is about $39,000 per year)

He said that he had to "politely decline the offer because I need at least $50,00 a year."

Our HR person told him that they legally can't pay him that much and the offer is $35,000 (which is 135% of median salary for the position)

He said, "My mom always told me to know your worth. I know my value and I know my skill set. I'm afraid that I am going to have to decline. I appreciate your time. You can get in touch with me if you change your mind. Thank you."

They hired the 2nd choice an hour later.

Today, he called our HR rep back to ask if they had reconsidered their offer and that he would go down to $40,000 a year (still higher than the max allowed for the position) and take the job.

When they told him that it had already been filled, he asked them to reconsider and that he would take the original salary and to please not do this to him.

It was painfully awkward.

Ugh...that just happened to me (we can talk about ourselves if it's a bad thing right?). I was offered a job at the low end of the scale, I countered with the higher end (still within the range for the job). They said they'd check and call me back the next day. Never heard back from them again.

That was literally the first time I've ever countered a salary offer and honestly, probably the last time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There were warning signs. It was a small company (8 people), benefit details were spotty, the guy who owned the company didn't follow normal pay raise schedules and oh, he'd read everyone's email regularly.

Obviously they tried to spin the irregular pay adjustments as a positive. "Get hired cheap now and you could be making so much more in one year!" I'm too old to fall for that poo poo. Still, I would've taken the job as a placeholder at least.

One odd thing, it was a technology company, but they didn't start health insurance for six months. Is that weird to anyone else? Maybe I've worked for big corporations too long, but I haven't had to wait that long for benefits since...never. Some stuff took 6 months, like access to the 401k - but never health insurance. So yeah, lots of warning signs.

Vox Nihili posted:

poo poo, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Did you try calling them back?

Oh yeah. Even left a message. They probably replayed that voicemail over and over again for its comedy value. I felt like that 28 year old momma's boy in Leon's post.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BloodBag posted:

Hearing about all these overpriced food delivery services got me wondering: What ever happened to the Schwan's delivery truck? Those guys were way ahead of the game on basically the same exact thing.

Holy poo poo! They still exist! http://www.schwans.com/

I'll never forget those ugly tan/brown cooler trucks driving around when I was a kid living in a poor neighborhood. The people that could afford the Schwan's truck had made it..and they'd throw the lobster carapaces over our fence for the dogs to nibble on. :3:

Schwan's is great. If you get on their regular routes, the delivery guy will come to your house even if you don't order anything and it's like a game show finding out if anything you like to eat is on his truck. It's kind of pointless unless you have a chest freezer.

Also, some of you fuckers are getting put on ignore.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAsterite posted:

Have you tried not supporting cheap/slave labor for once?

Slavery becomes GWM at about .50 cents a banana.

Everyone has a price. Some of us take our payment in cheap fruit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

In the era of Uber etc how in the world does a stupid car and a couple security guards for hire possibly cost $1000+ an hour

If it's a big gala event the stars may be getting a security budget as part of their appearance contract. If it's something like the Oscars then celebrities are probably required to pay for a certain level of security for all the loaned jewels. Either way those are infrequent events so it's not like they're paying a guard $1k a hour on a lazy Sunday morning.

I have no idea if Kim Kardashian cheaped out on her security, but that robbery/kidnapping cost like $2 million and probably scared the poo poo out of her. So good security is GWM once you're that rich/famous.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

We'll likely see more and more stories like this going forward, the NFL has dedicated a fair amount of resources to trying to teach players not to spend all their money immediately after signing their contract.

I think most players go bankrupt after they retire from really lovely business deals. For some reason, ex-pro athletes think they can run restaurants or make video games.

Here's a good one. Some pro hockey player named Jack Johnson did everything right, except for signing over power of attorney to his parents.

http://deadspin.com/how-jack-johnsons-parents-screwed-him-and-left-him-mill-1663583325

They somehow spent all his money and borrowed 15 million in name for millions more.

And a BWL update, his parents sued him because he was trying to sell the home they live in rent free.

http://thejasminebrand.com/2016/07/23/jack-johnson-parents-kicked-out-home/

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 11, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

#liveyourpassion #minimalism #experiencesnotpossessions

e: a repugnant snipe! I'm looking for content.

e2: I love the laconic despair of this one:

My mom has 250k sitting in a CD getting .06%. Help.

poo poo, my great-grandfather had a cola company. When he died my great-grandmother sold the business and put all the cash in her checking account.

Fast forward 40 years later, she dies, and still has $200k in the bank. That could have been 10's of millions.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The husband's other family is probably renting one of the condos. GWM as one wife is helping subsidize his other one.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

Leon how do you constantly come up with the best BWM stories

Something similar happened to my department. 1st shift started at 6:30am every day, but a policy change on January 1st entitled us to a differential for our entire shift if we worked before 7am. They figured this out sometime in mid-February so the whole NOC got a 10% bonus for hours worked along with an immediate schedule change. No biggie, although I liked getting to work at 6:30 and leaving at 3:30.

The real BWM was getting busted by the BSA a year later when a fired co-worker reported the fact that none of the Windows or Office software in our wholly owned subsidiary of a major telecommunications company was licensed. I think they let them off without a fine, but they had to purchase a whole lot of licenses and they probably didn't get a volume discount.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nope, no way to ban them. Herbalife is a multi-billion MLM that the FCC could have shut down easily and they still gave them a pass. No one's going to even blink at these smaller ones unless they step over into other illegal activity. So that White Slavery MLM where you give them one daughter and then recruit other people to give up a daughter while you get a portion of their upsells...that one they might shut down.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The US might be in pretty decent shape. Household debt is up to 2008 levels, but housing isn't overheated and there are at least some regulations still keeping banks honest. With incomes finally rising I think we're in for a couple more years of swell times.

The tech sector is over valued, but the worst unicorn is Uber and only rich people and corporations have money tied up in that. So maybe the US will sit this next global crisis out. Sorry, Canada.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

... and then our economies will poo poo the bed once we encounter our first ever, retirement/elderly care affordability crisis in ~15 years. :suicide:

Robots and Uber.

Robots are Japan's answer, so we'll see how they manage it and adopt the good 'non-killing grandma' parts for our own old people.

Uber because people can survive much longer in their own homes as long as they have someone bring them food and take them to doctor's appointments. My mom would be in assisted living right now if I didn't live 15 minutes from her and have the time and wherewithal to bring her food and take her places. Technology should make day-to-day old people care less expensive as time goes on because they have universal health care and will be able to afford the extra help.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

:lol: if you think a company that's never turned a profit will be around in 15 years. That VC gravy train won't last forever.

Uber will be around. It will be owned by someone else most likely, but the name value and infrastructure are worth billions even if they aren't making any money.

I think GM and Ford already own chunks of Lyft. Since the future is going to require far fewer cars, it makes sense for carmakers to own the means by which we call those cars. They'll move from a single purchase model with upgrades every 5 or 6 years to a subscription one. Think Adobe and Photoshop.

Edit: Imagine having to admit you have a subscription to a Chrysler when all the other guys have subs to Mercedes and Audi.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 19, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Moore's law * autonomous cars = grandma making it to the doctor and grocery store. The technology isn't going to get more expensive with time. We've seen huge leaps ahead in the past few years along, albeit on $100k cars. 15 years is a long time for that to percolate down. Mind you Europe and Japan will have this in their car safety mandates by then and in the USA people will be complaining about 'ma freedums.

Yeah, we're talking about how countries like Japan and the EU are going to handle their old people and the answer is automation. Grandma won't even need UberGray to take her to the doctor most times because her Amazon ShowMe will let her video conference with a work-from-home nurse who can do vitals and if necessary conference in a doctor in Bangladesh who is half the cost of a regular physician.

We haven't really seen much cost savings in medical technology yet, but most poo poo will get cheaper and easier to use as the most Selfish Generation ages.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wait. That's possible? To do a trade-in for a lease?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Um...

Doesn't the FTC say you need to explicitly mark any tweets you're paid to make? I mean, a Trump could have tweeted about a product out of the kindness of their heart, buuuuuut...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

pr0zac posted:

How do you think product placement works anywhere?

Product placement is one thing. If Ivanka had a picture of herself in her kitchen and there was a Juicero in the background then it might pass muster, but tweeting or Instagraming paid endorsements without putting the word "ad" somewhere in the message is a violation of FTC rules. Kim Kardashian has been nabbed by it and even that fat guy in a red sweater during the debates got nailed over it. You have to make clear it's an ad if you are getting paid to post it.

It's just a fine. It's not like you're going to jail or anything. But I think she's a government employee now and I'm not sure they're allowed to endorse products without going through an approval process.

In other words this is par for the course in Trumpland.

Blinkman987 posted:

Yes, you have to disclose ads but I've also never seen anybody actually punished for failure to do so.

The fat guy in the red sweater got paid to endorse something and I'm pretty sure the fine wiped out everything he was paid. Poor fucker never stood a chance.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cold on a Cob posted:

Check the date, she might get fined but she wasn't a govt employee then.

Yeah, I didn't notice it was 2 months ago.

I did go look at her Twitter feed and it's been deleted. Her people probably got a warning letter and they deleted the post.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You can literally click on the tweet in this thread to see that it was not.

Ok. So I got both the month and the year wrong. And she wasn't a government employee then and the FTC probably hadn't started cracking down on ads in social media yet.

But Juicero still spent money on a Trump endorsement, so I'm still better than them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
He can like still go back to school and take that final semester after his untreated mental illness gets treated, right?

I've known so many people who can't stand being anything but their own boss and they are almost all failures. A friend of mine lost his home and business and almost destroyed his family trying to be his own boss. Now that he's just another cog in the corporate wheel everyone is much happier, although ignoring his daughters for 10 years has had the expected effect on their behavior.

I love being a faceless entity. Corporate America, cover me with your darkness.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

In most situations, "can't stand being anything but my own boss" means they are terminally difficult to work with and throw fits when things don't go 100% their way.

The guy I mentioned, got fired from an architectural firm for making too big a stink over the software they were using. So yeah. Exactly what you said.

My brother-in-law started his own construction business with his wife's personal injury settlement and lost everything in like six months. You have to really work to go out of business that fast.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What's the ROI for love versus hate? I know revenge gets you double the number of graves dug - so that's pretty good.

I think I'm going to need a PowerPoint deck before I can decide which path to take.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That family I mentioned before's oldest daughter let some random guy use her Uber account, which resulted in $150 in charges that overdrew her parents' account. The kid was 15 years old and that's the first time she realized her parents had no money. Like a real-life melodramatic over the top "you mean we're poor!?!!" moment.

On one side it sucks knowing about your family's bad finances because that causes all kinds of stress and worry for kids. On the other, it at least let's you know that your 'normal' isn't 'normal' and is probably not behavior to aspire to.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Maybe this is me being an old man yelling at clouds, but why would you let your 15-year old have an Uber account, let alone one linked to your bank account, and where is a 15-year old taking Uber for $150?

The kid she gave the Uber info to rode around with it for like a week or two. Hence the $150.

As for why she even had it. Who knows. They probably had her use it once or twice and never revoked the access. I can see multiple situations where you'd want your kid to have something like that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

How do you want to spend your retirement? Riding around on my bike with a trailer attached and an oven on it. FREEDOM!

I have a family member who is still being frugal at 88. I've encouraged him to liquidate some assets and enjoy the money. When you are uncertain of how many years you have left why not enjoy them rather than just having a hoard of millions in assets?

At that point they stop saving for a comfortable retirement and start saving for their heirs. So essentially they're serial-savers and nothing you can say will change them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've heard British teeth are due to non-fluorinated water, so I'm not entirely sure it's just a lack of braces.

I didn't do braces for my kids, although they both had retainers/head gear to fix overbites and underbites. Putting my oldest in head gear was expensive, but at least it looked funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

I imagine the inequality distribution is greater in the US than UK and that oral health measures reflect that quite drastically given that Doctors Without Borders pulls a lot of teeth in have-not US regions.

It's something like this:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/09/12/221845853/mountain-dew-mouth-is-destroying-appalachias-teeth

I suspect that Appalachia skews a lot of public health numbers for the country as a whole.