Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

therobit posted:

Those borrowers don't qualify for a refinance and won't for years due to bankruptcy. Banks are permitted to make unilateral changes to accounts if they unequivocally benefit the customer. Wells was wrong if they filed incorrect court documents but by lowering the payment while keeping the rate the same, they are making ot easier for these people to remain in thier homes.Any prepayment penaly would likely remain on original terms, and prepay penalties after the first 3 years are really rare in mortgage lending. If the customer doesn't want the lower payment they can keep paying thier original payment.

I know you guys have a hate boner for banks, but this just isn't that bad. Of all the major banks I will agree that Wells is one of if not the worst when it comes to unfair practices but that isn't what this is.

Presumably the cost to the borrower on the same principal for 10 years at 2% is much less than 40 years at 2%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Powerlurker posted:

The "S" part of STEM has basically no career path in the discipline unless you get a Ph.D. A BS in chemistry or biology basically qualifies to you be a lab-rat. You can of course apply for a generic white-collar position that doesn't really care what you majored in, but holders of those degrees don't necessarily seek them out.

Very few positions for those with a PhD as well in science.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality

That's what I was thinking. Is this not a thing for transfer on death accounts? Seems like the borker (edit, I'm leaving this typo in) would at least be getting a nastygram from the SEC. Don't know if that wipes out the debt, and I seriously dobt any money reappears.

Doesn't a client at a brokerage normally fill out risk profile info or is that only in Canada and for adviser products?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

BarbarianElephant posted:

From what I've heard, hunter-gatherers actually have quite a bit of downtime. There's no point killing two deer when your family can only eat one at a time, so if everything is OK, they definitely did have time for sitting around, chatting, and making seashell jewellry.

The contribution of human groups to civilization was greater on the coasts where food was plentiful in a static location than compared with nomadic tribes in the interior that had to expend much more time and energy tracking food.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Senor Dog posted:

Hunter gatherers could and often did stay in one location

Regardless, they were all steam rolled by the agricultural revolution.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

crazypeltast52 posted:

Emphatically. Shellfish hunting has to be one of the least poetic versions of hunting though.

And so the brave hunter stalked these mollusks through the tidal flats, braving sunlight and the beast's sharp shell to bring home a meal for their starving family.
More like the man was hungry so he walked outside, picked some mussels off the rocks nearby and dumped them in his wife's lap and grunted.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Or you could find meaning in life that isn't dependent on materialism and consumerism.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Skills: good at eating
Problem: fat
Requested solution: something that can solve my problem that leverages my skills.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If they search your bags, sex toys filled with alcohol. Nobody is going to touch those to see if there's a cap that comes off.

Scanner will pick up containers of liquids.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My two coworkers are talking about taking their kids to the doctor. One of them is trying to convince the other one to take their 3-year old to a chiropractor. She says it has done wonders for her kid's sleeping and performance on schoolwork (???).

The other one seems skeptical and is trying not to diss the choice, but is finding different reasons why she is reluctant to to take her own kids there.

The pro-chiropractor for toddlers co-worker complained that our insurance doesn't cover her guy and that it costs about $450 per visit.

The skeptical one has jumped on that and started going "Man, sounds great, but I don't know that we can afford that. That is bullshit that our insurance won't pay for a doctor. Oh well."

Other co-worker responds, "Well, yeah. If insurance paid for it, then he would put the rest of the medical industry out of business. Also, you get what you pay for, ya know? I value my kid's health and I don't want to cheap out on it. He wouldn't be able to charge that much if it didn't work."
Alt med for children is abuse, either directly or through neglect. The government is legitimizing it as well by allowing certifying organizations to form around these bullshit disciplines.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
She's probably eating a bag gluten right now. It's just a thing on which idiots blame all their fat-related health issues.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

She's actually tall and fairly thin.

She says that she has terrible stomach pain and vomiting from anything with gluten and she was only able to cure it by going gluten-free.

She says she never had an issue with gluten allergies until the day she came from the hospital after giving birth.

:shrug:
And lots of kids "don't show any signs of autism until they get their vaccinations at 18 months".

If she's been seeing real docs and they aren't giving her a diagnosis it's probably because she's an idiot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

lostleaf posted:

I don't understand this. What kind of school just let you replace your F's?

I failed a physics class first year undergrad at SFU because I was dumb and had it replaced with the grade from one I took at a later date.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

He says:

That's what I am basing my 30-50k original loan amount on.

He says his current amount owed is 100k more than the loan amount. That's insane and I have no idea how that could happen.

Quoted tuition was $30k and the school got him to take out as many loans as possible for as much as possible which they hit up for board or other living costs.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

I just gotta wonder how you get loans for cost of living or boarding up to 100k without straight up fraud. Or what he did with that money when he decided not to finish the degree.
Well you print a stack of applications and then get the idiot to sign them.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

April posted:

So. Many. Bad. Decisions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6mlzl4/found_out_dad_secretly_has_40k_in_credit_card/?st=j5044p8o&sh=5cdea954

How could they even get a 250k mortgage with only 50k in income? Actually, it would have been more than that, it was taken out 8 years ago... how did they get that size mortgage with such a massive credit card debt? And what is he spending 40k on since then? And he just retires with all that CC debt?

No horses here, but still pretty bad.
They probably bought the house a long time ago and it has appreciated in value quite a bit so the $250k mortgage is only half the value of the house or something.

This is classic BWM though; people mortgaging against the increased value of their house to pay off their consumer debt, only to accrue more debt and the cycle continues until a recession causes home values to decrease and they get foreclosed.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I once heard about a poor person that had a television and a refrigerator!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Devian666 posted:

There have been a few local companies going into liquidation as they don't seem cut out for a competitive market. Now I've found a company going broke that is really ususual.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/95043906/high-court-allows-liquidator-to-recover-fees-from-failed-debt-collectors-trust-account

How a debt collection agency manages to go broke I have no idea.

Too many owners pulling money they "deserve" regardless of revenues.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Tipps posted:

Lol if you don't just buy 20$ rings on Amazon and spend the rest of the money you would otherwise spend on a blood diamond on a nice honeymoon or a loving car or a kitchen remodel or literally anything else that is actually useful.
Yeah but not having an adult discussion with your sig other before spending a lot or a little is BWL.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
drat, $18k is like a 2 carat stone. Although he probably got ripped off and bought a 1 carat for that price from a retail store.

edit: I can get a 2.7 carat stone for $17k or a 21 carat stone for $1.8M on bluenile.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Normally insurance for a bike or ring or whatever is just a rider on your home insurance.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
A bidding war on a couch? :laffo:

Not insuring a truck because it's...new? :laffo:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMJsqXzz5zs

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Bad With Money: Implied Equity

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Lol a retirement party is highly important and confidential.

gently caress secretaries and their constant email spam and inability to prioritize poo poo or write subject lines or address properly or put important poo poo inline rather than as an attachment. Also their lovely signatures with weird graphics, fonts, colors and sizes.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Yeah, hair drain wookie + semen + hot shower

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
As a personal investment, risky, but sure, whatever. As an institutional investment? Indefensible and definitely would get you fired.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Libertarians are naive idiots. This is well established by the BWM failures of their every attempt to form some sort of commune.

Please post BWM stories of libertarian idiots' houses burning down and the fire department watching because they refused to pay taxes.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Bug-out bags full of bitcoins.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Dude is hosed forever. A lot of these people have huge incomes for a couple years and then it dries up leaving them no way to pay the back taxes. Basically Dave Foley and why he can't come back to Canada.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Bitcoin is a solution looking for a problem.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
People pay for that streaming poo poo because they are in desperate need for attention and donating money gets you a call-out, your name on screen, or whatever.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

pathetic little tramp posted:

Oh no, they pay much more than 200. 400 is my profit after all the expenses.

Do you have insurance for when its intestines turn inside out?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Smegma is the new sustainable textile for 2017.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

If this is accurate, then it is obviously bullshit by the DEA.

However...

- Why would you keep 20 grand in cash in your checked bags at the airport? Are there no banks in San Francisco?
- When being screened at the airport yell "Is this about the cash in my bags?"
- When questioned by the DEA under suspicion that it is drug money after the K9 unit smells your bag say, "Over 80% of money has cocaine on it!"
- Withdraw 20k from your retirement account in cash to fly to San Francisco to buy a Mustang?
The US basically funds a lot of its police departments and federal agencies with illegally seized cash from minorities and other people who aren't privileged enough to deal with banks or defend themselves.

Carrying large amounts of cash is BWM but also a loving sad state of affairs.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

olylifter posted:

This is apparently happening all over Toronto. Like the housing market went from berserk to like, less berserk, overnight.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/non-buyer-s-remorse-toronto-sellers-frustrated-as-home-buyers-tack-on-demands-1.3541706

Seller Rudy Ionides was busy packing boxes for his move this weekend when he received a letter from a lawyer saying the buyers of his home want to adjust their offer. They want to reduce the sale price by $50,000, extend the closing date to Sept. 7 and have Ionides loan them $500,000 in a vendor takeback mortgage.

apologies if that's been posted before.
From what I understand, a vendor take-back mortgage is basically a second mortgage that is offered by the seller, rather than a bank or other lender. I believe in a default the second mortgage comes after the first mortgage so if the buyer defaults and the house isn't actually worth the value of the two mortgages together then the seller who offered the VTB loan is basically hosed as the primary mortgage lender gets the house.

BWM.

http://www.whichmortgage.ca/article/the-return-of-the-vendor-takeback-mortgage-221647.aspx

Buyer offers $1,000,000 on property. Puts down $100,000 (10%), needs another 10% to qualify for the first mortgage so gets a $100,000 VTB loan from the seller and then gets a $800,000 loan from a bank. Borrower defaults, bank forecloses on home. Borrower now owes bank whatever difference between mortgage and value of house, borrower also owes private seller VTB balance. Borrower declares bankruptcy, loans discharged, bank now has house while seller has nothing.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 28, 2017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

canyoneer posted:

This is amazing.

Looks like their startup wasn't profitable. Better learn some lessons from it for the next one

edit: speaking of startups
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/72vpq2/very_pregnant_and_terrified_of_possibly_grossly/
Very pregnant and terrified of possibly grossly unfair prenup, Bay Area CA (self.legaladvice)
submitted 22 hours ago * by urgent_prenup_help

The red pill shoutout makes my mind say "troll", but man I don't even know.

:laffo:

Her IQ is "one in a million" and yet here we are.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Yeah, that slave prenup might fly in the south but definitely not California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
They're honestly kind of perfect for each other.