Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

This one is asking for advice, but it's just so dumb I had to post it

Am student. Would like to buy house instead of pay rent. Good idea?

quote:

I'm planning on getting my PhD somewhere in the US over the course of the next 5-7 years, and instead of paying rent, I thought it would be cool to buy a house instead and save that rent money in the form of property. Thing is, I'm 22 and have only a couple grand to my name (but no student loans, and I pay off cc every month, so credit score is good). I know I need some money for a down-payment, but what I'm wondering is just how feasible this idea is? What are some hurdles I don't even know about? When I think about how I would go about it, I would find maybe 4 other students, put together a down payment, pay about $1k/mo each in house-loan payments, and then have a house at the end of the 5-7 years. Even cooler would be if the other four students were my renters instead of co-owners, and I got to keep the house at the end!

quote:

quote:

That's a terrible idea. [Many reasons it's a terrible idea follow]
Thank you for the advice, do you think it would be a better idea for the other roommates to be full co-owners? Also the idea would be to pay off the house in full before graduating, so even if the market crashes, we'd be better off than if we had wasted the money in rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

That's a weird hangup. Lots of people say they purchased/bought houses without paying in cash, do you guffaw at them too?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Hey guys who wants to hear about how little my car depreciates?!

No one :confused:

Does it make sense to go tax exempt on a few paychecks to aggressively pay off high interest debt?

quote:

Like the title says, I owe

18,993 in credit card debt

21,265 in car loans

And 29,021 in personal loans

I gross about $115-125k a year, currently filing taxes as a single, non exempt.

My paychecks are about $6-6.9k, twice a month, but after taxes and everything, I take home about 3 grand.

I live in an expensive metropolitan area so the cheapest rent I could find was $1,100 a month, sharing a 2 bed with a roommate.

I feel like if I jus went exempt for two months I could clear my credit card debt and just deal with the irs owings later. Does this make sense at all or am I just making poo poo up about things I don’t understand?

Edit: I know the math doesn’t work out between my paychecks and my gross annual, but some checks are lighter than others.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

I'm guessing the problem he's missing is that the IRS may charge him a penalty for underpayment. At least he acknowledged that he still has to pay those deferred taxes but I question his ability to remember to save money to pay the deferred amount come April.

That and he also nets 6k a month, pays $1100 for rent, and somehow has $50k in non-car debt. But if only he didn't pay taxes for a bit he'd be fine!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

guillotine the council, demolish all painted ladies, build 50 story concrete soulless apartments on the rubble

otoh this guy is a shithead and it's funny that he got hosed over

quote:

The approved 2014 plan — proposed by a previous owner — allowed for the removal of most of the existing structure, he said. “We acknowledge and apologize for the fact that a small portion of the work exceeded the scope in the approved plans,” he said, adding that the decision was made “for life-safety reasons.”

Whoops I wanted to be able to sell the new, larger house for millions more so I destroyed this one, but it was for my safety you see.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

In the replies:

quote:

keeping up with people in the finance industry is really not a game I should be playing yet in hindsight, even if you justify it to yourself as "networking" and "relationship building." also, a lot of my savings were in small-cap stocks that basically lost half their value in the past few months. no joke.

Whoops.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

gb2ai

The phone complaint in this one is whatever, but the throwaway details: Verizon has decided to charge my account over $600+ for something out of my control

quote:

I recently had an early upgrade available at Verizon, I went in and gave them my old iPhone X to trade up to the iPhone XS.
[...]
I’m leaving for a flight to Iceland and I can’t drop it off at a mailbox and the guy there says he’ll kindly do it for me.
[...]
I’m already barley going to make rent here, I cannot afford another $600 being placed on top by a greedy and heartless corporation.

Also odds seem decent that the Verizon employee pocketed his iPhone X and replaced it with a broken one and mailed the broken one off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I haven't had a job for a year in a half and we have a shitload of debt. I guess I'd better get a job soon

Can we ever get out of this pit we dug ourselves? Need reasonable solutions.

quote:

We currently have a ton of debt. Right now everything is current but we’ve been “robbing Peter to pay Paul”. I’m currently unemployed and have been for about 18 months which has contributed to our debt. I’m not at all proud of it as I’ve basically ruined our family and I don’t see any way out of this. I’m looking for a new job ASAP and taking anything I can get but so far nothing.

Our net monthly income and expenses are as follows:

Wife’s income: $3750 Monthly expenses: $7049

We are negative $3329 each month without me being employed. I need a job at $55k to break even which I have had previously so I could probably be in the $40k-70k range for a new job depending on what comes up the soonest. I’ll even take temp work for $17/hr. My wife does get an annual bonus that is not figures into this because it’s not a guarantee we want to bank on (although the company gives one every year). The lowest she’s ever had is 10%. This also does not take into account my student loans which are at $73k. I have FedLoan so I’m at $0 per month due to unemployment.

Can we get out of this at all? Any advice/options? We’ve stopped using credit cards completely now. I’m trying to make it work and avoid bankruptcy but I feel we are too far gone.

Edit: monthly expenses we can cut are cable ($90 to cancel early but saves us $350 over the contract) to save $52/month, experian credit score fee (didn’t know my wife was paying this) for $13, Apple Music for $16, and we are trying to get a refund and out of contract for our basketball tickets that we didn’t remember to cancel in time but if we can that would save us 6 more payments of $310. Lots of poor choices on our part.