Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Happy derby day bwm thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I don't think Blue Apron is inherently BWM. You're paying for the luxury of not having to think too hard about what to cook, good ingredients, a wide variety of food, and not having to spend time at the computer finding recipes, making shopping lists, and spending too much time at the supermarket.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
edit: whoops

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 2, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
That's impressive.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ashcans posted:

I don't even have a concept for what an $100,000 wedding would look like, that is such an insane amount of money for people with jobs to spend on it. If you were royalty or just so amazingly fuckoff rich you had to have $100,000 to stir from your perpetual hedonistic torpor I'd guess it made sense. He had better be arriving in a carriage drawn by giraffes or something.

Spending between 500k-1M gets you Taylor Swift's horse in your wedding.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I feel as if my life could be so much more.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

monster on a stick posted:

There are apparently some tech employees who buy a Leaf or something and then live in the company parking lot, tethered to the charging station. Maybe it works better if the company has the whole "free food all day long" thing.

But what happens when they want someone to bring someone home for the night?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Xenoborg posted:

This is the weirdest part to me. You don't pay tuition and they pay you (~50k for medicine, probably less for dentist) during residency.

Dental residents pay tuition, which can be quite significant for "lucrative" specialties such as orthodontics and endodontics.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm not a truck guy but that's a cool truck.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Volmarias posted:

Yes. Buy insurance in your ring.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoutPatrol posted:

I didn't want to say this first, but yeah. Already with the feet problems, this is bad luck for her.

Oh, I was assuming Debbie had a terminal diagnosis and wanted to get out asap. :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

potatoducks posted:

My friend combined the two and got a seaplane.

Someone please tell me it's BWM, because I am super jealous.

Friend of mine is looking in to buying one. Other than the fact that maintenance is terrible because you’re essentially paying boat and plane maintenance, insurance rates are through the roof as people make one of two mistakes:

1. Forget to put the landing gear down, land on ground, die.
2. Forget to bring the landing gear up, land on water, die.

Seaplanes: extra bwm.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I remember hearing somewhere that if your doctor starts recommending an investment, you know it's time to get out.

It started a few weeks ago here.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hoodwinker posted:

Look I think we can all agree that the guillotine is an effective tool of execution for the rich. We're simply arguing the details of who gets a trip to the platform.

Doctors are exempt right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
We're currently dealing with the estate of my fiancee's mom, who died completely unexpectedly. Her father is in terrible shape health wise.

Their will was last updated in the mid 80s.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I know I'm late on ice cream chat, but ben and Jerry's is crap. Jeni's ice cream is one of the greatest things I've ever tasted.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they got bought out by unilever

one thing happens to unilever brand products and one thing only: they get fuckin squeezed to death

Ben and Jerry's or Jeni's? :ohdear: I know Unilever owns B&J but I haven't heard about Jeni's beyond some PE group or something.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yeah, I think Kavanaugh is pretty gwm right now.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mocking Bird posted:

I’d do an ask/tell about my experience with public service loan forgiveness circus but honestly it makes me so mad my blood pressure might never recover

Uhhh want to at least give us a tldr?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ganon posted:

I came across the myfico.com forum recently, it's a wild place. People put the credit cards they have in their signatures like we used to do with PC specs on gaming forums in 2001.

Wait wait, myfico has forums? :psyduck: Why?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The bolded part is not true if you have it forgiven through some loan forgiveness plans - like PSLF - but it remains true for the "stop, stop, he's already poor!" 20 year automatic forgiveness.

lol

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CannonFodder posted:

I really want to know what car he decided to sign a 21k loan for.

My guess is 2014 Altima, 100k miles, previous rental

Maybe a previous smart lease?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EugeneJ posted:

Does the husband believe in life after love?

I really don't think he's strong enough, no.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
At what income level would you guys not make fun of a $500/month gym membership?

Asking for a friend.

Mine's $60, thanks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

howdoesishotweb posted:

What outrage? If it’s real they put away retirement, 4500 a month in emergency savings, and 500 a month for college. It could be better but meh?

$3500 a month on misc? Dual professional couple in an expensive city likely eats out almost every meal, goes to events, and vacations/traveling. Easily doable.

Lol that any lawyer is away from the office long enough to enjoy a mil+ home and a $500 a month gym.

I'm really looking forward to these forums in another 10-20 years or so.

If they make it that long.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Known Lecher posted:

#BatWithMoney: The car price was 45k and I talked him down to $625 a month.

Can it be anything else?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I commend all of the GWM patriots here who have never purchased a lottery ticket and also presumably have never wasted money by stepping in to a starbucks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
There's a part of me that wants to get in the pet loan business, until I realize that I'd end up repossessing pets. And there's only so much room on the farm upstate. :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
God I feel old and out of touch.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
We ready for an engagement ring derail?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait until we’re black diamond.

Just want to say this is really great.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Krispy Wafer posted:

Based on my own personal experience, I’m going to go out on a limb and say BMW posters are loving hated at strip clubs.

“But why would I want to buy a whole room full of champagne?”

Listen man I budget for a certain number of lap dances and I'm done.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
INABJ

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

First reply in that thread:

quote:

Not a lawyer, but a horse person....

You shouldn't ever purchase a horse on credit (and I say that as someone who purchased a horse using a personal loan, and paid off that loan far longer than I had the horse, unfortunately).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh god, one of the nurses in my department just came to me excited about the new Lexus she's going to lease. I started to gently ask questions about her driving habits and lease and found out:

1. She drives 20k miles per year and plans on holding on to the car for 7 years
2. Her dealership has convinced her to think about "multiple security deposits."

:ohdear:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 14, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Requesting a thread title change to:

quote:

Dollar cost averaging is for suckers when you can just buy low and sell high. Don't know why people don't just do that all the time.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"Reddit, help me make the easiest decision in the world. Which is the better financial decision? Should I go into debt for a Master's Degree and try to live the hellish life of an adjunct professor of Computer Science? Or should I take a $160k job with no debt?"

The idea of a going with a $200,000 per year opportunity cost to get a Master's in Computer Science is baffling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9rufrc/160000_at_21_or_a_1year_masters_degree/

This isn't that uncommon of a decision/BWM as it seems. There are plenty of people at who take the extra year to do an M. Eng at Very Well Known Institute of Technology. Furthermore, it's pretty rare to be able to get a Masters with absolutely minimal effort required beyond staying only 1 extra year. He's not talking about turning that job away forever. That job at Amazon is going to be there next year, and a year is nothing, especially if it leads to other opportunities down the road.

BWM is taking that degree and doing something really dumb, like going to medical school/residency right before a massive tech boom.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 19, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Shipon posted:

Maybe the poster can use the MS to launch themselves into more interesting projects instead of doing bottom of the barrel stuff that BS level engineers end up doing. Sounds like they have more on their mind than simply how big a paycheck can be.

The anti-intellectualism of "don't get a masters, a year's of industry experience is more valuable than any amount of education" is sickening.

It's hilariously sad and short-sighted. A "normal" masters takes 2-3 years, and some prestigious places don't even offer a terminal masters track. The quickie masters at places like MIT/Stanford/wherever this guy is takes only an extra year. At a minimum, it will ensure he is pretty much never screened/passed over for any higher level job because he only has a BS. Who knows, maybe he'll decide that being a code monkey isn't for him and he'll decide to do something completely different. In any case, the job at Amazon will be there next year. Starting work at 22 vs 23 is a drop in the bucket.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 20, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Since no one is going to convince anyone here, I'll keep it short.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if the brother is not sure what he wants to do i think it's a good idea to go do some work before deciding on additional more specialized academic qualifications but what do i know, i stopped after my BA

No. The M. Eng is only a year.

Dik Hz posted:

Do you have any actual experience to back this up?

Yes.

Dik Hz posted:

Not necessarily. And even if it is, there may be more applicants. Or they may really just need fresh BS grads. Or he might wash out of the Master's for reasons outside his control.

No. The job will be there next year. Or maybe he'll attract the eye of a more attractive place to work for than Amazon.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I feel personally attacked by this page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

wilderthanmild posted:

Can you roll balances forward on phone financing? Maybe he gets the newest whatever each year and owes a shitton on phone financing now.

Isn't this essentially what Apple's program is?

Still, if you can't, we need to figure out a way for people to start.