Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Do some people just not realize used cars exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Calling it the light bill is an old southern thing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

$350 to pay for tag plate fraud(total accident)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

jesus christ

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I was complaining really hard about that guy not being able to cook a few pages ago, and this kinda poo poo is on par. People don't understand what food is anymore.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lol

"Hi, I just want to put in writing that I committed bitcoin tax fraud. I don't know anything about it, but I'm happy to answer any questions!!"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You never, ever, ever pay for your entire graduate degree (unless you're rich or something). Universities fund grad positions, and if you're not being offered funding, you don't go.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pre-professional degrees can be an exception, yeah. I think "video game design" probably falls under that category, but there's no way in hell the financial return is worth paying for that degree.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bad With Money 2018: I run to the toilet and puke up all the yogurt I ate

e: Why does she keep calling her perfectly normal dinners 'random'

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 18, 2018

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People are so goddamn stupid about cars.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mezzanon posted:

Cross posting from the Schadenfreude thread!

Holy poo poo has this been posted yet?

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvic...ACD&sh=7a350406

I hired someone to take my online History class. He outsourced the work to someone in Africa, and that person emailed my professor and reported me for cheating. The person I hired refuses to refund the money. What recourse do I have?

omg

I'm sharing this beautiful thing with everyone

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They've been living together for three years and he's trying to pull that???

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That is bad with so much more than money.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

$150k is a mindbogglingly large amount of money to just have (i.e., not sunk into investments or a home or whatever)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It wouldn't even matter if there were an unlimited pool of jobs. It wouldn't guarantee good ones. Alice needs to hurry up and retire already so that Bob can continue his career track. He doesn't need a job in an Amazon warehouse.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The closest things are that she has spent a decent amount (I have no idea how much, but it is over $2,000) on "saving a Witch's Garden" next to her house.

She's been "seeding" the area with fungal spores of the many shrooms she collects for her tinctures.

They initally tried to fund the event 100% through bartering and paying the vendors and acts in "exposure," but that fell through almost immediately.

what in tarnation

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

yes, realities like "George W Bush was a genuinely good person"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sounds like Louis XVI was a pretty bad person!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They agreed to come in every day and eat poop for pennies! Why aren't they showing up!!!

quote:

In the hottest job market in decades, workers are holding all the cards. And they’re starting to play dirty.

Imagine including this in an article about call centers and retail jobs.

quote:

But realizing that wasted recruiting resources, he has shortened the interval before a new hire starts to three days from up to two weeks.

“If you don’t bring them in immediately, they’re still an open agent,” he says.

No poo poo. You were asking them to go without pay for two weeks.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 25, 2018

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Help, my first job pays roughly the median household income.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

For some reason there's a huge markup when you get it from a restaurant (like $20). Maybe because avocados have such a narrow window of freshness?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh I thought someone had posted this but I guess not!

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1023600915146788867

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Gossip in small towns can get ridiculous, but it's all peddled and consumed by old ladies, so I don't know why anyone else gives a poo poo.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I think it's the opposite: people think their refund is the government giving them free money.

I think people would have a much better understanding of what is going on, and be much madder about it, in a simpler system where you had to write a giant check at the end of every year instead of having it quietly deducted a little bit at a time.

There's no way most people could budget for that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There is basically no oversight on how you spend student loans. It's so predatory.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a history BA. It was incredibly worthwhile in every way except for job prospects. I actually have a year-round teaching job at a university (thank christ), but they specifically passed over PhD applicants for being too qualified.

Even 10 years ago when I was an undergrad my professors were warning us not to go to grad school for history. Society doesn't value it. Universities don't value it (except while you're still paying them for it). It's sad, because honestly if I had to rank the "value" of the various humanities I'd put history at the top.

That reddit discussion is very focused on academic employment, but I don't see anyone talking about other types of education. We may not be able to enroll many students in history classes, but history is still a popular media topic. Books, movies, tv shows, games, etc. are all areas that historians should still be valued, even if there aren't a ton of jobs there either.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

I wonder if there's a perception (common or not) that humanities degrees are desirable for unrelated fields due to the amount of research and writing work that's inherent to most of those degrees. You may not end up going through any math more complicated than trigonometry or possibly calculus, but being able to process vast amounts of unstructured information into a well-written report goes a hell of a long way, especially when your education is heavily focused on identifying gaps in the available information and seeking sources to fill those gaps.

It probably boils down to a left-brain/right-brain beep boop kind of thing. STEM fields thrive on working within a structured set of boundaries (rules/laws/permissions, etc) humanities thrive where the boundaries are largely in defining your end product and not guiding your work in producing it.

If you're talking about bachelor's degrees, at least 10+ years ago, it was parents telling their kids that any degree was fine, because jobs just wanted someone with a college degree. I hope most people have realized that's not as true now as it once was.

The only people I've ever heard espousing the value of soft skills are people who have humanities degrees and personally experienced the growth of those skills. They're real skills, and I use them every day, but it's just not as marketable to employers who are looking for something like a list of certifications.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The numbers bear out that humanities grads find employment but at a lower rate than other degrees, and their salaries are also lower.

My anecdote is that during the years immediately following the GFC, a BA didn't mean poo poo. I'm glad that hasn't been universal.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

He really should just move to Bangkok.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

high-paying STEM jobs (so, like, not a cancer researcher at a public university) are creating products that directly contribute to corporate profit

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

e: ok fine you can have it

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 16, 2018

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The only people who should be planning on PSLF are maybe like doctors or lawyers. Otherwise it's for when you accidentally end up with way more debt than you can reasonably pay off but happen to have decent prospects in government.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's amazing that people keep falling for MLM with how many jokes and warnings there are about it, but its attractiveness really must just be baked into our dumb, desperate brains.

A friend of mine got tricked by one a few years ago. His parents had fallen on hard times, and he heard that a friend of a friend of a friend had earned a 'free' Mustang through this energy drink scheme, so he started watching all the videos and forwarding them to me. He dropped $500 to buy in. I immediately told him what it was and refused to humor it at all. A few days later he called me, totally dejected, and admitted he finally realized what it was. It was actually soon enough that he was able to get a refund.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Can the many tree posts from r/legaladvice be considered BWM? Because they cost a lot of people a lot of money.
https://twitter.com/legaladvice_txt/status/1030485040940150784
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/982hxz/a_neighbour_of_mine_cut_down_20_trees_of_mine/

quote:

This could likely be in the "she'll have to sell her house and have any income garnished for the rest of her life" neighborhood.

If these were mature white oak, say over 30 years old, they could be in the neighborhood of $30-40k each.

It's not JUST the value of the wood, nor the cost to replace it with a sapling. You're to be made WHOLE. That means the money it takes to source (find) equal trees, dig them up safely, transport them, plant them, and have the survive for at least a year before they can be considered established.

It's also about the devaluation of the property should you ever sell it.

You can settle for the cash value and then decide what you want to do with the money. You probably don't have to replant anything.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I took an arboriculture class once and we had an entire section on calculating the value of trees for legal purposes. Tree law is big. Like, I think people don't realize how big of a deal trees are, and that's why you have so many of these cases where a neighbor thinks they can cut down someone's 100-year-old row of oaks.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

E: seems easy to get caught redwood handed doing this. You’d be weeping from all the paper you willow

speaking of redwoods

(Illinois)Neighbor, cut down a rare 150-year-old tree that has been in my family for generations

quote:

Recently a great aunt of mine died, and we needed to send a week in Washington State, and we asked a neighbor to take care of our five cats, two dogs, and 100+ chickens. We came back this morning and my parents had dropped me off at school this morning straight from the airport before heading home. While my dad was inspecting the property, he noticed that our 150-year-old giant sequoia was gone. My Great-Great Grandfather had planted the tree after returning from California, and it's not native to Northern Illinois but with the right care it can survive, you just have to be careful about windburn in the winter. Now the tree itself isn't that large because it's still young and the winters here (like this one that won't end because we have loving snow in April) stunt its annual growth. Upon the first confrontation, the neighbor admitted he had cut it down but upon further questioning will say nothing/denies doing it at all and my parents really have no idea what to do from here, and I want to be able to help them.

quote:

On to the real update I don't have the full picture I was tangentially involved after my original post at best. My parents ended up getting a lawyer (obviously), and it ended up growing to a team of three lawyers. It started with them billing hourly, but the guy ended up doing something to end up pissing them off so much that they switched over to being paid on contingency and we got lawyers costs included in our settlement. And for those of you saying follow the lumber you ended up being right, there is a house in Michigan that will be constructed using lumber gained from our tree. I never did find out about his motive for cutting down our tree and apparently its bad enough to get the "I'll tell you when you are older" phrase from my dad. But generally, it was good news, one day my dad came in all excited saying about how "we own him, we own his kids, and we own his grandkids' grandkids." It turns out we are going to be getting three 50-year-old sequoias instead of 1 big 150-year-old sequoia because they will be easier to transport. My parents say that we will also plant a new sapling Sequoia when I go off to college.

It's still bittersweet though, we still don't have our tree back, the neighbor is going to have to sell his farm to pay for it all and when its all said and done those three trees may not even survive through their first winter here anyway and we are out of a monetary settlement that could have paid for the college of both me and any children I may end up having.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Best I can figure is they think it's akin to mowing your neighbor's overgrown lawn. In one of the stories a neighbor thought the trees needed to go because one time they dropped some branches in the road during a storm. Another one had his neighbor's tree removed for blocking his view. The judge who lost to the city was trying to get a better view too. They're just plants! Who cares about some drat nuisance plants??

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ashcans posted:

If all the white people fled Stone Mountain, maybe we can finally scour off that horrible carving now? Or rig some sort of landslide to cover it, then turn the place back over to the native american groups that had lived there.

The people who defend the carving coincidentally won't go anywhere near the city of Stone Mountain.

My parents grew up nearby in Avondale Estates at a time when the HOA wouldn't even allow minorities to buy houses. I overheard one of my aunts talking about visiting it recently and how much it's "declined" (it hasn't)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wonder if it's like how most people like their representative but hate congress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Like anyone pays taxes on their tips