Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

Well, it's $270k over 18 years starting whenever she turns 62. $15k a year, paid out around 30 years from now, is worth something like $30k in todays money. I didn't run that through a calculator, that's just my recollection. I have a pension that's worth about the same, and there was talk of a buyout, so I ran the calculator about a year ago.

Either way it's a poor decision, but it's not really hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Actually it's $98k discounted at the 30 year treasury rate. Not sure how you got anywhere close to $30k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

You've come to the right thread

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

When people talk about themselves in this thread, it leads exactly to those lovely discussions about whether or not someone's hobby horse is BWM, which was just awful.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

There's moral reasons you shouldn't ask those questions but also practical reasons - even if the outcome in court is likely to be in your favor whether or not you were bigoted, your employer doesn't want to pay for lawyers either. Why pay more for a lawyer when you can just make it policy to not ask questions that would lead to sticky situations? Sure, lots of places don't have such policies and lots of places are also incompetently managed...

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Well if there's a phpBB forum for it, it's got to be true...

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

And what happens if you stop taking the drug?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

You don't call them cured

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 13, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I'm glad to hear it helped you.

It sounds like you'd like other people to be helped by it as well. If so, please think about finding something that appears more reputable than a link to a sketchy looking forum. That only enhances people's skepticism.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Thankfully it's per-depositor per-institution per-category. Basically the easiest way to do this is to open accounts at different banks, but if you just call up your bank and ask how to spread the money so it is all insured they will do it for you.

https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/faq.html

Fidelity, for example, will do it by splitting your deposits over something like 5 different institutions:

"If you have more than $245,000 in uninvested cash in your account, the Program maximizes your eligibility for FDIC insurance by systematically allocating this uninvested cash across multiple program banks. At a minimum, there are generally five banks available to accept customer deposits, making customers eligible for nearly $1,250,000 of FDIC insurance."

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I know a theoretical physicist who clears over half a million a year in royalties from his textbooks. Clearly everyone should publish physics 101 textbooks. Very GWM.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

lol, loving lemmings.

"look at this sap pushing a pump and dump, jokes on him though, I'm going to get in on the action!"

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Well here's the post where everyone tells him, as far as I understand it, that he is actually a pretty poo poo candidate

https://np.reddit.com/r/premed/comments/5riubf/need_advice_on_future_reapplication_3rd_time/

Apparently med schools don't value his volleyball club participation? :shrug:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

It's probably a joke but you know there are people that dumb out there

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

quote:

That's where you miss the greatest benefit of real estate. Your ROI increases with more leverage.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Today I learned it's BWL to imply that a woman has any culpability for anything

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

quote:

I thought he was doing fine because he told me he sold stocks that were making him a profit and kept the ones that were doing bad

Lol

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

"bad luck"

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Enfys posted:

Debt collectors: GWM, BWL

I just saw that the US Supreme Court has ruled that the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act doesn't apply to companies that buy debts.

The Act prevents debt collectors from doing things which would be considered abusive, deceptive or unfair. The companies that buy debt for pennies on the dollar will not be bound by this Act, so they are free to be as scummy and abusive as they like.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2017/06/12/business/12reuters-usa-court-debt.html?_r=0

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/neil-gorsuch-writes-first-opinion-as-supreme-court-justice/article/2625661

Cool I'm sure Congress will fix it

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

BWL is spending your days on a subreddit about a twitch streamer just to complain about how mean he is to the people that watch him

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Haifisch posted:

I'm guessing 'no withdrawl limits' vanishes fast if you try to cash out $250k at once. That's how it always seems to work.

No, withdrawal limits

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I mean, there is a Bitcoin ETF and it's trading at a significant premium to bitcoins themselves.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

It was my understanding that typically withholding would be calculated assuming that you received the current pay period's payment through the whole year, so a raise tends to lead to over withholding...

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Every "0%" loan I ever saw always had monthly financing charges on the order of $15/month per $1000 financed. Sure sounds like interest for all practical purposes.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Well....

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Just a reminder, the flawed but better than nothing Obamacare is the ACA or PPACA.

AHCA is the Republican replacement/dumpster fire.

It doesn't do anyone any good to conflate those two.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

You just need to work somewhere with such a lovely work life balance that your only friends are your coworkers.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

RheaConfused posted:

Cats live to be much older than 12. Especially indoor ones. I have a 14 year old that is in perfect health.

Yeah but then you have to pay for their food, throwing good money after bad.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't think there will be any clawing back. These exchanges are live fire asset transaction platforms, there aren't training wheels.

Most US exchanges bust trades regularly. I think they even did so for the flash crash of 2010.

These people are still idiots though. Those exchanges have rules that lay out when they will take action.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I imagine many of the margin calls were executed at a price where they would be left with a negative balance. I wonder how GDAX is going to handle that? I imagine they were the ones providing the margin...

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Oooh great we've found a new way to be offended.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Man he hosed up but his life would suck regardless

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Inept posted:

Who the gently caress takes a vacation overseas for less than a week?

It's not like it disqualifies you but they'll want to know what you were doing. Especially if it was a three month vacation in Moscow.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

But if it was something like that, would they really go "lol jk" a couple of years later?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

April posted:

And the bad decision train just keeps on chuggin along....

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6mphmm/we_sold_our_house_i_lost_my_income_we_have_more/?st=j5056kyv&sh=340e1a42

$36k in personal loans, vehicle payments over $1k/month.....

6% interest on their mortgage...

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I'm the average 25 year old with 80k in savings

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

GamingHyena posted:

If you have an escrow shortage you typically have the option to make a payment to cover it or 12 monthly payments, so him using his tax refund to cover part of it might make sense. As for the massive shortfall (at least relative to the previous year) it's possible the mortgage servicer hosed up and wasn't including his homeowner's insurance or taxes at all in the previous year and this represents the shortfall from that.

Yeah but then his tax refund would be like $4500

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

"I signed something to share the responsibility for payments so that the bank would actually agree to the loan, but now that the exact situation for which they required a cosigner occurs, I would like to renege. "

What do people think they're doing when they cosign? Do they even wonder why a bank is suddenly cool with giving someone money once someone else cosigns for it? Do they think it's the bank going, "hey family member, is this person totally cool with money? yes? ok, great, your totally unbiased opinion means a lot to us, here's $50k"

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I wonder how that thread would have gone if the nurse has posted that thread from her perspective? How many replies until someone claimed it was her fault?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Why do people with no money say they're ready to pursue their passions? Do they think other people aren't pursuing their passions because they're just not ready for it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Like, I realize this guy is an idiot, but he apparently figured out this was a scam before handing over the money. Surely he had other recourses than paying out 66% more than he agreed to?

Really I'm just curious what the best course of action is? Tell him to take the $300 or take it back?