Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That is just a bathroom with a loft bed in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

quote:

The people who are in really extreme situations are living on couches or in partitions.
I didn't realize living on a couch was a step down. Also, you are living in a partition you loving moron!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Where's that drat bird...

Edit:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Senor Dog posted:

How is this thread so hard for people
Because it's really hard for people to look down on people without elevating themselves.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

LLCoolJD posted:

An outspoken liberal friend of mine recently posted a "rich get richer" envy article railing against the benefits homeowners receive through the mortgage interest tax deduction. The article featured hard-up Americans who had to rent and who lacked the "wealth" to buy a home and the benefits that come with it.

Of their limited number of examples, one was a janitor with four kids and a stay-at-home wife. Another was an ex-con with a robbery conviction.
I mean, owning a home has certain perks but it's not unilaterally the best bang for your buck compared to renting. I'm not advocating the tax deduction but to point at home owning as a holy grail for wealth acquisition is... disingenuous.

Chin Strap posted:

Yeah gently caress those guys right?
If he owned a home he could be "robbing" the federal government of their hard earned tax dollars with that deduction!!! :downs:

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 2, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Coca Koala posted:

You want bad with money? Here's bad with money.

https://backchannel.com/how-the-trendiest-grilled-cheese-venture-got-burnt-aa627b0c7ae1

In short: A tech bro genius who disrupted the camera industry decides that since he is so good at disrupting, he will disrupt the sandwich industry as well, refusing to be stopped by minor nitpicks like "there isn't really a sandwich industry to disrupt" and "do you know anything about sandwiches anyways"

Oh. Well, look, running a restaurant is hard, but lots of morons do it; if you have a bunch of VC money, you can probably coast for a long time on that. You'll have plenty of time to focus on the important things.

Oh.

#smashingthestate with grilled cheese.

I don't even want to quote the final paragraph. It's too perfect of a punchline for me to pull it out. But this story of a man wasting millions of dollars on a lovely restaurant because the concept of market research just BLOWS HIS MIND is a tale for the ages.

This is a thing of absolute beauty and all of you nerds need to check it out.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe he should get a horse.

What kind of maintenance fees can we expect for horseshoe wear and tear? What happens if you get a flat hoof and the nearest farrier is miles away!!!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Higgy posted:

Take out a Horse Equinty Line of Credit and call the horse tow truck duh.
Look at this loving guy right here.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Forget bad with money, this dude is apparently great with money for managing to mostly keep it from this significant other for so long:

My boyfriend [M30] has been lying to me [F30] about his income for YEARS.

quote:

I [F30] met my boyfriend [M30] about 4 years ago. He had an okay job doing IT type work for a security company and was trying to start up an online business on the side. Then about 2 years ago, he came home from work one day saying he'd been laid off. He told me his online business could 'keep him afloat' while he looked for another job.

He never got another job. He paid his bills with his online income but getting money out of him for anything else was always a fight. For the longest time I was fine with it, but I eventually came to my breaking point. A few months ago I called him 'cheap' over a grocery bill and we got into this huge argument. The topic of his 'long term career goals' was brought up and he got unreasonably defensive. We 'made up' a few days later, but our relationship hasn't really been in a good place since.

Last Sunday, my boyfriend was at his parents for the night and I decided to clean up our place a bit. I ended up coming across his tax returns for last year which were left out in his office. He made TEN TIMES (10x) more than I thought he was making. He lives and spends like he's on welfare, so I thought $20K-ish. He made $227K in 2016.

I feel like he's robbed us both of happiness and fun experiences all due to his cheapness. He refuses to go out to eat more than 1-2 times a month. Both our vehicles are 10+ years old but he wouldn't go 50/50 with me on a new one. And forget buying a house, going on trips or anything like that. You know, normal stuff everyone our age does? That's all 'a waste of money' to him.

The whole situation is infuriating. He's steered our relationship into this awful place and for what? Because he wants to hoard his money and keep me in the dark? I'm beyond pissed but I don't know what to do, how to bring it up with him. I want to confront him tonight about it but I don't even know where to start.

TL;DR -- My boyfriend [M30] has been lying to me [F30] about his income for years, he makes significantly more than he had let on.
This dude is extremely GWM for not marrying this person.

I don't subscribe to r/frugal or anything, but this woman is laying some serious expectations onto her significant other. "He didn't want to go 50/50 on these things that clearly only I want!" Jesus.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 6, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Higgy posted:

I'd be interested to see if the dude is actually hoarding cash or if there's another habit he's hiding. Good on him if he's actually saving (not so good for being weird and hiding his goals from his SO) but something tells me that's not the case.
I mean, maybe, but this is the BWM thread so I feel like we're a little primed for that. From her tone I could imagine a not-very-assertive IT-type dude preferring to just keep his finances a secret so he doesn't get bulldozed by a demanding SO.

No Butt Stuff posted:

He could be dumping more of it back into the business, or just have expenses and she read something incorrectly.
This is brought up ad nauseum in the comments and I think it's also a viable conclusion to draw. "I saw a large number and I'm outraged!" does not lead one to make informed decisions.

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's OK to be extremely frugal if you are open about it with your SO and can work out how it's going to work for you both. But this guy was sponging off his girlfriend for groceries while making plenty to cover his fair share. They don't sound at all compatible.
Yeah there's definitely relationship issues in all of this. I don't know if I would call what little I know of their situation "sponging off of his girlfriend" for groceries. The way she presented it, it sounded like she wanted him to pay for something that he didn't want to pay for.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

One of the comments scolding her says, "I have no idea what my wife makes, but I would be happy to find out she made 300k!"

I find that weirder than her insistence that it is "fair" for them to go "50/50" on a new car for her.
I can imagine a world of high-priced lawyers who keep a cold and sterile existence punctuated by bouts of vodka-fueled lovemaking but I haven't finished writing that e-book yet.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm torn on that one. On one hand, thinking that a 10 year old car is too old when you are both making very little money is BWM, wanting to go on trips when you make very little money is BWM, buying a house like that is BWM, but saying you make less than 1/10th of what you do to your significant other is T(errible)WL.
The way it's presented this dude never said he made $X, they just never talked about their joint finances. That could say a few things about him, but it definitely says something about their relationship. :rip:

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 6, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Randler posted:

Out of professional interest re: the tax forms she found. Would that 227k figure be based on accrual accounting or on cash accounting? Or does the US tax system not stipulate how a taxpayer has to calculate profit?
It does stipulate and that would be checked if it was a copy of a Form 1120.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I want to say it could be a situation like my dad's desk where it's just full of loving paperwork clutter 900% of the time, but he also keeps things in nice "organized" piles and every married couple I've ever seen does not gently caress with the other person's "filing system." In other words, I feel like snooping is more likely though dun goof is possible.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I am prepared for the guillotine but I make >5x my wife (total >$100,001/year including a schedule C) and we split expenses 50:50. She sends me half the bills including the stable fees in BTC each month.
You had me going for a second there.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Of course there's an American flag on it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

(Fun Fact: The party is being catered by a local restaurant who will only be serving food from The Official American Girl Doll Cookbook.)
What the gently caress.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Goons, don't!!!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Blinkman987 posted:

Didn't a police force sue for the right to hire people of below average intelligence because it helps their retention rate?

How bad does a person need to be in general to not get in?
Speaking as somebody from the military: you have no idea.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"It is horse dancing, madam."

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ranbo das posted:

The whole Drumpf thing kinda turned me off to John Oliver. Like ok Trump making fun of people for changing their name is bad, got it. But then turning around and making fun of Trump for one of his ancestors changing their name and then selling merchandise with the old name on it rubbed me kinda wrong. Doesn't that put us literally exactly where he was? Shouldn't we be above the name-calling of the Republican party, rather than criticizing it and then immediately sinking to their level?
Didn't he do this specifically because Trump gave somebody a hard time about their name though? Maybe I'm misremembering but it seemed like clear satire at Trump's hypocrisy.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

You get into murky territory, efficiency-wise, when you're already so filthy loving rich that "maxing your retirement accounts" is a blip on the radar in terms of wealth management. The rules break down, like exotic matter at super low temperatures or being a white person on trial for white-collar crime. Sure, you could donate that seven figures to cancer research or open a women's shelter, but when your precious little girl or tantrum-throwing little boy looks at you with those round, glassy eyes (maybe the Vicodin's kicking in) and says, "Daddy I need one, maybe two thoroughbred horses at my wedding." I mean, what's a father to do? What are we, savages? I remember when your grandfather used to sit me on his knee and tell me the story about when he tore the liver out of a still-living Nazi soldier with his bare hands while fighting in the War. Inside of that liver he found a nodule which when you held it just right up to the light looked like an American Bald Eagle. And he said, "That's how I knew the American Dream was still alive." And I believe him now to this day. My child will get married to their partner, a person with good bone structure and a name like "Kegan" or "Serah" or "Werstal" and there will be horses, damnit. There will be so many loving horses. The entire wedding party will be riding horses. Our god-fearing protestant minister will be riding a chestnut brown Belgian. Afterwards the horses will race, and the winner will be thrown into a crowd of women to determine who will be the next lucky bride. Horsemeat hors-d'oeuvres. A multi-layered chocolate cake, which itself will sit resting on a chocolate-colored living horse. My little girl will get her loving horses! Just like her grandfather wouldn't give his sweet daughter even though she had to take the hush money from the unnamed senator so they wouldn't drag his name through the mud in court. Horses! Horses!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

canyoneer posted:

The Huns used to conduct business, diplomacy and politics seated on horseback.
Some employers are combining workouts with job interviews.
http://www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/2017/06/12/exercise-during-interviews/

Will we see horse interviews someday? Will business students take a class learning the etiquette of horse interviews?
You can make love on a horse too, y'know. Really makes you think.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ashcans posted:

I think that however much money you have, if you do something objectively stupid like rent your cat, you are fair game for being mocked in this thread, even if you don't wreck your life/future with it.
Absolutely. It's true that at a certain level of rich, you can no longer really gently caress up by doing things that us normal plebs would simply say, "That's mathematically suboptimal." You can do stupid poo poo and not have it affect your bottom line. But being bad with money isn't about, "Being bad about acquiring/retaining wealth." It's about, "Being bad with using wealth." Just because it doesn't hurt your net worth doesn't mean it isn't justifiably stupid. Going out without a jacket on a cold day probably won't kill you, but doing so willingly to show off your sick tats is a stupid thing to do, not because it slightly endangers your health but because you're a chode.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

If you're going to try to gently caress with the IRS maybe don't do it in public, guy.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"Guilty." - a judge, sometime in the future.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ohgodwhat posted:

BWL is spending your days on a subreddit about a twitch streamer just to complain about how mean he is to the people that watch him
And yet, here we are.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Speaking as a horrible pedant in real life, there is never a good time to be a pedant. If you could start your sentence with, "Actually..." just don't say it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Um, actually, there are times it's appropriate to go "actually...". :smug:

But really, people don't like feeling condescended to even if you're right. Learning to pick your battles is GWL.
My personal experience is that you earn the right to correct people when you have established trust with them, and even then you still need to pick your battles when it's worth it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"You shouldn't waste your money on Starbucks every morning" is condescending.

Informing people about marginal tax rates if they genuinely don't understand how tax brackets work, is not condescending.

Arguing with them about the government if they don't believe you is condescending.
When you try to talk to somebody about something they don't understand and don't really have any interest in understanding, they hear noises like the voices of adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I feel a bird a-creepin. He is a-creepin.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Shut up, dummies.

Would a fairly small loan (~$5000) be a good alternative to getting minimum wage job while in college?

quote:

I'm currently going into my junior year of college as an Electrical/Computer Engineering major. After the money that my parents give me to pay for some of my education along with the money I've saved for college, my remaining expenses end up running somewhere around $2500 per year. I was unable to find any work related to my major over this summer and I really don't have much interest in working a minimum wage job during what will probably be my last extended free time until retirement. Since I still need a few thousand dollars, I was thinking a good option might be to take out a fairly small loan to cover my expenses until I graduate.

Normally, I would say that it isn't a good idea to spend money you don't really have, but I feel quite confident that I will be able to find a job without too much trouble (employment rate for EECE is >95%) and be able to pay off this loan in a matter of months if not weeks.

Is this a reasonable option or would I be making a mistake doing this?

If it would be a good option, where should I look for loans like this?

Holy poo poo his reply when he was told to just get a loving job:

quote:

Why should I do things I don't enjoy if it's unnecessary? I'm aware that having a job is part of being an adult, but I don't see why I shouldn't enjoy this summer. I'll have an internship next summer and I'll work for the rest of my life after that. Why spend my last summer doing something to make $10 when I'll be making many times that after graduation and won't have a lot of trouble paying it off? In addition, I have been mowing lawns as you suggest. I'm just not making anywhere near enough and options are more limited than you might expect near me. I live in the middle of nowhere, but I've been mowing all three lawns within a reasonable distance.
He sounds like every teenager ever. It's adorable.

Edit: Got it before the inevitable meltdown deletion.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 16, 2017

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Blinkman987 posted:

People lease smartphones now. The industry wants leasing a phone to be the standard.

Sometimes I think about all the money that goes into the finance vacuum instead of buying more stuff that actually exists and get really sad. But a paradigm shift where people stopped financing dumb stuff would require a complete overhaul of humanity so that's not happening.
They're doing this because phone loans are being securitized. It's a whole new sector that the financial market is actively salivating over. The phone companies - who get to sell off the risk associated with the loans to third parties - partner up with the banks - who would love nothing more than to get a slice of a market they previously had no connection with - and you get a beautiful alien baby.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BigDave posted:

Is there anything that can't be securitized? Next thing you know, Comcast is gonna start selling securities based on my cable contract.
They absolutely will.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

The life insurance part is called a viatical settlement. Basically you buy a chunk or all of the death benefit from a policy for less than the actual death benefit is worth and when they die you pocket the difference.
This sounds like you're betting against the actuaries. That's amazing.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

Mattress equity.
They say you can't put a price on a good night's sleep but we are in fact securitizing it and there will be an ETF shortly.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Low lighting and some candelabras
Dog, ain't no hammocks in Castlevania.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Have fun with that 10% cash advance penalty and 25% APR. Bitcoin should outpace that right?
I wonder if anybody has ever pointed out that if you finally do reach the moon you have to land on it without crashing. ("*coin to the moon!")

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Future idiots: "I was struggling when Obamacare took away my healthcare, but then Trump got elected and I got an plan on the state exchange website! But then the Democrats kept voting against healthcare so my prices went up! So I'm voting Republican until I die!"
Stop, this is too accurate. You're bumming me out.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I like when people try to explain to me what they do and don't like about government intervention in healthcare.
"I like it when I am given things and I do not like when other people are given things." - a historical account of human suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dillbag posted:

Wasn't sure whether to post this in this thread or the schadenfreude thread...

https://twitter.com/StockTwits/status/877621142734778368

Delicious.