Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

If there is a god, hell should be full of people like this man's parents. :colbert:

That's royally hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
It was dumb for the girl to come out to the parents but it only looks "reckless" post-hoc. Dude clearly didn't expect his parents to lie to him, defraud him, and use the money to put his sister in such a dire situation. Girl probably thought they'd disown her or kick her out at worst.

Edit: I agree the guy was too trusting of his parents though. I hope his sister survives this (unironically - people die in those camps).

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/6l3at3/should_i_sell_my_calgary_condo_i_moved_to_the_gta/

quote:

In 2014, I was living in Calgary, and I bought my first home (a 900 square foot condo, two bedroom condo in the suburbs). I was working in oil and gas, and I had a lot of extra cash. I invested some in stocks, but I thought I should buy my own home too (as an investment; and I wasn't liking the apartment I was renting).
However, shortly after I moved in (early 2015), I got laid off my oil and gas job, which was paying 67k (I'm early in my career).
After not being able to find a job in Calgary, I decided to move to Ontario and change careers/go back to school in August 2015. I intended to move back to Calgary as soon as I finished school/ the economy got better. However, the following has now happened:
-I've graduated from school -The economy is still bad in Calgary -I'm still having a hard time getting a job in Calgary. Meanwhile, it's not hard for me to get a job in the GTA. In the GTA, I can get a job with a salary between 65k-80k/year. -I don't know if I'll ever be able to return to Calgary (even though I want to, and I'll try). If I start working in the GTA, I'll no longer be in oil and gas, making it harder to get such industry experience. Also, I work in quite a niche area, where jobs are only available in big cities (Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver...I need to be bilingual for Montreal, which I'm not). -My tenant has decided to move out, so I need to find a new one (and I'll need to hire somebody, since I'm in Ontario). -Given the bad Calgary rental market, I have to "feed in" a lot. In particular, for my Calgary rental property:

Mortgage: 1,276 - variable, but little risk of payments going up Maintenance: 448/month (keeps going up annually, above inflation rate) Property taxes: 175/month (keeps going up annually, above inflation rate) Property manager: 85/month (does NOT include finding another tenant, which would involve an additional fee) -Taxes on rental income: $200/month

However, I can only rent it out for $1,600 in Calgary.

Meanwhile, in the GTA, I expect to be renting a 1-bedroom condo for $1,700/month. I doubt that with the salary I'd be making in the GTA, I'd be able to buy a good quality condo (i.e. good quality construction, etc). Plus, I would want to move back to Calgary (if I can....see above).
What should I do? I'm kind of concerned about selling in Calgary - what if Calgary booms again (or an influx of foreign money comes in?). Also, is buying in the GTA worth it? I'd get a smaller place, plus I'm worried that there's a bubble that's about to collapse.
However, if I keep my rental property, I'd be feeding in $500/month to cover all costs...
Thanks for your assistance!

Lol at this clown. $1984 per month expenses on $1600 per month rent, and not even factoring in the costs of getting new tenants, which can run you up to a month's rent not counting the time when your property is vacant.

Double lol at him thinking he'll get $1600 per month. I know a guy renting his house out for $1700 right now after the bottom of the market fell out.

Triple lol at "little risk of payments going up" as interest rates in Canada are almost certainly going up soon and it's all over the loving news right now.

Quadruple lol and now i'm dead at "should i buy a place in Toronto?" :downs:

Amateur landlords never cease to amaze me. God bless mine for subsidizing my living expenses though.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Ixian posted:

This guy will probably be paying that the rest of his life or close enough.

Same reason otherwise GWM people keep buying houses in the middle of bubbles - "it's good debt!"

A lot of the old personal finance advice is becoming outdated but nobody seems to be questioning it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Twerk from Home posted:

This varies dramatically by local market, but trying to time the housing market is like trying to time any other market: not a long-term winning plan.

In markets where houses are expensive but rent is even more expensive, why not buy a house if it's significantly cheaper than renting something similar? You even get a tax subsidy because we've decided that high-income homeowners deserve the largest chunk of government benefits.

One of the arguable signs of a housing bubble is rents are significantly cheaper than mortgaging and investor/landlords are losing money on houses month-to-month, because the demand is among investors not people that will buy and inhabit. You'll also see a lot of vacant houses in a bubble market, for example.

I absolutely agree that this will vary by market. That's my problem with advice like "housing debt is always good debt".

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting you should try to time the housing market, but if the cost of a single family home is 12x your yearly gross family income then maybe buying said house might be a BWM move and you should ignore people who say "all mortgage debt is good debt :downs:".

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Good Parmesan posted:

A healthy 1,100-pound horse will eat feed and hay costing from $100 to more than $250 per month on average.

Doesn't have to cost that much to feed your horses :colbert:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Ebola Roulette posted:

4 horses: food, shots, medical, etc: $3,500/year.

Ebola Roulette posted:

Chinese Take out 2-3x a month = $100/month. It's my only indulgence.

:raise:

Pets are an "indulgence" and horses are a goddamned luxury. Jesus.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Standard early retirement fare - get good-paying work young, save every penny possible, and you have a solid shot of being able to live off the savings by ~40. Some of the information is a bit dated at this point.

I think it's worth noting that they basically invented the FI/RE genre. The investment advice they gave is the most outdated part but I read they've somewhat updated it in more recent editions.

I actually like the book and the idea of calculating your actual hourly salary (i.e. subtract money spent supporting your career, count long commute times as "working hours", etc) and then seeing how many "hours" the things you buy actually cost you.

I do think the voluntary poverty lifestyle they espouse is pretty extreme and not worth it, and it might push some people to go into BWL territory trying to achieve it, like eating out of dumpsters :barf:.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
This is probably going into derail territory but I found this tool to be a good one for estimating if your savings will support your retirement (early or otherwise):

http://www.firecalc.com

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I think Nick Denton was a mere millionaire. Pathetic.

Best part of that case (and really a BWM story if you think about it) was when a Gawker writer tried 90s-style "edgy" internet humor on the witness stand and learned that doesn't go over so well in court.

Edgelord defense never works. The writer should have tried screaming "it was just a PRANK relax bro" from the stand over and over.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

As I understand it your critical thinking skills are mostly a factor of your relationship with authority. Children who are taught to question authority can be taught critical thinking skills more effectively, and most grow them naturally during the process of being taught to ask questions. We have huge cultural obstacles to doing that on a wide scale, unfortunately. In a lot of the country just regular public school education is already seen as poisoning children against their elders.

At best I can see it as "critical thinkers also question authority" but not "people that question authority are critical thinkers." I know people that question authority but this somehow lead them to paths where they fell wholesale for unconventional ideas that they didn't critically evaluate at the time - becoming randroids, joining MLMs, and in one case joining a cult (the ultimate BWM move).

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

Can someone just ban this idiot? This is not a joke.

I just checked and john smith has never actually contributed any outside content to the current incarnation of this thread. Nada. What little he "contributes" tends to be posts about how Übermensch he is, either directly or obliquely by way of responding to real content. I mean, even Tiny Brontosaurus at least contributes outside CONTENT to the thread. John Smith is just attention whoring.

Everyone needs to stop helping him ruin the thread and stop interacting with him at all.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Guest2553 posted:

Some guy posts a lot of words justifying his failed market timing attempt.

1775 words of masturbatory post hoc rationalization and deep thoughts on geopolitics follows to be capped off by some face-saving bullshit:

My favorite bit that's almost thread-title worthy:

I can literally metaphorically hear the tubas going *womp womp* in the background

If this guy manages to make any money actively trading in his TFSA there's a decent chance he'll get hit with capital gains taxes anyway.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, the threshold is relatively low for being deemed an active trader by the CRA. The threshold is somewhere under 50 trades/year AIUI.

My understanding is they also take a closer look at you if you're in finance. OP definitely qualifies.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Methanar posted:

With the impending global economic collapse looming, what should I be doing with my money?

LOL if there is a global economic collapse then GWM is to invest in shotgun shells and shelf-stable food.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Haifisch posted:

Crossposting from the /r/relationships thread:

Major problem with GF (26f) of 3 years. I (27m) just took a job as a leasing agent/manager for a group of apartment complexes. I get free rent, I think that she should pay half market value. She thinks I'm being a jerk. We're stuck.

Top comments are all pointing out how bad of a deal taking the free apartment is.

To be fair, soon he will no longer have to "support" his "not very rational" girlfriend. GWM.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what winter climates aren't using salt

Anywhere that goes below -10°C is going to rely much more on sanding roads.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

smackfu posted:

I’ve seen a lot of 1BR with a “study”. Calling it a 2BR when it doesn’t actually have two seems wrong though.

Yeah, the right way seems to be to call that a 1+1 and that seems to be the trend in Ontario. It would sure be nice if realtor.ca didn't include 1+1 condos in the "2BR" search results though.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

blast from the past:

They made the news: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...-wife-1.4503521

quote:

"Neither of us drink, smoke, do drugs or any of those. So spending $10 or eight dollars on a pop [toy] as opposed to $10 on a pack of cigarettes is OK for us especially when we have something to show for it."

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
For a 3BR 800 sq ft is kinda small. 800 sq ft for 2BR or 1000 sq ft for 3BR is fine though.