Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DentD posted:

^^ oh yes.

On the note of Shadow's race now being very explicit in this new medium, I'm not sure how to feel about the imagery at the end of the episode where he's lynched by a white mob. Yes, I realize that within the story it ties into some overarching themes about his godly heritage. But I feel like this was a very conscious decision on the shows part to make some kind of commentary on American racism. I don't know if it's gonna pan out or fail miserably but I doubt this will be the last example of blatant racist imagery we see.

Connecting lynching to Odin's sacrifice of himself to himself is, if nothing else, the kind of thing that would piss Nazi neo-pagans off so much I'm willing to wait and see where they go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

Meet Czernobog:

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/5/5/15544738/american-gods-czernobog-episode-2

What kind of loving Faustian bargain did this show's casting director have to make to get all these spot-on, amazing people together in one project? Is American Gods somehow responsible for Donald Trump?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know how Bryan Fuller convinced someone to give him a truckload of money to make more of the stuff that got Hannibal canceled, but I'm so happy he did.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That dude's a little testy about it but no, Neil Gaiman's just not a very good writer, especially outside of the comic medium.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Normal Adult Human posted:

Neil Gaiman is such an exceptional Urban Fantasy author that he has actually broken the barrier and become a lovely fiction writer.

:drat:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I knew who he was as soon as they said "Mr. Wednesday" because "it's my day" but I had a lot of exposure to Norse myth growing up.

Of course I was also completely blindsided by the Loki reveal so who knows. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

precision posted:

One wonders if Freya gets some power from Friday being worshiped by everyone with an office job

Freya suffered a fate worse than death

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's funny because you're expecting something scandalous but nah, guy just likes horses.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

It must suck to be somebody who has to pour over a book for errors and analyze it on a technical level instead of just digging the setting, narrative and characters.

Because I really enjoyed American Gods :shrug:

Not really. It leads you to a richer enjoyment of things that are actually good.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also there's no way its worse written than anything pre-20th century. Old school writing, with the sole exception of Shakespeare (because he was writing plays, not books) is so loving painfully dry.

also it gives you the privilege of not being this guy lmao

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

What would you consider "actually good"

I mean, I love all kinds of trash media, it's not like I set the bar all that high. But even if we're just talking about Neil Gaiman in particular then Sandman and his short stories are much better than any of his full-length novels.

e: sandman's kind of apples to oranges of course but then again that's also why it works

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 4, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

That doesn't answer my question.

Sure it does.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

April posted:

I think that Taliesin was Merlin's teacher, in the King Arthur stories.

He was a real historical person: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliesin

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I mean, he's probably also a character in Arthurian legend, the two aren't exactly exclusive. King Arthur is like one big fanfiction shared universe for Medieval writers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

But that's such a...contemporary notion of very non-contemporary gods. It's not actually godly. It's not actually mythological. In actual mythology -- which is a bit of an oxymoron, I know -- the idea of gods being reliant on humans for anything is incredibly rare to the point of being anathematic to what godhood is.

I absolutely agree, but basically by watching a show like this you're agreeing to suspend disbelief and indulge in the sort of New Age woo, mind-over-matter, power of belief that Gaiman and now Fuller are drawing on, at least for the sake of the story. That's the mythology the show is actually about, not Norse or Greek or Hawaiian or whatever. That stuff's just window dressing. (As it is in most fiction, unfortunately.)

e: Or perhaps it would be more accurate not to call it window dressing, but to say that American Gods has a totalizing lens through which it views all other mythology. Which, to be fair, is very American. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hannibal didn't "lose" those things so much as it has its own and doesn't care what the book did. Like, Hannibal Lecter in the books is a cold, rational predator. He's like a shark, or a murderous android; he's not that interesting, honestly, but doesn't need to be since he's more of a plot device than anything else. In the TV series though he's a main character and so by necessity Fuller makes him into this larger than life Dracula / Lucifer character instead, and it owns.

• Locked thread