Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Hey, Amazon has a thing where a bunch of marvel first volume TPBs are on their Prime Reading list, so if you've got any stuff on that list you haven't already checked out, it's free to do so now!

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

That's a pretty great assortment of jumping-on points for new and casual readers. Go, Amazon!

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Abraham Riesman's pop culture articles, essays, and interviews on Vulture are uniformly great, and his new piece on Stan Lee is no exception. Most people here will already know most of this stuff about Stan the Man and his checkered legacy, but it's worth a read anyway:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/stan-lees-universe-c-v-r.html

quote:

He even pitched an erotic comic strip to Playboy, starring characters with names like “High Priestess Clitanna” and “Lord Peckerton.”

Somehow Stan gets better and better the more I read about him. :allears:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

I'm going to be scarce for a bit due to a death in my immediate family. So reports will likely go unread for the next five or six days as I'll only be using the app on my phone if I drop by. If something that needs any real attention comes up, not that this ever happens here anyway, PM me and I'll get to it if I can or get someone that can get to it.

Sorry for your loss X-O.

We will be good.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CapnAndy posted:

I never ever will, :hfive: to everyone who's been there from that thread to now.

Sup, shoutouts to my pre-BSS homies, though there ain't many of us OGs left.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
word fam

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

Given that there's a lot of stories where Dr Strange travels through time, is there a story where someone else (or Strange himself) travels back to grab a pre-injury Dr Strange to perform a difficult surgery?

Not that I know of, but there was a recent issue where he recruits Thor to perform surgery for him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I need a good long run on Marvel Unlimited, I've already read most of the obvious stuff (all the classic Kirby, Lee, Ditko, Simonson's Thor, Miller and Bendis' Daredevil, Claremont X-Men, most everything Bendis now that I think about it). I'm going to be answering phones all day tomorrow and there should be a decent amount of down time between calls so I need a something to entertain me that's easy to drop and pickup again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Give Exiles a shot

Edit - Or work your way through the old Dark Horse Star Wars stuff (Tales, KOTOR, Legacy, Empire, Republic, Rebellion)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Abraham Riesman's pop culture articles, essays, and interviews on Vulture are uniformly great, and his new piece on Stan Lee is no exception. Most people here will already know most of this stuff about Stan the Man and his checkered legacy, but it's worth a read anyway:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/stan-lees-universe-c-v-r.html

WORD. You turned me onto his stuff and when I found a slight error in an article and politely pointed it out in a PM he very graciously thanked me and corrected it. Very cool guy and excellent writer.

Also FCBD was nuts, best showing ever and I clocked 14 hours straight.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I need a good long run on Marvel Unlimited, I've already read most of the obvious stuff (all the classic Kirby, Lee, Ditko, Simonson's Thor, Miller and Bendis' Daredevil, Claremont X-Men, most everything Bendis now that I think about it). I'm going to be answering phones all day tomorrow and there should be a decent amount of down time between calls so I need a something to entertain me that's easy to drop and pickup again.

Grant Morrison's New X-Men, Peter David's X-Factor, Rick Remender's X-Force, Vin Diesel's xXx

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

You could also do the complete Kid Loki saga, then go into young avengers->agent of asgard.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

WORD. You turned me onto his stuff and when I found a slight error in an article and politely pointed it out in a PM he very graciously thanked me and corrected it. Very cool guy and excellent writer.

Also FCBD was nuts, best showing ever and I clocked 14 hours straight.

Can you relax at all tomorrow?

I found an error in another one of Riesman's pieces -- pretty sure he got the name for OCP wrong in his Robocop retrospective. I sent him a tweet, and he was super-cool about it.

He seems like a cool nerd living the dream, writing about stuff he loves and getting to interview people he thinks are awesome. I'm glad New York Magazine continues to give him the platform.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

If you read Bendis' New Avengers, then read Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts, Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man (at least #1-19), and Jonathan Hickman's Secret Warriors, which all tie in and out of it.
Ed Brubaker's Daredevil (picks up right where Bendis left off), and then Mark Waid's.
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.
Peter Milligan and Mike Allred's X-Force/X-Statix.
Ed Brubaker's Captain America.
Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist.
Matt Fraction's Hawkeye.
Dan Slott's She-Hulk (at least the first 12 issues are excellent and fun, and the rest ranges from good to okay), and then Charles Soule's.
Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RELAXING IS FOR THE WEAK

7 hour shift tomorrow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mover posted:

You could also do the complete Kid Loki saga, then go into young avengers->agent of asgard.

I've already read all that and I was specifically looking to avoid stuff with crossovers, just 30 some odd issues of decent storytelling and art.

If you read Bendis' New Avengers, then read Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts, Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man (at least #1-19), and Jonathan Hickman's Secret Warriors, which all tie in and out of it.
Ed Brubaker's Daredevil (picks up right where Bendis left off), and then Mark Waid's.
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.
Peter Milligan and Mike Allred's X-Force/X-Statix.
Ed Brubaker's Captain America.
Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist.
Matt Fraction's Hawkeye.
Dan Slott's She-Hulk (at least the first 12 issues are excellent and fun, and the rest ranges from good to okay), and then Charles Soule's.
Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Yeah this is my problem I've read everything in this post. I need some super deep cuts. I'm gonna check out Exiles, it doesn't have any crossovers early one does it?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

I've already read all that and I was specifically looking to avoid stuff with crossovers, just 30 some odd issues of decent storytelling and art. And I've already tread that.

Yeah this is my problem I've read everything in this post. I need some super deep cuts. I'm gonna check out Exiles, it doesn't have any crossovers early one does it?

I don't recall it having any until House of M, which I think is around the 70s?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Awesome, the no crossover thing is just because I'll be reading on a tablet and Marvel Unlimited is still an annoying rear end app to use for crossovers. I read Kraven's Last Hunt a couple months ago and I spent almost as much time trying to find the next issue as I did reading any of them. (Good story btw, If they added a way to share "playlists" for lack of a better word Marvel Unlimited would be the best loving thing ever instead of just being pretty awesome)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I need some super deep cuts

Cause of this article I wanted to try this obscure Cable run, but quit MU before I got around to it.
http://www.cbr.com/collect-this-now-soldier-x/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cause of this article I wanted to try this obscure Cable run, but quit MU before I got around to it.
http://www.cbr.com/collect-this-now-soldier-x/

Man, the David Tischman run of Cable was fuckin excellent. I wish he hadn't left when he did, the book had so much potential. I own the trades of his Cable stuff but I think I sold off my Soldier X issues in a garage sale.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Roth posted:

Even that isn't really a crossover. You don't need to read House of M to understand whats going on.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Speaking of Cable, get #45-70 (including #-1), which starts out written by James Robinson, and then Joe Casey took over around #50. Excellent work, establishing Cable as a player in the larger MCU, freeing him a bit from the complicated X-continuity. Jose Ladronn provides a lot of great, Kirby-esque artwork.

I'm also a huge Arthur Adams fan, so get the New Mutants Special Edition, Uncanny X-Men Annuals #9, 10, 12, and 14, Excalibur: Mojo Mayhem, X-Factor #41-42, and Fantastic Four #347-349. He also drew Longshot #1-6 (his earliest work), but I hated those.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Awesome, the no crossover thing is just because I'll be reading on a tablet and Marvel Unlimited is still an annoying rear end app to use for crossovers. I read Kraven's Last Hunt a couple months ago and I spent almost as much time trying to find the next issue as I did reading any of them. (Good story btw, If they added a way to share "playlists" for lack of a better word Marvel Unlimited would be the best loving thing ever instead of just being pretty awesome)
There's a crossover with Uncanny X-Men before House of M.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Mike Carey's written a book or two but I have no idea if they're any good or not.

The Girl with All the Gifts is pretty good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Read wolverine: the best there is, priest's black panther, the original Champion's run, the original Luke cage, and the original iron fist.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
This chat about about identity crisis and BSS: year one is making me curious about what the first years of BSS were like and what the dirt was on the various goons that were o.g.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

This chat about about identity crisis and BSS: year one is making me curious about what the first years of BSS were like and what the dirt was on the various goons that were o.g.

I used to get in a lot of fights and another BSS "founder" smoked a fuckload of weed.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I honestly can't think of a meaningful difference between pre- and post-crisis BSS. If I had to guess (and it's so far back my memory is really blurry and I could be mixing eras):

Media piracy (vs software or high seas) was basically acceptable on SA; NMP3, DPPH, and... I could swear some other torrent sub existed, and between that and Direct Connect you could assume that BSS was more up-to-date with comics. This meant more people posting in general.

There was a weekly review thread where people would talk about/review comics. They were prohibited eventually, I think because there was a desire for the current megathread style and some other reason. They were a mix of good and bad.

More flamewars/helldumping, as was the du jure of that time. But not with the weird malice that seems to infect these (and other) forums these days? I dunno. But also more banning.

Goons bought accounts for some writers, Ellis and Simone are the ones I remember. Then other emotionally/mentally unstable goons would start rapidly trolling/making GBS threads on them until they left, usually within a few days.

For the most part, though, the changes have been minor.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 8, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i was a woman for a little while

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

i was a woman for a little while

Greatest timeline

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhyno posted:

I used to get in a lot of fights and another BSS "founder" smoked a fuckload of weed.
"used to"

I miss Bolt Vanderhuge's Liefeld Cap avatar.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To be fair, Simone was a terrible poster.

Much like me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

nice

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

To be fair, Simone was a terrible poster.

On the other hand, it did give us the great bathtub burning by Sgt. Rock.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

Are you talking about fights in BSS or fights with kids at the Good Ol' TRU?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Edge & Christian posted:

Are you talking about fights in BSS or fights with kids at the Good Ol' TRU?

Fighting off twins, IIRC.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Was Taters posted:

Fighting off twins, IIRC.

Am I crazy or have you not posted here in like, years?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

purple death ray posted:

Am I crazy or have you not posted here in like, years?

Rhyno scared me off.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Was Taters posted:

Rhyno scared me off.

Ditto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!