Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RandallODim posted:

loving hell, this is the worst derail, my podcast just did an episode on favorite costumes and character designs, what are some people's favorites, I like Namor, please just can we move on

OG Spider-Man, Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

RandallODim posted:

Future Foundation F4 is actually a really great one I didn't think of, and both Odinson and Thor's outfits were high contenders for my faves. What about the fishscale Cap in particular do you like?

I don't know, really. I was never big on it when I used to read Cap comics, but I've really come around on it lately, mostly because so many recent Cap costumes are so heavily inspired by the movie costumes, which I think all try to solve the same problem; that Cap's costume is two big expanses of blue seperated by the white and red bars, differently. I don't really dig on the military aesthetic, although I do like the Civil War suit, I'd like to see it lighter. I think the scales do a lovely job of breaking up the blue a bit and they eschew the military aesthetic for a more virtuous knightly one, which ironically, fits Cap way better than just another super soldier suit.

Although, that said, I did like the 'Steve Rogers: Super Soldier' costume that was pretty much lifted from the films.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To atone for my part in the really bad part of the derail, I will submit the Darwyn Cooke Catwoman design which is breathtakingly perfect in how it's redefined how the character looks, and really, how she's portrayed.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

To atone for my part in the really bad part of the derail, I will submit the Darwyn Cooke Catwoman design which is breathtakingly perfect in how it's redefined how the character looks, and really, how she's portrayed.

It's insanely good.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Dustin Weaver's costumes in the Secret Wars Infinity Gauntlet miniseries were likely the best iterations of the Guardians, Warlock, Thanos, and Nova Corps Marvel will ever see.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That's a really fun Thanos.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also really like the classic Nightwing design (ie the black and blue one that's in the current book). It's a fascinatingly perfect blend of Batman and Robin aesthetic elements, I think.

In weird ones, I actually really like the Jewel design from Alias and am kind of sad it's never getting on screen after that joke about it being a stripper costume in season 1 of JJ.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah, I'm not super sold on the Drax, though I love the championship belt look, but all the rest of those are fantastic, especially drifter pilgrim Thanos.

Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider is another good mention, because I will never stop wanting that hoodie.

Dan Didio posted:

I don't know, really. I was never big on it when I used to read Cap comics, but I've really come around on it lately, mostly because so many recent Cap costumes are so heavily inspired by the movie costumes, which I think all try to solve the same problem; that Cap's costume is two big expanses of blue seperated by the white and red bars, differently. I don't really dig on the military aesthetic, although I do like the Civil War suit, I'd like to see it lighter. I think the scales do a lovely job of breaking up the blue a bit and they eschew the military aesthetic for a more virtuous knightly one, which ironically, fits Cap way better than just another super soldier suit.

Although, that said, I did like the 'Steve Rogers: Super Soldier' costume that was pretty much lifted from the films.

Agreed on all counts; military Cap really only works for me in an explicit WWII/pulp throwback way. Steve Rogers, Head of SHIELD was also a pretty mediocre outfit, which is doubly unfortunate because SHIELD jumpsuits are one of my favorite generic comic book uniforms.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That empty infinity gauntlet tells a whole story all by itself.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm very fond of the Mid 2000s Starlord design, looks a bit military and has that sexy rear end helmet

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the other hand, yeesh at that Gamora.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

On the other hand, yeesh at that Gamora.

That's actually a fairly modest version of her costume before the movies. her original design was basically Vampirella with a cloak.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, that's actually a good one, the recent Vampirella revamp from the Kate Leth run was good. It's basically a red denim romper with a bat belt buckle and manages to be kinda modern and sexy without feeling skeevy.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

RandallODim posted:

loving hell, this is the worst derail, my podcast just did an episode on favorite costumes and character designs, what are some people's favorites, I like Namor, please just can we move on

Nightwing's blue fingerstripes outfit from before the New 52 hosed all that up. And the Conner Power Girl. Both stylish and sleek, without being fussy at all.

Bucky's Winter Soldier outfit in the WS movie was A++++ design. In movies in particular I am not interested in the spandex look. Ripstop non-shiny fabrics all the way. Also from that movie, Steve's strike/stealth uniform.

That Gamora's still basically Vampirella with a cloak.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I lowkey think Cap looked best in the films when he was in his jacket and jeans ensemble from the middle part of Winter Soldier.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I love Mr Sinister's costume. An artist can make it look really naff, but overall I think it's a really strong design - a simple motif, comparatively restrained palette, a cloak that's markedly different and fills frames, and a solid villain collar pop. The details of it vary constantly from what material his pants are to even whether the blue is highlighted black or the black is shadowed blue, but the core costume elements are so strong you can bolt them onto almost anything and it would be identifiably Sinister.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SMP posted:

Dustin Weaver's costumes in the Secret Wars Nova Corps

Let's all take a moment to remember that a dog had some of the Nova Force and it was wonderful and Good.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I dig the biker jacket over the "support our troops" costume Cap wears while rescuing the POWs in First Avenger

E: Also I really Ben's Scarlet and Spider-Man suits.

I don't know, I just find the webshooter bracelets cool.

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 13, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I like Tim Drake's Robin costume from his original run. Leggings makes more sense than whatever the gently caress Robin was wearing before and it blows my mind that it took so long to figure that out.
I'm also a sucker for classic Firestorm but thats because I like shoulder pads and flaming heads. Ditto for Ghost Rider.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

The look for Darkseid with the neon omega symbol and the covered jawline from Final Crisis was cool. Shame it didn't see more use before the New 52.

E: Damian has the best Robin costume (not the new one)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ultimate Spider-Woman going from her cool costume to the crappy Black Widow one should be a war crime.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RandallODim posted:

My favorite costumes:
Reuben Flagg and the Plexus Rangers in American Flagg
Hunter Rose Grendel
The Rocketeer
Moon Knight (original and Declan Shalvey's redesign)
Psylocke (her late '80s purple armored one-piece over the pink bodysuit, with the purple long gloves, boots, mask, hood, and cape)
Ted Kord Blue Beetle
Booster Gold
Darwyn Cooke's Catwoman redesign
Captain America with more military-looking gloves, boots, belt, straps, pouches, and a helmet with the wings painted on the sides, rather than a mask with actual wings that stick out (so more like the first movie costume and this action figure: http://comeseetoys.blogspot.com/2016/02/marvel-select-avenging-captain-america.html )
Daredevil with some contrast in the red on his costume and the suggestion of some armor plating (like this action figure: http://thefwoosh.com/index.php/2017/02/mezco-one12-collective-daredevil-standard-edition/ )
Nightwing (in the black and blue costume he wore throughout the 2000s)
Golden Age Sandman (the Mystery Theater version, with the elongated gas mask, fedora, three-piece suit, and trench coat in muted earth tones)
Spartan (from Wildcats, as drawn by Jim Lee and Travis Charest)
Grifter (Dustin Nguyen's version, with the classic Jim Lee mask but a more streamlined, tactical outfit, minus Jim Lee's flowing green trench coat and odd red gloves)
Captain Boomerang (post-Brightest Day redesign, which actually made him look cool after always looking dorky)
Boomerang (post-Thunderbolts redesign; see Captain Boomerang)
Deadshot (his classic Marshall Rogers costume from the Ostrander Suicide Squad era, where his mask gave his face an almost skeletal look)
DnA-era Starlord
Madman

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 13, 2017

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

All the new Doom Patrol interpretations are ace. Probably my favorite costume for Negative Man.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really like Silk's costume. It's very obviously Spider-Manish, but distinctive. She's got the torso webbing pattern, but the S makes it part of her symbol, an S in the middle of a web, instead of just being like Spider-Man. The bandana is distinctive and the the lack of a full head mask lets her hair flow freely, which looks great when you have a character whose going to spend a lot of time flying through the air in big arcing motions and hanging upside from things. For the life of me I will never understand why they gave her a short haircut later.

Spider-Gwen's outfit is good too, the hoodie and chuck taylor soles communicate "teen hero" super well. It's so much better than just having her skateboard around and wear Jnco's or whatever dumb poo poo they did with teen heroes in the 90s.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really like Silk's costume. It's very obviously Spider-Manish, but distinctive. She's got the torso webbing pattern, but the S makes it part of her symbol, an S in the middle of a web, instead of just being like Spider-Man. The bandana is distinctive and the the lack of a full head mask lets her hair flow freely, which looks great when you have a character whose going to spend a lot of time flying through the air in big arcing motions and hanging upside from things. For the life of me I will never understand why they gave her a short haircut later.

I think the shorter haircut looked really good when Stacey Lee was drawing the book. She gave it a lot of.... personality? It had a very satisfying body and heft to it and she used it to really deftly communicate the difference between Silk and Cindy Moon. I also think she liked how she looked out of costume with her hair up-- when she went from longer hair to shorter you'll notice her civilian style didn't really change much. When Lee left, I don't know. I like Tana Ford but I think you're right-- longer hair would have given the character a fluidity and dynamism that I felt like Ford didn't always manage to get across otherwise.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I don't know what the general consensus on it is, but I'm really fond of David Finch's Wonder Woman redesign.

The arm blades I could take or leave, but I love everything else about it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Too bad her comics WW and Superman/WW weren't worth reading at the time, and Johns ignored all the DCYou changes for Darkseid War.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RandallODim posted:

Alan Davis's redesign of Captain Britain.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

JordanKai posted:

I don't know what the general consensus on it is, but I'm really fond of David Finch's Wonder Woman redesign.

The arm blades I could take or leave, but I love everything else about it.

Terrible, especially the neck part. I also hate the overknee boots. And I think that was the consensus that it was crap, considering how quickly it disappeared.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Decius posted:

Terrible, especially the neck part. I also hate the overknee boots. And I think that was the consensus that it was crap, considering how quickly it disappeared.

I personally thought it was a huge improvement over her classic-style tube top and underpants, but to each their own. The collar is completely fine as far as I'm concerned.

I'll admit the overknee boots are a little silly, though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It was better than the tube top as idea, but the execution was bad. It looks like she's wearing pyjamas under her armour. There are many examples how to do a good breast plate without a very low neckline (basically any breast plate that was actually used in war in reality), which would have done the job of showing sensible amounts of skin without looking dumb. Look at Thor's costume for example, despite boob armour. I'm sure there​ were even many examples on other Amazons over the years already drawn. Anyways, her current costume looks great, even without covering her up more than before and with a kinda tube top.

Decius fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 13, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My all time favorite costumes:

Black suit Spidey

Nightwing with the full arm blue stripes

Brown suit Wolverine

Earth 2 Dick Grayson Batman

Probably my favorite costume/character design in the history of superhero comics, Cassandra Cain Batgirl

I love superhero costume design and I could talk about it literally all day

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I think the original Spider-Man 2099 costume uses the original Spidey colors to make something aesthetically striking and that reflects the attitude of the character. There's a reason that even after the cancellation of the 2099 line, the character has still shown up in action figure lines, video games, and animated shows - he looks loving cool.

The new white Spider-Man 2099 costume is just plain ugly and repulsive on almost every level. I can kind of appreciate going in the white direction to try something new and not usually seen with Spidey costumes, but it's just a complete failure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's an odd opinion, I know, but I've never liked the Cass Batgirl outfit, the outlined symbol and messy stitched up mouth just look unpleasant to me and not in a "Bat-folks should be intimidating" way like Batwoman's pale vampire thing. And on the other side, I actually really love the Stephanie one with the purple panels on the side.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

It's an odd opinion, I know, but I've never liked the Cass Batgirl outfit, the outlined symbol and messy stitched up mouth just look unpleasant to me and not in a "Bat-folks should be intimidating" way like Batwoman's pale vampire thing. And on the other side, I actually really love the Stephanie one with the purple panels on the side.
The Stephanie Brown costume always depended on who was drawing it for me. There were some artists that got the purple panels to mesh with the rest of the costume and a lot who didn't. As much as I think Cass's design works, I'm also just not a huge fan of Batgirl in black. I think the purple or the gray and blue costumes always make much more sense to me.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Gaz-L posted:

Is that the costume which was originally Helena's, that Batman gave to Cass? That Bruce, always taking someone's identity and giving it to a kid he likes better.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Tato posted:

I think the original Spider-Man 2099 costume uses the original Spidey colors to make something aesthetically striking and that reflects the attitude of the character. There's a reason that even after the cancellation of the 2099 line, the character has still shown up in action figure lines, video games, and animated shows - he looks loving cool.

I was going to say something like this. It's a pretty iconic costume that clearly has some connection to the original while being totally unique, whereas usual costume variants just change a few things here and there.

I was thinking how right Astro City often gets its designs, but I've always had a soft spot for Crackerjack and his roguish Errol Flynn look:

To be fair a lot of the Astro City characters seem to add some elements from beyond the normal superhero genre.

Also, I always loved the asymmetric Captain Marvel Cape. That's a classic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
My all time favorite costumes are:

1. Jay Garrick Flash

2. Original Human Bomb

3. Phantom Stranger

4. The Riddler's solid green suit with golden question mark cane

5. Captain Comet's updated look

I won't post pictures but Citizen Steel, Hourman (both), Doc Mid-Nite (1 and 3), GA Icicle, Mister Atom, Mr. Mind, and Quicksilver are a few more I love from DC. I could easily name a hundred more costumes that are amazing from DC alone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When the right artist draws Captain Marvel, nothing else comes close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My favorites are

Marvel:

and

DC:

and

• Locked thread