Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I thought it was a huge love of the first 6 issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I honestly can't think of a meaningful difference between pre- and post-crisis BSS. If I had to guess (and it's so far back my memory is really blurry and I could be mixing eras):

Media piracy (vs software or high seas) was basically acceptable on SA; NMP3, DPPH, and... I could swear some other torrent sub existed, and between that and Direct Connect you could assume that BSS was more up-to-date with comics. This meant more people posting in general.

There was a weekly review thread where people would talk about/review comics. They were prohibited eventually, I think because there was a desire for the current megathread style and some other reason. They were a mix of good and bad.

More flamewars/helldumping, as was the du jure of that time. But not with the weird malice that seems to infect these (and other) forums these days? I dunno. But also more banning.

Goons bought accounts for some writers, Ellis and Simone are the ones I remember. Then other emotionally/mentally unstable goons would start rapidly trolling/making GBS threads on them until they left, usually within a few days.

For the most part, though, the changes have been minor.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 8, 2017

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Kai Tave posted:

Can we agree that there are degrees of assholism and stupidity though? I've been a jerk to people before though I like to think I've done my best to apologize for the worst of it and do better, but there's a difference between being a jerk and telling someone to go kill themselves, or campaigning against gay marriage rights, or beating your spouse, or exemplifying the overwhelming fear white middle-class America has of black people.

Do you think that Barack Obama should be shunned for saying he was against gay marriage during his campaign in 2008?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Kai Tave posted:

I probably wouldn't buy his comic, if that's what you're asking.
But you might, even though there are other not-lovely artists that don't wave their rear end in a top hat flag everywhere.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Mr. Maltose posted:

As far as I can tell the point seems to be we should just mindlessly consume media without any analysis because actually everyone is bad.

No, the point is, as Was Taters said,

quote:

It might be worth asking Spencer his views on those things today.

Obama in 2008 made statements during his campaign against gay marriage, amplifying that position. Then, later, he shifted on that, killed DADT, and helped bring about gay marriage. Spencer's record is likely less illustrious than that, but holding his 2005 views against him, when he could probably be pestered into clarifying his current views in relation to the 2005 ones, is almost as stupid as saying nothing matters who cares.

If you'd prefer to stick to other comic creators, I don't think Grant Morrison, creator of The Filth, ever walked back saying that he had never used rape in a comic, the most direct conclusion being that he doesn't think men can rape other men. But holding that against him now would probably be stupid, and I'm betting if you asked him in 2017 about a 2011 interview he'd apologize for saying that and correct himself.

People's views change, especially over 12 years. Maybe Spencer's have, maybe they haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's a weird conclusion to draw from that, particularly since the comic you cited also features multiple instances of men raping women, as does The Invisibles. it seems the actual most direct conclusion is that he was wrong/bullshitting.

I haven't pulled my copy but I could swear the deliveryboy rape was the only clearly shown rape. One agent gets raped via pheromone suggestion but it's less explicit and honestly I just didn't remember that last night. I don't recall anything else, and I could swear that Invisibles isn't really upfront on that (but my memory is really shaky... I thought it was more threats of sexual violence). Regardless, the point is he has not AFAIK retracted that statement and a twitteresque facile reading of the statement would lead to the worse conclusion; there's no reason to know that he misstated without a retraction.

• Locked thread