Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zachack posted:

If you'd prefer to stick to other comic creators, I don't think Grant Morrison, creator of The Filth, ever walked back saying that he had never used rape in a comic, the most direct conclusion being that he doesn't think men can rape other men.

that's a weird conclusion to draw from that, particularly since the comic you cited also features multiple instances of men raping women, as does The Invisibles. it seems the actual most direct conclusion is that he was wrong/bullshitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zachack posted:

I haven't pulled my copy but I could swear the deliveryboy rape was the only clearly shown rape. One agent gets raped via pheromone suggestion but it's less explicit and honestly I just didn't remember that last night. I don't recall anything else, and I could swear that Invisibles isn't really upfront on that (but my memory is really shaky... I thought it was more threats of sexual violence). Regardless, the point is he has not AFAIK retracted that statement and a twitteresque facile reading of the statement would lead to the worse conclusion; there's no reason to know that he misstated without a retraction.

There's that one character that's a brainwashed remote controlled sex slave who got kidnapped on her way to work. Also Lord Fanny gets gang-raped in the invisibles, plus there's that whole arc that's a retelling of The 120 Days of Sodom.

Was Taters posted:

For clarity, I think Spencer is a poor writer and I've held that position since I read Forgetless (still among the worst books I've read). I don't think he's a Nazi lover and when people spit that kind of facile line out, they usually follow it up with some willful misinterpretation of whatever he says. I'm not sure what folks think that kind of approach is going to get them.

I think it's just a timing thing. I mean, this isn't even the first arc where Steve's been brainwashed into a nazi, is it? Wasn't he under The Red Skull's control for a while?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Archyduke posted:

Yeah, in a Lee/Kirby issue, but in their defense it was a very brief thing. A parallel that I think is more off-putting is the weird Gruenwald issue where the Red Skull is dying, so Crossbones brings Captain America over to rouse him back to life, and then Cap just wanders off. Strangely, this was right after the very effective issue where Magneto tosses RS in a pit for being a nazi. Gruenwald also wrote "The Superia Stragemen," which I think has aged very, very poorly in its "feminism, am I right?" tone. But I mean, that was then and this is now, so I don't want to make it sound like I'm arguing that Spencer should be let off the hook because of whatever Gruenwald did.

Didn't it happen in Waid's run too?

• Locked thread