Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I wanna read more books! Any recommendations for books/novels written by comic book writers. I have already read all of Gaiman's stuff, as well as Ellis's Crooked Little Vein and Machine Gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

Voodoo Heart by Scott Snyder
A Once Crowded Sky by Tom King
Alan Moore's Jerusalem (it's only 1,200 pages!)

Seeing as that I barely make it through Pynchon books I will give Moore's no-doubtedly very dense a book a miss. Thanks for the other suggestions though. I knew King wrote a book (though I kept forgetting the title) but never knew Snyder did too.
I also forgot to mention that I have read PAD's Sir Apropos.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

I read a Brad Metzer book, you'll never guess the ending.

The main suspect's wife did it because she was fuckin' crazy, chicks man, am I right.

Did they solve the case after she blurted out something like "Man it must suck being shot 20 times in the back and having your heart be removed by a stainless steel kitchen knife bought at the local Walmart" and the guy replies "I never mentioned that the person died by being shot 20 times and that his heart was removed by a stainless steel kitchen knife that was bought at the local Wallmart. By golly you must be the killer! Also, care to explain why you are walking around with a loving flamethrower?!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

As I remember it, Ray and Jean were the leading suspects, with most people favoring Ray because Jean had no motive.

"True Love" is always a a great motive.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

Which is why Ray was the leading suspect and Jean made comparitively little sense; Ray was obviously pining and was Jean's at any time for the asking.

In the end Identity Crisis was a romantic comedy of "will they won't they" mixed in with rape, and murder by flamethrower.

More I think about the comic the more it sucks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

I'm going to be scarce for a bit due to a death in my immediate family. So reports will likely go unread for the next five or six days as I'll only be using the app on my phone if I drop by. If something that needs any real attention comes up, not that this ever happens here anyway, PM me and I'll get to it if I can or get someone that can get to it.

To XO: sorry to hear that. Hope all is okay with you and your family. Condolences.

To goons: now that old man XO is gone who wants to start poo poo and stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This chat about about identity crisis and BSS: year one is making me curious about what the first years of BSS were like and what the dirt was on the various goons that were o.g.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

i was a woman for a little while

Greatest timeline

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Was Taters posted:

Fighting off twins, IIRC.

Welcome back!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

05s forever.

Holy poo poo Waterhaul. poo poo just got real in here. Feels like I am reliving the glory days of BSS right now. All we need is Doogz now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

There is nothing cooler than a man in a short sleeved hoodie

Truth

edit: This thread is the closest thing I will get to something resembling a high school reunion.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

I'm the new character who is retconned into all the past events.

Haha! I remember that!

I'm pretty much this character

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Speaking of terrible people, seems you can't go a day without finding a creator who is a piece of poo poo.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/11/ethan-van-sciver-apologises-suicide-jibe-vows-not-vent-social-media-anymore/

That's a long list of other artists and writers who say he's been a piece of poo poo for a long time as well. Telling fans to kill themselves is I guess just the latest in a long line of this kind of stuff from him. I'd heard he had some rather lovely political opinions but I just figured that was just end of it. Didn't know he was actually that lovely.

I am kind of nervous to click on the link. It always sucks finding out someone who creates something you like is probably a jerk.

edit: Oh it's him. Yea it's been out for a while that he is a big jerky mcjerk jerkface.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You guys wanna know my opinion of John Lennon?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I like Tim Drake's Robin costume from his original run. Leggings makes more sense than whatever the gently caress Robin was wearing before and it blows my mind that it took so long to figure that out.
I'm also a sucker for classic Firestorm but thats because I like shoulder pads and flaming heads. Ditto for Ghost Rider.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

This is honestly my favorite look for Storm

Agreed 80s punk Storm =best Storm.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's everyone's favourite example of a superhero being put in an unusual team for them? I kinda liked Namor in X-Men and I liked Beast in the Avengers.

Lobo in Justice League is very...strange and out of place.
Wolverine in every team that isn't filled with mutants (and even some of those)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If Capt. Marvel's costume is good enough for Elvis it's good enough for me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Despite comic sales I am willing to bet more non comic readers knew who Wonder Woman was instead of Green Lantern. WW carries a lot more cultural recognition, has an iconic costume, a famous tv show, is a feminist icon etc.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I never really cared for EVS's work one way or another and never went out of my way to buy a book because of him. I am glad that he isn't working on any titles I am buying now, but honestly I rarely buy books because of the artist on them (and with DC it makes it quite easy seeing how they rotate artists without a care anyway). The best thing would be if he stopped getting work altogether.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Rip Chris Cornell. I know he wasn't really comic related but just like comics were part of my youth so was Soundgarden. I remember my cousin pumping out Superunknown in the car after he bought me a Daredevil comic from a local newstand and for some reason that day has always stood out for me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

It's Motor CIty Comic-con weekend.

My friend Brooke was struggling with self image after her bad divorce from my former best friend. Gal Gadot's appearance as Wonder Woman in BvS inspired her. She got to work both on herself and this costume. She lost 60 pounds and made nearly every part of this outfit from scratch. I am super proud of her and from what some other friends in attendance have said she is getting mobbed for photos and rightly so as she looks great.

Good on her. I love hearing how characters and people inspire other people.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

I like comics.

They're okay I guess

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

You can make a drinking game out of how many times this happens.

J'onn: I'll use my telepathic powers!
*psychic backlash*
J'onn: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't remember him being X-Men cartoon Jean Grey.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

It happens to him pretty much all of Season 1.

By my meaning of being Jean Grey I meant totally useless.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Assault on Arkham was my favourite.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do you like Deadshot a lot? Do you think he's the coolest and Harley Quinn should date Deadshot instead of the Joker because Deadshot could beat up the Joker and Batman? If so, then yeah

Yes to all those things.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
That is a horrifically made trailer. Like sub-fan level bad. It almost feels like a trailer for a movie that was made out of contractual obligation.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Where is the new chat thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
New chat/discussion thread here.