Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

A damaged, childlike being with the power to shape all of the Marvel Universe, being manipulated by a Nazi, and is bad at thinking through their actions and keeping straight their motivations did it.

This works for both Kobik and Nick Spencer honestly.

They say to write what you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

I guess the only thing to do about is stop caring about dumb stuff artists say and just enjoy or not enjoy their work on it's own merits

Or you could simply not support lovely artists and support some of the many not-lovely artists, or at least the ones smart enough to not flagrantly wave their rear end in a top hat flag where everyone can see it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

Man, I don't want to get rid of my Rat Queens trades just cause Roc Upshurch is an abuser

I mean I'm not the sort of person that goes around and is like "oh so you read Ender's Game when you were in high school, good job bigot" or whatever, I don't think you can find a nerd that hasn't at some point enjoyed a comic, book, movie, or game made by a real rear end in a top hat, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone play the "just learn to separate the art from the artist" card before that wasn't doing so in defense of a genuine shitbag. It's never something like oh yeah this guy is real big on abstract postmodernism but don't let the artist's vision unduly influence your own impression of the work, it's always something like "yeah this guy beats his wife, but I mean just look at these drawings," and once you're aware of someone that's a big enough rear end in a top hat that people have to try and convince you to look past all the homophobia or telling people to kill themselves or literal child rape in order to enjoy a piece of recreational media, I feel like that's a good time to ask yourself if you really need to keep supporting them just to get your escapism fix or if you can't just go to one of the many other authors, game designers, and directors who aren't blatant bigots or rapists or whatever instead.

Yeah yeah, no ethical consumption etc. Like I said, I don't go around looking for excuses to browbeat my acquaintances over this stuff, but if I find out that some creator is a real piece of poo poo then, welp, I figure I can afford to give them a miss.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's just so easy for sometone to be revealed to be an rear end in a top hat or just say something stupid on the internet these days.

Can we agree that there are degrees of assholism and stupidity though? I've been a jerk to people before though I like to think I've done my best to apologize for the worst of it and do better, but there's a difference between being a jerk and telling someone to go kill themselves, or campaigning against gay marriage rights, or beating your spouse, or exemplifying the overwhelming fear white middle-class America has of black people.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zachack posted:

Do you think that Barack Obama should be shunned for saying he was against gay marriage during his campaign in 2008?

I probably wouldn't buy his comic, if that's what you're asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zachack posted:

But you might, even though there are other not-lovely artists that don't wave their rear end in a top hat flag everywhere.

I can't actually tell if you're trying to drive at a point and failing so I'll just say that this is a thread about comics and a discussion about comic book writers and artists, and I guess other media creators as well since someone mentioned Roman Polanski, so I'm not sure why you brought up noted former President of the United States Barack Obama who to the best of my knowledge doesn't actually have any comic books to his name.

• Locked thread