Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Murder him, it's what jack kerby would want or something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

For the record (and sincerely, you can go back and look at that original GBS thread in the archives) I never liked Identity Crisis! Or at least, I was cautiously optimistic but annoyed by the tone for about two issues, then took a hard turn against it.

I also wrote up a concise exploration of its flaws jeez, almost seven years ago so I wouldn't have to keep rewriting them.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I used to get in a lot of fights and another BSS "founder" smoked a fuckload of weed.
Are you talking about fights in BSS or fights with kids at the Good Ol' TRU?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

BSS Fact: People were absolutely in love with the Udon Taskmaster costume, if DC had adopted the Udon Taskmaster costume (NOT THE STUPID SKULL COSTUME RRRRRRRRRR) it's entirely possible Marvel would be out of business right now due to the sheer awesomeness of DC having Identity Crisis, Jeph Loeb, and Udon Taskmaster all at the same time in 2006.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

U DON'T ASK MASTER

The Bought & Thought thread rules turned draconian because people were doing a terrible job of posting reviews.

quote:

Dark Knight Returns #4: Everyone thought Batman was dead but he faked his death and Superman knew and was secretly cool with it and now Batman has a secret underground army I guess?
is not a good review.

People being very bad with spoiler tags so their "no spoilers" review was

quote:

So turns out Jean Loring was the mastermind killer, she stole her husband The Atom's white dwarf shrinking suit and killed Ralph's wife Sue Dibny and also Robin's dad Jack Drake by hiring Captain Boomerang that old Australian foe of Barry Allen the Flash to kill him with a boomerang.
is also not a good review OR a good use for spoiler tags.

This is also why we moved to the (admittedly imperfect) Megathread format, because when all New Comics Discussion was attached to a single thread it created all sorts of trouble, seeing as you created a single thread where you had to go for discussion of (let's say last week) Batman, Secret Empire, Walking Dead, X-Men, Paper Girls, etc. and if you wanted to talk Batman but hadn't read the other books listed tough poo poo, people are just going to blurt out spoilers with no context or warning.

Add to that people didn't go to the store every week so if you were caught up on all of those but were tradewaiting Black Monday Murders or BPRD or whatever, again, tough poo poo. The current model kills discussion of books that don't fit into megathreads but the percentage of circa 2006-7 Big Plot Twists that were spoiled by someone in the thread going UGH MARVEL YOU KILLED NORTHSTAR gently caress YOU MARVEL in a thread that ostensibly was supposed to be reviews and have spoilers was very high indeed.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

A damaged, childlike being with the power to shape all of the Marvel Universe, being manipulated by a Nazi, and is bad at thinking through their actions and keeping straight their motivations did it.

This works for both Kobik and Nick Spencer honestly.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I mean "Nick Spencer, Failed City Council Member Who Had DIfficult Relationships with the Community Especially the Non-Rich-White Community" has been a Known Thing for coming up on seven years. It's not like I broke the story or anything, but I feel like I've been reminding people repeatedly when it comes up for most of that time. There's frankly even unseemlier things lost in the archives of the Bendis Boards, but while there are a number of posts scattered across the Internet over the past few years corroborating those things, the primary sources no longer seem to exist so I don't feel great about dredging those up as much.

Also Nick Spencer is a terrible enough writer and interviewee in 2017 that honestly, do you need to do opposition research?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I don't think Nick Spencer is literally a secret Nazi or even a secret fascist, but I do think he's pretty dumb both as a storyteller and a political thinker, all Cap: Sam Wilson things aside, he seems to have some major blindspots in terms of:

1) "They're Hydra, not Nazis!" while writing Hydra to be explicitly allied with Nazis but continually hammering this weird "yes, but you see we keep on having Steve and Helmut and Madame Hydra say they disagree with Nazis" as if that's a magic talisman to differentiate them. It's not even a "strange bedfellows" thing, the Hydra credo of total state control and glorious millenia-spanning empires that the Ultimate Humans are destined to reign, with massive propaganda and recruiting in the style of the Nazis, concentration camps, secret police, media control, there has been literally nothing in the comics to separate "this is what Hydra believes in and desires" from "this is what Nazi Germany believed in and desired" aside from a couple 'sympathetic' characters wrinkling their nose and going "OH ME OH MY, I CAN'T ABIDE BY THOSE TERRIBLE NAZIS" It's like getting real mad when someone accuses you of serving them a dogshit sandwich and then you go "I would never do something so terrible, it was actually coyote poo poo, completely different species of canid. And it's technically a panini, we don't serve poo poo sandwiches here thank you very much. WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING WE SERVE poo poo SANDWICHES? It's sad really."

2) Honestly the most uncomfortable thing about the entire Hydra Steve thing is that he really does seem to be writing Steve as like "the One Good Fascist, his inherent nobility shining through". If you read the entire run, every other issue has [evil deep cover Hydra Steve Rogers] give some sort of internal monologue about how he's doing this to help everyone, and maybe he has to work with some distasteful fellows, the ends will totally justify the means, believe me. There's also a series of "OH NO STEVE'S GOING TO MURDER SOMEONE" scenes that always resolve into "nah, he didn't really murder them, it's okay!" or weird bullshit "he didn't murder them, he just tipped off murderers to the location of the murdered person" or "he was going to kill someone in a coma but they'd already been taken off of life support" or "I had your assistant poison you an hour ago, it will look like a heart attack" and all of these super weird half-measures until he finally murders Red Skull in the last issue before Secret Empire. If you're writing him as a corrupted dark mirror of himself, why do it so half-assed? Like literal genocidal would-be dictator Steve Rogers is still so good deep down that he can't bring himself to kill a senator? Why?

This seems to be carrying on through Secret Empire #1, where Steve just sort of mopes around going "golly I mean, we're going to execute all those dissidents, but are you SURE we have to? Seems unkind. Oh well, I don't approve but I guess we need to murder everyone and put them in camps, but shucks it just doesn't seem RIGHT. Oh well :("

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

'Lee/Kirby/Gruenwald/Whoever did it first' is a really meaningless response to criticism of Spencer and his like because it doesn't actually address any of the actual problems people have with Spencer and his ilk. It's a very superficial argument that doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.
Kind of like your "Nick Spencer sure does love Nazis and wants to hug Nazis and wants to kiss Nazis and cuddle in Swastika flannels with his beloved Nazis" response? I mean, I'm a lot more accepting of Nazi-punching than Nick Spencer, but I don't want (for instance) Geoff Johns to get punched in the face or otherwise brutalized despite writing a lot of lovely comics. What base do I dream of getting to with Geoff Johns? Just hands stuff?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

Geoff Johns writing is bad, but I'm going to have to disagree with you here that it's comparable to Neo-Nazism.
But by saying I don't want to see Geoff Johns punched, aren't I essentially shielding him from criticism and therefore expressing the same latent desire Nick Spencer does to Nazis to want to hug and rub and kiss on them?

I think Nick Spencer is a really dumb neoliberal dummy who is trying to be smart and looking even dumber while doing it, but because [SCENE MISSING] this means he's secretly in love with Neo-Nazism because [SCENE MISSING] so lol he's some sort of closet homo Nazi lover lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

There are women Nazis.

I think Nick Spencer is a really dumb neoliberal dummy who is trying to be smart and looking even dumber while doing it, but because [SCENE MISSING] this means he's secretly in love with Neo-Nazism because [SCENE MISSING] so lol he's some sort of closet Nazi lover lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

lol lol lol
lol lol lol
lol lol lol
lol lol lol
lol lol lol
lol lol lol
lol lol lol
lol lol lol
lol lol lol
lol lol lol
lol lol lol
lol lol lol

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The name Jon Stewart is known the world around.

But yeah, I feel like it's general common cultural knowledge to know the basic deal of pretty much all of the JLA + Robin, but the thing that separates the "Trinity" from everyone else is that there have been like a dozen different versions of Flash/Green Lantern/Robin which muddies things up in terms of casual knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Having restored Janine to her sluttiness, JMS wept and left children's animation, knowing there were new lands to conquer. As he tearfully raised a middle finger to his coworkers who he neglected to tell about his departure and were expecting scripts (and his share of the office coffee/snack fund) from him that Monday, he mouthed to himself, "Never... Surrender... Dreams..."

• Locked thread