Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MAY IS FREE COMIC BOOK DAY MONTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

It'd be funny if we didn't have to tell a bunch of people that is not the case every FCBD.

We had a major clusterfuck one year and ended up with like 250+ missing comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

My local comic shop always has a big sale the weekend after Free Comic Book Day. So people who come in for FCBD see the fliers for the sale. I always thought that was pretty clever

I petition for this every year but the owners think having sales on FCBD is the way to go.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Greg Rucka's Atticus Kodiak novels are pretty great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BSS was founded on a huge love of Identity Crisis, never forget that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zachack posted:

I thought it was a huge love of the first 6 issues.

I believe we got punted out of GBS around #4.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Abraham Riesman's pop culture articles, essays, and interviews on Vulture are uniformly great, and his new piece on Stan Lee is no exception. Most people here will already know most of this stuff about Stan the Man and his checkered legacy, but it's worth a read anyway:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/stan-lees-universe-c-v-r.html

WORD. You turned me onto his stuff and when I found a slight error in an article and politely pointed it out in a PM he very graciously thanked me and corrected it. Very cool guy and excellent writer.

Also FCBD was nuts, best showing ever and I clocked 14 hours straight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RELAXING IS FOR THE WEAK

7 hour shift tomorrow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cause of this article I wanted to try this obscure Cable run, but quit MU before I got around to it.
http://www.cbr.com/collect-this-now-soldier-x/

Man, the David Tischman run of Cable was fuckin excellent. I wish he hadn't left when he did, the book had so much potential. I own the trades of his Cable stuff but I think I sold off my Soldier X issues in a garage sale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

This chat about about identity crisis and BSS: year one is making me curious about what the first years of BSS were like and what the dirt was on the various goons that were o.g.

I used to get in a lot of fights and another BSS "founder" smoked a fuckload of weed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i was a woman for a little while

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Am I crazy or have you not posted here in like, years?

I feel like it's been like a year.

Sliding timeline and all that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You've always loved me. I have the pictures to prove it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, XO bails for a few days and look what happens.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did I post this already? I can't remember

Anyways, met Matt Wagner at C2E2, told him what an impact his work gad on me 20 years ago and how much I loved the Mage series. He seemed genuinely touched by my story because he shook my hand then stood up and gave me a hug. Very wonderful man, and signed both my Mage HCs.

MOST OF YOU ALREADY KNOW MY REAL NAME SO I DON'T CARE

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Don't worry about your real name, I will only throw out the watched all of Smallville thing when I want to cast shade on your opinions .

IT SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
EVS is a loving rear end in a top hat (I have firsthand experience with this) so gently caress him and his weak sauce apology.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He's always been cool with me. Drew me a free Flash headshot, and another time we discussed revamping the Legion of Super Pets.

Ethan and I go way back to the AOL comic boards. We all met up at Chicon one ear and went to the hotel bar where he was a huge loving rear end in a top hat to our waitress and embarassed every one of us present. He continued to be a jackass until the demise of the platform.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's just so easy for sometone to be revealed to be an rear end in a top hat or just say something stupid on the internet these days. Back in the day you'd never hear about some author's lovely political views unless he inserted them in his work. I kinda hate the idea that now that we're more interconnected than ever and it's so easy for people say poo poo that everyone will hear, the conclusion to that is that we all start cutting stuff out of lives that we'd otherwise be fine with

And it's not like it goes the other way, I could find out tomorrow that Greg Land is a committed Marxist-Leninist and donates half his income to donkey sanctuaries, I'm still not paying for his garbage.

I'm not saying that my opinion is correct, or that yours is problematic or anything, it's just how I feel about things. There's so much media these days that everyone has to filter stuff. I just don't want the artist's beliefs or Twitter antics to be one of my filters.

I was crushed when I found out what a dickhead Chuck Dixon was. He was among my favorite authors back then and I got a front row seat for him calling a popular female author a oval office.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Didio posted:

There are women Nazis.

They prefer to be called Nazettes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When the right artist draws Captain Marvel, nothing else comes close.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah those are all superb. The Adam Strange update will always be nuts. I remember that mini coming out and I flipped out over how slick it was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Estate auctions are AWESOME

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hup posted:

SOMEONE DIED, YOU CAD

Yeah and my profit share check is gonna be loving incredible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Question was in Trinity of Sins but the killed Pandora so let us never speak of this again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

Oh man, I remember Pandora. What ever happened with that? It all got dropped in favor of Dr Manhattan, right?

She got disintegrated in Rebirth #1. Symbolic of how DC views the New 52.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

The black one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It looks awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gmo's League has a great lineup overall. He made Steel cool!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Rip Chris Cornell. I know he wasn't really comic related but just like comics were part of my youth so was Soundgarden. I remember my cousin pumping out Superunknown in the car after he bought me a Daredevil comic from a local newstand and for some reason that day has always stood out for me.

I saw SG/Cornell live more than any other band in my life. I hope he found some sort of peace.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dave Gibbons did the cover for the Motor City Comicon book and put Martha Washington on it and it feels very out of place for some reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's Motor CIty Comic-con weekend.

My friend Brooke was struggling with self image after her bad divorce from my former best friend. Gal Gadot's appearance as Wonder Woman in BvS inspired her. She got to work both on herself and this costume. She lost 60 pounds and made nearly every part of this outfit from scratch. I am super proud of her and from what some other friends in attendance have said she is getting mobbed for photos and rightly so as she looks great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'll be there tomorrow. My friends wife would love to get a picture with her.

I'll ask her if she's doing WW or a SW suit tomorrow, probably WW from how much attention she's been getting!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'll be there tomorrow. My friends wife would love to get a picture with her.

Hey man, she did Fri and Sat in full costume both days so today she's attending as a fan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Really? My friends wife got a picture with someone that looked a lot like her.

She decided at the last minute to put it on again for a few hours. Wil Wheaton wanted pics with her in costume so she couldn't say no.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey, if he was nice there's no reason to say no.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

I like comics.

NEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bruce Timm's Black Canary design made me a man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Based on his look, he should sound just like The Monarch.

I second this.

The Monarch's voice is what I hear my own thoughts in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wrong sounding Harley Quinn is wrong. Especially when paired with Conroy.

• Locked thread