Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Abraham Riesman's pop culture articles, essays, and interviews on Vulture are uniformly great, and his new piece on Stan Lee is no exception. Most people here will already know most of this stuff about Stan the Man and his checkered legacy, but it's worth a read anyway:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/stan-lees-universe-c-v-r.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

That's a pretty great assortment of jumping-on points for new and casual readers. Go, Amazon!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

WORD. You turned me onto his stuff and when I found a slight error in an article and politely pointed it out in a PM he very graciously thanked me and corrected it. Very cool guy and excellent writer.

Also FCBD was nuts, best showing ever and I clocked 14 hours straight.

Can you relax at all tomorrow?

I found an error in another one of Riesman's pieces -- pretty sure he got the name for OCP wrong in his Robocop retrospective. I sent him a tweet, and he was super-cool about it.

He seems like a cool nerd living the dream, writing about stuff he loves and getting to interview people he thinks are awesome. I'm glad New York Magazine continues to give him the platform.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I need a good long run on Marvel Unlimited, I've already read most of the obvious stuff (all the classic Kirby, Lee, Ditko, Simonson's Thor, Miller and Bendis' Daredevil, Claremont X-Men, most everything Bendis now that I think about it). I'm going to be answering phones all day tomorrow and there should be a decent amount of down time between calls so I need a something to entertain me that's easy to drop and pickup again.

If you read Bendis' New Avengers, then read Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts, Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man (at least #1-19), and Jonathan Hickman's Secret Warriors, which all tie in and out of it.
Ed Brubaker's Daredevil (picks up right where Bendis left off), and then Mark Waid's.
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.
Peter Milligan and Mike Allred's X-Force/X-Statix.
Ed Brubaker's Captain America.
Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist.
Matt Fraction's Hawkeye.
Dan Slott's She-Hulk (at least the first 12 issues are excellent and fun, and the rest ranges from good to okay), and then Charles Soule's.
Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Speaking of Cable, get #45-70 (including #-1), which starts out written by James Robinson, and then Joe Casey took over around #50. Excellent work, establishing Cable as a player in the larger MCU, freeing him a bit from the complicated X-continuity. Jose Ladronn provides a lot of great, Kirby-esque artwork.

I'm also a huge Arthur Adams fan, so get the New Mutants Special Edition, Uncanny X-Men Annuals #9, 10, 12, and 14, Excalibur: Mojo Mayhem, X-Factor #41-42, and Fantastic Four #347-349. He also drew Longshot #1-6 (his earliest work), but I hated those.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RandallODim posted:

loving hell, this is the worst derail, my podcast just did an episode on favorite costumes and character designs, what are some people's favorites, I like Namor, please just can we move on

My favorite costumes:
Reuben Flagg and the Plexus Rangers in American Flagg
Hunter Rose Grendel
The Rocketeer
Moon Knight (original and Declan Shalvey's redesign)
Psylocke (her late '80s purple armored one-piece over the pink bodysuit, with the purple long gloves, boots, mask, hood, and cape)
Ted Kord Blue Beetle
Booster Gold
Darwyn Cooke's Catwoman redesign
Captain America with more military-looking gloves, boots, belt, straps, pouches, and a helmet with the wings painted on the sides, rather than a mask with actual wings that stick out (so more like the first movie costume and this action figure: http://comeseetoys.blogspot.com/2016/02/marvel-select-avenging-captain-america.html )
Daredevil with some contrast in the red on his costume and the suggestion of some armor plating (like this action figure: http://thefwoosh.com/index.php/2017/02/mezco-one12-collective-daredevil-standard-edition/ )
Nightwing (in the black and blue costume he wore throughout the 2000s)
Golden Age Sandman (the Mystery Theater version, with the elongated gas mask, fedora, three-piece suit, and trench coat in muted earth tones)
Spartan (from Wildcats, as drawn by Jim Lee and Travis Charest)
Grifter (Dustin Nguyen's version, with the classic Jim Lee mask but a more streamlined, tactical outfit, minus Jim Lee's flowing green trench coat and odd red gloves)
Captain Boomerang (post-Brightest Day redesign, which actually made him look cool after always looking dorky)
Boomerang (post-Thunderbolts redesign; see Captain Boomerang)
Deadshot (his classic Marshall Rogers costume from the Ostrander Suicide Squad era, where his mask gave his face an almost skeletal look)
DnA-era Starlord
Madman

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 13, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

JMS wrote for some Canadian show based off that toyline where the screen would flash and it'd interact with the toys. Captain something or other. One of the last episodes has one of the characters sacrifice herself to save everyone else. JMS drew from an experience where his friend killed herself while on the phone with him.

That's how I ruined my day by wiki'ing a toy I saw advertised in a 80's Spider-Man book.

Captain Power.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Most of the direct to DVD DC cartoon movies are really bad

I LOVED New Frontier, Under the Red Hood, and Batman: Assault on Arkham (the Suicide Squad movie I wished the real Suicide Squad movie would have been).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Yikes. I like John Ostrander Squad. No Harley Squad for me

It's kind of a cross between the Ostrander and New 52 eras. Of course Harley is on the team, but it's rounded out by a completely badass, antiheroic Deadshot (voiced by Neal McDonough), Captain Boomerang, Killer Frost, King Shark, and Black Tarantula, with Amanda Waller as a looming, dangerous presence in the background. Joker is there too, of course, given the nature of the plot, as are most of Batman's other villains.

Deadshot is one of my favorite DC characters, so the movie was full of mark-out moments for me, far more than the actual Suicide Squad movie.

• Locked thread