Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think his Sam Wilson issues suggest that he certainly tends to the left a lot more than he used to, but that he still holds some extraordinarily dopey views, particularly involving what constitutes valid forms of resistance. I think that series demonstrated an ok understanding of a lot of social ills but that blunders in dealing with what the solutions to those problems are. ie. his tweets about punching Richard Spencer-- I don't read them as a tacit endorsement of Richard Spencer, but of someone being a well-intentioned moron.

My personal read is that he's learning, but wants to cling stubbornly to some pretty stupid ideas. I don't know if he's still the avid supporter of gentrification he was in 2005, but I know that I get a lot of freshman who come in totally unaware of what gentrification is, are initially sympathetic to it, and are legitimately shocked to learn how pernicious it can be. If I didn't think people can grow and change I'd be pretty lovely at my job, but I don't know, I don't think it's fair of me to expect everybody else to extend him the benefit of the doubt. Especially since, well, the bad student papers I get aren't the subject of a huge media push and are definitely not available to purchase at every comic book store in the country.

If Secret Empire is a tremendous mis-step in terms of optics, it still demonstrates, I think, a deeply held revulsion towards fascism on the author's part. Whether or not that revulsion is expressed in a very effective (or even ethical, depending on how you read it) is more questionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Was Taters posted:

I found it kind of a relief because I felt like the rear end in a top hat at the party who never put much stock in his bombastic stories that oddly had no witnesses. I'm not sure how much of a right winger he really is and how much of that week was him having some kneejerk old man moments.

Disagreeing politically won't necessarily put me off someone's work, but deep disagreements on human rights and some closely held philosophies will.

To be fair Secret Empire is manifestly political in a way that, say, Chuck Dixon's Nightwing or Robin aren't. It's harder to isolate his own convictions from the work when that work is (as his Sam Wilson issues were and Secret Empire is) very clearly attempting to make an explicit political statement.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Zachack posted:

I haven't pulled my copy but I could swear the deliveryboy rape was the only clearly shown rape. One agent gets raped via pheromone suggestion but it's less explicit and honestly I just didn't remember that last night. I don't recall anything else, and I could swear that Invisibles isn't really upfront on that (but my memory is really shaky... I thought it was more threats of sexual violence). Regardless, the point is he has not AFAIK retracted that statement and a twitteresque facile reading of the statement would lead to the worse conclusion; there's no reason to know that he misstated without a retraction.

Even so, "I don't write rape-- I only write the explicit threat of rape" is a pretty lackluster defense.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think it's just a timing thing. I mean, this isn't even the first arc where Steve's been brainwashed into a nazi, is it? Wasn't he under The Red Skull's control for a while?

Yeah, in a Lee/Kirby issue, but in their defense it was a very brief thing. A parallel that I think is more off-putting is the weird Gruenwald issue where the Red Skull is dying, so Crossbones brings Captain America over to rouse him back to life, and then Cap just wanders off. Strangely, this was right after the very effective issue where Magneto tosses RS in a pit for being a nazi. Gruenwald also wrote "The Superia Stragemen," which I think has aged very, very poorly in its "feminism, am I right?" tone. But I mean, that was then and this is now, so I don't want to make it sound like I'm arguing that Spencer should be let off the hook because of whatever Gruenwald did.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

'Lee/Kirby/Gruenwald/Whoever did it first' is a really meaningless response to criticism of Spencer and his like because it doesn't actually address any of the actual problems people have with Spencer and his ilk. It's a very superficial argument that doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.

Archyduke posted:

But I mean, that was then and this is now, so I don't want to make it sound like I'm arguing that Spencer should be let off the hook because of whatever Gruenwald did.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really like Silk's costume. It's very obviously Spider-Manish, but distinctive. She's got the torso webbing pattern, but the S makes it part of her symbol, an S in the middle of a web, instead of just being like Spider-Man. The bandana is distinctive and the the lack of a full head mask lets her hair flow freely, which looks great when you have a character whose going to spend a lot of time flying through the air in big arcing motions and hanging upside from things. For the life of me I will never understand why they gave her a short haircut later.

I think the shorter haircut looked really good when Stacey Lee was drawing the book. She gave it a lot of.... personality? It had a very satisfying body and heft to it and she used it to really deftly communicate the difference between Silk and Cindy Moon. I also think she liked how she looked out of costume with her hair up-- when she went from longer hair to shorter you'll notice her civilian style didn't really change much. When Lee left, I don't know. I like Tana Ford but I think you're right-- longer hair would have given the character a fluidity and dynamism that I felt like Ford didn't always manage to get across otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'll just be happy when you're known for more than just complaining about stuff.

Why on earth would this be your response to that.

Lurdiak posted:

That's like the time I spent 6 hours on the phone unsuccessfully trying to prevent a father of two from killing himself.

I'm sorry, I've been in similar positions (with both better outcomes and similar outcomes) and no matter how it turns out it's nightmarish to feel the responsibility for somebody else's life being put onto your shoulders. One of the absolute worst moments of my life was waffling on whether or not to reach out to a friend I was worried about (she hadn't said anything explicitly about suicide or self-harm but I knew she wasn't doing well and was sort of isolating herself from friends/family), sending a long e-mail of support and commiseration to them at 1:30 in the morning, then waking up the next day to find out she'd hung herself just after midnight.

For what it's worth there are lots of people who wouldn't have done what you did, and as someone who's also been in that position with no idea what to say I'm grateful to you for trying.

• Locked thread