Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth was released in 2014, and was for all intents and purposes supposed to be the last hope for fans of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It failed: The game felt like a reskinned Civ V with less features than Civ V had at the end of its life span, and didn't have the same feel as Alpha Centauri despite trying *Really* hard. We're gonna give it a shot, though, because it really did try! In the future after what was probably a nuclear war called "The Great Mistake", various factions of humanity have sent their best and brightest to the stars in slower than light sleeper starships, intent on seeding new worlds with human civilization.

Now as the colony ship of the People's African Union arrives at the lush, earth like world of Ecosystem 5, the new colonists will put to the test an ancient Bondei Proverb: "Sticks in a Bundle are unbreakable."

Mods in Use
Yeah I'm using some Mods, because otherwise the game is just a bit vanilla for me. Here's a list of what Mods I'm using.

Spoiler Rules
Please don't spoil things for people?

Voting!
There'll be Voting. It'll happen when it happens.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Of all the nations of the Post-Great Mistake world, it was possibly the People's African Union that was in the greatest position for the Seeding. With a large, diverse population mostly untouched by the Great Mistake, it's leadership and populace were determined to get at least some of it's people off the earth before the coming of the Inflection Point.

The people of Europe and Asia, even of the Pacific and the Americas, they all had their own seeding projects planned and ready to go- but the PAU got itself going first.

Rather than focus on any one subsect of the population, lots were drawn. It was an eclectic mix of nations and ethnic groups that were frozen onboard the interstellar transport the mission would take- refugees, looking for a new world.

The colony ship's landing section was outfitted with a number of retrograde thrusters and ground scanning radar, to allow the colony crew to choose the best landing spot available.

Similar things could be said about it's nonhuman cargo. Plants, Seeds, genetic material and the hydroponics needed to grow them- they all came along, to give the colony a headstart on food production.

Finally it came down to choosing the planet. The voyage would take centuries, and it couldn't be sure what the conditions would bel ike when they arrived. Cataclysmic events, like Toba or Chixculub did happen from time to time. At the end of the discussion, a clear candidate was chose: A lush, apparently earthlike exoplanet roughly 50 light years from earth called Ecosystem 5

Finally the expedition set off... and in the year after they left, eleven more expeditions were launched in the same direction. The PAU's colony would have a headstart, but they would not be alone.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
I've been eyeing Beyond Earth to scratch my Alpha Centauri itch, but I'm waiting for it to go on sale. I enjoy Civilization V, so Space-Civ5 sounds pretty good to me, but I remember the game disappointing a lot of people. Supposedly Rising Tide addresses a lot of the original's issues, but I don't really know much about either. I suspect this thread will be the make or break for whether I get the game or not.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
This game wants to be Alpha Centauri so badly, but unfortunately the developers had neither the time or the talent to manage it. It could have been so much better if it hadn't been essentially abandoned. Still, looking forward to the LP, and I hope you'll go through all the mods you are using.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I played the vanilla version during a free weekend, and got bored of it within two days. I bought it after Rising Tide came out, and that expansion make a huge difference in playibility. Sadly though, it was still pretty bland and really could have used a second expansion like Civ V. I'm definitely curious to see how the mods you are using effect the game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You might want to use LPix for image hosting. Use RightLoad and its LPix plug in. This way you don't have to copypaste every url.

I'd also make your images have a width of like 1200px max cause they're kinda huge. Use Irfanview to get screenies and then use the batch resizer to get them down to size.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

King Doom posted:

This game wants to be Alpha Centauri so badly, but unfortunately the developers had neither the time or the talent to manage it. It could have been so much better if it hadn't been essentially abandoned. Still, looking forward to the LP, and I hope you'll go through all the mods you are using.

It honestly feels like warring concepts to me. It certainly has some Alpha Centauri elements, but it also has stuff that runs counter to both that, and to Civ in general (and Civ V specifically), like the modular starting bonuses that mean you're never really urged to play a specific leader a particular way like you would play Deirdre as a science victory or Venice for economic superiority, and the tech web. Plus there's the lack of the underlying story elements that made AC so interesting, presumably partly due to time/money constraints, but possibly also because making the game narratively driven might scare off the pure 4X folks who just want a sandbox.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Please resize your images to be smaller instead of using the timg for everything.

It is tedious to click all the images.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
This game actually has some excellent worldbuilding but it's buried so deep that most players never even saw it. For me, it really evoked the feeling of trying to tame a completely alien world while pushing into strange new realms of science, but only because I obsessively read every single civpedia entry.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

Tehan posted:

This game actually has some excellent worldbuilding but it's buried so deep that most players never even saw it. For me, it really evoked the feeling of trying to tame a completely alien world while pushing into strange new realms of science, but only because I obsessively read every single civpedia entry.

Isn't that part of the grand tradition of Civ games? Read all of the Civilopedia entries?

Or maybe that's just at my house...

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SilverGryphon posted:

Isn't that part of the grand tradition of Civ games? Read all of the Civilopedia entries?

Or maybe that's just at my house...

Honestly I never read the Civ Civilopedia because I could just read a history textbook instead (I was weird as a kid like that).

The SMAC -pedia was a different story, though again I never dug into leader profiles (I preferred the slide show that played whenever you contacted them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Ugh this game, what a colossal disappointment.

I knew there was something wrong when I was couple of hundred turns in and saw no reason to trade or interact with the other civs in any way, I think the AI felt the same way about me. The lack of luxury resources makes trade really pointless and even on small maps there's plenty of room to expand without stepping on anyone's toes too.

I have no idea what any of the wonders were because they're presented poorly and they don't really net you any really interesting bonuses besides more resources on the whole like they do in other Civ games.

The overall positivist outlook to the future of humanity and technology in this kind of setting really rings hollow and makes for uninteresting story telling, especially considering some of the choices you make in this game. That and some of the writing is just dumb, as opposed to thought provoking like it was in Alpha Centauri.

Maybe it's better now since the expansion pack and several patches, but I doubt it.

• Locked thread