Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Sten Freak posted:

Some guy started a TR7 rebuild thread a couple years ago then disappeared. We had one so I'm really curious to know how it's going. Also someone was doing an 80s or so Jag, also disappeared.

Maybe they both threw in the towel.

I think I was the TR7 guy. It sat in a garage for 22 years, I got it going again, and then all the rubber disintegrated so it didn't get driven as much, and didn't have the $$ or motivation (my wife really didn't like it) to go further with it. I recently got gifted a new car to work on, so I gifted the TR7 on to a colleague's husband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

sharkytm posted:

You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means

:v:

Apparently, gift has been verbed since the 1600s, though I'm usually against the practice. I've also never watched Seinfeld, so I don't have the 'regifting' connotation.

What I wanted to get across was:

Grammar Party posted:

When you use gifted it sounds like you’re doing some thing more special than just giving something to someone. Like you deserve a medal or a certificate of generosity.
Giving isn’t about being the recipient of praise for doing a kind act. But gifting feels like it is—like the focus is on the giver on and not the recipient.
https://grammarpartyblog.com/2012/08/08/gifting-a-rant/
Getting that car felt more special than just him giving it to me. It was a gift, and I wanted to give him more praise than if he had merely given me ... whatever, photographic advice or a beer. I wanted the focus to be on his generosity. A better word hadn't occurred to me, and I didn't want to write a long explanation of what I was trying to get across. :irony: On the other hand, I never felt my giving the TR7 made me worthy of praise, it was really the minimum I could do in response, so mea culpa. My excuse for using was that it kept the parallelism of the sentence.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

He meant you were albatrossing the guy.

DERRRRRRP.
(Perhaps I was being a bit self-conscious about verbing words)

Hey, I gave him a chance to say no.

• Locked thread