Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So recently I was reading this book called Frank Miller's Daredevil and the Ends of Heroism. Towards the start of it, Miller is quoted as saying:

"All my reservations about the character are in how he talks 'cause his visual is still very confident, and very strong - it's just that he never stops whining."

"I don't believe that Spider-Man would last two weeks [as a crime fighter] the way he's conceived. In order to have power over the criminals, you would have to be that rotten; [criminals] would have to accept him as almost one of them... Daredevil has to reach the point where when he walks into a room. they're terrified of him. because he has to be accepted as a force they'll respect. That isn't done much in comic books; it's around in other kinds of fiction. I'm more comfortable with that; I don't see him as being happy go lucky when he's up against a bunch of guys with guns."

Later that day I learned of this Runaways TV show which reminded me of how Whedon put The Punisher in his comic because he simply hates the character and wanted an excuse to beat him up.

And on the topic of Punisher, one of his most famous writers, Garth Ennis, is infamous for putting in characters just so Frank could kick the crap out of them.

All this got me wondering - what comic book writers are known to have a problem with certain characters so they mistreat them either in terms of characterization or power level or that kind of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Ennis dislikes superheroes in general, with the exception of Superman, who he has always had a soft spot for.

But I have to ask -- how is that book? Believe it or not, I just found out it existed yesterday and requested it as an interlibrary loan.

I enjoyed it a lot. I'm not a DD fan really but it touches a lot on everything Miller I'm reading The Dark Knight Returns for the first time and figured knowing more about the...well, interesting character that wrote it would help me further appreciate the classic piece of comic lit.

If you're interested, I snipped out all the parts I found most interesting from the book:

Notably not included in this were the chapter on the "Big Three" of Kingpin, Elektra and Bullseye, as well as a chapter on the art and its importance. Those things interested me less than the rest of it which covered Miller's idea of individual superheroes and what it means to be a superhero in and of itself

• Locked thread