Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

hey folks!

in this thread, I'm going to be playing through pokemon emerald. keen observers might realize that the title screen is a bit... off. well, the gimmick to the thread is that I'm playing a version of the game that was apparently part of some chinese multicart. the translation is predictably pretty wonky, and that's what I'm going to try and showcase. to that end, I'm probably going to skim over a lot of the base game and just focus on weird dialogue and flavor text that I come across. I'm considering trying to fill out the full pokedex (or "mon map" in-game) for the sake of seeing what all the pokedex entries are in the translation, but that's obviously a huge time commitment, so there might be some super rare ones I skip out on.

from part 5 on, I'll be posting video companions that contain unedited footage of myself playing the game, taken from twitch streams I'll be announcing in the thread. if you read the text updates and still hunger for more mon knowledge while you wait for me to finish up the next one, feel free to check them out.

anyway, thread rules:

1) spoiling the base game is fine. it's like 13 years old at this point

2) if you happen to have played through this thing yourself or watched someone else do so, don't spoil aspects of the translation. I'd prefer for it to be a surprise when something dumb happens.

3) standard LP forum rules apply, as always

contents:

part 1: brain games for brain people!

part 2: squeezing into daoji town

part 3: do you want to use avoidance?

part 4: "NOETR abducts an old man," and other stories

part 5: I finally got the main menu

part 5 video companion, featuring myself and tomatogatcha

aside: be good at running

part 6: so close to the vogue

part 6 video companion, featuring myself and tomatogatcha

aside: be not good at swimming

part 7: this is really a fascinating game!

part 7 video companion, featuring myself and husqi

part 8: what is it like on earth?

part 8 video companion, featuring myself and husqi

part 9: plutocrat game

noether fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noether
May 1, 2017

reserved!

The Ayshkerbundy submitted this compelling rendition of the kingshui city teacher's predicament:

also by The Ayshkerbundy, the plight of fishing robert:

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

noether posted:

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

whaddya mean plight, can't you see robert's having the time of his loving life
I dunno, the tiny frown and life of eternal servitude make me think otherwise
That's a giant smile, not a pig nose and dapper mustache

The man just Loves fishing

though perhaps you're right, and his smile hides his true inner sadness

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

The vitreous humour is the most spacious part of the human body

The Ayshkerbundy, on the storage of darens

noether fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 22, 2017

noether
May 1, 2017

brain games for brain people!

hoo-kayyy, let's get this train wreck started.

advancing past the start menu yields these dialogue boxes:

oh thank god! I was worried I'd need to talk to someone to play this game.

anyway, professor birch appears from the void and spins us a yarn about how awesome pokemon are. only...

...in this game, his name is dr. aode. also, nobody ever calls him "dr. mon." I don't think anyone calls him "aode" either, but that's beside the point.

in general, proper nouns are romanized versions of chinese words, the exceptions being pokemon names and at least one town.

I'm going with the male protagonist. I kind of hate may's hair... not that this kid's weird jotaro hat is especially less bizarre.

names can only be five characters long. I guess that would work okay in chinese, but it's super inconvenient in english.

the keyboards are kind of weird. there's a bunch of japanese punctuation thrown in with the roman alphanumerics. the other two keyboards will show up later on.

I'm just naming this kid after myself, because I'm uncreative.

and we're off! the mystical world of wonky hoenn awaits us.

I hope they poked some airholes in there.

our starting town is "tianyuan town" now. mom lets us out of the truck and shows us to our room.

brain kid has brain fun playing brain games!! if only I was half as brain as him.

irritatingly, the game tends to be written so that there are a lot of messages that don't fit into one box, so there's like one word hanging out alone. this one is supposed to say "is a pride display of noetr!"

pokemon are called "mons" in this game. not as dumb as "elfs" in the vietcrystal game, but it's still a bit odd.

the computer ui is quite mysterious. apparently the translators mixed up "store" the verb with "store" the noun, and item storage is a shop now.

unfortunately, we cannot drive the war rig across the outback. maybe once we're old enough to get a license.

as usual, there's a potion in the computer.

the "chang" option in the first menu leads here. "the chosen things" sounds simultaneously really grandiose and really stupid

drat it! I like having things :(

anyway, once we go back downstairs, mom lets us know that "dr. odd" is in town. this is what everyone calls professor birch in-game. no wonder he's pushing the whole "dr. mon" thing!

if we visit birch and may's house, we can talk to may's younger sibling of ambiguous gender. I think they had a coughing fit in the middle of that line or something

may also plays the brain games!! lotsa brainy people in this town, I guess.

er... that looks more like you're just shitposting.

after we're done in there, we gotta go talk to birch again

that girl has good ears, I guess

birch is getting harassed by the local wildlife. I guess we should save him.

oh hey, the ui is finally using his actual name.

we get a choice between frog, fbird, and wmon, the thornmons, birdmons, and fishmons, respectively. fbird is gonna be our starter for this playthrough.

I-I mean, I think it is...

let's test out our fresh mon against this erat. I guess erat is a rat you use in your computer or something.

all of the attack names are shuffled around like crazy and poorly translated to begin with. here, "scratch" is "confu."

we confu'd the poor thing until it couldn't go anymore. now I feel bad.

$$$mons only appreciate in value! invest now!$$$

as a reward for being a big damned hero, birch gives us our starter. I was going with a sound effect naming scheme for a while, then I started naming stuff after some internet friends I was talking to while I was playing, but once I run through the backlog I have, feel free to suggest names. can't guarantee I'll use them, but you folks are probably more clever than I am anyway. brain games!! like this are wayy over my head :P

even the sign outside the lab calls him dr. odd! what did he do to deserve that title, I wonder...

anyway, that's it for this update. next time, we'll go check out the next town over and check up on may.

noether fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 12, 2017

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I remember watching an lp of Vietnamese crystal, so I'm interested to see how this turns out.

noether
May 1, 2017

guns for tits posted:

I remember watching an lp of Vietnamese crystal, so I'm interested to see how this turns out.

vietnamese crystal is something else. I don't think this one is quite as consistently absurd as that one is, but there's a ton of stuff that's just a little off. hopefully, people will find that engaging in its own way

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
dr. mon is a good-rear end name tho, i love when bad translations accidently stumble on greatness

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

This is calling up fond memories of Vietnamese Crystal, as well as the Adventures of Simon Chubby and the Albert Family.
https://levelskip.com/rpgs/fansub
What's a few rounds of translation between friends? Hilarity, that's what.

I will be following this all the way. It's a marvel. :munch:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, I love messy translations. "Brain games!!" alone made me laugh.

Can't wait to see how this gets even more impressively weird.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I hope we incidentally end up with an entire cookbook like in the Vietnamese crystal LP

There were like 5 different recipes for volcano bakemeat alone

noether
May 1, 2017

GeneX posted:

I hope we incidentally end up with an entire cookbook like in the Vietnamese crystal LP

There were like 5 different recipes for volcano bakemeat alone

dear god, some of those bakemeat recipes are disturbing!

so far, a lot of the pokedex entries involve what the mons eat, so there might actually be something there. I'll keep my eyes peeled for references to traditional hoenn cuisine :cheeky:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
was this a translation made before there was an english release of this game or did some chinese cart pirates just run a chinese rom through a machine translator without even thinking 'wait there's an english version of this rom'

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

was this a translation made before there was an english release of this game or did some chinese cart pirates just run a chinese rom through a machine translator without even thinking 'wait there's an english version of this rom'

it's probably the latter, and you need to remember that by doing it this way they're able to sell it for cheaper then 40 bucks that emerald is, so there being an english version has no bearing on anything

noether
May 1, 2017

squeezing into daoji town

:birddrugs:

it looks spacious, but distances are only a fraction of what they appear in this particular demi-plane. without practice, it's easy to miss your knife and fork and deck the folks in the next booth over.

"let" me wait? you did that on purpose, didn't you? :argh:

...unfortunately for me, the creators of this bootleg were good enough at english that we don't gently caress our bag like in vietcrystal

mon mart many mon things place in shelf

my mon has a terminal case of saturday night fever that can only be healed through the power of song!

time for the first rival fight! let's slug eachother ineffectually until someone lands a lucky crit!

trainer names are generally in the format <name> of <trainer class>, which kinda makes it sound like there's a town full of youngster joeys somewhere in the wilderness like the mages in FFIX or something.

chuzi got a crit before I did :mad:

all restorative items "resume" something, in this case "stren."

it feels like I just got him and he's already about to graduate elementary school. they grow up so fast~

whoawhoawhoawhoawhoa we won chuzi?! if I lose a battle, do I become someone's slave? jeez, I don't know how I feel about this whole adventuring thing anymore... :psyduck:

the money in-game is in yuan, the currency of china.

back in town, aode bestows upon us the pokede- er, mon map.

we can't afford to care about whether mons are "lovely" or not! we gotta catch them all, drat it!

just like... in the middle of the field? :stare:

also, you don't need to change your whole outfit to put new shoes on, ya dweeb!

on the way back to daoji town, I caught some swanky mons:

I grabbed both a male and a female brbug since apparently their evolution path is partially dependent on sex. hopefully those are the only two I'll need.

I also took a quick detour back to route 103 and caught these guys:

so far, creak's gotten me a new soldering iron, a set of screwdrivers, and a circular saw. I'd say this mon is pretty useful.

I guess sgull is an air-to-air only kind of unit like a corsair or valkyrie or something. seems like a huge drawback; I can't imagine what was going through gamefreak's head when they designed that one.

the mons are coming out to me like crazy! I'm not sure what they're coming out as, but I'm determined to be supportive in any case.

dude, I've been playing for like 15 minutes. any rear end in a top hat can get here.

...sometimes chinese emerald is ridiculously on-the-nose.

unfortunately, insect-boy does not have a magical girl-esque transformation sequence, nor does he have any insect-based superpowers to speak of.

the translators, in general.

yet another example of society reducing women to the clothes they wear! truly a shameful display.

route 102 mons:

my spirit animal! I will be using the poo poo out of this strongful magic child

so like, if you've ever been to the cleaning pool and seen a monster there... it's one of these guys, I guess.

so uh, it took a while to get the perce, and I ran into a shiny brbug. gently caress, now I'm obligated to use this thing, huh?

gently caress.

anyway, that's all for this update! next time, we'll hang out with dad and visit a corporate dystopia!

noether fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 12, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This looks to be magical.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

noether posted:

I grabbed both a male and a female brbug since apparently their evolution path is partially dependent on sex. hopefully those are the only two I'll need.

It doesn't. What Wurmple (or, err, "BRbug") evolves into depends on a hidden value, not gender.

Also, uhh, "has no effect"? Until that one the translations for what abilities do made some sense (about as much as some of the oficially translated ones do, even, ""Super effective" hits" to give the worst example) but here somehow "Squama" is apparently a completely worthless ability. I even get where it comes from, since Shield Dust prevents added effects, so I can see it becoming "has no effect" in a terrible translation, but it sure gives off the completely wrong impression, huh?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
A shiny wurmple :cripes:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

It doesn't. What Wurmple (or, err, "BRbug") evolves into depends on a hidden value, not gender.

Also, uhh, "has no effect"? Until that one the translations for what abilities do made some sense (about as much as some of the oficially translated ones do, even, ""Super effective" hits" to give the worst example) but here somehow "Squama" is apparently a completely worthless ability. I even get where it comes from, since Shield Dust prevents added effects, so I can see it becoming "has no effect" in a terrible translation, but it sure gives off the completely wrong impression, huh?
Look, you try coming up with a good description when you're working with such a small character limit.

noether
May 1, 2017

tiistai posted:

A shiny wurmple :cripes:

I know, right? of all the things to randomly get a shiny of, it's a friggin' brbug

Blaze Dragon posted:

ah, I guess the faq I was looking at was inaccurate.

and to be fair, brbug is a pretty ineffectual mon anyway. it still kinda makes sense, just... not how they intended it to.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The pokedex descriptions read like they're written by a 4-year-old, it's adorable.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

This is going to be a very strongful LP.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm so upset, I've just finished a Pokemon LP and didn't get a single shiny. You get one in the second update???

Wurmple's evolution is based on the second half of its personality value, but the way it's calculated makes it a 50/50 chance anyway. Shiny Dustox is more noticeable, but a little too brown for me, while shiny Beautifly is more subtle, but pretty cool looking.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Congrats on your Bright Bug

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Yeah, this'll be a fun ride

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
there are a ton of good nicknames in this already, jesus

mods please rename me to Heshu of PantsChild thx

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

I'm so upset, I've just finished a Pokemon LP and didn't get a single shiny. You get one in the second update???

For now, I'm going to assume that the bootleg hosed with the shiny code somehow and in this game every other pokemon is shiny. This'll be confirmed when they start running into shinies left and right.

It's a more satisfying explanation than this being a pure coincidence. :colbert:

noether
May 1, 2017

Crosspeice posted:

I'm pretty sure i qualify as some kinda lesser succubus, so it's probably the luck of the devil on my side :cheeky:

my luck tends towards extremes in general, though. I'm sure something monumentally unfortunate will happen later on to even things out. fwiw, this is only maybe the second shiny I've seen ever, and it's trapped forever in this incomprehensible hellscape.

Carbon dioxide posted:

For now, I'm going to assume that the bootleg hosed with the shiny code somehow and in this game every other pokemon is shiny.

very possible. I don't think I ran into any on my last serious attempt at playing through this (got up to flannery's gym, I think) but that was like 2 years ago, and my memory is notoriously bad. I certainly would not protest if half my final team was shiny, though.

noether fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 8, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
This is based on the Japanese version, as it calls youngsters shorts boys and lasses miniskirts. Yes, apparently, the Japanese trainer class name is literally "miniskirt."

The Pokemon names aren't though, and I am sort of afraid they are actually describing somewhat literally.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Could be worse, the shiny could be the first Zigazoon or Poochyena you fight in this game. :shepicide:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
This is definitely a magical translation.

Squama is one of the best names I've seen.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is based on the Japanese version, as it calls youngsters shorts boys and lasses miniskirts. Yes, apparently, the Japanese trainer class name is literally "miniskirt."

The Pokemon names aren't though, and I am sort of afraid they are actually describing somewhat literally.

The Pokemon names are definitely due to being translated from Chinese. Chinese Pokemon names are very direct about what they are (except for the hilariously lying ones, like Porygon being 3D Dragon).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

noether posted:

yet another example of society reducing women to the clothes they wear! truly a shameful display.
I want a girl with a miniskirt and a looooooooooong BRbug

noether
May 1, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

that's interesting! I remember reading that there weren't official chinese localizations for the longest time because of trade issues (which may very well still be a thing), so it would make sense that they'd have to use the japanese one. I guess since pokemon names are kind of nonsense puns and stuff, the chinese pirates would just have to make their best guess at what they were looking at. I'm interested to see what they came up with for some of the more esoteric mons.

get that OUT of my face posted:

I want a girl with a miniskirt and a looooooooooong BRbug

there's a .gif of bailey jay floating around out there that comes to mind...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

noether posted:

my luck tends towards extremes in general, though. I'm sure something monumentally unfortunate will happen later on to even things out. fwiw, this is only maybe the second shiny I've seen ever, and it's trapped forever in this incomprehensible hellscape.

There are emulators out there that can emulate a link cable connection between two instance of the emulator. Try transferring this thing to a legit ROM and see how badly your save gets corrupted. :D

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

noether posted:

I'm pretty sure i qualify as some kinda lesser succubus

um your av clearly says you're a cutesy shoggoth, please don't lie to us

noether
May 1, 2017

Carbon dioxide posted:

There are emulators out there that can emulate a link cable connection between two instance of the emulator. Try transferring this thing to a legit ROM and see how badly your save gets corrupted. :D

that'll have to be the finale or something: cast the team into the void and see what happens. the reverse might be fun to try too, since there's a handful of mons that I can't catch in emerald anyway. I'll have to get a r/s run started on the side or something.

mandatory lesbian posted:

um your av clearly says you're a cutesy shoggoth, please don't lie to us

my mom's a succubus and my dad's a shoggoth. if you're into women with lots of eyes and mouths and getting your soul sucked out through your genitals, I'm your girl :cheeky:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

noether posted:

my mom's a succubus and my dad's a shoggoth. if you're into women with lots of eyes and mouths and getting your soul sucked out through your genitals, I'm your girl :cheeky:

I'm pretty sure this is pokemon and not SMT

noether
May 1, 2017

GeneX posted:

I'm pretty sure this is pokemon and not SMT

eh, some of the pokedex entries were enough to have me hiding under my bedsheets as a kid.

man, now I'm curious what the mon map entries will be for duskull and shedinja and such.

noether
May 1, 2017

do you want to use avoidance?

welcome to tianyuan city! astute readers might remember that the starting village was called tianyuan town. apparently the powers that be in the hoenn region were pretty uncreative when it came to coming up with names for things.

apparently we arrived at the gym while the cleaning crew was still scraping up the remains of the last fool our father's slaking pulverized. maybe we should kill some time and let them finish so we don't get mon viscera all over our nice new running shoes.

the pokemon center contains this unusual fellow:

I hope you remembered the "mad libs" people, thread.

...because the bootleggers sure didn't. the only page in there that actually had recognizable words on it was the one with the mon names, which I assume were just grabbed from somewhere else in memory.

yes! make it stop! I can only handle so much madness!

continuing the trend of surreal conversations, this boy is gazing into the pond:

I... I don't even know anymore, kiddo.

hold on, I need a minute.

maybe the mon mart has some mon things that can take the edge off.

did this guy just tell me to gently caress off?

one thank is enough. the gratitude economy is tight these days, you see.

dad's training field is probably neat by now. let's go say hi!

of course, daofu butts in mid-conversation and demands a mon apropos of nothing.

y-you want to catch me? :blush:

daofu, you gently caress! do you have any idea how long I ran around in the weeds to make that stupid trans/dark souls joke last update?

I take that blush back, gently caress you.

daofu proves to be pretty competent at balls-casting.

some pickup-artist-looking guy stops us on the way out of town to neg us a bit. he's typically long-winded, so I'm gonna just transcribe his monologue:

you're there! are you mon trainer? ah is your coat not dirty? a trainer regarded as model should pay attention to his appearance. I am looking for hte (sic) trainer with talent. I have no time

:jerkbag:

back on the road, this swimtrunkschild is strolling the beaxh

how would you pronounce that? is the 'x' a "cks" sound, or maybe a hard 'h' like in xavier? is it like a 'z' or something when you romanize some chinese names?

yeah, it's all well and good until you get in the car to go home and the sand starts rubbing off all over everything, and then you get home and change and the sand falls out of every orifice in your body, including three you didn't know you had.

my mon have been playing brain games!! since before you were born, bucko!

janqi, a man whose name describes the condition of the game he's in

yeah, you heard me!

I mean, if I close my eyes and think of the word "girl," this is basically what comes to mind, so I guess they were on the money with that one

route 104 is divided into two segments by the forest (which is just called "the forest" in-game) that both have the same random encounters. on this route, I caught:

an oddly verbose mon map entry.

next up is the forest. now, it can get pretty labyrinthine in there, so the local park authority put up some handy signs-

oh. I guess I'm gonna have to hope that one of my mons is an orienteering nerd or something.

I don't appreciate you talking about GWDLN like that, mister!

uhp, team aqua's here to cause trouble, as they are want to do

actions, you say?

yeah, he- he just said that, dude.

I WOULD LIKE TO NO LONGER BE IN THE WOODS WITH THIS MAN

my entire life has led to this moment... I must now fight the earth!!!

the entire planet defeated, NOETR retires to a mountain lodge in the sierra nev-

OH poo poo THERE'S A SECOND EARTH

after back-to-back exterminati, SLAM graduates high school :toot:

NOETR wonders how long that brbug-looking thing in their trousers has been there. was it there this morning? nah, couldn't have been. would've noticed.

VGmon are known for their propensity to steal candy from babies and engage in bad faith arguments on the internet

the park service drops the ball yet again.

on the way out of the woods, I grabbed these folks:

pink, so called because it's pink.

"ecdysis" apparently refers to the process of shedding skin.

outside, seven megavolt batteries grow on a tree. NOETR handles them carefully with the thickest rubber gloves they can find.

a sign describes double battles as "double tennis games." close enough.

I mean, if you put it that way...

once again, chinese emerald is really on the nose

...says the miniskirt, after losing a fight

:stare:

...I need to get my mind out of the gutter.

and finally, we get to, uh... old. water.

you know, maybe it would've been best if they'd just called the place "neo tianyuan city" or something.

anyway, that's it for this update. I had originally intended for this to cover some of old water, but there turned out to be a lot more content in between towns than I thought. next update, we'll actually explore the local late-stage capitalist dystopia.

noether fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 12, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know if it's on my end or imgur's, but I can't see any images - you should probably by using lpix anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noether
May 1, 2017

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't know if it's on my end or imgur's, but I can't see any images - you should probably by using lpix anyway.

hmm, that's odd. I switched to my phone and it still loads the images fine. I wonder if anyone else is having issues...

• Locked thread